• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah is doing an absolutely excellent job with the Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, no he isn't. He's filling air time fairly competently, but he's not doing an "absolutely excellent job." That show went from ground zero for biting critique of American culture to "politics for people who think Jimmy Fallon has the right amount of edge," and it's pretty much entirely because of him.

Easily the best political comedy show out there right now.

I read this as "I don't watch Samantha Bee or John Oliver"

Samantha Bee is IMO the best political satire host on television. She can deliver jokes with ease, and her writers are excellent. The only down point is that it airs once a week and a lot of news stories from the week can get hidden away with "more important" stories.

Trevor is doing fine but I would not say "excellent"

I couldn't even get through the clips you posted without cringing.

Sorry.

His personality just doesn't fit the humor or jokes they write for him. It's a complete mismatch. I literally repeat everything he says in Stewart's voice and it fits just right. I feel like the writers aren't catering to Trevor Noah's personality, so the delivery for everything just lacks that punch and charisma.

edit: I'm open to watching any of the better clips on the show? People say he's gotten better, I'd love to see if possible.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Samantha Bee is IMO the best political satire host on television. She can deliver jokes with ease, and her writers are excellent. The only down point is that it airs once a week and a lot of news stories from the week can get hidden away with "more important" stories.

Trevor is doing fine but I would not say "excellent"

Yup. Samantha Bee's Full Frontal is a better The Daily Show than The Daily Show is at this point. She's just a lot funnier.

Geist-

Trevor might have been okay if he wasn't competing with Samantha Bee and John Oliver. He's nowhere near their level and it doesn't help that he has to put out an episode every day.

I couldn't even get through the clips you posted without cringing.

Sorry.

His personality just doesn't fit the humor or jokes they write for him. It's a complete mismatch. I literally repeat everything he says in Stewart's voice and it fits just right. I feel like the writers aren't catering to Trevor Noah's personality, so the delivery for everything just lacks that punch and charisma.

edit: I'm open to watching any of the better clips on the show? People say he's gotten better, I'd love to see if possible.

That's exactly up what I've been thinking.

The writing is still great. But they're writing it as if Stewart is still around. And Noah is no Stewart.

Kevinroc

I think he's doing just fine. I understand the preference for Bee and Oliver (I think they're doing better, too), but I think Noah is doing a fine job as the host of the Daily Show.

(Larry Wilmore has also improved a great deal since he started.)

Switzer

At first I thought he wasn't that great, but now I think hes pretty good. It felt like the writers had to learn what did and didn't work with him, because he is of course very different from Stewart.

That being said, I enjoyed Stewart more, without a doubt. But I do like the new corespondents better than the last ones with Stewart.

SoulUnison

Banned
I often don't care for his delivery, he stumbles on pronunciation frequently, and he's often upstaged by his correspondents, who are almost all fantastic.
There's a couple new segments they've been trying out that I absolutely can't stand, though.
One is one of the female correspondents doing what's essentially a bad 90s stand-up routine.

I think he's doing a fair enough job, though, and the show's at least still moderately informative.

There's definitely some legitimate complaints about the way the show's being run now, but it's questionable if those are necessarily Noah's decisions.
Mostly, I'm just getting sick of hearing people jump to not-so-subtle racism when they criticize the show since he's taken over.
"I don't want to hear some African/foreigner make fun of America" seems to be a weirdly prevalent sentiment.
A couple of my friends seem to be legitimately offended whenever he mentions his African heritage. "Oh there he goes talking about how he's African again. He just won't let us forget it, will he?"
As if Stewart wasn't constantly playing to comedic Jewish stereotypes.

Yup. Samantha Bee's Full Frontal is a better The Daily Show than The Daily Show is at this point. She's just a lot funnier.

Bee was actually my favorite correspondent when she was with the Daily Show, and while Full Frontal feels informative, I'm sometimes turned off by how off-the-rails she lets her "new" persona run.
Sometimes she has really excellent topics and points to work with but she lowers the level of discourse by needing to throw in a couple lame jabs and lame taunts.
It's weird when I can watch a show and generally agree with everything that's being said but feel a bit embarrassed by how it's being presented.

Please, Samantha - you're a political edutainment program, not a sketch comedy show.

Scirrocco

He's not bad, I'm watching the newest episode right now coincidentally. I just wish he'd stop those terrible Impressions. They just sound so forced and unfunny.

Wilmore's show is just plain awful. The only thing less funny than him is his panel.

Exactly.

Wilmore's hosting makes me cringe, his delivery is just garbage. And his panels amount to 2 Nightly Show cast members (1 of which is a moron and the other is level headed to an extent) and then "insert celebrity who was willing to come on the show that night."

Depending on the topic, someone on the panel will turn it into a shitshow and Wilmore will further the flames by saying something stupid or off-putting.

Comedy Central or someone needs to re-tool the Nightly Show, badly. Because at this point its just a group of people collecting a paycheck.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I really like his style of humor. I've been enjoying the snippets of the show I catch on YouTube.

Ultima_5

i can't stand him. i hate any actor who laughs at their jokes.

if people want to see someone doing an excellent job at the daily show, they should watch full frontal with samantha bee.

Durden77

Trevor might have been okay if he wasn't competing with Samantha Bee and John Oliver. He's nowhere near their level and it doesn't help that he has to put out an episode every day.

I mean yeah but those are full grown adults in this field. Of course they're excellent and comparing them to Trevor is a bit unfair. He's just a baby. A baby doing a really good job.

Wilmore's show is just plain awful. The only thing less funny than him is his panel.

To each his own, I think he's great.

I'll agree however the panel is terrible. He needs to have people on who aren't comedians and actually understand the issues they're talking about.

Gutek

No, no he isn't. He's filling air time fairly competently, but he's not doing an "absolutely excellent job." That show went from ground zero for biting critique of American culture to "politics for people who think Jimmy Fallon has the right amount of edge," and it's pretty much entirely because of him.

I read this as "I don't watch Samantha Bee or John Oliver"

Samantha Bee is charismatic, but the writing is so so.
Can't get over Oliver's spiel of yelling the same shit twice for comedic effect. Plus he's yelling too much in general.

Makki

OP tried... OP failed. Sorry dude, he's not even close to good. Should have had his own spin off show not named The Daily Show

Samantha Bee has filled the hole in my heart Jon left. The bad part is the current TDS correspondents are awesome and I always look up their segments, I just don't laugh when I watch Trevor. His standup is pretty good, but he just feels off on the show.

Fox Mulder

Maybe he'll get better in time.

It's just a shame we don't have classic TDS and The Colbert Report anymore for this election.

SoulUnison

Banned
It's just a shame we don't have classic TDS and The Colbert Report anymore for this election.

It's weird how they both dropped from political satire just as this insane election season started winding up, isn't it?
I'm just saying, I've talked to some of the brightest, smartest people - they're the best - and let me tell you: there's something going on there, folks.
There is something going on.

Jinkies

I remember when Jon took over the Daily Show from Craig Kilborn, and I remember a lot of people absolutely hated him. It took time.

Over 8 years of GWB material gave Stewart an enormous runway to get better.

Once Trump is gone, how is Noah supposed to do the same with only regional legislators to pick on?

I don't watch the show but I'm always surprised when I hear complaints against Noah. I've got to assume it's the jokes that are written for him because his stand up in the UK was great.

Show is trash. I gave it a fair shot.

I like his smiling good natured attitude is all wrong for the show. Stewart showed utter distain for the things that were worthy of being detested. Trevor just sort of sits there smiling the whole time.

Stewart's Daily Show had an element of gallows humor missing from Noah's Daily Show. I knew I could tune in each night and share I Stewart's exasperation over whatever was going on in the news.

Such diverse opinions. I will have to check this out as I've been away for awhile and now is the perfect time with Bill Maher on break. Many complaints seem to revolve around him not being Jon Stewart. I liked Jon as well but everyone should bring their own flavor to a show.

Apathy

You're entitled to your opinion, no one can take that away from you.

I think the majority disagree. Haven't the numbers been down for the show?

Jon just couldn't be replaced

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Over 8 years of GWB material gave Stewart an enormous runway to get better.

Once Trump is gone, how is Noah supposed to do the same with only regional legislators to pick on?

I would argue that bush gave John Stewart the stockpile of goodwill necessary to be bland "comfort television" during most of Obama's run.

Seriously I can't remember a single laugh out loud joke from that era, but I can remember plenty from Bush's. People just like Stewart now.

Balphon

I think he started off rough but has been getting better. He's in the difficult position of having to compete with everyone's idealized image of Stewart. Stewart had his flaws too, but he was on so long and hit such high highs everyone just sort of had to accept them at some point along the way.

h1nch

I'm not a fan of the current iteration of TDS. if it improves in the coming years I'll give it another chance, but for now, I'm out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom