• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True Detective - McConaughey/Harrelson crime series - S2 starts June 21st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadayi

Banned
How does Tiger/Lamarr get shot? It was too quick to notice.

Cohle starts wailing on Ginger with a view to getting out of the house. The big dude without the beard comes into the room to find out what's going on and levels the shot gun at Cohle. Cohle slaps it away as it's real close and Tiger/Lamarr gets a bellyful of lead. Cohle pistol whips the big dude a few times and then gets the fuck out of dodge with Ginger.

That's correct. Doesn't make a ton of sense to me, but it's the sort of thing I can shrug off since I'm watching the tracking shot now.

I just put it down to being general police surveillance and the implication that they were heading into a volatile danger zone.

Bout time some writers started picking up on the literary reference. One article did elude to it a while back, but erroneously cited the source as Lovecraft. /facepalm

Would Hannibal be considered a "master criminal"? Because the mind games he plays and puts Will Graham through in season 1 was boss as shit.

Hannibal is such a camp melodrama it's hard to take it seriously. 80% of that show seems to consist of everyone incestuously navel gazing (its never clear how anyone makes a living given they're in each others faces pretty much all the time) 15% of the show seems dedicated to the endless question of whether Hannibal (the Mary Sue of serial killers) is feeding his dinner guests Soylent Green like that somehow matters and 5% seems to be about investigating increasingly torturous and convoluted serial killers. The media veneration of the psychopath to gruesome performance artist is kind of grubby when you get down to it.

I'd really like to see this show look at a duo or team of incompetent detectives. I know that would be frustrating for the viewer, but it would be interesting to see if a writer and director could pull off a show like that and still keep it interesting while still keeping the focus on the detective.

Just watch A Shot in the Dark.

It's True Detective starring Peter Sellers

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't even comprehend that tracking shot. The term "mind-blowing" gets thrown around a lot. That was fucking mind-blowing.

Vire

I would have suggest Liev Schreiber, but that's before he fucked up his career and took on Ray Donovan.

Viggo sounds excellent for this show.

I accidentally started watching this show at the 3rd episode and I couldn't figure shit out. I liked the monologues/dialogues a lot but fuck me if I knew what was going on with the timeskipping shit. Is this worth starting at the beginning ?

I accidentally started watching this show at the 3rd episode and I couldn't figure shit out. I liked the monologues/dialogues a lot but fuck me if I knew what was going on with the timeskipping shit. Is this worth starting at the beginning ?

If you already like the monologues then you should definitely watch the first two episodes so you can follow the story. About the only negative brought up about the show in this thread has been Rust and his speeches.

kirblar

Yeah, you have to start with Ep1. It's very very good, but is completely serialized. Nothing will make sense out of order.

OHHHHHHHHHH SHIT, FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA DID A TRUE DETECTIVE PIECE YO

tumblr_n0xw2dNjxt1ssmbizo1_500.jpg

tumblr_n0xw2dNjxt1ssmbizo2_500.jpg

It's a bit rough, but I really dig it. I'd love to buy a completed version of this instead of the odd spiral bramble one on the other page.

Frost_Ace

Watched The Wolf of Wall Steet yesterday and didn't know McCounaghey was in it, he was one of my favorite things about it, wish he got more screentime.

This man can do no wrong ATM.

I should catch up on Dallas Buyers Club and some of his older performances.

raindoc

A master criminal isn't someone who steals, like, the Great Pyramids or has pet sharks with laser beams on their heads - I think it's just someone who is really good at being a criminal. Multiple bank robberies without being caught and that sort of thing.

Ah, I see. To me, "master criminal" sounds/sounded like a Moriarty/Blofeld-type of criminal. A criminal mastermind.
So.... as long as the second seasons focuses on the characters as much as this season does (so far), the crime committed is kind of a secondary matter anyway, meaning I don't really care about it, as long as it isn't distracting (like commited by a comic book villain).

possibly old

Why Does 'True Detective' Repeatedly Overlap With the Work of a Self-Published Poet?

In one of the present-day segments, McConaughey's Rust Cohle tells his interrogators, "This is a world where nothing is solved. You know, someone once told me time is a flat circle. Everything we've every done or will do, we're gonna do over and over and over again."

Compare that to the poem that writer Dennis McHale published on his website on December 14 of last year, titled "This World":

Your love, your hate –-

it's all the same thing

it gathers me in the same web

entangling me with empty promises.

and like a lot of dreams

it made a monster at the end of it.

This is a world where nothing is solved --

where time is a flat circle

and everything we ever do, or have ever done,

we do over and over and over again.

Where you touch darkness

and darkness touches you back.​

jtb

Banned
Surprised that the article is still up tbh. Embarrassing for the writer as well as for the McHale.

that's one of those articles where it's so bad that they have to keep it up as a testament to their own idiocy and laziness. should probably change the title though

-griffy-

Banned
I reckon as exec producer he put himself in the sexy role tho. And he wouldn't be pulling such babes. These gratuitous shows kinda piss me off, cheap ratings
Wow. True Detective has about the least gratuitous gratuitous sex scene I could imagine, especially considering it's HBO. It's practically basic cable level minus seeing tits. The Americans has been far more gratuitous than TD, for example. I mean, you've got GOT with naked prostitutes finger banging each other and evil dude violating and abusing girl with candle stick, True Blood with insane sex every episode, etc. Then True Detective shows one girls boobs in one episode, then cuts out of the scene before you even see anything of a sex act, then about 30 seconds of close up making out in another episode, and THAT's gratuitous?

Draconian

Yeah, for HBO standards the nudity/sex scenes are among the more tastefully done here and actually provide character development and set up story arcs.

If you wanted to make a Puritan stand against gratuitous sex on TV, this was a bizarre thread to make that case. Game of Thrones thread, maybe

I love game of thrones

zychi

Banned
Watched The Wolf of Wall Steet yesterday and didn't know McCounaghey was in it, he was one of my favorite things about it, wish he got more screentime.

This man can do no wrong ATM.

I should catch up on Dallas Buyers Club and some of his older performances.

i just finished DBC. McCounaghey is slowly becoming one of my all time favorite actors. Even his cheesy stuff I really enjoy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom