• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transfer your umd purchases to your Vita (with a fee).

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/compatibility/umd/

img_4.jpg

Kagari said:
1. Download a UMD Registration Application from PlayStation Store to your PSP

2. Boot up the UMD Registration Application from your PSP's XMB menu and insert the UMD game you want to register into the system.

3. Follow the prompts to register your UMD disc with your PSN account

4. You can then download the downloadable version of your game at discount price.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure your games that aren't on psn won't transfa...transfer* over. But hey we all got 10 psps around, so no biggie!

Initial titles that will transfer and the fee.

http://www.jp.playstation.com/psvita/compatibility/umd/title/

Average price is about $10 USD.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Hmm... not a terrible plan.

I'd say "isn't everyone going to find a copy of the UMD when they buy a game".. but that sounds like a hassle that most wouldn't bother with.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
opticalmace said:
Translation..?

2. Boot up the UMD Registration Application from your PSP's XMB menu and insert the UMD game you want to register into the system.

4. You can then download the downloadable version of your game at discount price.

confused

Banned
Kagari said:

Are the prices in the table current prices or the download fee ?

1. Install the UMD registration application from the PlayStation Store on your PSP.
2. Run the UMD registration application from your PSP home screen.
3. Follow the on-screen instructions to register the UMD to your PSN account.
4. Downloadable versions of registered titles can be purchased from the PlayStation Store and played on the Vita.

BocoDragon

confused said:
One time fee or a fee for every game ?

Great way to make people pay again for games they already own, Sony !
Not having a program like this would be making them pay again for games they already own :p

At least it's something!

And the prices are reasonable... $5, $10 and $15 is what the yen roughly converts to.

Kagari said:

Thanks.

So ~$10 to transfer a game only? ~_~

Mik2121

So I could actually go and rent all the games off that list that I'm interested in, pay the fee and get them forever without having to pay the full price?

confused

Banned
Kagari said:
Download fee.

Wow, so up to 15 bucks to download a game you already own ? Which'll probably drop even lower just to purchase just after the Vita drops. Great plan Sony

It'd cost me more to pay the download fee than to buy the UMD.

- J - D -

Sony stepped up and gave us a solution for something we've been asking about for while. Good on them.

Not sure if that's enough to make me want to buy a Vita though.

Zomba13

At first I was :D
Then with fee I was :) (I initially thought a one time fee or something)
Then with fee for each game I was :(

Fuck that. I'll just keep playing my PSP games on my PSP.

Mik2121 said:
So I could actually go and rent all the games off that list that I'm interested in, pay the fee and get them forever without having to pay the full price?

Don't believe japan has a big rental scene, but you want to 'abuse' the system that way, it's probably easier to just internetz it.

But now I think about it, japan prices of games fluctuate like crazy! Any games on the list that are 'worth' less than the fee?

Takao

Banned
confused said:
Wow, so up to 12 bucks to download a game you already own ? Which'll probably drop even lower just to purchase just after the Vita drops. Great plan Sony

You miss 大都技研公式パチスロシミュレーター 秘宝伝 〜封じられた女神〜 PORTABLE for 2400 yen? lol

confused

Banned
Takao said:
You miss 大都技研公式パチスロシミュレーター 秘宝伝 〜封じられた女神〜 PORTABLE for 2400 yen? lol

Holy fuck. Yeah, sory Sony, but you is stupid.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
confused said:
Wow, so up to 15 bucks to download a game you already own ? Which'll probably drop even lower just to purchase just after the Vita drops. Great plan Sony

It'd cost me more to pay the download fee than to buy the UMD.

Just sell the UMD afterwards, and you'll make up for the transfer fee.

BocoDragon

Zomba13 said:
At first I was :D
Then with fee I was :) (I initially thought a one time fee or something)
Then with fee for each game I was :(

Fuck that. I'll just keep playing my PSP games on my PSP.
Which is what you would have been doing anyway.

At least now, if you wanted a PSN version, they at least offer you a discount.

And if there was no fee..... people would just trade UMDs around and do a whole bunch of legal piracy. Not happening.

Takao

Banned
confused said:
Holy fuck. Yeah, sory Sony, but you is stupid.

This post is really stupid. I really doubt Sony set the pricing given their games cost $5-$10 to transfer, and a freaking pachinko game costs $25 (more like $30+).

confused

Banned
spindoc said:
Just sell the UMD afterwards, and you'll make up for the transfer fee.

UMD's are worthless, you'd get like a buck back for the effort.

Takao said:
I really doubt Sony set the pricing given their games cost $5-$10 to transfer.

Yet Sony devised this idiot scheme to milk it's consumers some more. They are litterally charging for BC.

Mik2121

chickdigger802 said:
Don't believe japan has a big rental scene, but you want to 'abuse' the system that way, it's probably easier to just internetz it.
I have a store that rents games some 15 minutes from my house.

Plus, I'm just asking, I'm not going to actually do it (not very interested on most PSP titles, though I'll try and grab a Vita as soon as I can).

confused said:
UMD's are worthless, you'd get like a buck back for the effort.

Yet Sony devised this idiot scheme to milk it's consumers some more. They are litterally charging for BC.

The varied prices makes it seem like the developers decided the price.

Takao

Banned
confused said:

No they aren't. If you bought these games on PSN, you do not have to pay again. They are charging you for use of transfering a game that shouldn't be playable on this new device.

Cels

I didn't realize that people bought UMDs in 2005 with the expectation that they would be able to play them on a system that they would not get their hands on until 2012.

That said, these fees are really high.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
Whipped this up. My first thought.

FDYhq.jpg

confused

Banned
Takao said:
No they aren't. If you bought these games on PSN, you do not have to pay again.

So they are punishing people for buying at retail, that makes it a lot better.

Skel1ingt0n said:
Whipped this up. My first thought.

FDYhq.jpg

PSP-GO users are the only ones guaranteed not to have a problem wth this.

Valnen

I'm not really going to complain about this, because I'm surprised they're going to be offering this for *any* UMD game (I'm assuming...).

It sucks that they're going to charge for it, but that's probably necessary. Otherwise people would just pass around the same UMD and transfer it.

confused

Banned
Valnen said:
I'm not really going to complain about this, because I'm surprised they're going to be offering this for *any* UMD game.

It sucks that they're going to charge for it, but that's probably necessary. Otherwise people would just pass around the same UMD and transfer it.

They could bypas that by letting every UMD register only once.

LiK

Valnen said:
I'm not really going to complain about this, because I'm surprised they're going to be offering this for *any* UMD game.

good call

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
confused said:

The viable alternatives were to put a umd drive in Vita (lol), or just do nothing and let you pay full whack for the PSN version of any games you might want on your Vita.

They couldn't really unlock the license for free - the abuse would be massive.

So this is probably the best they could do.

fake edit - I guess they COULD have done a mail-in program but the admin costs of that would probably require a per title 'fee' anyway and you wouldn't get to keep your umd.

confused said:
They could bypas that by letting every UMD register only once.

Don't think there's any way to check that (?) I doubt they've put a UUID on each disk...

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
Do you reckon they'd drop the PSP game prices as well, to have some sort of parity with this transfer system? Say, 20-30$ to buy it off PSN, versus the 10$ to make a transfer? I can see more people biting that way.

Top Bottom