• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Treasure Wants To Make Guardian Heroes 2, Depends On How Guardian Heroes XBLA Does

Gaspode_T

There is an interview with Treasure in the July Famitsu 360 issue...I was hoping Andriasang or one of the Japanese news sites would cover it but here are some of the more interesting bits of information from it:

• They started thinking about it after finishing Bleach Wii
  • They originally wanted to jump right into making Guardian Heroes 2, but after seeing the wild success of Castle Crashers, they thought they would re-introduce the world to the series since it's been so long. Their hope seems to also be to prove to Sega that a full Guardian Heroes 2 would sell well.
  • They originally wanted to recreate everything in HD, but the idea was scrapped and it seemed the best approach to re-use the Saturn artwork as is, with a shader/post-effect mode and an original mode. They found out about how important retaining original graphics are with the PS2 ports of Nights and Dynamite Deka.
  • There is an original gameplay mode with nearly all quirks of the original intact, save for some bug fixing. They know well of problems with the original game's balance, so to counter that for the remix/arrange mode they have a host of different configurations that can be set manually, such as turning flying off and making line movement that was abused before impossible. They are hoping that people use these rules/configs to make online play more fun and balanced, but rely upon users to maybe find "good hosts" that set sensible rules.
  • The character balance is fixed for arrange mode, and they believe overall the game plays with a better rhythm and flow. The sound is the same but more sound effects and voice are available because they were cut for Saturn's limitations. Now some skeletons and villagers talk that didn't before
  • 12 person battles are possible, they think it will be "Quite crazy!". They really want people to have fun with the game and seem to be counting on good sales of this game to float the idea of GH2.

Ra1den

Treasure, the company that went from never making sequels, to ONLY making sequels. Not that I mind as long as they keep giving us games.

_dementia said:
Less shitty than the GBA game pls.

GBA game was great*, just different.

Once you got past the first level and they actually let you put a few points into your stats. The difficulty is crushing when you first start out.

MightyKAC

Gaspode_T said:
[*]They originally wanted to jump right into making Guardian Heroes 2, but after seeing the wild success of Castle Crashers, they thought they would re-introduce the world to the series since it's been so long. Their hope seems to also be to prove to Sega that a full Guardian Heroes 2 would sell well.

Out of all studios, WHY would FUCKING TREASURE need to prove SHIT to anyone. Like every other game they've made is a fucking cult classic.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
"Treasure Wants To Make Guardian Heroes 2, Depends On How Guardian Heroes XBLA Does"

Oh Treasure, using the good ol' book of marketing tricks aren't cha?

Tain

Huh. I wonder how this would turn out.

MightyKAC said:
Out of all studios, WHY would FUCKING TREASURE need to prove SHIT to anyone. Like every other game they've made is a fucking cult classic.

I'd only consider Ikaruga, Alien Soldier, and maybe S&P2 great. There are a lot of people that don't do the "Treasure = day 1" thing.

Daigoro

sounds good to me.

i also enjoyed AGH.

Tain said:
Huh. I wonder how this would turn out.

I'd only consider Ikaruga, Alien Soldier, and maybe S&P2 great. There are a lot of people that don't do the "Treasure = day 1" thing.

youre nuts. S&P1 and Bangaioh among others were also great.

MightyKAC

Gunstar Super Heroes (what it's called where I'm from. Needs no apology, it was a solid ass shooter with some fuck-awesome ass music.

Tain said:
There are a lot of people that don't do the "Treasure = day 1" thing.

And this is what's wrong with video gaming today.

If you want something, you should do it. The best games are games that are made by a passionate team, not by a team that makes a sequel because the previous game sold well.

So, this statement is only to increase sales of the HD-remake.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
oh so if it sells well enough they'll make a sequel?

Guess I'll buy my brother the game too.

There is an original gameplay mode with nearly all quirks of the original intact, save for some bug fixing. They know well of problems with the original game's balance, so to counter that for the remix/arrange mode they have a host of different configurations that can be set manually, such as turning flying off and making line movement that was abused before impossible. They are hoping that people use these rules/configs to make online play more fun and balanced, but rely upon users to maybe find "good hosts" that set sensible rules.

The character balance is fixed for arrange mode, and they believe overall the game plays with a better rhythm and flow. The sound is the same but more sound effects and voice are available because they were cut for Saturn's limitations. Now some skeletons and villagers talk that didn't before

I like this alot

an option for the original game, a new version treasure did themselves and supporting what seems to be a large amount of config options for the versus mode

Should be fun to play around with. Cool to see them putting work into making versus better, when everyone would have been ok with just the 12 player.

Was a huge Saturn fan back in the day (still have my flawless launch day unit!) and yet I missed out on Guardian Heroes. By the time I went to buy it, it was fetching large sums on eBay.

So I can't wait for this "HD-ish" release.

Kulock said:
GBA game was great*, just different.

Once you got past the first level and they actually let you put a few points into your stats. The difficulty is crushing when you first start out.
I actually had some fun with the GBA came, but it wasn't nearly as good as the original.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Wow. Stealing from Capcom's playbook. limiting your sales to one platform is silly though. then again, Sony is basically making it that way so what the hell (no excuse to ignore PC in 2011 though).

angelfly

Even though I'm sure I'll end up getting it I'm sick of these "If you want a sequel to <insert game that you loved> then you'd better buy the remake of <insert game that you loved>" campaigns.

Daigoro

Notorious_Roy said:
If you want something, you should do it. The best games are games that are made by a passionate team, not by a team that makes a sequel because the previous game sold well.

So, this statement is only to increase sales of the HD-remake.

i guess you and Vic would know best, eh?

nothing to see here folks. this is all just propaganda for more GH HD sales. move along now.

If their plan was to convince everybody I know to get this then I was already gonna do that. However if you wanted me force people against their will with a weapon of some sort then all you had to do was ask. But it's good to know that Treasure wants to do a part 2. I'll do my share to spread the word.

jay

Treasure is awesome but needs to make some new stuff. As far as i can tell, Ikaruga was the last original game they made (non-sequel or licensed property, not that their sequels or licensed games aren't usually great).

Why didn't Treasure learn their lesson with Sin and Punishment? The original sold a shitload of copies on the Virtual Console, so they went ahead and made a sequel, and nobody bought the sequel. They need to just go ahead with the GH sequel and pack in the original game as an unlockable bonus instead.

A shame that Castle Crashers rode into next-gen first, as it isn't half the game that Guardian Heroes is despite being heavily influenced by it. Ideally, GH2 should happen if it's good enough by their own standards, which have some decent sized lowpoints if you look at a their releases over the last decade. If Sega wants in on a sequel, Sega should help Treasure get the XBLA game in front of more eyeballs with more support.

stuminus3

That's sort of what happened with Sin & Punishment, and we know how that one turned out.

Totally fucking awesome!

Koralsky

It's day one for me, but only if it ever come to PSN.

I can't understand Treasure for not releasing his old games for PSN.

Koralsky said:
It's day one for me, but only if it ever come to PSN.

I can't understand Treasure for not releasing his old games for PSN.
Seems pretty clear that MS has gone after Treasure stuff more than Sony has and that's why there's nothing newly released to PSN from them. Of course, that's also the reason why there's just a metric ton more stuff on XBLA versus PSN when it comes to exclusives and new releases and not just a bunch of old disc images running on an emulator.

Top Bottom