• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Triad Wars Closed Beta Starts NOW! (Sleeping Dogs Online)

Compsiox

Banned
https://www.triadwars.com/
w8Gmabi.png

anyone else get a key?!

Is there an NDA on this beta or will it be radio silence from the participants? I'm hoping against hope they didn't make an awful Sleeping Dogs game and kill the franchise in the process, but the odds of that are none to none.

gblues

Banned
Is there an NDA on this beta or will it be radio silence from the participants? I'm hoping against hope they didn't make an awful Sleeping Dogs game and kill the franchise in the process, but the odds of that are none to none.

NDA'd.

The list of things you can't do is kinda funny. Includes the usual suspects, but some zingers:

- Cannot make S-E look bad
- Cannot proselytize for a religion
- Cannot forward, request to forward, or respond to request to forward chain mail
- Cannot advertise for a MLM or pyramid scheme

Compsiox

Banned
NDA'd.

The list of things you can't do is kinda funny. Includes the usual suspects, but some zingers:

- Cannot forward, request to forward, or respond to request to forward chain mail

Square Enix Exclusive Agreements

Some Nobody

Fuck off Square, make Sleeping Dogs 2. I even bought the stupid remaster--just make it happen. I want a current-gen Hong Kong, Tokyo, or even Seoul.

xzeldax3

NDA'd.

I thought that they said the NDA was lifted like a week ago?

Normally I'm pretty chilled out when talking about video games online but fuck you Square-Enix if I don't get a real sequel to Sleepy Dogs because of this shitheap I'm going to learn kung-fu and beat up Final Fantasy.

That felt good to type. I really liked the first one, much more than GTA5 even.

shandy706

Haha, at those NDA things. If a game is awful I'm going to tell people. I understand NDAs if there is spoilery stuff, but not if something is bad.

you know what - i like some of the suggestion on their forum but this game isn't that bad it just needs a few things and it'll be pretty solid. It's no original sleeping dogs yet but as barebones as it maybe currently i see some potential.

Fury451

Banned
Disappointing to hear such negative things, but unfortunately not surprising.

Sleeping Dogs is one of my favorite open world games, so I hope it can survive this and get an honest sequel that it deserves.

mcz117chief

The game is amazing. It has an insane amount of potential, really blew me away. I was expecting some kind of rip off but it is basically Sleeping Dogs with some extra features. I really dig this :)

mcz117chief

Seriously guys, the game is really not that bad. It is Sleeping Dogs with a few things removed (story, dating, police missions and a few others) and with some things added (your own turn, gang wars, stealing from other turfs...). I believe this game has great potential, it needs a bit more content since attacking turfs is pretty much the only thing to do.

Things I like:

every basic aspect of Sleeping Dogs is there: graphics, sounds, combat, city ("how would you like a pork bun!")

The turfs feel good: you see people working, chatting, etc. only downside is that they don't have too many lines so they pretty much keep saying the same things.

Expanding is quick, it only takes seconds. You don't have to wait hours or days to expand your turf, this is not Clash of Clans or something like that. You only need to get money which can take a while but you don't have to wait for the upgrades themselves.

Favour system, which are basically cards which can be collected from contacts around the city, given to you by your turf "officers" or bought with gold (rl money). These cards give you either permanent equipment (weapons, cars, "officers" maybe more, I haven't gotten anything else permanent from them) or special buffs (a good weapon for 24 hours, protection of your turf from player attacks, reduced damage in combat, etc.)

Things I don't like:

clothing and cars can only be bought with gold which can be either bought with real moneyz, using money laundering (which takes 24 hours and only gives you a little for a solid chunk of cash[10 at turf lvl 3, 15 at 4, don't know how quickly it grows after that]) or doing requests (it remains to be seen if the requests that give you gold actually appear outside of the tutorial)

There isn't much to do, you just attack turfs and steal the other player's money and goods. Or you can do side missions around the city...that is pretty much it. I am confident they will add stuff like racing, karaoke, turf wars, etc.

The lack of any actual online interaction. You can't meet other players in your game which I think has it's reasons but I would still like to play with or against real people.

All in all, it has a great potential. SE are near the starting line with Triad Wars so I am confident that they will turn it into a great game.

Keasar

So, how does it work? Is it open world? Is it a APB in Honk Kong and player controlled zones? Do you run into other players in the city? Are player zones inside the city or is it just instances?

Edit:
The lack of any actual online interaction. You can't meet other players in your game which I think has it's reasons but I would still like to play with or against real people.

Oh, so its a Clash of Clans thing where you attack other peoples turfs to take stuff and whatnot without actually interacting with that player.

Lame.

mcz117chief

Oh, so its a Clash of Clans thing where you attack other peoples turfs to take stuff and whatnot without actually interacting with that player.

Lame.

So far it does seem like that. But as I said the game is just starting up. They may add other features in the future. Give it a try a see for yourself.

At least you can pause the game whenever you want :D

MaLDo

Seriously guys, the game is really not that bad. It is Sleeping Dogs with a few things removed (story, dating, police missions and a few others) and with some things added (your own turn, gang wars, stealing from other turfs...). I believe this game has great potential, it needs a bit more content since attacking turfs is pretty much the only thing to do.

So they removed what did Sleeping Dogs a fun and great game. And added tuns. Good luck.

Favour system, which are basically cards which can be collected from contacts around the city, given to you by your turf "officers" or bought with gold (rl money). These cards give you either permanent equipment (weapons, cars, "officers" maybe more, I haven't gotten anything else permanent from them) or special buffs (a good weapon for 24 hours, protection of your turf from player attacks, reduced damage in combat, etc.)

Things I don't like:

clothing and cars can only be bought with gold which can be either bought with real moneyz, using money laundering (which takes 24 hours and only gives you a little for a solid chunk of cash[10 at turf lvl 3, 15 at 4, don't know how quickly it grows after that]) or doing requests (it remains to be seen if the requests that give you gold actually appear outside of the tutorial)

I'm OK with that I think if cosmetic purchases being skewed toward RMT currency means gameplay purchases like turf upgrades can be more skewed to game currency... Do you get that impression at all? RMT was rather expected but I'm less against general RMT but more pay-to-win. But if they try get more of their RMT revenue from things like clothes and cars, and you don't need RMT purchases to compete effectively in terms of gameplay, I can be OK with that.

Gvaz

Banned
A61E814F-68C3-48AE-831F-EC0E42433F11
CE871C00-EE9D-4D61-BAB9-50F54CADC378
031A9AAA-222C-469C-A00F-E481F860A9BD
3B7AC737-AB00-4881-913C-68D1103003F8
85EE544D-8F89-48E0-81F5-969A98BE4941

Just played it: Sleeping Dogs + Clash of Clans style formula. The OCD within me kicks in but my cynicism of this particular aspect overrides that primal emotion. I can tell that this game won't engage me for very long. Still, it's nice to see a beta invite through email.

This game is fun, but I say that as someone who loves the combat in Sleeping Dogs. I get to beat the shit out of a bunch of enemies and then a bunch of bars fill up. I'm cool with that.

They also made some small additions to the combat that are great.

ascully

I am off to bed so I will leave the last 3 keys I have here. Enjoy.

DE0B0909-A4CF-4590-B0FD-2599CE51D94A
BA23EE9F-FAE9-439F-8124-6F818E5CA61A
04DF8EF6-7A1D-4BBE-B02E-18EAB554D552

mcz117chief

quote me for beta keys ! 5 in total !

A31CDC19-7661-43DE-BF13-2A253A006E5A
AE367679-FC31-407F-BB10-7D0D1325D2B7
B7F49F5A-2B18-4185-BABF-10E885838F24
3303F314-B012-4D86-B856-2DBE655B106C
046168F0-266F-4FF0-9C11-B43609C4B2C0.

This is Clash of Clans with a Sleeping Dogs skin. The aesthetic and combat are Sleeping Dogs, but nothing else. The game is very bare right now and after about 4 hours with it its already feeling repetitive.

I honestly don't know what they could add to make this interesting.

Compsiox

Banned
If ur bored as fuck and can't afford a decent game here you go:

CLOSED BETA ACCESS KEYS:
1F7127F0-9A07-4DEA-9833-E8D19F098B5D
3415A8F8-0BA9-4B28-A7CB-2867CEE6C19D
555215A0-B59F-4A8D-BAAB-D880D69B6E3B
B7473E88-5AE3-4918-BA7B-2902635389F9
9714049F-8780-4140-B495-6D220F5B72F8

Top Bottom