• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Trine' (PSN/PC) Announced

Endless

Nobilis and Frozenbyte announce Trine™ on the PlayStation® Network and PC

Lyon, France, the 5th of December 2008– Nobilis and Frozenbyte are proud to announce that the fantasy action game“Trine™” (PlayStation® Network and PC) will be released in Q2 2009.

Trine™ is a fantasy action game where the player can create and use physics-based objects to beat hazardous puzzles and threatening enemies. Set in a world of great castles and strange machinery, three heroes are bound to a mysterious device called the Trine in a quest to save the kingdom from evil…

The gameplay is based on fully interactive physics - each character's different ability helps the player battle an army of un-dead and defeat hazardous contraptions. The player can at any time freely choose whoever is best suited for the upcoming challenge or puzzle: The Wizard is able to summon objects to help solve puzzles and create new ways to overcome obstacles, the Thief uses her agility and dead-on accuracy to swiftly surprise the monsters, and the Warrior unleashes mayhem and physical destruction wherever he goes.

“This is the first game we publish on the PlayStation® Network and we are thrilled to work with Frozenbyte on this very exciting game project!” declares Arnaud Blacher, CEO of Nobilis Group.

“Trine™ is a true testament to Frozenbyte's new strategy focusing on original IP. We can't wait to have the game released on the PlayStation® Network and PC,” said Lauri Hyvarinen, CEO of Frozenbyte, and he continued:“Nobilis has been a great partner to us all these years and we look forward to combining our efforts even more closely to make a great game!”
Teaser: wmv 150 MB | Youtube

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Intriguing. It kind of reminds me of Kirby's canvas curse with the drawing paths and stuff.

+ it's pretty. Which is nice.

Wollan

SolidSnakex said:
I wonder how they're going to handle drawing stuff on the PS3?
It isn't drawing per say but gestures. It just happens to be that a square movement creates a pre-determined square. You can't draw a face or a endlessly long bridge..etc. (at least this is what I believe from viewing that video)

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Well, looks great... French devs are known for making some graphically appealing and stylish games... although I'd prefer the bloom to be toned down a tad.

Durante

Teaser looks really nice. Will probably buy. Platform will depend on how well the PS3 version controls, there are some things in the video that look hard to pull off without a mouse.

Haunted

Looks pretty cool.

edit: thoughts after watching the trailer

+ different characters with different abilities, switchable on the fly
+ drawing stuff that materialises in the world
+ physics
+ good art™

- character handling looked off, especially their jumping arc and weight

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I like it. I'm in. Only if on steam though.

traveler

Not Wario
Looks more puzzle based than platformer, (like Braid) not that that is a bad thing. Like the look and the gameplay sounds interesting enough. I'll keep it on my radar.

the trailer is beautiful and all, but from what I've seen, the three character is basically puzzle solving (create objects), platforming (swinging) and combat (attack). and you can switch between these three on the fly.

then why not just have 1 character that able to do all this stuff rather than split it into three character. I think it may potentially break the pacing of the game.

gcubed

Callibretto said:
the trailer is beautiful and all, but from what I've seen, the three character is basically puzzle solving (create objects), platforming (swinging) and combat (attack). and you can switch between these three on the fly.

then why not just have 1 character that able to do all this stuff rather than split it into three character. I think it may potentially break the pacing of the game.

i would assume because then its too easy? If you watch the videos there looks to be multiple paths to the objective by which character you use, and the way you use their abilities. So i'm guessing the little objects they are picking up are part of the goal also, you can get more depending on how you solve puzzles and use your environment/abilities.

Top Bottom