• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trans actress Josie Totah cast in lead role of ‘Saved by the Bell’ reboot

Azurro

Banned
tbf it’s plausible if it’s set in a Canadian high school

It can be pretty bad in Canada, but it's not so bad as that.

Back on topic, this is such a gimmick because the only reason anyone has to look at this is because it screams: "HEY GUYS!! WE SO WOKE!! GOT A TRANS MAIN CHARACTER!! AREN'T WE GREAT PEOPLE?!". This person has no leading actor type, it's even worse than the "bully" in the new Spiderman movies.

manfestival

They keep rebooting things and changing them so much. Then they get all butthurt when people react adversely to their changes. Why not just make a great product that isnt going to change established things? Seeing this reminds me of all of the recent reboots that keep... hurting. One that still hurts me to think about is Thundercats... WHYYYYYY
pkq73z8r0u211.jpg

Last edited:

Fbh

Feel like 99% of the time i see a trans actor it is always MtF. Is this just a case of men dominating traditional male spaces, but doing so through the guide of modern biology-denying feminism?

Just fucking sucks that Lisa Turtle gonna get left behind

This would instantly get me banned from other sites but I really think it's because it's easier to score diversity points with a MtF trans actor.
You get double the score for having a main character that's both female AND trans.

Also, MtF are, generally speaking, easier to spot so that also helps with making the cast instantly look more diverse.

Last edited:

jadedm17

Has anyone seen Zach Morris is Trash? Yea, a woke Saved By The Bell is the exact opposite of how ridiculous and over the top the original was.

cryptoadam

Banned
Ya gotta wonder if she is the main character. Zack Morris was a total asshole, that won't play well making the Trans character a scheming ass who doesn't give 2 shits about his friends and would sell them out for a chance at poon.

I already bet we will see an episode that has one of the other cheerleaders being upset that she changes in the same room/is on the girls team. And then we will learn about TERFs.

We can also expect an episode where a guy really likes her but then finds out she is trans but overcomes his prejudice to go on a date with her (and then he probably killed himself).

She actually looks more like the Screech character than a Zack+Kelly merge

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
They keep rebooting things and changing them so much. Then they get all butthurt when people react adversely to their changes. Why not just make a great product that isnt going to change established things? Seeing this reminds me of all of the recent reboots that keep... hurting. One that still hurts me to think about is Thundercats... WHYYYYYY
pkq73z8r0u211.jpg
Cartoons look simpler to save on production costs and cross their fingers the kids love it.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
This is even worse. So Zack Morris is the governor and he shut down all the low income schools so now those kids have to go to other schools. This is going to be woke central. I figure Zack will play a parody of Trump in this.

Go from the geeky gay side kick to the most popular person in school and head cheerleader. All you need to do is become trans and it can all be yours.

-Arcadia-

Banned
This is even worse. So Zack Morris is the governor and he shut down all the low income schools so now those kids have to go to other schools. This is going to be woke central. I figure Zack will play a parody of Trump in this.

Go from the geeky gay side kick to the most popular person in school and head cheerleader. All you need to do is become trans and it can all be yours.

Wow, it’s true. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Wait did he/she/whatever say “female”?

Resetera: that’s a cancellin’

images

I reckon they’d need a chart to see what beats what.

“You said female- that’s a level 3 offence punishable by cancelling- oh I’m so sorry it says here you are trans- they puts you at level 5 which means you are ok. If you had called a PoC female and also had jontron on your avatar though it would have bumped your offence up so please be careful”

Papa

Banned
I reckon they’d need a chart to see what beats what.

“You said female- that’s a level 3 offence punishable by cancelling- oh I’m so sorry it says here you are trans- they puts you at level 5 which means you are ok. If you had called a PoC female and also had jontron on your avatar though it would have bumped your offence up so please be careful”

That's the spirit!

belmarduk

Don't get me wrong, I think its a mistake to reboot Saved by the Bell and would like to see some new shows with new ideas.. but hasn't Saved by the Bell always tackled social issues? I haven't seen it in a very long time but I don't see it as that much different from the 90s show.

belmarduk

Receipts pls

This one.

I know we don't generally care about upsetting other people on this forum.. but that post was pretty upsetting to me.
My sexual orientation is a part of who I am as a person. I'm also in a long term relationship with a same sex partner. It really made me feel like shit that somebody could compare that to cancer and it not be moderated in any way.. but I suppose that's not the philosophy of the moderation on this site. Its better than ResetEra for sure even if reading people think you are the equivalent to a terminal disease sometimes.

Papa

Banned
This one.

I know we don't generally care about upsetting other people on this forum.. but that post was pretty upsetting to me.
My sexual orientation is a part of who I am as a person. I'm also in a long term relationship with a same sex partner. It really made me feel like shit that somebody could compare that to cancer and it not be moderated in any way.. but I suppose that's not the philosophy of the moderation on this site. Its better than ResetEra for sure even if reading people think you are the equivalent to a terminal disease sometimes.

Um, what. You've completely misrepresented what he said. I've quoted his post below so that everyone can see exactly what was said and also so that he gets tagged in here. He did not say that homosexuality was equivalent to cancer. He rattled off a list of attributes that someone may selfishly want "represented" (fuck I hate this term) in popular media but which no one gives a shit about. Cancer was one of these, but so too were autism and divorce. You're stretching his words to fit your desire for victimhood.

Of course it's propaganda : why would homosexuality even exist in the Star Wars universe? I wear glasses, and I don't recall anyone in Star Wars needing glasses. So apparently near-sightedness doesn't exist in that universe. Same with a lot of real-world realities. No cancer, no Alzheimer's disease, no epilepsy, no leukemia, no autism, no divorce (I think?), etc. No need for homosexuality to exist, and no need to linger on two women kissing -- come to think of it, showing two people kissing was actually rare in the old movies, I think, aside of course from the big kisses between the romantic leads.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
This one.

There’s a lot of nuanced thinking going on in that exchange on both sides, which is what healthy discussion is made of. It’s not ban worthy. You’re probably too spoiled by leftists viewing you as a sacred entity who can’t be challenged in any way, or you would see that post the same way moderation here sees it.

belmarduk

There’s a lot of nuanced thinking going on in that exchange on both sides, which is what healthy discussion is made of. It’s not ban worthy. You’re probably too spoiled by leftists viewing you as a sacred entity who can’t be challenged in any way, or you would see that post the same way moderation here sees it.

I never reported that post. Its just one that stuck out to me. Moderation has clearly stated that they do not wish to tilt political discussions one way or the other and I like the policy far more than that of other forums. Saying something is rotten and hateful is not the same thing as trying to silence a discussion.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I never reported that post. Its just one that stuck out to me. Moderation has clearly stated that they do not wish to tilt political discussions one way or the other and I like the policy far more than that of other forums. Saying something is rotten and hateful is not the same thing as trying to silence a discussion.
I don’t think gays should be treated with any less scrutiny or criticism than others because they’re gay. Does that make me rotten and hateful? Cuz that’s what you just said about that poster.

belmarduk

I don’t think gays should be treated with any less scrutiny or criticism than others because they’re gay. Does that make me rotten and hateful? Cuz that’s what you just said about that poster.

I agree but sexuality and romantic attractions are part of life not some sort of lethal disease.

belmarduk

Um, what. You've completely misrepresented what he said. I've quoted his post below so that everyone can see exactly what was said and also so that he gets tagged in here. He did not say that homosexuality was equivalent to cancer. He rattled off a list of attributes that someone may selfishly want "represented" (fuck I hate this term) in popular media but which no one gives a shit about. Cancer was one of these, but so too were autism and divorce. You're stretching his words to fit your desire for victimhood.

Two if my friends were murdered in the 2016 during the Pulse massacre. This happened in my city. Those people are victims of homophobic violence. I want that sort of thing to never happen again. I imagine you would feel the same if this had happened in your community. Its not a victim complex when there actually has been quite a bit of violence directed toward us.
I sincerely hope that never happens to you or anyone you care about.
but if it did, it may change your mind.

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
I agree but sexuality and romantic attractions are part of life not some sort of lethal disease.

You're misrepresenting his argument though. He didn't say homosexuality was a lethal disease or even imply it. He was listing off attributes that someone may want represented in popular media for whatever reason. He even mentioned glasses-wearers but you cherry-picked other attributes to build your case.

Look man, I've got no problem with you but I do think you need to thicken your skin a little. If you want to be treated equally it also means giving up claims to identity-based victimhood.

Two if my friends were murdered in the 2016 during the Pulse massacre. This happened in my city. Those people are victims of homophobic violence. I want that sort of thing to never happen again. I imagine you would feel the same if this had happened in your community. Its not a victim complex when there actually has been quite a bit of violence directed toward us.

Those people were victims of Islamic violence. You are not one of them -- you are an individual. Moreover, do country music fans get to complain about criticism of country music because of the Las Vegas shooting?

Despera

Banned
Wow.
This is dumb.
Did people even want a Saved by the Bell remake?
We already had The College Years.
It's clear isn't it.

SJWs and PC culture replacing all straight works with newer, gayer/more female centric ones.

Who asked for any of these remakes? How successful are they so far? There is 0 financial or creative incentive for any of these projects. The agenda is clear.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

Actually it kinda is. Arguing against it isn’t, but saying that is as it implies you feel it is something that shouldn’t be said, a passive aggressive it should be banned but I won’t report it because nobody else will agree with me thing.

Teletraan1

Banned
I am not offended by the Trans part of the story at all only that they are trying to pass this goblin off as head cheerleader. I am sorry but when you look like white Urkel you're chances of reaching that social status in high school is exactly zero. Sorry uggos that applies to every gender.

Beyond that it matters how they write the character. Too many "marginalized " characters are one note. For all of the shit that Supergirl rightfully gets I actually like how Nia Nal is portrayed. They have only offhand mentioned that she is Transgender 3x in the 30 episodes she is in. It is part of her story but not the entire focus.
When writing these characters they too often just tie everything to their race/gender/sexuality which is fine for the people they represent but is not relatable for anyone else. If the goal is to normalize these people you are doing a disservice to that goal by basing their entire character around one thing. Only crazy people base their entire identity around one characteristic. That isn't normal.

mcjmetroid

I give it two episodes before they put the character in a political charged episode about her identity and gender.
100% this.

In fairness though saved by the Bell SHOULD be dealing with hot button issues like it kinda used to.

This just seems too far too soon and didn't need to be a main cast member of they're doing it.

Saved by the Bell never even had a person coming to terms with being gay episode like. You couldn't do it back in the 90s for a kids show.

Anyway this is very much an early 90s 80s show brought into the modern area. Besides Battlestar Galactica has this ever worked?

mcjmetroid

To be treated like everyone else is what I want for LGBT people. No more, no less.

Also, the Islamic world is extremely homophobic. Moreso than any region on the planet They shouldn't get a pass for that.
I agree with you about Islamic. I also agree with Matt above.

You cannot get upset about anti gay posts in general or anything hinting at it. I'm gonna take it you're a bit younger than I am but I've been putting up with that shit for years. In real life or otherwise.

Also it's easier to put those people on ignore as well if they're beyond saving. I had to do it a few times.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Women who want to be actors should start lying and claim they transitioned from being men. Since they are real women they will pass and if you question it your a bigot.
At least until they get pregnant (in real life).

Everytime a trans actor is cast in a show and isnt specifically (and often) mentioned to be trans i'm never quite sure if they are supposed to be a trans character or the sex of the character. Blythe in YOU is probably the main example in my mind. Dont think that character was trans, just a gruff voiced big woman. Be interesting if a trans actor plays a pregnant character, that would rattle some viewers :p

belmarduk

Actually it kinda is. Arguing against it isn’t, but saying that is as it implies you feel it is something that shouldn’t be said, a passive aggressive it should be banned but I won’t report it because nobody else will agree with me thing.

If I thought it should be banned, I would have brought it up to moderators.
If I wanted to only discuss these issues with people who agreed with me, I'd be posting on ResetEra.

Top Bottom