• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trails in the Sky the 3rd |OT| Time's the Charm

Currently in chapter 6.
It makes complete sense for
Cassius
to be tough to beat, I wouldn't want it any other way, but he really kicked my ass lol.
I've only tried once so it might not be as hard as it seems but in case I need to grind a few levels what's the best spot at this point (I'm playing on hard).

Tonton

I don't think you should really need to grind, just build a solid defense with earth wall/grail sphere

He's pretty strong and fast but he's still only one

Taruranto

Finally done with the game.

No idea why it took me so much. I think partially because it was a bit weird going back to TITS after CS, but I also think the game's structure didn't really capture me much?

The final scene in the Phantasma was really sweet, it made remember how much I prefer Tits' character writing compared to CS's.

I don't think you should really need to grind, just build a solid defense with earth wall/grail sphere

He's pretty strong and fast but he's still only one

Yeah, I'll try again before deciding, feels like one of those fights where keeping the party separated might make things easier.
I've only had real trouble with the very first boss, hard difficulty feels alright, definitely better balanced than SC.

Edit: only took a couple of attempts in the end, had to spam earth wall like crazy though.

creid

It took me some fiddling but thanks to Durante's thread I've got the speed hack set up, and I don't know how I played FC and SC without it... Has anyone put together a guide for setting this up? I might throw together some screenshots if no one else has.

On the last chapter, finishing this up before Cold Steel comes out on PC...

Anyone have some recommended grind-spots by level-range for catching the off-party up to speed into the 120's-130's quickly?

Tonton

On the last chapter, finishing this up before Cold Steel comes out on PC...

Anyone have some recommended grind-spots by level-range for catching the off-party up to speed into the 120's-130's quickly?

Enemies in the final dungeon give a lot of exp without being too strong
I grinded a bit in the bonus dungeon and was still getting levels like crazy there, it should suffice to go straight there

varkuriru

Finished last night. Excellent game and great closure for the Sky series. Thanks to Xseed for localizing! As other have mentioned this is indeed "lore no kiseki". So much stuff to think about but, the one thing that intrigues me the most would be this one:
The stigmas, what the hell are they? After beating the final boss the stigma is shown as a solid-ish object.. it makes me think they are some kind advanced device.. or super weapon. It is also interesting how they relate to the dominions and how they relate to the Merkaba ships - those look like space ships. Man, Trails is becoming this generation Xenogears for me :)

Other nifty small details I appreciated from playing CS 1 & 2, spoilers for all games:
- Cassius using that buffing technique, Quingong(?) that the school principal also uses in CS2

- Kilika and Walter using Zero Impact, and so does Angelica.

- Star Door 8 and The Last Choice track. The track kinda sounds like Rising Will / Awakening Will which also has some notes from the Heimdall town track. EDIT: was just playing CS2 and The Last Choice track does play when starting the mission to free the school. Woah!

Ultimadrago

I've finished Trails in the Sky the 3rd today (All doors completed). It's great that this game was finally localized for PC and I'm glad to have followed this journey.

That said, this was easily my least favorite of the three (with Trails in the Sky's 'First Chapter' being my favorite). I'm among those that hated the "Giant Dungeon" format and found filling in the epilogue developments of characters through
flashbacks from magical doors
a really short sell overall. Regardless, the stories told within the doors were rather entertaining and gave me additional insight to some characters' insecurities with another perspective. The inclusion of mini-games was also a pleasant surprise and something I would have liked to see more of in FC and SC.

Keeping things brief, I like Kevin and his relationship with Ries. It unfortunately ends at "like", which is still more than I can say for many JRPGs. That does still mean that the arc didn't quite hit the peaks for me emotionally or mentally that I experienced with the predecessors. The open-ended
Constellation Door
system, while impressive in its implementation (as you may actually teleport to them), lacked the fluidity I preferred while digesting old and new characters in each chapter. It made the whole game feel more like a long add-on rather than the ending of a trilogy or even a good epilogue. Perhaps that wouldn't be an issue if it wasn't for the shoddy implementation.

On a less stern note, while it's my least favorite in the trilogy, it's still another good title from the Trails series that has it elevated among many other JRPG series. In addition, the segmented nature of Trails 3rd also makes the perfect excuse to finally create the Trails Dream Teams players have asked for, at least partially. It's alleviating to have the freedom of my favorite minor characters from past games and have them join my team with the unique event scripting/dialogue Trails does so often.

I might be replaying Cold Steel 1 for its PC release (a game I am even less fond of after the fact) and am anticipating playing Cold Steel 2 for the first time on the same platform. I can only hope it as a series will find its way into my heart as Trails in the Sky has.

P.S. (Major Spoilers and Sun Door 4)
Carnelia existing and playing cards with Gambler Jack and Halle was such a joy!
It felt really good being rewarded with that after reading the great in-game books from FC/SC. Touches like that and the adorable title cards for mini-games truly sprinkled sugar atop the whole thing.

I wish I could say the same of Treasure Chest messages, but: too many were about how the team ran out of ideas, the chests in two major areas had no messages at all and I'm pretty sure I saw repeating messages. I know it's over 300, but those were a bummer. Still, there were some great ones and the encouraging messages from XSEED in the final dungeon chests were swell!

Psxphile

I wish I could say the same of Treasure Chest messages, but: too many were about how the team ran out of ideas, the chests in two major areas had no messages at all and I'm pretty sure I saw repeating messages. I know it's over 300, but those were a bummer. Still, there were some great ones and the encouraging messages from XSEED in the final dungeon chests were swell!

I think it's been implied that those chests were purposely left that way.

Ultimadrago

I think it's been implied that those chests were purposely left that way.

Okay, I was wondering. The locations themselves led me to believe that was perhaps the case, but I wasn't as sure compared to my other complaints.

Speaking of chests, I wonder if the Trails in the Chest stories have been compiled anywhere yet. I never got around to putting them together manually.

Gu4n

Okay, I was wondering. The locations themselves led me to believe that was perhaps the case, but I wasn't as sure compared to my other complaints.

Speaking of chests, I wonder if the Trails in the Chest stories have been compiled anywhere yet. I never got around to putting them together manually.
Added a transcription of them to the Kiseki Wiki.

Psxphile

Took a little too long to get there, but I'm finally done with the 3rd. Great game, don't really have any complaints about it at all. Stellar localization, too. Props to everyone involved.

Psxphile

Just noticed that The 3rd has been patched on Steam with turbo mode and support for DX9. It's in beta at the moment and comes with its own configuration. Also I'm hearing the NG+ broken quartz bug has been fixed.

Just set up Steam Controller profile to have the R2 button be a toggle.
(This does not require an actual Steam Controller, any gamepad should work)

Good suggestion, thanks.

Anyone here play only with the mouse like me? It's so damn convenient and works really well.

One handed gaming running at 1.6 speed, can't go back after trying it.

Ascheroth

Good suggestion, thanks.

Anyone here play only with the mouse like me? It's so damn convenient and works really well.

One handed gaming running at 1.6 speed, can't go back after trying it.
Yes. And I put cheat engine speed toggles on the side buttons of my mouse.

Eusis

Actually, you probably won't need cheat engine now. Check the latest updates and configurations on Steam if you're playing through that, DX9 (beta) and Turbo mode have been added.

I needed to get through this before restarting Cold Steel, and this makes it a hell of a lot more appealing for guaranteed smooth performance plus no fussing around for Turbo mode.

Psxphile

Sounds like Turbo mode in The 3rd is kinda buggy, but Sara's already working on fixes. Curious if anyone experienced weird bugs when using Cheat engine to boost speed.

The 'clipping through geometry' problem especially seems like something that would stick out.

Nyoro SF

Sounds like Turbo mode in The 3rd is kinda buggy, but Sara's already working on fixes. Curious if anyone experienced weird bugs when using Cheat engine to boost speed.

The 'clipping through geometry' problem especially seems like something that would stick out.

There's one spot in Hermit's Garden next to the fountain where you can get stuck between the table and the chair if you use Cheat Engine speed and move too fast!

Thank goodness for autosaves!

Eusis

Hmm, cheat engine is probably safest then, while the in-game option is for those of us feeling like being bold.

But man, after FFXII those kinds of features are now irresistable for JRPGs. At least options to move fast through fields anyway.

Haven't run into any issues because of cheat engine.
Also just played an hour of the beta (currently in chapter 6) and didn't have any issues either.

Eusis

My issues were largely fixed by going into the nVidia Control Panel and forcing it to use the 960m on the game (going into config does seem to help too [and I force the 960m on the config.exe too just to be safe]) and enabling Hardware Vertex Shading, which was a inevitable death sentence on the Intel GPU. Only issues I have now are if the DS4 gets disconnected and reconnects the fps may take a hit, and that screen caps aren't working for saves, an issue I assume either will be fixed eventually or is a much more complicated problem to address due to using DX9 instead of DX8.

Eusis

so that update wasn't new game + fix, I hoped it was, aww
This is a HUGE deal for those of us on optimus laptops. Granted the intel worked PRETTY WELL (especially in laptops with newer Intel processors) but there were still some hiccups and a kind of uneven performance. With this it's buttery smooth with only some kinds that can probably be worked out (and hell, the one I had might be solved via borderless windowed mode, as that was DS4 Windows interrupting for permission to run.)

EDIT: There are other issues I'm noticing (like one with an S-Craft.) I'm happy to try and spot them just because of the more consistent performance, but if you're not dealing with any issues on DX8 and you're not in an experimental mood it probably would be safest to stick with that for now if you just want a reliable experience. Turbo's worth using though, especially if Cheat Engine has the same issues anyway.

Psxphile

so that update wasn't new game + fix, I hoped it was, aww

I literally posted about that yesterday:

Just noticed that The 3rd has been patched on Steam with turbo mode and support for DX9. It's in beta at the moment and comes with its own configuration. Also I'm hearing the NG+ broken quartz bug has been fixed.

There's various posts in the steam thread saying it's been fixed. Unless you're talking about something else I'm not aware of.

You could get stuck in geometry using cheat engine's speedhack too. I have idea if the in-game solution is more prone to this though.
The only issues during my Sky playthroughs, which I can safely attribute to speedhack-ing, were long hangs right after selecting a battle command, but those didn't freeze the game and ultimately ended.

Turbo in Sky's buggy so far, which is fine since the announcement came right out of the blue in a pleasant way. It's cool how it works like a throttle, unlike speedhacking toggling in CE. Players now have more than one way to work around battle animations and backtracking, depending on their needs, which is really more than I expected these games to ever get.

The only issues during Sky playthroughs, which I can safely attribute to speedhack-ing, were long hangs right after selecting a battle command, but those didn't freeze the game and ultimately ended.

Turbo in Sky's buggy so far, which is fine since the announcement came right out of the blue in a pleasant way. It's cool how it works like a throttle, unlike speedhacking toggling in CE. Players now have more than one way to work around battle animations and backtracking, depending on their needs, which is really more than I expected these games to ever get.

I can personally attest to getting stuck in geometry using speedhack, so that's not entirely true.

Erheller

Star Door 4

Looking forward to seeing Kilika and Zin in Calvard.
Goddamn it, I'm getting hyped for a game that won't even be announced for another year or two.

Squire

Banned
Hopefully someone can help me. I'm looking for a specific clarification on what needs to be done to access Star Door 14.

I've done all three stages of the fishing mini game, the Capua siblings mini-game on Easy, and the Arena fights on Normal and Hard. Is that (along with having seen every other door) sufficient to get the door? Do I need to do all stages of every mini game? (I haven't done any of Gambler Jack or the quiz game yet, but obviously I'll need to.)

Any help is appreciated!

Tonton

Hopefully someone can help me. I'm looking for a specific clarification on what needs to be done to access Star Door 14.

I've done all three stages of the fishing mini game, the Capua siblings mini-game on Easy, and the Arena fights on Normal and Hard. Is that (along with having seen every other door) sufficient to get the door? Do I need to do all stages of every mini game? (I haven't done any of Gambler Jack or the quiz game yet, but obviously I'll need to.)

Any help is appreciated!
You only need the first difficulty for the Sun Doors when available

I just started playing this tonight.

Can anyone tell me when you get the bonuses from your SC save? I thought I loaded my data, but I'm in Chapter 1 and nothing appears to have happened. I might need to restart.

Ascheroth

I just started playing this tonight.

Can anyone tell me when you get the bonuses from your SC save? I thought I loaded my data, but I'm in Chapter 1 and nothing appears to have happened. I might need to restart.
You're fine, you'll get them later.
I had the same fear initially, lol.

apd_ng

Not 3rd, but in FC @ the start where mini-Josh is in the bed, the bed textures(?) are messed up, also a few other glitches happen on the way to the first city

iirc, SC also has the same bug where Estelle is on the bed at the start of a new game

Ascheroth

Not 3rd, but in FC @ the start where mini-Josh is in the bed, the bed textures(?) are messed up, also a few other glitches happen on the way to the first city

iirc, SC also has the same bug where Estelle is on the bed at the start of a new game
Yeah, those are known DX9 bugs I think, which are in the process of being fixed. I think.

Top Bottom