• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers More than meets the eye is one of the best comics you haven't read

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savitar

He's far more manipulative than most characters in the series, and unlike Starscream is very competent at it.
Plus, dude got a kick out of fucking with Chromedome when
Rewind died?

Dude's a mighty dick.

Considering what Chrome did to him there was a reason for his snide comment.

Tizoc

He's far more manipulative than most characters in the series, and unlike Starscream is very competent at it.
Plus, dude got a kick out of fucking with Chromedome when
Rewind died?

Dude's a mighty dick.

Actually Prowl did not know about that at the time, and only learned so after the fact.

emag

Up to Dark Cyberton in both MTMTE and RID.

I think RID starts out stronger than MTMTE, but fluctuates in quality whereas MTMTE has a lot more interesting moments later on. Having binged on a combined 10 volumes in two days does make it harder to keep all the minor characters straight, though.

Overall, though, I've read comics in the last few days that were more interesting than anything TF-related (e.g., Southern Bastards).

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Personally I find the character arc payoffs in MTMTE are amazing and place it above RID for me. The way it comes together by the end of the current "season" is so emotional I had to keep reminding myself I was reading a Transformers comic.

Though I think a lot of the skullduggery and plotting in RID are excellent.

NEO0MJ

Actually Prowl did not know about that at the time, and only learned so after the fact.

Don't ruin my narrative!

I think RID starts out stronger than MTMTE, but fluctuates in quality whereas MTMTE has a lot more interesting moments later on. Having binged on a combined 10 volumes in two days does make it harder to keep all the minor characters straight, though.

Overall, though, I've read comics in the last few days that were more interesting than anything TF-related (e.g., Southern Bastards).

Something tat annoys me with RID is that it feels o much like a toy commercial at times.

Tizoc

Edited the first post a bit mainly to add some stuff to the reading order.

Not sure what you mean by that last sentence, but Southern Bastards is a great comic, I need to catch up as I think I skipped a few issues :V

The Transformers books have been consistently excellent ever since IDW launched More Than Meets The Eyes and Robots in Disguise back in 2012. (Not to say there weren't some great comics before then, either)

All three ongoings are wonderful, but MTME has a special place in my heart. The long form character development has been such a treat. I love how Roberts has taken a cast of largely nobodies and turned them into some of my all time favorites.

WarRock

I've been slowly working my way through IDW Transformers since the last year and still haven't reached the MTMTE book =/

On the other hand, I really like everything I've read so far. Even All Hail Megatron, that seems to be really criticized, is so fun (and amazingly drawn!). The follow up book with Megatron giving himself up to the Autobots really caught me off guard!

Oh, and bears mentioning that my only experience with the franchise prior to this was watching Beast Wars and Beast Machines years ago =)

Thundercracker, Soundwave and Shockwave are the best Transformers, fight me.

So I started reading from the beginning and holy shit. That Sun streaker plot from all hail Megatron... Jesus.
Shit is heavy man.

Parch

I flipped through a couple of issues and was impressed by the artwork. Never been into Transformers and probably never will be, but I can believe the claims that the comic is pretty good.

IDW really is underrated. Their licensed titles rarely disappoint.

Tizoc

I've been slowly working my way through IDW Transformers since the last year and still haven't reached the MTMTE book =/

On the other hand, I really like everything I've read so far. Even All Hail Megatron, that seems to be really criticized, is so fun (and amazingly drawn!). The follow up book with Megatron giving himself up to the Autobots really caught me off guard!

Oh, and bears mentioning that my only experience with the franchise prior to this was watching Beast Wars and Beast Machines years ago =)

Shit is heavy man.
Looking at your avatar, if you enjoyed the character centric focus of BPRD, you'll like MTMTE since it is also character centric.

Finished the series this week. Incredible run. The ending was just the most badass thing I've read in quite some time. I need to grab the final two issues but I've heard Titans Returns is more transition than new arc so I'll just finish it off before The Lost Light in December.

Shit is heavy man.

I liked All hail Megatron, not sure why some people shit on it. It looks FANTASTIC as well.

If anything the comics seem a bit obtuse from time to time with how everything fits together and I could see why they had to do that issue explaining where things were after All Hail Megatron. It almost feels like that was a reboot in a way. Which brings me to my bigger issue with the comics and that is sometimes its just not clear what the fuck people are doing in relation to who they're supposed to be. I'm hoping that the split of the teams in RID and MTMTE to focusing on smaller groups will be really beneficial. I just got to the last stand of the wreckers and it's miles ahead of what has come before it because it's focusing on a smaller group of people so things are a lot more well defined.

Sunstreaker spoilers:
Him making that deal was crazy. That he hated humans after what they did to him was something I WASN'T expecting but it made a lot of sense. And with how long they'd been fighting the decepticons, him just wanting an end to it all, making that judgement at a moment of justifiable weakness... that shit I thought was really well executed. Especially after when you see he didn't die, instead he's part of the swarm now and will be reliving all of this... that shit was fucking crazy. Didn't like how Hunter got kind of written off though.

Mindwipe

I liked All hail Megatron, not sure why some people shit on it.

Because it's terrible.

If anything the comics seem a bit obtuse from time to time with how everything fits together and I could see why they had to do that issue explaining where things were after All Hail Megatron. It almost feels like that was a reboot in a way.

The first half was written as one, by all accounts.

Weiss

Banned
So if I were to try and get into IDW's Transformers comics, can I start with, and only stick to, MTMTE? Or do I need to read the other series too?

So if I were to try and get into IDW's Transformers comics, can I start with, and only stick to, MTMTE? Or do I need to read the other series too?

It crosses over with Robots in Disguise (the companion series that launched at the same time, later renamed to just Transformers). I mean, I think it's worth reading both of those, if nothing else. They're both pretty great.

You can start fresh without reading the earlier titles if you want, because MTME/RID represented the start of a new story direction.

If you really wanted to only read MTME, you could do that and just read the relevant crossover issues when they come up.

Weiss

Banned
It crosses over with Robots in Disguise (the companion series that launched at the same time, later renamed to just Transformers). I mean, I think it's worth reading both of those, if nothing else. They're both pretty great.

You can start fresh without reading the earlier titles if you want, because MTME/RID represented the start of a new story direction.

If you really wanted to only read MTME, you could do that and just read the relevant crossover issues when they come up.

I don't have a lot of money right now, so if it's not worth reading MTME without RiD, then I won't bother.

I don't have a lot of money right now, so if it's not worth reading MTME without RiD, then I won't bother.

You may want to try finding someone who bought extra copies of the Humble Bundle. Alternatively, I guess you could wait for the next one, it shouldn't take more than a year or two... :)

Tizoc

How about availing for 1 month of comixologmy unlimited that way u can read much of the idw tf series
Lst i checked they were a part of it

If you can only afford to read one, then MTME on its own is fine. The only real issue I think you'd run into is for the Dark Cybertron crossover, and that's a good ways into the series.

OP, you highlighted the reason I don't read comic books. That list is a mess. I'm sure the stories are great. Your synopsis sounds greats. I love Transformers. Then I looked at the series books, and everything looks like it's all over the place. From what you're describing, it sounds like I'm jumping in the middle of a story even following the order that which you provided.

I like Transformers, but I don't know. I might check it out if I have the time, but I don't like having dozens of different titles just to continue what sounds like an on-going plot line. I do love the Trannformers.

OP, you highlighted the reason I don't read comic books. That list is a mess. I'm sure the stories are great. Your synopsis sounds greats. I love Transformers. Then I looked at the series books, and everything looks like it's all over the place. From what you're describing, it sounds like I'm jumping in the middle of a story even following the order that which you provided.

I like Transformers, but I don't know. I might check it out if I have the time, but I don't like having dozens of different titles just to continue what sounds like an on-going plot line. I do love the Trannformers.
Firstly, comics are a medium, not a genre. Don't write all comics off because you don't like a few.

Secondly, it's not really an issue, though. Like, it's nice to have all that backstory. They go and reference it, but it isn't necessary. Last Stand of the Wreckers, for instance; I had zero experience with the series prior to it and I understood and experienced it fully on its own.

People get too bogged down with this notion of needing to experience and know every piece of continuity in order to enjoy a single story. You don't. It's good to want that, because that means you have a greater investment in that fictional universe. As a result, a lot of stories and arcs can have bigger payoffs. That said, it can also be a severe limiter that hampers your ability to experience these stories for what they are. You're only really limiting yourself from enjoying the stories and not the other way around.

MTMTE can be perfectly enjoyed as a standalone comic, it's really self-contained. LSOTW isn't even connected to it, it's just a really good comic from the same author that you would not want to miss. I don't normally advice my friends to read anything else, especially if they're not comic fans.

This thread is meant to pique your interest and give you information about which order to read them in if you want to dive in deeper, especially because those others were included in the Humble Bundle and many people might want to know. This is NeoGAF, we tend to give people the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the effort they're willing to make to inform themselves and make their own choices.

Perhaps it should be stressed in the OP that both LSOTW and MTMTE are perfectly readable as standalone titles, even separate from each other?

Check the Reading Order section and let me know what you think :X

It's the exact same reading order I would recommend, but a "you can really read only MTMTE if you want" disclaimer, in bold, might help in avoiding scaring off zero-effort readers. :D

WarRock

Bumping this thread because I've read MTMTE up to issue 7 and I love each and every character. The dialogues and conflicts are so good and varied!

Read it people!

Sou Da

Okay I just caught up to the Holo earth issue. Rodmius' avatar is somehow more out of place than anyone elses.

EDIT: NOPE. Megatron's is even funnier.

Woah i dropped saga after the book felt like it relied on shock value in just about each issue but i would still recommend it.
Mtmte uses some nice sci fi elements and ideas tho

As a Spaniard it's hard for comics to shock me, especially with nudity and sex, so I simply took that in stride and there is a great story with really good characters underneath. Come to think of it, it did feel forced at the start, but it either stopped entirely soon after or was much more naturally integrated, because I don't remember any of it past the first issue or two. It might have been the comic's way of saying "this is for adults, don't buy this for a kid".

Wish my local comic store had this cheaper.

Buy it digitally, either from Comixology, or from the Humble Store next time there is a bundle (there's been two in as many years).

J_Viper

This is a pretty bad bump, but I figure it's a relevant time with the latest film out now.

This thread sold me on checking out the comics and I'm so glad I did.

Most of the series is on sale at ComiXology, so now is a great time to check it out.

Tizoc

This is a pretty bad bump, but I figure it's a relevant time with the latest film out now.

This thread sold me on checking out the comics and I'm so glad I did.

Most of the series is on sale at ComiXology, so now is a great time to check it out.
thanks for the bump
Let me know if i need to tidy anything up in the first post :x

phinious

I just bought a bunch of these on humble bundle. Is there a suggested reading order for the humble bundle deal? Id use the OP's but the flies are not named the same and these files are HUGE

Peff

I just bought a bunch of these on humble bundle. Is there a suggested reading order for the humble bundle deal? Id use the OP's but the flies are not named the same and these files are HUGE

Yeah, the humble bundle page looks confusing. From some quick research, The Last Stand of the Wreckers is included in the IDW Collection volume 6, Chaos Theory in volume 8 and the actual MTMTE series is in the four Phase Two volumes, mixed in with Robots in Disguise, which isn't quite as good.

The only issue is that all of this is either in the 20 or in the 25$ tiers, so you may not even have them, but it's not the first IDW bundle they've done and it likely won't be the last.

phinious

Yeah, the humble bundle page looks confusing. From some quick research, The Last Stand of the Wreckers is included in the IDW Collection volume 6, Chaos Theory in volume 8 and the actual MTMTE series is in the four Phase Two volumes, mixed in with Robots in Disguise, which isn't quite as good.

The only issue is that all of this is either in the 20 or in the 25$ tiers, so you may not even have them, but it's not the first IDW bundle they've done and it likely won't be the last.

Ok I got all the tiers because I have been itching to read these! Thank you for the help. I get very confused when trying to find specific comic reading order. So this helps!

cirrhosis

I stopped reading this right before the DJD were set to return and Tarn was going to kill someone. Keep meaning to get back to it.

MrDaravon

Appreciate the bump on this, saw this the other day and am about to grab the $25 tier. Looking back at my crazy OCD reading order posts earlier in this thread on the phase one/Pre-RiD/MtMtE stuff is kind of hilarious now since the $25 tier includes all of the IDW phase one collections which is an extremely straight-forward way to get like 99% of all of that stuff in what seems to be a totally finealmost chronological order according to the wiki, or close enough where I'm sure it doesn't matter lol. Highly looking forward to getting through all of this :D

Based on the wiki in terms of chronological order (here) the IDW Collection Phase One volumes 1-8 and Phase Two volumes 1-4 included through the $25 tier here will straight up go through 1 to around #215ish on the reading order. Gets a bit trickier after that though; with what was included in the last bundle that this thread was based on (which this current bundle has a bit of but is mostly missing later on MtMtE/RiD stuff the first bundle had) that will take me through about 289 on the reading order while MISSING the following:

Dark Cyberton 1-12
Sins of the Wreckers
Punishment
Drift Empire of Stone
Combiner Hunters

I'll cross that bridge when I get there in terms of if I want to fill in those gaps now, or wait another year for a bundle or what lol. The Dark Cyberton stuff seems like it might be the only significant thing in the above and is a pretty huge gap and was oddly missing in both humble bundles (but it is in a more recent Collection that just isn't part of this bundle)l This current bundle also has a couple of things past the above weirdly which makes things more confusing (Till All Are One 1-9 & Salvation) but better more stuff than less stuff. I'll probably have to figure out what I want to do in terms of buying stuff (if anything right now) after I get through the 12 collections in this bundle as the Dark Cybertron stuff is a huge hole after that and before all of the other stuff I have that seems actually important.

As an aside is any of the G.I. stuff also included in this sale any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom