• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Travis Scott PS5 commercial (he really did have the PS5)

This is a very good move for Sony to counter Microsoft buying Bethesda

TbzVgwh.gif
Well, Sony will dominate 2021 for sure. In long run...It is a separate matter of course.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
ethomaz ethomaz

Not a fan of consoles in general (except nintendo switch), but I don't see a problem with Bugsnax. Its not only good, but healthy to have games catered to kids. I'd rather them playing that than some violent game you or I would play.

It's true, it's great for gets. Sackboy is a must for me though ;) It's great that we are seeing more and more family-friendly games next gen as this gen been too adult-driven and alienated kids. Then suddenly people wonder why kinds are playing mostly GTA5 even though they're below 18 years old.

One of the biggest factors for The Switch success is being very family-friendly.

AllBizness

Banned
Why did they send it to some nobody? Instead of someone whom is famous like Eminem or Dr. dre etc, if it had to be a rapper?

And yes, this dude is _nobody_ because first time I heard about him were from this PS5 thing, even that sixty9er dude that looks like kids drawing paper is more universally known than this dude
Stop with this console war bs, Travis Scott is way more known then that Daniel guy marketing the Xbox. Pretty sure Microsoft only decided to use a black guy after seeing Sony do it first.

LarknThe4th

Three things

The music is cool(interesting scratchy mix, your ear can her the progession but it has to work for it)

The Playstation HQ looks cool

But dont have the engineering team try to look cool by crossing there arms, it's a bit cringe

But it's odd and interesting and that is what PS are good at

Not a fan of consoles in general (except nintendo switch), but I don't see a problem with Bugsnax. Its not only good, but healthy to have games catered to kids. I'd rather them playing that than some violent game you or I would play.

They was a thread a while back and the average age is way way higher than I expected. Ones with female anime avatars too 😂

Haha true, I fucking hate gaming culture and everything it stands for but I do like to play videogames. :messenger_pensive:

Love the game hate the players.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I feel old each time I see here somebody supposedly famous and I've never, never, heard any single word about him.

And 5 years from now, it'll be someone else, and the kiddies will proclaim the new one as the great artist of our time. And then 5 years after that...

It feels like an eternity ago when everyone was pretending Rihanna was the most amazing musical talent to ever live :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Blond

Banned
I don't wanna sound all conspiratorial... But I think there is a shadow force within Sony's management with the sole purpose of making me buy Xbox.

because they partnered with someone that’ll make all the fortnight kids who make up the majority of gaming (let’s be real) vs a major hardcore gaming forum full of mostly college educated people in their late 20s and early 30s? Color me shocked if they go for that vs us.

I kinda figured someone would post Sicko mode to defend Travis Scott. Don’t hate the guy just honestly haven’t heard much beyond that and I mainly listen to punk and hip hop. Dude seems to be living a fun life and really that’s what it’s all about. Good for him.

Rolla

Banned
Xbox blew their load all this year. sony waited with frustrating silence. Sony has been saving up for this... Gonna be blowing up the headlines for the next month.. get ready y'all get ready

So what you're saying is that PlayStation has been playing chess not checkers? This whole time?!

tenor.gif

Ten_Fold

he's extremely talented. it's not even subjective.
Yeah he had probably one of the biggest songs in recent memory, he makes like pop rap music an have a big fan base, also givin the climate of the u.s this was a good move. Anyone hating is just a hater at this point.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Auto tune rapper + audio fidelity?! Wait, what?!
Autotune is a tool. Nothing else. It's like complaining about a vocoder
No offense, but that isn't helping lol. They should have went with someone more talented to say the least.
Music is and always was subjective, so you saying he got no talent is like saying I like apples but dislike strawberries.
He obviously does something right though, otherwise he wouldn't be where he is.
If you compare him to the greatest of the 90', 00's, even 10's, he wouldn't hold a candle to them. But times have changed, especially the music industry, and what records radio stations play. Get a good beat, and you can improvise everything else now a days...
Aight bro, if thats all you have to do then go ahead. You should have a nr 1. album by next week by how you talking.
I hate this new age of thinking. People can't dislike a certain artist
I dislike a lot of music so having an opinion is completely fine. If you go the extra mile by trying to judge art objectively though, then you just end up sounding like a pretentious douche.
I listen to all kinds of music, from all era's and all genres, some popular stuff, some completely obscure stuff and even if I dislike a certaint song or work of an artist I'd never act like my preferences are better than other's.
Criticism is fine and all, but it should be constructive and helpful. This type of thought ("this artist is objectively bad because of autotune and lyrics about drugs, back then musicians at least played real instruments") doesn't help though, because it's limited to your opinion/your preferences. How does it come, that some people can go back to songs from the 80s for example and enjoy them or at the very least respect the effort but other people listening to newer tracks end up shit talking them to the ground in the likes of "anyone can do this" or "its just mumbling" etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:

ethomaz

Banned
because they partnered with someone that’ll make all the fortnight kids who make up the majority of gaming (let’s be real) vs a major hardcore gaming forum full of mostly college educated people in their late 20s and early 30s? Color me shocked if they go for that vs us.
Most here are in 30-40s not 20-30s.

20s knows Travis Scott... these are the gamers that grew up with Minecraft and Fortnite.

Last edited:

The Shift

Banned
This is talent:

Travis Scott strikes me as what casuals or the mainstream would think of as 'edgy' all the while being a 'brand first' by design media entity.

timmyp53

Its an ad for a business christsakes. All these people in here telling at clouds. Yikes...

No one cares about your opinion of what good music is or who would be a better fit.

Sonys marketing team aren't doing this willy nilly without research on penetration and impact.

You do not matter.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Dislike is different from saying he is irrelevant, talentless, etc.

Newsflash: someone else can consider irrelevant or talentless someone you consider relevant or talented, and the world will continue to spin.

Sonys marketing team aren't doing this willy nilly without research on penetration and impact.

It's almost like Sony's marketing team has done nothing willy nilly as of late.

You do not matter.

Because you say so. 😂

Last edited:

timmyp53

Newsflash: someone else can consider irrelevant or talentless someone you consider relevant or talented, and the world will continue to spin.

It's almost like Sony's marketing team has done nothing willy nilly as of late.

Because you say so. 😂
Oooh look the consumer got me.

Its an ad for a business christsakes. All these people in here telling at clouds. Yikes...

No one cares about your opinion of what good music is or who would be a better fit.

You do not matter.

Literally this.

It's fine that you dont know who he is, but let's not be pretentious and act high and mighty because "kids these days dont know what good music and talent is."

Its 2020, all of media and entertainment is fractured due to the multiple platforms anyone can find entertainment from.

The age of Michael Jackson's, Elvis Presley's, Queen, The Beatles, and the likes that had a really huge grasp on the world that found themselves enamored with these talented people are over.

No one will ever be as big as that in todays world.

I doubt I'd ever find a Travis Scott photo posted up in a barbershop in India like I would find Elvis Presley.

You do not matter.

Exactly. I don't like Travis Scott and I don't really like modern hip hop* all that much, but I have the modesty to understand not everything is aimed at me. All this WHO IS THIS DUDE really reads like autistic solipsism.

*except Danny Brown:

Dude could be in prime Wu-Tang.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
But relevancy stems from status and impact, which Travis Scott both has, so saying he isn't relevant is wrong.

Microsoft: Buys Bethesda/Zenimax. Internet goes insane. Your move Sony.

Sony: We got Travis Scott. He’s a rapper. He’s mainstream and stuff.

Microsoft: 😭😭😭😭

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
But relevancy stems from status and impact, which Travis Scott both has, so saying he isn't relevant is wrong.

Relevancy is an entirely subjective thing. What is relevant to you can be less relevant than a roll of toilet paper to me. This appears to be exactly the case.

I have only one feeling for people who let their purchasing decisions be led or influenced by celebrities, and that's pity.

Last edited:
S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Relevancy is an entirely subjective thing.
No, its not. Relevance can be subjective (this certaint thing is relevant to me, its irrelevant to you), but context matters and in the context of the comments in this thread it was clearly about Travis Scott being irrelevant as in barely known, not popular, a nobody in his field or whatever you wanna call it, and thats wrong objectively.

Not knowing him is fine, having the opinion he isn't relevant to your personal life or decisions is fine too (obviously), but saying he is irrelevant as an artist is wrong on a factual basis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tefl0n

For reference, Travis Scott is as big as Drake to the teenage group. I don’t listen to a lot of his music but he’s so popular that his McDonald’s promotion had McDonald’s running out of those sub par burgers(yuck) . When he wears a certain sneaker, the sneaker sells out and triples in price... I don’t get all the appeal but he is huge for hype. Not that PlayStation needs anymore hype to sell out but there are definitely children thinking they need a PS5 because Travis is has one. I’ve seen some comments about Eminem, JayZ and Beyoncé ... look no one will believe they actually play games and their fan base is older, less impressed and not moved to want a ps5 because JayZ has one

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Aside from maybe Beyoncé and Lady Gaga, I can’t think of any of the recent crop of auteurs who will be remembered in two to three decades.
Not even Adele for pop music?
Kanye West for producing and composing?
Lil Wayne, Kendrick Lamar and Drake for rap?
I mean being remembered is relative anyway, because it can be both in a positive and negative matter, but I am pretty sure those will be remembered alongside plenty of others. It should be noted that a lot artists from the 80s or 90s (that people still remember) are still doing music. Maybe not as popular as they used to be but its kinda hard to become completely irrelevant for the industry when you keep droping music. An artist still going gold (or close to it) in this day and age despite not being in the limelight for years is a testament to the impact they have made.

Top Bottom