• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trip planning - The thread

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I feel like researching for a trip and doing a booking can be nearly as fun as the trip itself. So I have a couple upcoming trips coming up and would like some recommandations. Doing London-Manchester-Hamburg-Berlin in late Octobre/early November 2022. I've been to London many times, mostly there to see people I met online and do clubs. My cousin lives in Manchester so visiting her. Other cities I've never been so if you have any non touristy things to see or do (or even interesting touristy places), I would be interested to know. I've been learning German for a while now and will test my skills in Austria in two weeks (activities are all planned for this one).

Also heading to Seoul and Busan early April 2023 for a friend's 40th birthday. Michelin restaurants and hiking recommandations welcomed also. And yes we're only going to Busan because of the zombie movie.

Feel free to exchange your trips' tips and as we can all help plan a better holiday.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I need to plan a cruise for my family.

I need to go to London by myself, cheap.

I want to take my kids to Europe, but they are still a bit young for it.

I do most of the planning. I try to find a mix of history and entertainment wherever we go.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i've never booked a holiday/trip for myself so feel a bit overwhelmed, scared, and frustrated. i worry too much and need to have every single thing planned out so i know exactly what to expect. i was thinking about going to paris but i can't do it. so i thought maybe something closer to home and i'll go to london. i know it's basically just a train ride then jump on/off trains or underground to get around. i don't need to worry about knowing a different language (i might need to change how i speak because of my accent) and i'm still using GBP so don't need to worry about converting/spending in euros.

even going to london seems overwhelming at the moment. i almost went last month but got too scared and it was on short notice. i had to plan it all out and go a day or two later. i'm currently looking to go in about a month so giving myself a lot moe time to prepare. again i know it's a simple journey but like i said i need to know everything. i've been calculating how long it takes to get between places. it would take about 27 mins to get from the train to my hotel. i need to know what station to go, what train to get, what time it's at, how much it cost, etc. and then i find myself on google maps looking around areas to see what it looks like.

i have travelled before to other countries but i've always been with other people but travelling on my own is terrifying to me. if someone is with me i need to rely on them. most recently, i went to spain and with shit spanish skills managed to travel ~70 miles to a different city without much help. so i know i can do it in a foreign country but still i stress out. i think the furtherest i've ever travelled on my own is ~150 miles but more recently even going ~50 miles was challenging. i almost didn't go because i was terrified of going on a train :messenger_tears_of_joy: if you couldn't tell already i have incredible anxiety issues lol.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
i've never booked a holiday/trip for myself so feel a bit overwhelmed, scared, and frustrated. i worry too much and need to have every single thing planned out so i know exactly what to expect. i was thinking about going to paris but i can't do it. so i thought maybe something closer to home and i'll go to london. i know it's basically just a train ride then jump on/off trains or underground to get around. i don't need to worry about knowing a different language (i might need to change how i speak because of my accent) and i'm still using GBP so don't need to worry about converting/spending in euros.

even going to london seems overwhelming at the moment. i almost went last month but got too scared and it was on short notice. i had to plan it all out and go a day or two later. i'm currently looking to go in about a month so giving myself a lot moe time to prepare. again i know it's a simple journey but like i said i need to know everything. i've been calculating how long it takes to get between places. it would take about 27 mins to get from the train to my hotel. i need to know what station to go, what train to get, what time it's at, how much it cost, etc. and then i find myself on google maps looking around areas to see what it looks like.

i have travelled before to other countries but i've always been with other people but travelling on my own is terrifying to me. if someone is with me i need to rely on them. most recently, i went to spain and with shit spanish skills managed to travel ~70 miles to a different city without much help. so i know i can do it in a foreign country but still i stress out. i think the furtherest i've ever travelled on my own is ~150 miles but more recently even going ~50 miles was challenging. i almost didn't go because i was terrified of going on a train :messenger_tears_of_joy: if you couldn't tell already i have incredible anxiety issues lol.
Travelling alone is fun, you can meet other people. Though I had a tetany attack on the Paris RER once and nearly died so I try to have someone close by or trips with friends. I now keep my medication close by with plenty of electrolytes. In general. I do about 2/3 planned trip and 1/3 discovery. I used to plan everything but then you just have to go to Google maps and do a 3d visit and it was nearly the same. What I like to do is one day full luxury and the other day living like a local. You'd be surprised to find that many times, the local way is better. My friends and I even came back to this little Izakaya in Taipei 3 times because it was so fun and delicious, even with compared to the Michelin restaurants we did.

My work pays me one free trip a year to Europe for studies so when I'm there I extend it to other countries. Brugge in Belgium is the most beautiful city I saw so far in Europe if people are into these sort of things. I usually go to Paris for shopping in the Outlets in Val-d'Europe, which is next to Disneyland (much better for families, no waiting times usually). With cell phones being a thing, there's not stress in travel, you always have your map, can do translation of menus and people speaking, and you have spare credit cards and ID if you lose your wallet.

Why not book with a tour/holiday group? You don't have to do anything other than show up and there'll be people to watch your back.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Why not book with a tour/holiday group? You don't have to do anything other than show up and there'll be people to watch your back.
Argh. I did ONE group event once and it was with ten people and three guys I absolutely loathed. What were the odds.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Do you guys use Expedia? Or is it generally cheaper to book the flight and hotel separate? I have next month off as it turns out and wouldn't mind taking a trip.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
I'm planning on tripping tonight. Going to do 3.5gs of mushrooms and hang out on my balcony listening to pink floyd.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Do you guys use Expedia? Or is it generally cheaper to book the flight and hotel separate? I have next month off as it turns out and wouldn't mind taking a trip.
I use google flights, then get the best site from there.

clarky

Gold Member
Cheapest flight there is.
Skyscanner works for me when im planning a trip, also if your looking for things to do in Manchester theres loads of stuff to do, i prefer it to london( after youve seen all the usual places.)

Edit : not for that kind of flight, theres telegram for that lol.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I generally let me wife plan/book things, but have banned Expedia or similar shit from the toolset. They may get the lowest priced ticket, but they're always the lowest class and with that you always seem to end up paying just much in extra fees and bullshit...can't always pick seats together, which is a must when you've got kids, non-direct flights, odd hours and shit. I'll pay a f'ing premium to not deal with all of that. Also we've had them rebook us on a flight internationally before, without adjusting the connecting flight and caused a huge headache where we lost a day of our trip.

In conclusion, fuck those services, you may or may not save a couple bucks but they treat you like cattle.

clarky

Gold Member
I generally let me wife plan/book things, but have banned Expedia or similar shit from the toolset. They may get the lowest priced ticket, but they're always the lowest class and with that you always seem to end up paying just much in extra fees and bullshit...can't always pick seats together, which is a must when you've got kids, non-direct flights, odd hours and shit. I'll pay a f'ing premium to not deal with all of that. Also we've had them rebook us on a flight internationally before, without adjusting the connecting flight and caused a huge headache where we lost a day of our trip.

In conclusion, fuck those services, you may or may not save a couple bucks but they treat you like cattle.
Yeah unless im backpacking or someshit, id rather go to a decent airline direct and avoid the cheap airlines. Flew with china southern one time, jesus wept, i swear we where lucky to land, never again.

clarky

Gold Member
Not for fags like me. Risk of prison is not worth it.
Unless your bumming in transit at qatar airport or trying the mile high club youll be fine. Can understand why youd avoid them though.

Best business class youve flown out of curiosity?

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Unless your bumming in transit at qatar airport or trying the mile high club youll be fine. Can understand why youd avoid them though.

Best business class youve flown out of curiosity?
Air Ftance but First Class, business is so so. And no I won't risk it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not a big trip taker, but whenever I do go somewhere with buddies we always book some kind of sports event (if youre into sports).

Hocket, baseball, football, basketball.

We've even done minor league baseball games for dirt cheap. Just buy the cheapest tickets they have and move on down to good seats. Nobody cares as they dont even have ushers or ticket checkers at the seats.

Amazingly, even though the tickets are cheap, the food ISN'T. Food and beers can be just as expensive as a pro game!

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I think we're going to take a cruise in August possibly. Never been on one. Have zero expectations of anything interesting aside from tanning and chilling, but it's dirt cheap so I might as well try it. I think we have 1 day in Mexico so that's nothing.

Probably going to Florida also for a concert at the end of the year.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I did this in Japan / China and it's literally the best way to travel in foreign countries. People overly glamorize "doing it yourself," but doing it that way often sucks. You can't speak the language, you can't travel easily without cabs that are extremely expensive and you wont see as much as you could.

In 12 days we went to tons and tons of places in Japan in multiple cities and didn't have to drive or fight the insane traffic at all in Tokyo or Beijing, which literally looked impossible. It was dirt cheap for the amount of guided travel we got. We just chilled on an air conditioned bus, had plenty of room to store things. Had lots of breaks and evenings with free time to do what you want. And a guide is right there that speaks the language so you're not a burden on the locals as much. Each thing you visit your tickets are all ready and you're prioritized in lines. Just renting a car and driving to one additional city would have cost more than we spent. I saw more than my brother who lived in Japan for a year, and owned a moped and couldn't hardly get anywhere.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I did this in Japan / China and it's literally the best way to travel in foreign countries. People overly glamorize "doing it yourself," but doing it that way often sucks. You can't speak the language, you can't travel easily without cabs that are extremely expensive and you wont see as much as you could.

In 12 days we went to tons and tons of places in Japan in multiple cities and didn't have to drive or fight the insane traffic at all in Tokyo or Beijing, which literally looked impossible. It was dirt cheap for the amount of guided travel we got. We just chilled on an air conditioned bus, had plenty of room to store things. Had lots of breaks and evenings with free time to do what you want. And a guide is right there that speaks the language so you're not a burden on the locals as much. Each thing you visit your tickets are all ready and you're prioritized in lines. Just renting a car and driving to one additional city would have cost more than we spent. I saw more than my brother who lived in Japan for a year, and owned a moped and couldn't hardly get anywhere.
I did Hong Kong and had a great time doing a combo of roaming around myself, and as cheesy as it sounds paying money to go on a tour bus of the city.

HK was easy as I did my thing walking most of the time. Only taking the subway to get to Kowloon.

I totally agree about the taxi part. Taxis are easy, but sometimes you just want to do your own thing. I tried to understand a bus stop route at a bus stop and said fuck it. I'm not going to try to figure out if the route works as I dont know the city and all the stops and intersections.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

I've done Tokyo a few times en-route to Niseko for snowboarding. Always DIY, I find myself getting into strange places and meeting folk easier if you wing it. Just a rough outline of the areas you want to check out and just go where the mood takes you. Piss alley, the Robot Restaurant followed by aimlessly wandering around Shinjuku hammered was a great night the first time we were there. Great people too, very helpful.

Last edited:
Top Bottom