• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us - Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale (October 11th-17th)

RBH

image_thumb.png

UPDATE

The Buy 2 Get 1 free game sale is now LIVE on the Toys R Us website:

http://www.toysrus.com/

-Use coupon code 931085 to get $10 off for orders $75 or more.

-In addition, coupon code 931081 takes $15 off for orders that are $150 or more.

Certain pre-orders were previously working for this deal on the website, but TRU has fixed this glitch and now all pre-orders DO NOT work with this deal whether it be online or in-store.

List of pre-orders that were working with this deal, but not anymore:

MikeE21286 said:
Here's a quick list for people of preorders identified so far....

Working

Wii
A Boy and His Blob

PS3

Bayonetta
Bioshock 2
Brutal Legend
Dark Void
DJ Hero PS3
Heist
Mafia II
MAG
Splatterhouse
Uncharted 2

Bayonetta
Bioshock 2
Brutal Legend
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 Prestige Edition
Dark Void
Heist
Mafia II
Magna Carta 2
Splatterhouse
Tony Hawk Ride

DS
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon - Explorers of Sky

Not

Alpha Protocol
Assassin's Creed 2
Blur
Borderlands
Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 (any version not 360 Prestige Edition)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare: Reflex
Darksiders
Demon's Souls (not listed)
DJ Hero 360
Dragon Age
Fifa 10
Forza 3
God of War 3 (not listed)
Gran Turismo 5
GTA Chinatown Wars PSP
Guitar Hero Van Halen
Heavy Rain
Jak and Daxter PSP
Left 4 Dead 2
Lost Planet 2
Mass Effect 2 (not listed)
MotorStorm: Arctic Edge PS2
New Super Mario Bros.
Racthet and Clank
Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles
Tekken 6
That Saboteur
Tony Hawk Ride (PS3)
Zelda Spirit Tracks (not listed)

Example:

1060cg1.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Toys R Us is reportedly holding their annual Buy 2 Get 1 Free game sale from October 11th to October 17th this year.

UPDATE: B2G1 FREE on all accessories $5 to $100

http://x2theg.blogspot.com/2009/10/toys-us-holding-buy-2-get-1-free-game.html

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE

Ok, here we go...

All the new PSN/XBL/Wii cards that activate at the register when purchased, will not be included in this sale. These items are not even considered physical inventory, but commissioned gift cards, and categorized as gift cards, not video game accessories.

If your store still has some old stock of any XBL/Wii points cards in the blister packs, these should be included in the sale.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6365859&postcount=587
So it looks like point cards will basically NOT be included in the B2G1 free sale for accessories (unless you can find some old stock of the point cards in the blister packs).

Notable game releases that fall within the sale:

Brutal Legend
Uncharted 2
Demon's Souls
NBA 2K10
NBA Live 10
Wii Sports Resort bundle (w/ two MotionPlus units)
Fallout 3: Game of the Year Edition
A Boy and His Blob
Afrika

Feel free to mention any other game releases that I may have forgotten.

FAQ written by drdarkstryfe on CAG from last year's sale:

drdarkstryfe said:
"Official Toys R Us B2G1 FAQ
Date of Sale: Sunday, October 12th - Saturday, October 18th 2008

In an effort to help the gaming masses, this FAQ will try to answer all questions you may have about this year's Toys R Us sale. It will also help you out in getting more bang out of your buck, how returns and exchanges will be handled, and any other interesting tidbits you may need answered. Any questions, comments, concerns, issues, gripes can be made here.

The Sale
Buy any two video games from anything in stock, and get a third game for free. The free game will either be the cheapest one, or the third game of three games with the same price point.

Is the sale online?
Yes, but until the deal goes online I do not know if there will be restrictions based on system or price point.

Is the deal available in Canada?
Sorry Canuckers

So if I buy three $60 games, I get a $60 game for free?

Yes, you can pick up any three games, at any price point. If three games are the same price the third one rang up at the register will be the free one.

Can I only get three games?
No, you can get as many games as you want, in multiples of three, and you will get a third free for every two you buy.

Can I mix and match my three games?
Yes, you can choose between all available systems for your three games. Example, you can buy two PS3 titles and one Wii title and get the least expensive one free.

What about bundled games (ex. DMC Triple Pack) of games that come with an accessory (ex. Guitar Hero)?

These games are also a part of the sale. As long as the product comes with video game software, no matter the price, it will count for the sale. The only exclusion will be the Wii Zapper.

But a game that comes out the 14th is what I really want, what about that?
Any game that comes out during the week of the sale will be part of the sale. For games that come out after the sale, see the Placeholder section of the FAQ.

Can I preorder a game as one of my games?
No. Unlike a Gamestop, you cannot fully put money down on future titles, only a small, $5 deposit. Games that come out after the 20th of October are not part of the sale.

How the Deal works at the register
(PAY ATTENTION IF YOU ARE CHANCING A RETURN)

Example one, three games, different prices.
000000000000 PS2 Madden 2007 $49.99
000000000000 X360 Dead Rising $59.99
000000000000 NDS Nintendogs Dalmation $29.99

When the three games get rung up, this is how they look on your receipt before the deal is taken off.
000000000000 NDS Nintendogs Dalmation $0.00

After the Total key is hit, the game that is the cheapest will go to $0.00. Does not matter the order it is rung, the cheapest one always comes off.

Example two, three games same price
000000000000 X360 Lego Star Wars 2 $49.99
000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $49.99

Once again, before the Total key is hit.

000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $0.00

When there are three games with the same price, the third game in the list will ALWAYS be the one that comes off as free.

Example three, six games or more, different prices

Before Total is hit.

000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $0.00
000000000000 NDS Nintendogs Dalmation $0.00

When six games or more are bought, the system looks at games three at a time, depending in which order they were scanned, from top to bottom. Here we see that the third $49.99 game scanned, and the $29.99 game came off. It is very crucial that you pay attention to the order that the games are being scanned in when purchasing six or more titles.

Example four, odd amount of games purchased

Before the Total key

000000000000 PS2 Valkyrie Profile 2 $ 0.00

The register system will always look at the three most expensive games, making the free one out of that set. If you purchase an odd number of games, you do not have to worry if one of them is priced a lot lower then the ones you want for the sale.

Paying attention and knowing this stuff is incredibly important when you are buying multiples of games, and "placeholder" titles for mid week releases.

Return Policy
TRU's video game return policy is 45 days, unopened with a dated receipt or gift receipt. If the game is opened, it can only be exchanged with the same title. No exceptions.

Due to how the deal is rang up, the games that do not come up free can be returned or exchanged for it's full value. The game that rings up free cannot be returned or exchanged because it has no value, only if it is defective can it be exchanged for the same title. Make sure the free game is something you want, or you are pretty much boned.

TRU's M-Rated Policy
Toys R Us has a very strict policy towards M rated software. A very small selection of M rated titles are in view on the floor, the rest are kept locked up behind the register in the glass case. You must be 17 or older with proper identification to buy any M rated game at TRU. If you are interested in a M rated title you do not see, ask an associate if they have it locked up in the back.

How to properly buy Placeholder games
I cannot guarantee this will work at all Toys R Us stores, some management might be against the idea, use at your own risk.

If a game you really want is coming out after the sale ends, but you don't want to risk missing out on something on the shelves right now, the step by step here is what you do. Remember, the return policy is set at 45 days from purchase.

1. Pick the two games that you want.

2. Pick up a game that has the same price point as the game coming out, and the same price point as the two games you picked up. Example, if the game you want is $60, buy three $60 games during the week.

3. Make sure that every third game rung up, the free one, is NOT the placeholder game, but one you want to keep. DO NOT LOSE THE RECEIPT!

4. When the game you want comes in, bring the receipt and the placeholder game to the customer service desk, and tell them that you want to exchange the game for something else. Make sure you make specific that you want to keep the one or two games, and that you want one or two different games instead. MAKE SURE THE GAME YOU WANT TO RETURN IS NOT OPENED.

5. If everything is in order, the exchange will be finished and enjoy your new game!"

img002.jpg

RBH

HUELEN10 said:
Refresh me, do pre-orders count?
Most likely not. I don't remember them counting in previous years.

Kintaro said:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU... wait, In store only or online as well?
Should be both in-store and online (I believe the past two years were like that). But even online, you'll have to grab what you want quick before it goes OOS.

Nelo Ice

Banned
surprisingly i dont need to partcipate this year since im getting brutal legend and arkham asylum cheaper than what i would be payin for b2g1 and the only other game i would want would be nba 2k10(i only have a 360) :lol

datamage

Good timing,

I'll definitely grab UC2 + Brutal Legend. If they both release on the 13th, when does TRU usually get their new releases?

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
A Boy and His Blob comes out that week too.

I'm thinking I'll pick up Brutal Legend, Dead Space Extraction and blob maybe.

VideoMan said:
A Boy and His Blob comes out that week too.

I'm thinking I'll pick up Brutal Legend, Dead Space Extraction and blob maybe.
Thanks for the reminder on Blob. That leaves me with Uncharted, Blob and _____

I need a third game, what else is hitting? Anything for ds?

DMeisterJ

Banned
I really wanted to get Uncharted 2 and a BT headset, but I may just get Uncharted 2, Demon's Souls, and then get NGS2. :eek:

daycru

Concept17 said:
Ugh, why can't this include Borderlands?
Just buy a random third game and swap it for Borderlands when they get it. I worked a season at TRU in the R Zone a couple of years ago, people were constantly coming back to swap their B2G1 games.

daycru

The battle plan is to go on the 13th to pick up Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend, and a random 3rd game. Will be swapping that random game for Borderlands when that comes.

daycru said:
Just buy a random third game and swap it for Borderlands when they get it. I worked a season at TRU in the R Zone a couple of years ago, people were constantly coming back to swap their B2G1 games.

What's the best way to do this without coming across sketchy?

I have a $20 Gift card that came with ODST. I think I'll be picking up Uncharted 2, Brutal Legend and hmmmm... Arkham Asylum, maybe.

RBH

DMeisterJ said:
You can B2G1 on any three games right? Not just ones that release that week?
Yes, any three games for any platform (both consoles and handhelds). Doesn't have to be just new releases.

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
niiiiiiiiiiice I can get Live and 2K10 then pick up something random like Rock Rev!

DMeisterJ

Banned
RBH said:
Yes, any three games for any platform (both consoles and handhelds). Doesn't have to be just new releases.

Oh, okay. Some of the responses were confusing me.

Can you swap a game for something of equal or lesser value? Like I don't really want a third game on top of Uncharted 2 and Demon's Souls, so I was going to buy NGS2, but I still haven't beaten NGS, so it would be much more useful for me to have the other two games, and the PS BT Headset... Would they let me swap NGS2 for the headset, provided that I get the cashier to scan NGS2 as the item I pay for, and make Demon's Souls the free one?

Perfect timing to use the $20 gift card I got with Halo:ODST, it expires at the end of Oct.

Uncharted 2 for sure, I'll just cancel my preorder at gamestop. NBA2k10 will make a good 2nd game...now what to get for free...

Barrett2

As others have said, this really is nice since a lot of us have $20 ODST gift cards burning holes in our pockets. This will be the first time I visited a Toys R Us twice in the same month since I was 12. :lol

I think for the first time since they started doing this sale, I won't be participating in it. Thanks to Amazon, their $10 gift credits, and ECA 10%, no tax, and free shipping, it turns out cheaper than doing this deal. Examples are ODST for $44, Rock Band Beatles for $38, and Uncharted 2 for $41. So from all that I have nothing left to buy. =)

On a more interesting note, BEWARE of trying to do placeholders. Every year, TRU seems to get wiser and wiser on this issue and it becomes harder to do. The last time I tried to do it last year I got a lot of grief at two locations but had no problem at one other location. The worrysome thing is who is at the customer service desk and managers are way more strict than the average person but they are often there. Another thing to keep in mind is when you hand them the receipt, they key it into their computer and it will show the whole transaction so even working from just gift receipts, they will know it was a B2G1 deal. So be very careful about all this and either set yourself up so that you don't mind losing the free game and you end up returning all three or at least be content that you'll keep all three. Also if you don't mind, try multiple stores if the first one fails.

I seem to recall this sale (or another?) including video game accessories last year... Anyone know if that'll be the case this year? I need an Xbox wifi adapter...

gokieks

Thinking I'll get Uncharted 2 (definite), Batman Arkham Asylum (definite, on PS3 since I won't be taking advantage of the nVidia free PC version offer), and Fallout 3 GOTY (maybe... not an ideal choice since it's not a game I'm all that interested in, but not finding anything else I really want either).

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Well I was gonna get NBA Live and Uncharted 2 so maybe I will get Brutal legend after all.

This sounds good to me. I will probably do similar to what I did last year. This happened around the time Dead Space came out last year.

I will buy Live this Tuesday, I dont want to wait, at EB (switch over my $5 Uncharted Preorder to Live). Then when the Buy 2 get 1 happens, I will Get Live, Uncharted 2, and Brutal Legend.

Then I will take the Unopened Live back to EB for a Refund. I did that exact same thing with Dead Space last year cause I didn't want to wait for it.

Was planning on getting Brutal Legend and Fallout 3 GOTY, now I can get Afrika for free, nice! And I don't even have to cancel my GS preorder for the limited edition Demon's Souls.

It's weird, I haven't bought a PS3 or 360 retail game at launch since MGS4. But now there's tons of games coming out that I want. These four will keep me busy for quite a while.

360 version of Fallout 3 is better than the PS3 one, right? (I own both systems)

Let's see . . . Hmm.

UC2 . . . and . . . well, I already have Brutal Legend pre-ordered.

Hmm . . . maybe NBA 2K10 for my nephew?

I'll probably buy 3 copies of NHL 2K10 for ($100) and then send copies to friends so I'll have someone to play online. :lol

Oooh, maybe Fallout-GOTY . . . I assume that comes with various add-on packs?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I got away with the placeholder trick very easy last year. I bought my games and asked for a gift receipt, they had to re-ring the transaction again in order for them to produce a gift receipt, but somehow they left my free game out of the transaction completely. I think they only re-rang the transaction to make it less of a hassle for me to go to customer service and get one or something. But for anyone that wants to try it, buy the games and ask for a gift receipt afterwards. They probably won't give you one during the transaction since we're not that close to the holidays yet.

Alex

Would they actually get UC2 and Brutal Legend in on the 13th, or would it be later for them

Mindlog

Firestorm said:
No. Have to do the return trick.

And before someone asks, US Only. Not in Canada.

Worked for me last year. This sale owns me.

I had a gift receipt, but I don't think I needed it. Customer service worked with me. It probably helps that I'm one charming motherfucker.

Top Bottom