• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials Fusion has a dev team of 210?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm not sure how else to interpret this.

Eurogamer said:
All in all, Fusion is a huge project, one which RedLynx's 110-strong team have been able to source manpower from another 100 extra Ubisoft staff to support: they've been put to task squashing bugs, powering up servers, and for comparing notes with on the early days of next-gen development. "We were still in the development of Trials Evolution and we saw where the game was heading," Virtala adds. "Even at that stage we had much bigger ambitions, but we saw it would require so many more developers and support in areas where we weren't experts."

It's allowed RedLynx itself to focus on the itself, a decision which seems to be paying off. The version of Fusion I played was pretty much feature complete, and only its online services weren't unavailable (although local multiplayer was just as competitive as ever). And RedLynx is still working. "Our future is defined so much by the perception of our games and nothing is important as the quality of how polished those games are," Virtala concludes. "These final moments - they're so important."

When Trials Fusion launches on 16th April it will be exactly two years since the launch of Trials Evolution, but it's clear that RedLynx plans Fusion's release to only be the game's beginning. I'm looking forward to seeing it completed, but I really can't wait to see what happens after.
Source: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...possibly-the-last-trials-game-youll-ever-need

Just going to repeat what I said elsewhere about this: even with the rank incompetence of Ubisoft's garbage software production pipeline, I don't understand how a game that's pretty much materially identical to one that took like 15 people to make now takes 210 people.

Daigoro

hm interesting. makes sense i guess. feels like a quick turnaround from Evo compared to how long it was between HD and Evo.

hope the quality doesnt suffer. this is the last series id like to see go down the tubes.

maybe because of the whole multiplat thing? no other good reason i can see really...

Just going to repeat what I said elsewhere about this: even with the rank incompetence of Ubisoft's garbage software production pipeline, I don't understand how a game that's pretty much materially identical to one that took like 15 people to make now takes 210 people.

it is odd. more people working on the project making folks more wary of the quality of the game.

dont fuck this franchise up Ubi.

fuck. :(

Some Nobody

To put that in perspective, Sucker Punch has 80 people and RAD has 110.

Quoting this because it deserves to be mentioned again. Sucker Punch is developing the first next-gen open world game while RAD is developing one of the best-looking console games we currently know of.

Both of which are managing to come in at well under 150 people for their teams. In fact, to put this further into perspective, put together they don't come to this size.

Chances are that is a pretty big testing team, they might even have a separate testing team for the different platforms at Ubi. I know they used to do it that way for Driver.

Then you will have other minor roles. It's not like that is 110 programmers and artists. More than likely throwing people at it to get it out of the door quicker as getting in early on next gen will probably equal more sales for it over the life cycle, then reassign people to other projects.

How many people made Doom? I realize this is comparing apples to oranges. I just really love the days of oranges.

*edit*

It looks like 12 people made Doom!

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Well that explains the $40 season pass + game retail bundle I saw earlier today.

Micro transactions confirmed?
Yup!

JitNNp8.png

I guess it could just be from them launching simultaneously on four different platforms. The previous Trials games were released on one platform before being ported elsewhere.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Well they have gone from one platform to... a few platforms but it's still a massive number of people compared to the last two games.

Loudninja

I guess it could just be from them launching simultaneously on four different platforms. The previous Trials games were released on one platform before being ported elsewhere.
True and this is their first disc release correct?

That still is quite a lot though.

georly

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't ubisoft list the entire staff for a department in the credits, even if a chunk of the people in that department literally had nothing to do with the game? It's like they like bloating the credits screen to give as many people credit as possible, even when it's not directly attributed to them. I could be wrong though.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't ubisoft list the entire staff for a department in the credits, even if a chunk of the people in that department literally had nothing to do with the game? It's like they like bloating the credits screen to give as many people credit as possible, even when it's not directly attributed to them. I could be wrong though.
I don't think that's how they would report team size to Eurogamer however.

Tripon

I was looking to buy Trials since it was coming to PS4. But a season pass, for this game? Nope.

Edit: The season pass is part of the retail package? I'll just wait for that sucker to drop to $20 then.

watership

This. They would make one game at a time, and took almost a year to bring Evolution to Windows. If Ubi has fucked up this game, I'll be pretty pissed. Evolution was one of the best XBLA games ever.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It sounds like the other 100 are there for support as needed rather than being full time devs. It's probably a smart idea to use Ubi's available resources rather than trying to go at it alone.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Still really difficult to understand what those people could possibly be doing with their time though.
Common game development tasks that require or benefit from specialized knowledge. Q&A, networking, art asset creation, fixing bugs, optimization, console certification, configuration management, whatever. A big company like Ubi is going to be looking for ways to keep their staff busy and leverage their experience across different projects, and RedLynx would be able to avoid crunch time.

It's pretty common in the industry to merc out experts to get things done quicker.

Moosehole

Well this is why they raised the price and are selling a season pass. This is also why no matter how many copies of this game are sold it will be considered a failure.

This shit right here is EXACTLY why the game industry is in turmoil. This is why studios close left and right. And it's their own damn doing. It blows my mind that publishers don't understand they are killing themselves.

lt519

I mean some quick math here?

210 employees
like what 50-60k average salary?
typical 1.25 multiplier per employee for taxes & benefits
at 50k salary a person with 210 employees is a burn rate of 1.1m a month.

So are they spending 2+ million in just the two months before release? Hope this game sells well..

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I mean some quick math here?

210 employees
like what 50-60k average salary?
typical 1.25 multiplier per employee for taxes & benefits
at 50k salary a person with 210 employees is a burn rate of 1.1m a month.

So are they spending 2+ million in just the two months before release? Hope this game sells well..
Seems like a pretty high average salary.

Plus I doubt the workforce is entirely dedicated, probably includes a bunch of uPlay shit that is grouped in.

Slavik81

100 people digging holes.
100 people filling in holes.
10 people meaningfully working.

Top Bottom