• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Tragically Heterosexual) Marriage System Announced For Fire Emblem Awakening

Nintendo has announced that the marriage system will be returning to the Fire Emblem series in Awakening. This is the first time marriage has been integrated since Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu.

The second Iwata Asks column for Fire Emblem Awakening reveals that this original 3DS entry in the series has love elements

Genki Yokota, the game's director on Nintendo's side, explained that one of the major themes for the new game is love of the characters, so he really wanted to add a marriage system to the game. Producer Hitoshi Yamagami felt the same way, saying that the marriage elements from Super Famicom's Fire Emblem Seisen no Keifu, the first time such elements appeared in the series, left a great impression in him.

For Awakening's marriage system, they increased the variation of the possible couple combinations. You can marry any of your allies, and your My Unit characters too.

The development staff created special graphics for proposals. Some on the team even suggested that they make kiss faces for all the characters.

Source

The article says you can marry any of your units, so hopefully that mean same sex marriage will be available as well. That would be quite a progressive step for Nintendo. (Edit #2: Though now it's looking like it will be restricted to straight pairings only, sadly.)

The full Ask Iwata article is here. If anyone can find some more information on this, that would be great.

Edit: A new trailer featuring the marriage system can be seen here. (It's at the very end of the trailer.)

Seda

The article says you can marry any of your units, so hopefully that mean same sex marriage will be available as well. That would be quite a progressive step for Nintendo.

Nintendo's certainly not a generation behind here if that's the case.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
The only thing Nintendo can get right.

Not really. Fire Emblem's had gay and bisexual characters for years.

Mostly in entries that haven't left Japan though, and usually it's just alluded to. This would be the first direct implementation that lets the players decide, to my knowledge.

Emitan

Mostly in entries that haven't left Japan though, and usually it's just alluded to. This would be the first direct implementation that lets the players decide, to my knowledge.
Fire Emblem 7 has a love triangle between a man, his sister, and his effeminate friend. This is not new territory for this series in the west.

My Unit x Anna OTP

cj_iwakura

Heck, ask the PoR shippers, and they'll say Ike X Soren was canon. :p

It'll only be Elincia for Ike in my heart. :(

Fire Emblem 7 has a love triangle between a man, his sister, and his effeminate friend. This is not new territory for this series in the west.

My Unit x Anna OTP

I don't remember how far they actually push that though. You have to read between the lines for a lot of the pairings. (Though it's been a while since I played FE7, so maybe it's more explicit than I remember.)

Though I get what your saying. One of the best things about the FE series is that they have characters of all types. I'm just saying that I think it's interesting that Nintendo is (potentially) giving players direct control over this now.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
You have to read between the lines for most of this stuff including FE 4.

[conspiracy] This would explain why NoA isn't bringing it over. [/conspiracy]

Emitan

I can't believe my little sister is this cute!
chara01.jpg
chara03.jpg

POMF!

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
So does this confirm
the main party will die half-way through the game and be replaced with their kids?
This definitely sounds like a kitchen sink Fire Emblem. Best parts of previous games rolled into one.

Fire Emblem 4 is all kinds of twisted.
The main villain's plan involves getting the prince/king (I forgot) Alvis to have a child with the shaman Diadora. She was married to the first protagonist Siguld so he kidnapped her and wiped her memory so she would fall in love with Alvis. The reason they need to have a child? They're secretly brother and sister. Alvis's father was a massive womanizer and one of the women gave birth to Diadora. Their child would unleash some sort of evil into the world.
Basically, incest was the key to conquering the world. Don't expect to see this on American shores without a heavy rewrite.

Yes the other FE games had implications of incest (Hi there Eirika and Ephraim) but it was low-key and wasn't important.

Riposte

I judge a game's waifu potential based on whether or not you can permanently kill your spouse. I call it the Henry factor. Fire Emblem makes the cut.

Beth Cyra

Is the Manly Marth looking guy the player character? I haven't followed the game much, I just know it has a a sweet custom 3DS and I was one of the few that actually liked the lead from Radiant Dawn that everyone hated.

CSX

goddamm

wtf NoA JUST ANNOUNCE YOUR LOCALIZATION PLEASSSSSEEEEEEEEE

EDIT : I guess this just reassured that support conversations are back to full form? DOesnt exactly say but sounds like it

Top Bottom