• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials of Mana ‘Charlotte and Kevin’ character spotlight trailer

Mista

Banned

Square Enix has released the second in a series of three trailers spotlighting the main characters of Trials of Mana. This one focuses on Kevin, heir to the throne of the Beast Kingdom of Ferolia, and Charlotte, granddaughter to Wendel’s Priest of Light.

Here is an overview of the two characters and how they are linked, via Square Enix:
As the trailer explains, Kevin is the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Ferolia. His land is home to the Beastmen—humanoid warriors who adopt a bestial form when night falls. Kevin’s a little different to his countrymen though—his mother was a human.

His father has raised and trained him for battle, and Kevin is a formidable warrior indeed. That said, he’s rarely had an opportunity to talk to humans, and his… let’s say lacking social skills mean it can be hard for people to understand him at times.

Charlotte may seem precocious and immature, but there’s more to her than meets the eye. She’s the granddaughter of Wendel’s Priest of Light, and the elfin blood in her veins makes her appear much younger than her actual age.

It’s possibly because of her appearance that the people of the temple have coddled her—she’s somewhat naive and spoiled. And while she’s superstitious and something of a scaredy-cat, she’s also insatiably curious.

Although they’re both very different characters from very different worlds, Kevin and Charlotte are linked by a common enemy: the sinister Goremand.

The evil jester takes friends away from both heroes, and uses his influence on Kevin’s father to instigate an invasion of Wendel. His malicious actions propel the heroes into a truly epic adventure.

…unless it doesn’t, of course. One of the coolest features of Trials of Mana is that it lets you choose three characters (from a choice of six) to play as, and the story will play out differently depending on your picks.

So while Kevin and Charlotte may team up in one player’s game, in another they may work with completely different allies instead… or even not go on the adventure at all. It’s all up to you.
Gematsu

Last edited:
absolutely loving what i'm seeing but there is something seriously wrong with the voice acting.

Last edited:

Doom85

Wow that little girl voice is annoying as heck, what a shame

Funny enough it seems they did it that way because that's how the character sounded in Japanese in the reveal trailer last year. I was hoping the dub team would tone it down but sadly that doesn't seem to be the case.

She was the only character I heard in the Japanese trailer so I don't know if she was the sole standout in an otherwise good cast or if it was all awkward like the dub seems to be.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You think that's bad, imagine having to read it in the Trials of Mana (SNES) release on Switch.

trialsofmana3_thumb.jpg

Last edited:

Jooxed

Gold Member
You think that's bad, imagine having to read it in the Trials of Mana (SNES) release on Switch.

trialsofmana3_thumb.jpg

Lol I bought collection of Mana for the Secret of Mana Nostalgia factor currently working my way through Final Fantasy Adventure (oof) debating whether to play this version or wait for Trials of Mana remake.

Trogdor1123

The voice acting is awful... But that looks fun.

I hadn't heard of this game before. Can anyone tell me about it? Is it related to secret of Mana directly?

Trojita

Lol I bought collection of Mana for the Secret of Mana Nostalgia factor currently working my way through Final Fantasy Adventure (oof) debating whether to play this version or wait for Trials of Mana remake.
It's a good game, and quite legendary for it's allure as something that never released in the west and the visuals it was pushing on the snes.

The game has some serious issues though. I don't know if it was a programming/mathematics mistake but critical hits are notoriously pretty much non-existent in the game. It's almost as though a programmer put in the wrong number to calculate critical hits and it was never noticed or they didn't have time to fix it. Most of the stats in the game are also fairly useless. You'd think Hawk would benefit most from a Dex and Luck build, but those stats barely do shit. Dex is supposed to boost evasion, that doesn't work. Dex's only use is because some of Hawk's abilities require a certain level to learn some of his abilities and he gets a minor boost to the attack power for some. Luck should affect crit rates, but because of the earlier issue I mentioned the crit rate is bizarelly like a .00001 chance no matter what. Do you remember in Secret of Mana those satisfying hits that made a louder noise (THWACK) and the bigger numbers? They are pretty much non-existant. The only thing Luck does is reduce the amount of traps in a boobytrapped chest and possibly have a better item in them.

Trojita

The voice acting is awful... But that looks fun.

I hadn't heard of this game before. Can anyone tell me about it? Is it related to secret of Mana directly?
This is a remake of the next game after Secret of Mana, Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu III) that was released on the SNES but never made it out of Japan (until this past year when it was released in the Collection of Mana for Switch). Secret of Mana was Seiken Densetsu II and the gameboy title named Final Fantasy Adventure in the west was Seiken Densetsu I.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

This is a remake of the next game after Secret of Mana, Trials of Mana (Seiken Densetsu III) that was released on the SNES but never made it out of Japan (until this past year when it was released in the Collection of Mana for Switch). Secret of Mana was Seiken Densetsu II and the gameboy title named Final Fantasy Adventure in the west was Seiken Densetsu I.
Oh that's great. I'll grab it for sure... If I can turn the voices off for text.

Trojita

Oh that's great. I'll grab it for sure... If I can turn the voices off for text.
The good thing is that you have six characters to choose from at the beginning of each new game. One who is your "main character" and two supporting characters. Each character has a different prologue at the beginning. The game let's you mix and match characters and then adds on the class promotion's which means each character has 4 final builds that are all somewhat different. You never have to choose Charlotte, and if you don't choose her she is only in the game for a very small amount of time.

TBH reading the text of her speaking is worse than hearing it.

You awe no simpwe adventuwa.

Rat Rage

Strange... I haven't followed the trailers that's been released for Trials of Mana during the last couple of month that much and didn't even know they released character spotlight trailers for the game.

Honestly, most of the time I am veeery skeptical about remakes to say the least, and most of the time I absolutely hate them (like some sort of a Videogame-remake-grinch), but somehow with this spotlight trailer... the game looks... really good to me?

I can't believe I actually like the voice acting, as well as the overall character design. There is something very charming in both of them to me. The overall graphics look better than expected, too... I... might even start to get a little bit excited for this game... (I hope gameplay turns out fun....)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member

I'm not in love with all the english voices so far. The lip syncing and lack of animations also bother me a little.

I hope Square releases the game with dual audio.

Also the trailer is kinda spoilery.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom