• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transmission - Isometric sci-fi action on a mysterious alien world

Kickstarter is live

uUcGWYL.png

==

Been following this game for over a year, dev finally released a trailer and has a Kickstarter planned for next month

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuqjC8KAl34
http://paperunicorngames.com/

Edit: here's some of the OST, four tracks from the game
https://soundcloud.com/user-546460460/sets/transmission-sample-ost

Transmission is a hand painted action-adventure game that blends tactical combat, vast exploration, and intricate puzzle solving, along with a rich narrative in the realm of great science fiction cinema.

You find yourself deserted on an unknown planet, with little indication of how you arrived. Armed with your trusty plasma cutter and your ship's sentient artificial intelligence computer, you must search for a way home. During your journey you will uncover secrets and challenges beyond your imagination, along with a hidden past that this strange planet holds. As you discover this hidden past, you will ultimately have to confront your own...

Interestingly, the dev's goal with the art style is to make the world feel like concept art in motion, and I think he does a good job translating his concepts to actual visuals

crash.gif
9Efmp5x.jpg

transmission_010215.jpg

Transmission_screenshot_122014_small.jpg

Awakening_Screenshot.png

Transmission_Sphere.gif

Enforcer

This looks amazing! I wish we had more info, but I suppose its still early. The music and the visuals... I want to play this now!

Galava

tumblr_lwcaabfTnv1qgfo14o1_500.jpg

I would love to see more of the combat and if there is some kind of clue-puzzle system in place. Looks great.

Is it made by one dev? edit-nope

Looks good, although movement animations really bug me.
Oh, they revamped their site. I hadn't seen

This looks amazing! I wish we had more info, but I suppose its still early. The music and the visuals... I want to play this now!
From the dev log
- Combat is...Zelda/Souls inspired: locking onto enemies, energy shield, evading attacks, etc.
- You gather various weapons and items as you traverse the planet
- Weapons are upgradable. Your energy items, shields, etc. are tied to a finite power supply, so use must be managed
- Puzzles are influenced by Resident Evil and adventure games

pa22word

Oddly enough, this is what I picture in my mind's eye when I think of what an isometric Fallout 3 would have looked like.

Keeping my eyes on this one. Even though it's going to have Zelda based controls the animations look a bit off. Hopefully the controls aren't sluggish.

Enforcer

From the dev log
- Combat is...Zelda/Souls inspired: locking onto enemies, energy shield, evading attacks, etc.
- You gather various weapons and items as you traverse the planet
- Weapons are upgradable. Your energy items, shields, etc. are tied to a finite power supply, so use must be managed
- Puzzles are influenced by Resident Evil and adventure games

Well that looks just delightful! Sounds like the recipe for some tense situations where survival will depend on your skill. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

Ok no I'm sorry

That has to be one of the best trailer songs I've ever heard

10/10 would get emotionally manipulated again I'm there once there's a Kickstarter

Dennis

Banned
Everything about that trailer is phenomenal except the combat.

I have zero interest in the combat as displayed here.

Uzzy

That is one damn good trailer. I'm sold instantly. Really great art direction too, I just love how the ground in the distance is drawn in this pic.

Transmission_screenshot_122014_small.jpg

Durante

This made me think of Flashback, I don't know why exactly. Probably a combination of the art, movement and setting.

Looks like THE DIG and CRUSADER: NO REMORSE had a love child with Ridley Scott being the godfather.
Actually the dev said that games like Monkey Island and The Dig influenced the puzzle design in this, and the general tone was influenced by Ico, Another World, Blade Runner, and 2001.

year of the isometric sci-fi adventure game.

looks real similar to Divide.
Divide looks much closer to Stasis than to this game's stylized aesthetic

This looks awesome! Love this kind of sci-fi.

Feels like I already saw too much stuff on the trailer. Better go semi blackout on this one.

They have watched their Ridley Scott's I see. Cool.

Enforcer

I was showing the trailer for this game to a friend of mine, and it hit me that I saw a game not too long ago that was somewhat similar. For the life of me I can't remember the name, but it had you as a survivor of a crashed ship and you had to explore this alien world to find parts for your ship. Each time you died, your ship created a new clone of you, and I think you could actually scan the local fauna and integrate their DNA into your own for increased survivability and combat abilities. The tone and atmosphere was quite similar to this game. I wish I could remember the name! There was even a thread here about it, but my old man brain is not cooperating. I love games in this style, so having more than one of them would be epic... if I could only remember what the other was! Anyone have any ideas?

Weston

Looks great! I feel like I don't see many many isometric games with cinematic sequences. Usually the story just plays out through text or scripted in-game events. It's cool to see things from the characters perspective.

Combat looks interesting. I get the impression it's slow and methodical. He's not hacking through enemies like a bad ass, hes playing defensively looking for openings. I hope it's difficult.

I was showing the trailer for this game to a friend of mine, and it hit me that I saw a game not too long ago that was somewhat similar. For the life of me I can't remember the name, but it had you as a survivor of a crashed ship and you had to explore this alien world to find parts for your ship. Each time you died, your ship created a new clone of you, and I think you could actually scan the local fauna and integrate their DNA into your own for increased survivability and combat abilities. The tone and atmosphere was quite similar to this game. I wish I could remember the name! There was even a thread here about it, but my old man brain is not cooperating. I love games in this style, so having more than one of them would be epic... if I could only remember what the other was! Anyone have any ideas?
That's Beacon (one of the dev team is a GAFfer)
http://beacon.monothetic.com/

Top Bottom