• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes Ascend Beta Thread: Shazbot!

derFeef

Having palyed a few rounds - the gameplay is certainly Tribes!
The XP gain seems incredible slow, even in the beginning though, hopefully they tweak this aspects. And oh man is this interface clunky and ugly.

Emitan

Are those class unlock costs for real? Spent $10 to get enough gold to unlock the Pathfinder, but now I just have leftover gold sitting around and like 500 tokens when I need 15,000. Damn. I'll probably spent a lot more money on this game when I'm working again so it won't matter too much, but that grind is a bit ridiculous.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Why not buy the VIP pass?

It comes with 3k gold, on top of other benefits.

Emitan

Halycon said:
Why not buy the VIP pass?

It comes with 3k gold, on top of other benefits.
Because I'm poor right now. The Old Republic and Torchlight 2 are my last purchases until at least January.

KiKaL

Wow, gave in and love thisi game. It feels like Tribes. Is there any reason not to spend my gold on classes?

Grayman

I registered today. If I wait around do I have a good chance of getting in soon or am I better off buying the thirty dollar pack? I am assuming it gives me immediate access.

I would rather get in for free and spend the five bucks or whatever before release to get the vip thing.

mrgone

Are they still sending out invites? I'm still not entirely convinced this game's going to do much more than twist the knife in the hearts of old Tribes fans, but at least it's a shiny, shiny knife. :)

Whether it twists the knife is entirely dependent on how much of a dyed-in-the-wool tribes 1 or 2 purist you are. I played T1-2-V, 1 and 2 quite a lot (but not competitively) and while I won't deny there's some aspects from the originals I'd like in T:A, I'm still enjoying it much more than any FPS released in several years. Seeeeeveral years.

Fireye

I just sat down and played for 6 hours. I didn't mean to, I only meant to play for an hour. This harkens back to staying up until 4am playing tribes before going to HS the next day at 7am. MIGHT BE VERY VERY BAD FOR GETTING TO WORK ON TIME.

Yo Gotti

Banned
Haven't played the game myself yet, but from all the vids I've seen it looks like it's pretty true to Tribes fundamentals. I love the art direction too, so bright and colorful.

Biggest problem that's apparent from watching is the fact that you spawn with all your gear, making equip stations much less useful, and taking a bit of the defensive element out of the game.

The mortar looks noticeably less useful too.

Emitan

One thing that bothers me is that because it's so hard to unlock classes, you end up fighting the same 2 classes over and over and over. Teams with a player who can lay down turrets have a huge advantage. As do teams with a Pathfinder for flag capping or chasing. I've killed quite a few flag carriers simply because my class is much faster than theirs.

mrgone

Teknopathetic said:
Whether it twists the knife is entirely dependent on how much of a dyed-in-the-wool tribes 1 or 2 purist you are. I played T1-2-V, 1 and 2 quite a lot (but not competitively) and while I won't deny there's some aspects from the originals I'd like in T:A, I'm still enjoying it much more than any FPS released in several years. Seeeeeveral years.
I'm hoping I end up feeling the same, that the joy of playing something closer to the Tribes know and love will outweigh whatever issues I have with some of their design decisions.

rexor0717

This game is great. I love combat while skiing. Even though Tribes has been around forever, this kind of game play is very refreshing.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Is anyone else having problems logging in?

It says the servers are up, but it won't let me connect to anything.

Goddamnit. I've waited a lifetime for this bloody game.

Haly

You know what this game is missing?

Girls.

I want to be a kawaii space marine.

Game is amazing. Everything about it is amazing.

Saw Billychu and Evilore and I think mrgone while playing tonight(<--PunkyBruster). Good games gentlemen!

Seriously though, this game.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Lead Based Paint said:

Saw Billychu and Evilore and I think mrgone while playing tonight(<--PunkyBruster). Good games gentlemen!

You may have seen me rocket by your flag at 225 speed...and not be able to air control enough to actually pick it up...over and over...haha. Practicing my Pathfinder techniques.

mrgone

Lead Based Paint said:

Someone's knicked my nick, wot wot

Emitan

I really need a new keyboard. Switching from moving at 180+ to 30 because your space bar stopped registering for a moment? While carrying the flag? Not fun.

I've gotten way more kills with the light shotgun (or whatever the Pathfinder has) than I thought I would be. It's not strong, but gets the job done.

Billychu said:
I really need a new keyboard. Switching from moving at 180+ to 30 because your space bar stopped registering for a moment? While carrying the flag? Not fun.

I've gotten way more kills with the light shotgun (or whatever the Pathfinder has) than I thought I would be. It's not strong, but gets the job done.

Yeah it's great to have when you need to shoot at people above you or before they hit the ground.

Best secondary weapon though imo is the thumper DX; too bad I hate playing the Ranger lol.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Billychu said:
I really need a new keyboard. Switching from moving at 180+ to 30 because your space bar stopped registering for a moment? While carrying the flag? Not fun

There is a binding for toggling skiing on/off. Very useful.

jambo

Played a couple of hours tonight, holy fucking shit. It's fucking Tribes. In 2011. Swoon.

Skiing and just zipping around the map is so good. I miss this kinda speed in modern online shooters.

I'm mainly concentrating on Pathfinder, Soldier and Technician.

Billychu said:
Can't find jambowned
or tenckaichi

Try jambo

Talafas

Neo Member
Finally played a few rounds of the beta. Oh yeah tribes is back! As a tribes2 vet, skiing those slopes and shooting my trusty spinfusor really warms my heart.

In order to support Hi-Rez I picked up that VIP starter package and am now thinking about unlocking some classes. As I understand it, the pathfinder is the capper of choice, so i will go with this one first. The Juggernaut is also looking pretty tempting as i would love to do some base trashing with his fusion mortar...

Fireye

Halycon said:
You know what this game is missing?

Girls.

I want to be a kawaii space marine.

Seconded. This game _IS_ missing model choices and voice choices. Unless they're hidden somewhere I haven't found.

(Wouldn't be kawaii space marine, but it'd have the physique of a ladymarine at least.)

Is there any way to play the game without using the shitty Hi-Rez client? Tribes always shows up as "Busy" even though I've installed the game already. Every time I boot the client up, it says it's downloading the beta, which makes no sense at all.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I don't want to get sucked in to another multiplayer FPS at the moment :(

Loving the videos I check now and then. Been a long time since a game like Tribes hit.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Just put in a good 3-4 hours of this with some friends I convinced to purchase into the beta.

This game is a lot of fun. This thread needs more love.

Haly

Is there any way to play the game without using the shitty Hi-Rez client? Tribes always shows up as "Busy" even though I've installed the game already. Every time I boot the client up, it says it's downloading the beta, which makes no sense at all.
I got that problem a lot as well. What I did was reinstall it, making sure to delete the "tribes alpha" folder. Had to do it 4-5 times. Also, I think it's best if you do not do anything else while Tribes is installing, otherwise the decompressing will fail somewhere (or you won't even be able to the progression bar) and you'll have to do it all over again.

"Just put in a good 3-4 hours of this with some friends I convinced to purchase into the beta.

This game is a lot of fun. This thread needs more love."

The game is still in a closed beta and you can't convince toooo many people to drop 30$ to get in, yet. Judging by the overall positive tone of this thread, I'd be surprised (and miffed) if this game didn't get quite a bit more traffic once it's in open beta/release.

Haly

I think the only F2P games that really took off on NeoGAF are Vindictus and LoL.

Then again Tribes is a very different game from your typical F2P fare.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I did my part! Two people paid for it. :D

Has everyone found the class of choice for them? I've been doing a lot of Jumper and raider. I still need to play with the heavies, and that jammer class one seems interesting. I tried the Sentinel once and got a 14 kill spree on him. Sniping takes effort again in a FPS. Finally.

Also I suck with the machineguns in this game for some reason =(

Liberty4all

Banned
The game has potential ...

With that said, the lack of customizable loadouts, the likelyhood that there will be no mods, the 2 guns per loadout cap, lack of destructible inventory stations (combined with spawning in full loadout) ... these things are hard to swallow.

It's like they took everything right about Tribes 1 and Tribes 2 but removed some features instead of adding on.

They got dueling, skiing and capping right which are core gameplay components of Tribes.

I think this is why you are seeing alot of love in this thread ... it's been so damn long since we've had an honest to god Tribes game alot of us are willing to overlook the unfortunate parts of what FTP loadouts actually means in terms of more in depth gameplay mechanics.

Don't get me wrong ... I've gone all in (spent 50 bucks, unlocked everything except one loadout) ... game is far better than the Tribes:V abomination, and there is ALOT of potential for Tribes Ascend to be it's own "thing" ... it really depends though how the devs handle the community features (modding for example), as well as allowing for the development of more in depth gameplay (through new loadouts for example).

For now though, I'm just happy to have at least part of of the core of what made Tribes great back again. The rest will hopefully come over the course of the beta.

Top Bottom