• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trillion: God of Destruction |OT| Vita means Death

bannerengiyrr2.jpg

OK7eTTC.png

2R4Tj9u.jpg

8hJzkC9.png

11coqYM.jpg

O87ISvw.png

heading03b9bshj.jpg

GDntyOt.png

heading04bfes4h.jpg

r08Gfyv.png

FlrMLtK.png

Metacritic said:

ZTGD said:
90 - Trillion: God of Destruction is a game with a unique concept, expertly executed with clever mechanics and solid writing.

Digitally Downloaded said:
90 - For my part I really appreciate what Idea Factory has achieved with this game, and, while the theme is quite dark, it’s presented in that same bright and cheerful, satirical space that we’re so used to with this developer/publisher that it’s charming and irreverent.

Brash Games said:
80 - I hold Trillion in high regard. From the art to the music to the characters to gameplay, I enjoyed my time with it.

High-Def Digest said:
80 - While it can sometimes be alienating in how out there many of its ideas seem (considering the game is technically one big bossfight, it'd have to be), 'Trillion: God of Destruction' is an outstandingly original game that I can't wait to check out again.

The Vita Lounge said:
78 - Trillion is not a game that will be to everyones tastes, it is unique and fun to play, but many players may find that it's trying to hard to be too different and therefore complicates itself, but if you're looking for a JRPG or SRPG with a unique spin then Trillion is definitely worth a look.

Worth Playing said:
75 - Trillion: God of Destruction has a boatloads of flaws but still manages to be fun.

Hardcore Gamer said:
70 - After making a terrible first impression, Trillion: God of Destruction manages to be a unique experience.

RPG Fan said:
70 - The simulation and visual novel elements are great, but the RPG elements are not.

GamingTrend said:
65 - Trillion: God of Destruction has wonderful characterization and compelling moments, but gets bogged down in a series of unintuitive design decisions and a lack of engaging main story content.

RPG Site said:
60 - While Trillion: God of Destruction does an exceptional job in setting up its premise and having you care about the plight of its characters, the gameplay and combat mechanics left me feeling disappointed.

PlayStation LifeStyle said:
40 - Trillion: God of Destruction is a bold experiment by Compile Heart, but unfortunately, it’s one that doesn’t work all that well.

Destructoid said:
30 - Trillion: God of Destruction isn't a game, it's a job; and not a very good one.
Famitsu (JP Version) said:
PSV 7/23 Makai Shin Trillion [9/8/8/9]

• Clear time is 25 hours. Clear time for all characters is 80+ hours.
  • Watching the heroines that you've raised die one after another draws you in
  • Dying skills are dramatic and awesome
  • Game is difficult, but fair
  • Simultaneous turns are like complex puzzles that keep you on the edge
  • Love and battle portions are streamlined well
  • Would have liked to have seen a better UI and more commands
  • Very decent romance story, balance with the gameplay is superb

Dengeki (JP Version) said:
Raising your girls causes you to get attached to them. They're all so cute! All of them are best girl!
I cried when Mammon died. Trying to kill Trillion without letting a girl die is despair.
It's a fun game, and I'm sorry, but I have to take off points for it making me feel too sad. Ahhh, Levia died too...
85/100

The Battle phase plays like a roguelike. You have to predict how Trillion will move in order to avoid his attacks. Mistakes are heavily punished.
It's basically impossible to avoid having your girls die.
I easily recommend this game if you like raising simulations.
80/100

I was indifferent to the characters at first, but the more I got to know them....
Raising mode is selecting commands to raise your girls' stats and abilities. You're motivated to train because you know that their lives literally depend on it.
I really hesitated when deciding who would die. It's proof of how much I was invested in the characters.
90/100

http://game.girldoll.org/ (JP Version) said:

xcwpmuS.png

The official Compile Heart website and Idea Factory International website for providing virtually all of the images/videos used in this thread.

---

Spoilers scare the shit out of me so I haven't searched around fully to double-check that everything in the OP is 100% accurate. Apologies for any errors. Check the official website if you want more in-depth info about the game's mechanics.

Also if anyone spots a review for the western version then kindly post it here, since I don't follow any gaming websites myself.

Corpekata

Banned
Received a review copy. Not finished yet, but I am surprised (and disappointed) by how bog standard and earnest the game is. You'd think a game set in hell where you're commanding emobidements of the seven deadly sins to die on your behalf would have a bit of a mean streak, but not really. It's basically every other management VN type game. The lead is a swell guy that most of the cast adores, most of the girls are relatively normal and kinda bland.

This might be because the game forces you into a few specific ones early on rather than the whole cast. Like the blue haired girl, I can't tell you a thing about her character beyond maybe...she's stoic?

I dunno, I feel like it kinda wastes the hell setting beyond some fun art.

The battle stuff also isn't particularly interesting yet.

Lain

Went to amazon.it to put a preorder in, game is nowhere to be found. I guess I'll wait a while.

Vita truly means death.

Stalk

Genuinely interested in the concept behind this but unsure if I can afford to pick it up right now. Will be looking into it in the future though. Not expecting something stellar though.

Zhao_Yun

Great OT!
Have the game preordered since I saw it for a good price. Haven't seen too much footage yet, but the things I saw looked interesting.

Uthred

Game looks fun, but feeling a little gunshy about buying VITA Rpg's, they seem to end up on Steam before I get around to playing them.

Par for the course considering half the development team is ex-Disgaea staff IIRC

UCBooties

I did manage to get the CE pre-ordered from Iffy but the order is still "awaiting fulfillment." I've never bought anything from them before so I don't know how on top of shipping they are. I feel like last time I checked the order status it said it was pending shipping for today's date but now I don't see anything like that. I guess it will get here when it gets here. *shrug*

Definitely looking forward to it though, this has been one of my most anticipated games since the JP release last year.

SerTapTap

I went and did a First Impressions Review on my site, I'm 25% of the way through Trillion's health, one or two more overlords tops I hope.

I didn't think I'd like the permadeath aspect, and it really does hurt, but the writing is pretty decent (though you're a bit limited in your choices since you can only use 3 specific overlords for the first 3 chapters). The grimness tends to make you want to finish off Trillion so I guess it works.

The battle stuff also isn't particularly interesting yet.

I find the characters and designs fun, it seems to be that sort of Disgaea sort of Netherworld that's more about a rejection of god than actually being "evil". Characters seem written decently enough IMO considering I deliberately picked my least favorite character to start with but was still feeling pretty bad when her number was up.

Destructoid really went in on this, 3/10

It's going to depend a lot on whether you like/care about the writing and can stand a VN/raising sim game. I do really like the trillion fight for how it makes you dance around the grid, but only the trillin fights are actually hard and you don't get them very often so it's more raising sim/VN than anything else and lots of people hate that.

Have to split time between this and Nights of Azure.

And I'll be honest, when it comes to budget or not popular franchise releases for RPGs in the West I generally bell curve reviews for them. If some people give it a 6 or 7 it must be pretty good. A 3 means it's kinda mediocre.

HGH

Banned
It's going to depend a lot on whether you like/care about the writing and can stand a VN/raising sim game. I do really like the trillion fight for how it makes you dance around the grid, but only the trillin fights are actually hard and you don't get them very often so it's more raising sim/VN than anything else and lots of people hate that.
Thing is it seems the writing/characters are pretty well praised so far. It's not what I expected from CH myself either, they really brought out their typewriters for this one.
And I 100% agree about the Trillion fights, they constantly keep you on your toes so far, especially since 1 misstep means death. It's actually pretty interesting compared to the weaker roguelike portion.
Which is why I'm confused that review seems so harsh on the combat gameplay. I guess they're really dislike simulation games to boot.

HGH

Banned
So here's an interesting tidbit I just reached. Bit of a gameplay/plot spoiler. But the marketing/tutorials lied about something, and that's the fact
you don't actually game over if all six overlords die. Noooo, they actually drag out Zeabolos sick little sister as the seventh player character. I'm almost certain they're gonna kill her off even worse than the others if I lose.

HGH

Banned
Sorry Battleship, didn't mean to tease you. If it's any consolation it's a positive thing that's probably better off not being in the OP and discovered yourself.

As for shipping, IFI usually ships on release day, which sadly means 2/3 days for packages to arrive after the release.

Feeling that two weeks left pain. Don't want Levia to die even though I didn't care for her to begin with.
It's weird getting noticeably stronger but knowing for a fact I'm going to lose characters permanently because what I'm going to face is too damn strong still.

Have to split time between this and Nights of Azure.

And I'll be honest, when it comes to budget or not popular franchise releases for RPGs in the West I generally bell curve reviews for them. If some people give it a 6 or 7 it must be pretty good. A 3 means it's kinda mediocre.

I've found that as a rule of thumb you can add 20% (of the maximum) to the score for niche / genre games on mainstream sites if you know you're a fan of the niche / genre.

Seems to be getting a bit less true for some of the "bigger" niche titles though in that the scoring is more reflective to start with (SMT / Persona, Disgaea and Bravely all seem to have gotten solidly reflective initial scores).

Question for the importers or anyone who's making good progress with this - When can you choose from the other 3 sins? Is it after a certain number of weeks have passed, or do you have to get some/all of the initial trio killed?

IIRC I read somewhere that on an NG+ you can pick any of the 6 from the start.

As for shipping, IFI usually ships on release day, which sadly means 2/3 days for packages to arrive after the release.
Bleh. Guess I'll use the time to start writing Perpell and Mammon's obituaries.

HGH

Banned
Sadly, and this is an element I didn't really appreciate, you get the choice between the first three. Then, when those die, you're forced to use the next three in a specific order dictated by the plot.

Sadly, and this is an element I didn't really appreciate, you get the choice between the first three. Then, when those die, you're forced to use the next three in a specific order dictated by the plot.

Is it possible to beat Trillion on a NG, not NG+ without burning through all three initial girls? Or even having a no-death run?

I haven't fought it for real yet (on my last week with Levia) but it seems sort of doable as long as you manage to break some armor or do significant damage without retreating each time, yeah?

Meh, that's slightly disappointing, but it's not a major issue. I'm assuming the order's based on this:

If so then that means
Fegor's last
, which I'm fine with.

FireCloud

Picked up the only copy my local Gamestop got in yesterday when I went to put in my pre-order for the PSVR core unit. Don't really know much about it but the OP has piqued my interest.

BTA

Picked it up, though not sure when I'll be able to get to it since there's still so much on my plate. More than anything else, I'm interested in seeing how it mechanically tries to get you invested in the characters, since I think that's interesting. I guess I'm playing more to see how well that works than actually expecting something good overall, since I expect some of romance stuff will be a lot more cliche than I'd like (even as someone who likes romance and VNs)? I'm open to being pleasantly surprised, though.

AwShucks

Well those reviews are all over the place. I'm interested because it's the Disgaea 4 director and that was my favorite Disgaea. And ZHP is one of my favorite NIS games. But now I'm very hesitant. I know the gameplay isn't at all the same but was hoping for a good game at least.

HGH

Banned
The game has a long intro, which might make a bad impression, so you're gonna have to stick with it a few hours if you want to find out whether it's for you or not.
I've been noticing for a while that Amazon.it is really bad for IFI games for some reason.
Oh right, I think IFI mentioned this in an interview somewhere, but their European stocking and distribution is handled by Ghostlight. It's why the European IFI store stocks regular copies of games but the US one doesn't.

I've played through about 8 cycles so far and I'm mildly enjoying it, though some of the mechanics being ambiguous (which is, admittedly, a great fit for the roguelike) does make me wonder how much control the player *really* has over whether you win in the end or not.

I was surprised at how little is actually carried forward between overlords, for example, it can feel a bit demotivating compared to something like Oreshika 2 which gives you a lot more to play with between generations. But at the same time it means a fresh start every generation - things aren't necessarily set in stone.

Still, the unpredictability is making me curious enough to play on (important in a game where stat bonuses, points and RPG elements would be enough to make the uncompelling compelling), and I think once you've been through a few overlords you'll have a greater feel for what you're meant to be doing when it comes to big decisions like whether to retreat or not, or which ultimate move to pick. There's a lot more I want to say but I'll probably leave it until I've played more.

Though it is weird playing a game that bears the pawprints of Disgaea's design, on Compile Heart's engine. Lack of texture filtering and low framerate feel at odds with how you expect it to feel.

---

As for the questions about Japanese voices, they are in, though you can't change to them until you get to the first battle scene.

Prelude.

Oh right, I think IFI mentioned this in an interview somewhere, but their European stocking and distribution is handled by Ghostlight. It's why the European IFI store stocks regular copies of games but the US one doesn't.
So I guess Ghostlight has some issues with the italian distibution because fr/de/uk seem to be fine.

Anyone know if there is a 100% guide out there yet? I'm totally okay playing this guided lol.

There's not really a lot to Guide beyond mechanics (stats, skills, liked presents, etc) and one event that's required for some routes.

100%ing is multiple playthroughs , there's a bad end, an end for each Sin (+ some others), a max affection end for each character and a true end.

Its a VN in a lot of ways.

There's not really a lot to Guide beyond mechanics (stats, skills, liked presents, etc) and one event that's required for some routes.

100%ing is multiple playthroughs , there's a bad end, an end for each Sin (+ some others), a max affection end for each character and a true end.

Its a VN in a lot of ways.

Dang, was hoping to see everything as fast as possible. Got my copy but I haven't touched it yet.

Top Bottom