• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor tops 1 million copies sold

DJ_Lae

Great to hear.

I really need to go back to it at some point - I played an hour or two of Transistor and it never clicked with me, I never really got the gameplay. I remember feeling really awful, too, as I bought more than one version of Bastion, some stuff from their online store, and think pretty highly of Kasavin and his team.

Grief.exe

Great to hear.

I really need to go back to it at some point - I played an hour or two of Transistor and it never clicked with me, I never really got the gameplay. I remember feeling really awful, too, as I bought more than one version of Bastion, some stuff from their online store, and think pretty highly of Kasavin and his team.

Unfortunately, they way they have the skills trickle in the game doesn't really get going until the end of the game.
I can see why they had to set up the skill selection in such a way, they had to account for learning curve of all skill types.

It's a great game, I am glad to hear it has done well. As a result of playing it I bought Bastion and will buy whatever they release next.

Rathorial

Good to hear, and I hope Transistor eclipses Bastion someday, because it improves in very key areas, especially when it comes to more unique combat. Some incredible ability progression with how you could slot stuff in as main, augmenting secondary, and passives. Also that art style and soundtrack is fantastic.

Anno

Really happy for them. I thought Bastion was great and Transistor even better. Can't wait to see what they do next. The only thing I really want is for them to keep the scope and scale of their games about the same and maybe find a way to use the Transistor battle/skill system again.

lawnchair

Banned
got the game via ps+. been rockin that transistor ps4 theme for what seems like forever now, my girlfriend is getting sick of it lolz

Ledhead

This game was excellent in so many ways. Great art style and graphics, awesome protag and interesting story, fun and complex battle system. I loved it. Very happy to hear this game sold well. The team deserves it

Endo Punk

I wouldn't be surprised if Transistor ends up in my best games of this gen list. It truly is a beautiful experience that allows you to play and experiment any way you want, and it's dripping with gorgeous atmosphere with its combination of art, sound and dialogue. Also love Red and yes the Transistor dynamic theme is the best!

SnowTeeth

Banned
A beautiful, remarkable game. I adore what Supergiant do with their gameworlds, and I'm day 1 with any of their future releases.

Lingitiz

I still need to finish this game. Good to see great sales for it though.

I hope with the next game they do something totally different and abandon the narration thing. I don't think it's bad but it could get stale with a third go-around, even if Bastion and Transistor did it pretty differently.

oceanskie

Banned
The game has some interesting gameplay concepts but the narrative is a mess. Focusing on the personal story of the protagonist instead of exploring the world in greater detail is a wasted opportunity.

Awesome to hear. I bought and played through it late this summer and loved it. I first played through battles like an action rpg before switching to srpg (which usually isn't really my thing). Fantastic story presentation and music.

Still haven't played Bastion, although I finally bought it this month. I kinda owe even knowing about Transistor to Bastion, so I'll have to give it a shot, soon.

Back in 2013 Bastion's soundtrack came up as a rec after I bought something on Amazon and I liked what I heard, so I bought the Bastion OST. About a year later, Transistor's OST came up as a rec on Amazon and I loved the sound of that even more, so I bought it as well.

Just the other day I put in an order on Supergiant's site for a bunch of Transistor goodies I've been wanting for a while and enjoying the download of the humming version of the soundtrack for now.

Both games are great and I will support anything they put out in the near future. Their games appeal so much to me.

Congrats Supergiant!

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I love Supergiant and am glad they're succesful. I really, really wish I liked Transistor more than I did but it didn't click with me and I didn't even finish it. Maybe some day. Loved Bastion though.

I got bored of this game 3/4s in or slightly earlier but it was pretty and kinda fun. It had so many things I should love but I just...didn't. Love the aesthetic, love the music, love RPGs. The game just bored me though.

Never really got into either Bastion or Transistor. Neither kept me engaged for more than an hour but good on them for finding a fan base!

ArjanN

For those that didn't like the combat, were you aware that you could completely switch up the gameplay?

I played through the first time as an SRPG, then the second time as an ARPG with maximum difficulty. I found the latter to be more fun.

I didn't really get a good feel for the combat until the new game+ run/going for achievements, but yeah the combat system is way more dynamic and creative than Bastion.

I was a big fan of Greg Kasavin when he was editor-in-chief of Gamespot and supported him when he ventured into game development of course with buying his games, but I could never play Transistor. I love the world, but I am soooooooooooooooooooooo bad at the combat. I die so freakin' often. Still, awesome work Kasavin and Supergiant Games! And congrats on your success!

I was a big fan of Greg Kasavin when he was editor-in-chief of Gamespot and supported him when he ventured into game development of course with buying his games, but I could never play Transistor. I love the world, but I am soooooooooooooooooooooo bad at the combat. I die so freakin' often. Still, awesome work Kasavin and Supergiant Games! And congrats on your success!
Just experiment with the weapons, certain combinations basically owns the AI, even in later levels.

Nabs

So happy for Supergiant. I hope they are knee deep in another project.

I recently replayed Bastion for the 4th or so time, maybe it's time for another Transistor play.

I loved Transistor! A little too easy, in my opinion, but worth completing at least once. It was one of the first games I played on my PS4 (second to Infamous), so of course I remember it fondly!

After getting the plat for Transistor, I waited for the PS4 release of Bastion and got it on release day. It was kind of a slow burn, and I honestly didn't enjoy it that much until I got into my second playthrough, but once it kicks in, man! Another wonderful game.

I can't wait to see what's next!

Trouble

Banned
Well deserved for Supergiant.

I pre-ordered Transistor, but I feel guilty because I got distracted by other games and never finished it.

MMaRsu

Banned
Congratulation guys and girls!! Ive bought both games but sadly Ive yet to finish them. But I really liked what I played so far :).

Also Greg Kasavin is a cool dude

ZoddGutts

I got bored of this game 3/4s in or slightly earlier but it was pretty and kinda fun. It had so many things I should love but I just...didn't. Love the aesthetic, love the music, love RPGs. The game just bored me though.

Guess that's an improvement over Bastion which I got bored barely halfway through. It was like playing a dragged out Y''s game with much lesser good combat.

It was my GOTY last year (even though it might have come out in 2013?).
It's one of those games that nails everything in my eyes (and especially ears). Everything.

One of my new life goals is to work on a game that cool XD

PS: The artists are so badass. Just paint a picture of the entire game, and GG.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Like the aesthetics but gameplay didn't really resonate with me. I've tried a few times to start playing it again...is the story alone good enough to warrant going through?

Like the aesthetics but gameplay didn't really resonate with me. I've tried a few times to start playing it again...is the story alone good enough to warrant going through?
The story overall is kinda a mixed bag but I really enjoyed the ending and it's a relatively short game. Additionally the combat opens up a lot more the longer you progress. Overall if you're actively not enjoying playing it I wouldn't but yeah

Soul_Pie

Transistor was great, the combat system was fantastic, the art and music was often stunning but it would be great if they employed a few people for their level design/encounters and a few artists who are good at designing enemies/bosses just to really round out these games. It would be definitely worth it to see this team expand and reach the next level.

Top Bottom