• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.
also
ZUbHlHt.png

Lol. You folks're gonna drive me nuts with all this scene dissection.

I was thinking this morning, do you think Martin is ever gonna have to fire his gun? I figure they don't point out early on that he's never shot at anyone without it having some significance later on. Or maybe it was just to help establish the difference in the careers of Marty and Rust up to that point.

I was thinking this morning, do you think Martin is ever gonna have to fire his gun? I figure they don't point out early on that he's never shot at anyone without it having some significance later on. Or maybe it was just to help establish the difference in the careers of Marty and Rust up to that point.

I'm assuming he will considering there was a scene in episode 3 where Marty says, "Have you ever been in a gunfight before?" to the 2012 detectives.

Now of course being in a gunfight doesn't guarantee we'll see Marty use his gun, but it is likely.

Yes. Remember both detectives have mentioned a shootout in the woods, which must be the climax of the case/season I guess.

Don't know if anyone brought this up before ... not browsing 60 pages LOL. But I'm rewatching the show and caught this in episode 2 when they visit the victim's mother. WTF is going on in this picture? Some bizarre looking shit to me. Think it's going to turn out that Dora Lang was meant to end up a sacrifice from birth or something?

IMIwrEz.jpg

I noticed that the first time. I don't think that's whats going on there... I think it was just a picture from Mardi Gras.

http://tinyurl.com/lb9v7ef

Treme has an episode where a character goes out into rural Louisiana and that's how they dress up.

Kadayi

Banned
Yes. Remember both detectives have mentioned a shootout in the woods, which must be the climax of the case/season I guess.

I think its coming up sooner than that. They're basically on the trail as far as Ledoux goes in 1995 now they're putting the squeeze on Ginger. The main problem they face is that they're way off book given the whole undercover act (which is clearly blown) and so the situation they face is coming up with an investigative route to back up the investigation. Neither of them is going to fess up to having been involved in the clusterfuck that resulted from the aborted robbery for sure.

I think its coming up sooner than that. They're basically on the trail as far as Ledoux goes in 1995 now they're putting the squeeze on Ginger. The main problem they face is that they're way off book given the whole undercover act (which is clearly blown) and so the situation they face is coming up with an investigative route to back up the investigation. Neither of them is going to fess up to having been involved in the clusterfuck that resulted from the aborted robbery for sure.
Yeah no way they can stretch Dora Lange case for another 4 episodes.

CzarTim

Don't know if anyone brought this up before ... not browsing 60 pages LOL. But I'm rewatching the show and caught this in episode 2 when they visit the victim's mother. WTF is going on in this picture? Some bizarre looking shit to me. Think it's going to turn out that Dora Lang was meant to end up a sacrifice from birth or something?

IMIwrEz.jpg

Yeah, def. Lafayette Mardi Gras.

Although that photo was disturbing for the "KKK nah psych lol wait it's still weird"-ness of it, I think the single phrase "What kind of a father won't give his daughter a bath?" was more disturbing.

hmm? oh, right. Uhm, something something True Detective. Totally not watching that gif or anything.

Though in terms of hypothetical pairs, I think it's safe to say that most British actors are unlikely to happen. Besides, you do need someone who believably carry a "normal person" with all the ups and downs that brings.

To be honest, I think you should expect Jeff Daniels or something. Someone who isn't associated with 'not normal' like James Bond and so on. Adrien Brody might work too.

effzee

Watched the episode late and read up on the past few pages and haven't seen this answered or discussed:

Wasn't the case in jeopardy of being handed over to another group of detectives? Wasn't time of the essence? Is it me or was it completely weird and unexplained how after learning about Ledoux's whereabouts, they go exchange in a very high risk gamble that requires Rust going back under cover, lying about taking time off, doing drugs, and joining a biker gang which almost gets him killed.

I mean I loved the whole sequence and the episode was probably some of the best tv I have ever watched, but really was that the "only play"? They couldn't have reported his association with the Iron Crusaders to their boss and gone about it a more conventional way? It almost seemed like something you would do only if there was a kidnap victim waiting to be rescued with a ticking clock.

Or was it just me?

Watched the episode late and read up on the past few pages and haven't seen this answered or discussed:

Wasn't the case in jeopardy of being handed over to another group of detectives? Wasn't time of the essence? Is it me or was it completely weird and unexplained how after learning about Ledoux's whereabouts, they go exchange in a very high risk gamble that requires Rust going back under cover, lying about taking time off, doing drugs, and joining a biker gang which almost gets him killed.

I mean I loved the whole sequence and the episode was probably some of the best tv I have ever watched, but really was that the "only play"? They couldn't have reported his association with the Iron Crusaders to their boss and gone about it a more conventional way? It almost seemed like something you would do only if there was a kidnap victim waiting to be rescued with a ticking clock.

Or was it just me?

The impression I got, was Rust was pretty much eager to hop back into that role.

Or was it just me?

The case WAS in jeopardy, but since they found their murderer (essentially), Quesada gave them a lot more leeway.

They never learn Ledoux's whereabouts, they just learned about him. The episode was all about figuring out his whereabouts. I'm not sure how else they would get information on an exclusive drug dealer except to get it from the people who hired him.

I also think that Rust wanted to go undercover.

see5harp

Or was it just me?

I think they were in jeopardy of losing the case in Episode 3. Marty had all but given up when he comes into the office late (after date night when he breaks into crazy pussy's apartment). I assume with every new discovery they make, they are given some leeway. Finding that LaDoux was an ex-boyfriend of one vic who just happened to manufacture meth and LSD and also skipped bail probably gave them some time. Not sure how Rust could request an entire month off during a high profile investigation (that seems especially crazy) but I guess I'm just rolling with the punches. I think the whole situation was a bit ridiculous seeing as he could have just roughed up Ginger from the start but maybe he didn't have enough evidence to force Ginger to roll.

Or was it just me?
they absolutely could have handled it better, but I think Rust enjoys being the "Crash" character. It gives him an excuse to go even deeper and envelope himself into the case (and maybe escape from the world inside his head for a while). I also think Rust has an issue with authority to the point that he gets off on doing things himself outside of the rules. Their boss already made it apparent how he feels concerning the case, he wanted to take them off it earlier.

Had Marty's personal life not been falling apart, I'm not sure he would have agreed to the whole thing
The impression I got, was Rust was pretty much eager to hop back into that role.
The case WAS in jeopardy, but since they found their murderer (essentially), Quesada gave them a lot more leeway.

They never learn Ledoux's whereabouts, they just learned about him. The episode was all about figuring out his whereabouts. I'm not sure how else they would get information on an exclusive drug dealer except to get it from the people who hired him.

yup.

Dresden

Yeah no way they can stretch Dora Lange case for another 4 episodes.

My guess is that it gets wrapped up before episode 6, and 7+8 deal with 2002 and the investigation in 2012.

---

Episode 5 is going to be pretty damn interesting. Pizzolatto commented that this is his baby and this sounds like the moment where Rust's character starts breaking down. From that daily beast interview from a week or so ago:

So in episode five—not to spoil anything—Cohle gives one of his metaphysical addresses. And you can see it as Job crying out to an uncaring God—or you could see it as a character trapped in a TV show yelling at the audience. I think that much, at least, is safe to print.

effzee

I guess.

To me it played out like they learn about Ledoux, address the whole precinct which makes it seem like this will be big joint forces operation, but then secretly devise their own plan which takes weeks to put into action. I guess in this sense I needed to see Quesada actually giving them the leeway instead of us assuming. Even when Rust showed up at the hospital, he made it sound like they could move in on Ledoux that same night but then they don't. I don't it seemed choppy to me. The urgency and timeline didn't seem to match and I just think that there had to be better ways to get to Ginger and then Ledoux then the most dangerous complex mission they actually came up with.

I think they were in jeopardy of losing the case in Episode 3. Marty had all but given up when he comes into the office late (after date night when he breaks into crazy pussy's apartment). I assume with every new discovery they make, they are given some leeway. Finding that LaDoux was an ex-boyfriend of one vic who just happened to manufacture meth and LSD and also skipped bail probably gave them some time. Not sure how Rust could request an entire month off during a high profile investigation (that seems especially crazy) but I guess I'm just rolling with the punches. I think the whole situation was a bit ridiculous seeing as he could have just roughed up Ginger from the start but maybe he didn't have enough evidence to force Ginger to roll.

Yeah I don't think it took away from my enjoyment at all but this was the first time in the show where I thought to myself "well that escalated quickly". I didn't get why it had to be off the books when the end goal was to get Ginger alone to find out Ledoux's location. Could have done with a whole team. Could have shut down the whole biker rally/bar/strip club.

Kvik

They can't just flash their badges and expect Iron Crusaders/Ginger to spill Ledoux's location (Rust did say this to Marty after his hospital antics). By going undercover, Rust had hope Ginger will bring him to Ledoux under the guise of the Coke -> Meth trade.

It has to be off the books since Rust needed that bag of coke and going through proper channel to get it will involve plenty of red tape, something that they want to avoid since time is of the essence.

It went south when Ginger's crew botched the stash house raid. Rust had no other choice than to extract himself and Ginger out of the projects and will probably have to use force to get him to spill where Ledoux is.

aFIGurANT

Yeah I don't think it took away from my enjoyment at all but this was the first time in the show where I thought to myself "well that escalated quickly". I didn't get why it had to be off the books when the end goal was to get Ginger alone to find out Ledoux's location. Could have done with a whole team. Could have shut down the whole biker rally/bar/strip club.

I sort of see your first point in retrospect but during the rapture that is this show I kind of forget that there's a timeline and everything like that. Apparently a few weeks passed but the time was compressed nicely to where you don't feel like anything is missing - it was all there in Rust's apartment and it was good.

For your second point re: just taking the task force in and apprehending Ginger, I'm not sure they would have even known where to look without Rust laying down his tall-tale. Not to mention the perp has boats right there on the water waiting to take him and his gang away when they hear something is afoul.

It went south when Ginger's crew botched the stash house raid. Rust had no other choice than to extract himself and Ginger out of the projects and will probably have to use force to get him to spill where Ledoux is.
Well, the show made it clear that Rust can get into peoples' heads, like he did with one dude during interrogation. So hopefully no need to get the pliers out. I don't think it will even come to that. Ginger will spill the beans after Rust makes a deal that they will not charge him in exchange for Ledoux' location.

Going the traditional route would have been too time consuming and painful. Remember Marty's sleuthing got them Iron Crusaders, which was off the books to begin with. Even if they were able to convince the chief to raid the joint, it would have taken a bit of paperwork and redtape to authorize the raid. Even if they did get it authorized and brought in Ginger for questioning, he could not be arrested on any charges. Not only that, Ginger would probably have gone the lawyer route and not said anything. Too many if's, uncertainty and redtape which in the end would have left us with no answers, and way too long for the chief's liking. Remember there is already a taskforce working on this case from another angle.

Going the traditional route would have been too time consuming and painful. Remember Marty's sleuthing got them Iron Crusaders, which was off the books to begin with.
yup. And to follow on this after rewatching the episode...as soon as Rust heard it was the Iron Crusaders, the wheels already started spinning in his head. The next scene we see with Rust is him pulling out his trunk. It was thrill of the hunt at that point, he had a shot at getting Ledoux personally that no one else would have.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
After thinking about it, I can excuse the stash house raid as a big digression since Marty and Cohle are truly convinced that Ledoux is their man and that they're finally in the endgame of the investigation.

The only thing that stands between them getting Ledoux to close the book on the case is learning his location from the biker gang, so Cohle wouldn't be above certain drastic measures to win the trust of Ginger. And as others have said, Cohle seemed excited at the prospect of going back undercover.

Eek. Did this leak somewhere this week or something? Hasn't been an issue in this thread or elsewhere until today even with 4 weeks of screeners.
No, it hasn't afaik. They just have a promotional pic up that links to the preview for Sunday's episode. It's spoilerish.

Ooh, my friend got episodes 5-7 to review. So jealous! But he's going to space them out and only watch each a day or two in advance.

I wonder if they'll give out any screeners of episode 8.

NotTheGuyYouKill, I would appreciate if you didn't post fresh Justified gifs of dramatic moments in a True Detective thread. I haven't seen
this week's episode
yet.

IMIwrEz.jpg

I noticed it and assumed it was some KKK thing but it's even creepier on closer inspection.

Holy lord, Alfonso Cuarón would be proud. That was some seriously, seriously impressive work.

Also, line of the century: "With all that dick swagger, you can't spot crazy pussy?"

Any UK viewers in here? Was watching the cricket on Sky2 and they were showing a trailer for True Detective which had tons of shots that weren't in the first 4 episodes, including a few with Ledoux I hadn't seen before which made me look away >.>

Seth C

Plus they bought themselves time based on the fact that they now have a presumed suspect and are now only trying to catch him. Effectively, they believe the case to be solved -- they just have to find and apprehend the suspect.

And the excuse was good. He basically said his father was dying. Marty continued working the case.

In the end, Rust believed "taking time off" from th case was the fastest, if not only, way to solve it.

I think it kinda illustrates even though it looks like Marty is falling apart and Rust isn't. Rust's life is just a facade, it's like a thin layer of ice, the fact that he was so comfortable going undercover and living that "Outlaw Life" again kinda indicates that both men are falling apart, just in different ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom