• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transistor tops 1 million copies sold

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Bastion is over 3 million as they announced around a year back. Transistor so far has not been in any bundles though whereas Bastion has been in four.

https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/happy-holidays-from-supergiant_4/

With Transistor having sold more than a million copies now, and Bastion having sold more than three million, we feel incredibly fortunate to be able to stick together as a team and with any luck keep making the kinds of games that resonate with you for a long time to come.

As for the platform split, it's a mystery on PSN, but 812,278 ± 20,202 for Steam.

Update:

Thanks for the support in here folks. Really means a lot that the game has been so well regarded and (as I wrote in the original post) it mostly just means we get to keep going. To answer a question that's come up in this thread a couple times, Transistor has sold over a million copies, meaning PS Plus downloads are not included in that number since the game was free on PS Plus for the one month. In terms of the number of people who've played (as opposed to purchased) the game, it's much greater, which is cool.

GavinUK86

transistor wasn't as good as bastion but it was still pretty great. can't wait to see what they come up with next.

I got Transistor through PS+ and I bought Bastion in a PSN sale.

I enjoyed both but I think Transistor is the better of the two.

Good for them either way and I look forward to their next work.

That's impressive.

I think I need to actually play this at some point. I bought it when it was like $5 on PSN months ago but only played it for like two hours and then it sorta fell out of my radar.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
tumblr_n94vdttwCH1qcm0i5o1_500.gif

Great news. Game was my first ps4 platinum trophy.

Its weird, I just could not get into this game. But I thought the style was amazing. I thought the story was intriguing. Music is great. Battle system is interesting. Yet, these all things just didn't come together to create a fun game for me.

Such a great game, deserves the success. Still hoping they'll do a physical version for PS4. Would love to have the game on my shelf. Definitely my favorite PS4 game of 2014

Kalor

I doubt this includes Plus downloads since it specifies that it was 1 million sold, not downloaded. I'm glad it did well as I want to see what they do next.

dugdug

Banned
Seems a *little* low to me considering it's on iOS, but, still great numbers for one of my favorite games of all time.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Bastion is over 3 million as they announced around a year back. Transistor so far has not been in any bundles though whereas Bastion has been in four.

https://www.supergiantgames.com/blog/happy-holidays-from-supergiant_4/

As for the platform split, it's a mystery on PSN, but 812,278 ± 20,202 for Steam.

One of those Bastion bundles wasn't a real bundle, but the other three were. In two of them, Bastion was a BTA. The total sales of those bundles were ~1.2 million, so let's assume that's conservatively 500k Bastion sold in bundles and liberally 900k. Then there's a bundle where Bastion was the old game that sold 75k. So we're going with somewhere between 575k and 975k of those Bastion sales being from bundles.

Transistor also sold for $19.99 to Bastion's $14.99 and Bastion has been on deeper discounts than Transistor; also Bastion was published by WB on some platforms while Transistor was not, correct? All things considered I would say that this puts Transistor a little behind Bastion but not significantly so and both quite successful.

Good for them, but I do hope that they improve with their next game. Transistor was a nice package with some good ideas, but I don't know if I ever played a 4h game that felt so repetitive as this one.

The enviroments were nice at first, but pretty much all locations looked the same, and the battles felt like the same ones repeated over and over again. Not really a fan of the idea of disabling abilities as a punishment for taking hits in battles either.

It was ok, but far from amazing.

NotMyPsn

Banned
I'ts a great game, loved the gameplay concept, great presentation and art style, but I'm not a fan of the way the story is presented.
Got the game with ps+. looks great but sometimes runs like shit.
Would love a sequel. Hopefully supergiant games stops using the deeply voiced narrator thou, it feels like it's the only thing they know how to do.

Hektor

Deserved. Love you Supergiantgames.

It'd be kind of shocking if only 180k people downloaded the game on PS+ even assuming zero regular PS4 sales volume.

Transistor is also available on iOS btw.

Kind of weird, figured with all the promotion on sonys conference that this would be one of the better selling indies on console.

pantsmith

Amazing game. Its one of those rare cases where I want a sequel or DLC just because I love the world and characters so much and want more time to spend with it. On the other hand I'm grateful for what I got, and wouldn't want to mess things up by shoehorning more in where its unnecessary.

kswiston

Supergiant Games managed to avoid the sophomore game curse that a lot of indies seem to fall into. I wonder if some of that was due to the fact that they went with something new that encorporated the stronger elements of Bastion (narrative, art design, mustic) rather than a straight up Bastion sequel.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
It'd be kind of shocking if only 180k people downloaded the game on PS+ even assuming zero regular PS4 sales volume.

About PS split, I think there was a news a few months ago, where there were actual splits for the game's sales...can't remember exactly when and how much, though.

Well deserved. A phenomenal game that I should probably play again at some point!

Definitely recommend it to anyone looking into it.

Awesome news. Congrats Super Giant Games. I had fun with the game (thanks to PS Plus). I am hoping it does another million sales.

Excellent! Both their games have been superb. Can't wait to hear about their next title.

Though i'd also enjoy a spiritual successor to either of their titles.

Meneses

I didn't really love Bastion (even though there's some cool stuff there) and I wasn't very interested in Transistor at first, but got it from PS+ and it instantly became one of my favorites, amazing game.

Supergiant Games managed to avoid the sophomore game curse that a lot of indies seem to fall into. I wonder if some of that was due to the fact that they went with something new that encorporated the stronger elements of Bastion (narrative, art design, mustic) rather than a straight up Bastion sequel.

Probably. I would guess that because a lot of people have large backlogs they hesitate to buy the sequel to a game they still haven't played and don't know if they'll enjoy. I played Bastion almost two years after the initial release, I wouldn't have bought a Bastion 2 without playing the first one. I think indie devs should space sequels at least 3 to 4 years apart.

Xeroblade

Congrats to Supergiant. I can't wait for the next game from these guys. I hope the soundtrack for their next game is just as fantastic as their past two.

lt519

Well deserved. Transistor was my GOTY last year and Bastion was in my top 10 this year.

edit: It was #2 actually, put Bastion at #6 this year

Top Bottom