• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Traveling for work while married

deafmedal

I took an 80% traveling position a couple of years back after working close to home for 20+ years. My wife and I discussed it heavily and decided to give it a whirl as the monetary benefit was fairly significant with the proviso that if we felt it would seriously affect our relationship I’d stop. It’s had its ups and downs but at this point we are fairly accustomed to it although we still miss one another and some days are tough...

Anyone in the military is well versed in this and has it much worse. I get to come home a fair bit, have a generous food allowance and earn points for hotels, rentals and airfare to use for personal trips. I usually get a hefty amount of overtime, all travel time is paid from the minute I leave for the airport until I’m in my hotel room plus mileage to the airport (which is 75 miles from my house!). Oct/Nov/Dec I’m usually home most of the time so that’s nice save the general lack of overtime heh.

But the biggest benefit? Fuck me has our sex life kicked into over drive! The few times here and there prior to my taking this position where we were apart for a couple of weeks always led to fun times in the sack. This shit though?! Started with a naughty pic here or there, maybe a little dirty talk/texting... now we balls to the wall. I have a lot of down time (a fair bit while on the clock) and it’s not uncommon for us to get hot and heavy remotely for a couple/few hours at a time. When I do get home? WOW. We’ve both opened up about our fantasies much more and things I thought wouldn’t happen have started to.

Not that our sex life was bad before, we had ups and downs like anyone who has been in a long term relationship. It’s been great putting it all out there and seeing what works for both of us. I love getting a super nasty pic with colleagues near by or while a waitress is coming to refill my water. Sharing links to fun reddit subs and toys. Talking stuff up then enacting when we’re together... 🤤

We usually try to get her out for a visit on some of the longer projects so I can take her to my favorite restaurants and stuff which leads to super dirty drunken hotel sex. God I love dirty hotel sex. She’s gonna fly out in a couple weeks and I plan to make her flight back ass uncomfortable ass possible.

So yeah, TLDR: traveling for work has improved my bank account and my sex life... anyone else have experiences to share?

Scotty W

Gold Member
I can't think of this without thinking of Death of a Salesman. I hope it works out better for you.
Forgive me, dear. I can’t cry. I don’t know what it is, but I can’t cry. I don’t understand it. Why did you ever do that? Help me, Willy, I can’t cry. It seems to me that you’re just on another trip. I keep expecting you. Willy, dear, I can’t cry. Why did you do it? I search and search and I search, and I can’t understand it, Willy. I made the last payment on the house today. Today, dear. And there’ll be nobody home. [A sob rises in her throat.] We’re free and clear. [Sobbing more fully, released.] We’re free. [BIFF comes slowly toward her.] We’re free . . . We’re
free . . .

Last edited:
when i was on the road as a truck driver my wife and I went through similar. Before the kids she used to love taking her vacations from work and riding for a week or so all around the country with me.

Not quite in your situation, but I am very lucky my fiance gets an extremely high discount on any Hilton property if we book in advance. So many awesome hotels we get to bang in. There is a very nice one that is only 3 miles from my house I must have stayed at around 10 times already just so we can get free drinks and lounge around their pool. I was actually able to afford a lengthy vacation to California and play a ton of golf last year whereas normally it would have broken the bank.

nush

Gold Member
Well in my observations there's a whole lot of cheating going on. I was working based around SE Asia for many years so I'd interact with various clients and colleagues from around the world and be there for all their business trips. I did this for multiple companies so it's a very wide cross section.

Both genders although less women wanted to come out to SEA becuse it was a technical field. So many people getting some extra marital action, they didn't care who knew becuse there was a mutual assured destruction if anyone said anything. It wasn't even a "this type of guy" thing as it was going on anywhere from a director with a picture of his family on his desk to the young guy with a fiancée. What goes on tour, really did stay on tour.

I'm guessing OPs wife is aware of this so she's putting in the effort so he's not tempted.

Business trips really are where you are most likely to be cheated on and the least chance of being caught.

giphy.gif

Ownage

Well in my observations there's a whole lot of cheating going on. I was working based around SE Asia for many years so I'd interact with various clients and colleagues from around the world and be there for all their business trips. I did this for multiple companies so it's a very wide cross section.

Both genders although less women wanted to come out to SEA becuse it was a technical field. So many people getting some extra marital action, they didn't care who knew becuse there was a mutual assured destruction if anyone said anything. It wasn't even a "this type of guy" thing as it was going on anywhere from a director with a picture of his family on his desk to the young guy with a fiancée. What goes on tour, really did stay on tour.

I'm guessing OPs wife is aware of this so she's putting in the effort so he's not tempted.

Business trips really are where you are most likely to be cheated on and the least chance of being caught.
Yep, been there done that.

deafmedal

Oh, I am sure! In order to have a successful relationship/marriage there has to be a certain level of trust to begin with and even more to make a situation like mine work. Ofc, there is always the possibility she would fool around on me and decimate what we have and crush my delicate heart but I cannot live my life thinking about shit like that. If it happens I’ll deal with it...

I do know that I haven’t stepped out on her and wouldn’t- we click very well and I won’t ask for something I can’t give. I imagine conferences would be quite difficult for anyone to not be tempted (especially those who are unhappy/unfaithful to begin with)... booze, a level of secrecy and the titillation factor must be quite the potent concoction.

My hours are all over the place and I am usually too tired to do much more than eat sleep/rest and get the occasional workout in. I imagine if I spent my free time at the bar eventually the temptation would be too tough. Thankfully I work around a bunch of dudes and that just ain’t my scene 😉

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
People with these jobs have a high rate of cheating.
You're in another city where nobody knows you or your spouse and you have a hotel room ready to go back to.
Its almost too easy.

Last edited by a moderator:

nush

Gold Member
I fantasise about meeting a horny housewife whose husband is often away. Watch out bro I’m on the prowl
The husband does not even need to be away, neglected housewives are on dating apps in significant numbers. Banged a few myself.

deafmedal

The husband does not even need to be away, neglected housewives are on dating apps in significant numbers. Banged a few myself.
If my wife cheated on me I'd totally bag some hot wives lol. Women have needs too idiots!

We had a pretty good talk about this today, really seems a lot of men don't like reciprocating during sex? Shit, my wife cumming is fucking amazing, I feel bad if she doesn't bust a nut. Women have a hard time opening up about what works for them and I guess dudes get offended? Fuck that noise, tell me what works, I wanna make you squirt and quiver 🤤

lock2k

Banned
I don't know if I would be able to handle a situation like this because of my daughter. I wouldn't stand to be away from her a lot of time.

The longest I've been away from her was 10 days (my wife was travelling with her mom and her) and I had to stay to work.

I keep imagining what musicians go through away from their families. :(

deafmedal

I don't know if I would be able to handle a situation like this because of my daughter. I wouldn't stand to be away from her a lot of time.

The longest I've been away from her was 10 days (my wife was travelling with her mom and her) and I had to stay to work.

I keep imagining what musicians go through away from their families. :(
Yeah, totally agree. It seems quite difficult for my coworkers who have young children. My kid will be 17 next month, our everyday close knit time ended around 12-13 which was hard as fuck for me then, watching the independent streak grow. It does seem like he values our time together now as infrequent as it is, we just strive for quality over quantity- good 2-3 hour conversations between the 3 of us usually every trip home and we try to do things he likes out and about. Work has been good with letting me get home for things like plays and such...

Ofc this cuts into my sexy time with the wife but gotta make sacrifices for our kids, right?! 😂

lil puff

Travelling for work has always meant "side chick" in my family.

Shit, my dad was so bad, he would make excuses like taking me and my brothers to the video arcade.
One time, he made us wait in the car for 2 hours while he did his thing at some strange townhouse. The lady came out and she was grossly overweight.

My brother is married and just yesterday sent me pics of his other girl in Colombia. He is travelling there in a few weeks.

I'm changing the subject here.
Whenever I travelled away, I get homesick and miss my other very badly, so I avoid travel.
I do think in some cases, it can make a relationship stronger.

lock2k

Banned

Shit, my dad was so bad, he would make excuses like taking me and my brothers to the video arcade.
One time, he made us wait in the car for 2 hours while he did his thing at some strange townhouse. The lady came out and she was grossly overweight.

My brother is married and just yesterday sent me pics of his other girl in Colombia. He is travelling there in a few weeks.

I'm changing the subject here.
Whenever I travelled away, I get homesick and miss my other very badly, so I avoid travel.
I do think in some cases, it can make a relationship stronger.

That's terrible.

Not the part about your relationship, you seem to be really grounded and responsible, but your dad and your brother are total sleazeballs. lol

Mihos

Gold Member
I have periods where I have to travel a lot for work.

I am not a big fan of travel, but if you want to compete at a high level, you have to willing to do it. Luckily, my wife has always been great about this, and I never had to worry about anything back home.

Now that we are older and the kids are out, she can sometimes travel with me sometimes.

lil puff

That's terrible.

Not the part about your relationship, you seem to be really grounded and responsible, but your dad and your brother are total sleazeballs. lol
Yep.

They take pride in it. My dad is in his 60s and still brags about it.

It's not just them. We found out awhile back that my Uncle had this hidden second family.
He had a second life, kids and all.

Speaking of travelling, years back we went to Alabama for a family reunion. That's where we met his other family. Talk about awkward LOL. Amazingly, his actual wife, my real Aunt, took it in stride.

lil puff

I have periods where I have to travel a lot for work.

I am not a big fan of travel, but if you want to compete at a high level, you have to willing to do it. Luckily, my wife has always been great about this, and I never had to worry about anything back home.

Now that we are older and the kids are out, she can sometimes travel with me sometimes.
See, where I work, some of my coworkers have to travel a lot as well.
But they don't go to interesting places. They go to places like Bristol, PA, or some random place in CT.
It's like, wouldn't the wife be sitting in a hotel bored to death?

I've been told that the only enjoyable thing is dining on the company card.

On the other hand, another coworker travels to Hong Kong. The company (under the table) allows him also a flight on the way back to the Philippines to see his family, which is nice. He gets a free trip home every year.

nush

Gold Member

Was sharing a hotel room with one of the company directors and he very kindly brought me a ticket to see Titanic and a very generous budget for snacks.

Just so he could go out for that evening to visit a friend in that city bang a hooker that looked like Geri Haliwell in our room for a couple of hours. I saw what you were planning dude, I saw.

Top Bottom