• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Trek To Yomi made more money being on Game Pass" Says Developer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

nominedomine nominedomine Just wanted to state this isn't an attempt to call you out. I genuinely want your opinion on the subject at hand, because I'm thinking the truth about Gamepass lies somewhere between making devs succeed and making them fail, and that maybe it's not as clear as we both thought.

nominedomine nominedomine Just wanted to state this isn't an attempt to call you out. I genuinely want your opinion on the subject at hand, because I'm thinking the truth about Gamepass lies somewhere between making devs succeed and making them fail, and that maybe it's not as clear as we both thought.
My take is that people won't be lining up to pay good money for something that is being "given away" in some other service (I know that I wont). It also doesn't help that the game doesn't seem to be very good so that's even more incentive for people not to buy it.

Personally I don't buy any game that is in one of these service, if I want to play the game and it's much cheaper to subscribe for one month and play it that's what I'll do.

If a dev/publisher is confident in their game they'll take their chances selling it themselves, but I get that for indie games it isn't as simple because it isn't easy to get the spotlight competing against so many other indie games, so getting their game into one of these services might be their best shot.

What is weird about this one is the fact that Sony was promoting a game that was a day 1 Gamespass release, not a great look for Sony.

edit: Who is this guy? What is so surprising about a poorly reviewed game flopping? Why is it good that MS ended up paying more money for a game than it seems to be worth?

Last edited:

Stuart360

MS is overpaying. Just like Netflix did.

MS is basically paying for the Game Pass Growth.

Devs gotta take MS's money baby.
Well unless you got some numbers, none of us know if they are overpaying.
After the EPIC leaks and we saw how surprisingly low EPIC were paying for exclusivity, i'm sure Microsoft are paying a lot less than people think for these games. I mean they paid what?, $6mil for GOTG. Yes the game had been out 3 months or whatever it was but still.

As for helping sales, look for an Indie game, and some AA games, Gamepass probably does help sales to an extent, namely from word of mouth for a game that probably hasnt had much promotion.
Fot a massive AAA game, Gamepass wont help sales, but again studios dont have to put their games on Gamepass if they dont want to.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good to see MS support indies with promotions and GP.

MS seems like the only console maker left that promotes indie games regularly every year with their E3/streamed shows and day one sub service.

I'm sure Sony and Nintendo can offer a negligible amount of money and help promote the indie scene, but they both seem too cheap to do anything about it.

Last edited:

ByWatterson

I have started to see Game Pass like this:

- Guarantees experimental indie development
- Microsoft acquisitions support flashy AAA space (which seems otherwise unsustainable)
- Service games can still be revenue bread and butter without boxing out the two categories above

Last edited:
Well unless you got some numbers, none of us know if they are overpaying.
Bruh.

Adter the EPIC leaks and we saw how surprisingly low EPIC were paying for exclusivity, i'm sure Microsoft are paying a lot less than people think for these games.
"Well unless you got some numbers, none of us know if they are underpaying"

I mean they paid what?, $6mil for GOTG. Yes the game had been out 3 months or whatever it was but still.
Well. If devs are happy with MS paycheck..what does that mean?

1.MS pay the full production cost of the game?
2.MS pay the full production AND some profit?

The objective of a game (in the business sense ) is to turn aprofit right?

As for helping sales, look for an Indie game, and some AA games, Gamepass probably does help sales to an extent, namely from word of mouth for a game that probably hasnt had much promotion.
The game still needs to be great (8/10) on metacriric. If not, chances are that they get lost in a sea of content.

Fot a massive AAA game, Gamepass wont help sales,
If the game is bad/medicore. (Just like indies)

All the 'sales' speculation is quite tricky to figure out. The only constant is the quality of a game.

This is why publishers use metascore and the like as a metric of quality.

but again studios dont have to put their games on Gamepass if they dont want to.
Of course.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Of course it does, we have developers upon developers from both Indie and big budget studios praising the service.

That’s not a developer from Trek, but they do offer valuable insight.

It’s been obvious for awhile that GP is good for gamers and good for devs. I don’t know why people get so caught up in how much it costs MS.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That’s not a developer from Trek, but they do offer valuable insight.

It’s been obvious for awhile that GP is good for gamers and good for devs. I don’t know why people get so caught up in how much it costs MS.
Because the last argument gamers have against Game Pass is where they become armchair accountants downplaying it due to financials. They cant complain about all the games, price, discounts, all games downloadable (instead of streamed! lol), etc... so it's come down to guessing balance sheets and income statements.

And the funny thing is MS is one of the most profitable companies in the world making over $60 billion profit per year. Also, nobody even knows what the financials are of Game Pass or what kind of deal all these game makers get putting a game on GP. So they are arguing about unknowns about a $2 trillion market cap corporation.

Well, give fanboys credit for finding any scrap of info and trying to spin it to make themselves feel better.

In every other industry, a corporation giving options and access to their goods and services is well appreciated. MS is doing that and some people hate it. Yet their favourite brand doesn't and they never ever downplay their side of the fence.

MLB The Show on GP for two years is awesome. Why pay full price when you get it on sub? This might be the first time in history sports games go day one sub. Great game too as the last time I played it was MLB 06 on PS2. Thanks to Sony for making the game for Xbox! Played it, had some fun and cost me $0.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
As in...you seem to forget Microsoft Rewards exists.
Personally haven't paid a red cent for GP Ultimate since day one.

points.png

Nor have I. Check my post history. The time and effort you put into Game Pass Quests/Rewards/Bing Activities isn't free, and any job would compensate you far more for equal time. Further, you, and I, are outliers.

Last edited:

coffinbirth

Nor have I. Check my post history. The time and effort you put into Game Pass Quests/Rewards/Bing Activities isn't free, and any job would compensate you far more for equal time. Further, you, and I, are outliers.
I mean, I do all of that at work, save for the gaining of Achievements/gameplay specific quests(unless it's a streaming title).
But yes, I concede we are likely outliers in that regard, although most of my irl friends do it as well.

bender

What time is it?
I mean, I do all of that at work, save for the gaining of Achievements/gameplay specific quests(unless it's a streaming title).
But yes, I concede we are likely outliers in that regard, although most of my irl friends do it as well.

You should be working at work, young man, and not doing quizzes. :p

It doesn't take a long time but I'd estimate about 10 minutes a day if you were to do everything (which I do). That's 300 minutes a month for 20,000 (estimates) or five hours for twenty bucks. It's a great program but you are trading effort for points and spending those points on Game Pass which isn't "free".

coffinbirth

You should be working at work, young man, and not doing quizzes. :p

It doesn't take a long time but I'd estimate about 10 minutes a day if you were to do everything (which I do). That's 300 minutes a month for 20,000 (estimates) or five hours for twenty bucks. It's a great program but you are trading effort for points and spending those points on Game Pass which isn't "free".
fair-enough-shea-brennan.gif

MS has said many times that each deal is different so everyone who claims that GP is good for all devs is full of it. For an indie game that likely wouldn't have made much money through sales maybe guaranteed money from MS is a benefit. We don't get many new AAA games in GP so it's not like there is any proof of that being the case for the games many of us actually want to play, most AAA games come to GP MONTHS after release. We do know by NPD that MS 1st party game sales drop faster than the did before GP was a thing.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Had always said the obvious, AA and Indie games is where GamePass shines.
For indies it’s great because you just try the game and see if you like it, instead of taking a risk buying something you may end up not liking.

And in most cases the subscription money was used to finance the game from scratch (or from an early concept or prototype) so it helps the entire ecosystem and brings new studios and games to the spotlight.

And this isn’t just GP, a year or two from now those games which were added day 1 to GP will be on the new PS+ also helping them fund their next project.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom