• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trials of Mana launches April 24, 2020

Mista

Banned

Trials of Mana will launch for PlayStation 4, Switch, and PC via Steam on April 24, 2020, Square Enix announced.

Pre-orders will include the “Rabite Adornment” downloadable content. PlayStation Store pre-orders will also include a PlayStation Network avatar set featuring Duran, Angela, Kevin, Charlotte, Hawkeye, and Riesz.

Here is an overview of the game, via PlayStation.com:
About

When the world was shrouded in darkness, the Goddess of Mana drew forth the Sword of Mana to smite the eight Benevodons, monsters of destruction. She sealed the horrors inside the eight Mana Stones, bringing the realm back from the brink. Weakened from rebuilding the world, the Goddess changed herself into a tree and fell into a deep sleep for many years.

However, the forces of evil soon sought to free the Benevodons to gain control of the world. They started a terrible war to further their plot and destabilize the kingdoms. Peace was at an end. Mana itself began to disappear from the world and the Mana Tree started to wither…

Key Features

• Trials of Mana is a full high-definition remake of the third entry in the Mana series, previously released in Japan in 1995 as Seiken Densetsu 3. Trials of Mana tells the story of six heroes in their battle to defeat monsters of destruction trying to take over the world whilst the power of Mana has been weakened.
  • Players can choose between six main characters and supporting allies, the story will play out in different ways depending on the combination of the main character and allies in the party.
Gematsu

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Looking forward to this game but is there a disc version or is it just digital only?

Vawn

Banned
I still prefer the look of the original. I wish they would have kept that pixel art, but maybe in a more 32-bit style.

Last edited:

Teslerum

I still prefer the look of the original. I wish they would have kept that pixel art, but maybe in a more 32-bit style.

Pixel Art is only half of its charm, the animations are another. Both are lacking though.
I do appreaciate the remake. Both look good.

Shifty

Oh damn, PC as well? This is going to be so sick! Seiken Densetsu 3 was a real hidden gem.

If memory serves I mained the Valkyrie when I played it in co-op back in the day. Which character to choose this time...

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Can’t wait to platinum it.

I wonder if they’re going to remake Legend of Mana or even better, Dawn of Mana.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I didn't think the Secret of Mana remake was great, and was kind of disappointed by Trials of Mana when I played it on the compilation last year, so.... probably going to pass on this.

ethomaz

Banned
Kind of unsure about this one. Never played a Mana game before.
The second game called Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) is a masterpiece... it got a remake last year not good as original.
This one is the 3rd Mana game (Seiken Densetsu 3) that improves basically everything in the previous formula but I do believe it lacks charisma and story to be on pair with Secret of Mana.

It is really a solid action game.

But well if it is a remake like Secret of Mana remake maybe it is not as good as original.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Hopefully they keep the music intact, with remasters, It had some of the most memorable boss themes ever, especially against the God beasts(benevodons)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Wow. It is one of the best game of the 16 bit era. What was disappointing ?

Just felt kinda meandering and pointless after a while. And super repetitive towards the end. The game also stuttered quite a bit on the Switch, which was annoying, too. Though, that's kind of a separate issue.

Fuz

Banned
Uhm, correct me if I'm wrong. This is supposed to be a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake?

Because if so, it looks like shit stylistically when compared to the original.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Hope this won't run in 240p on Switch...

It ran fine on Switch when they showed it at E3 Treehouse last year, only issue loading times back then seemed long. Hope they fixed that.

Besides, i wouldn't be surprised if this remake was made with the Switch in mind first and foremost (considering how it was first revealed there and not at the Square event)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
Uhm, correct me if I'm wrong. This is supposed to be a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake?

Because if so, it looks like shit stylistically when compared to the original.

Not as bad as SD2 remake, that was the worst.

Still considering it's the same team, i'm going in a little cautious: personally i like this DQ XI-like style, but don't love the voice acting i've heard so far.

Not as bad as SD2 remake, that was the worst.

Still considering it's the same team, i'm going in a little cautious: personally i like this DQ XI-like style, but don't love the voice acting i've heard so far.

From what I have heard, they want to appeal more to the "overseas audience this time", by giving it their best shot. So far it looks like the game is going to live up to their promise and my expectations.

Belmonte

I'm almost finishing Seiken Densetsu 2 and now I don't know which verion I should play after!

Usually I prefer to play the original but I'm in the mood for 3D party based action RPGs. I miss Dragon's Dogma.

I hope there is the option to disable some of the UI elements. It is too busy for my taste.

EDIT:

Did you guys saw this trailer? Seems really good, even better than I thought:

Last edited:

Marchiott

I'm almost finishing Seiken Densetsu 2 and now I don't know which verion I should play after!

Usually I prefer to play the original but I'm in the mood for 3D party based action RPGs. I miss Dragon's Dogma.

I hope there is the option to disable some of the UI elements. It is too busy for my taste.

EDIT:

Did you guys saw this trailer? Seems really good, even better than I thought:

Wow, it looks like they’ve managed to capture the spirit of the original quite well. :messenger_open_mouth:

Mista

Banned

The Switch version loads slightly faster, while the PS4 version looks slightly better @ a higher frame rate (60fps).

Whatever your preference is, or platform(s) you own, I think we can all agree that it will be a solid remake of a cult classic on both systems.

After watching this I'll get it on PS4. It smoother than the Switch version and thats enough for me

Aranea

I pre ordered the game this week on digital format. Never played the original but i did play Secrets of Mana (the original) some years ago. Hopefully i enjoy this game as the art direction looks pretty.

sublimit

Banned
I was thinking getting it after i finish with FFVII Remake (i'm halfway through it) but its price is a bit too much for the game's relatively low production values so i think i'll wait until i can get it for around 30€ . I really liked the demo though.

I recently learned that my Japanese fiance spent 5 years steadily beating the original Legend of Mana game on her PS 1 while she was in school... She keeps revealing awesome things from her pre-me life lol and now she's added "cute techy Japanese gamer chick" to the list :p unreal~ when she was beating Legend of Mana i was missing the chain attack in Road Rash and losing goldeneye matches at after school care looollll

Top Bottom