• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

True or False? A steak that needs steak sauce isnt a good steak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend and I both got a filet for dinner last night. Without even tasting it he asks for steak sauce. And thats fine with me because he could put mustard on it for all I cared. He just likes the taste of steak sauce. I always heard that a steak that needed steak sauce wasnt a good steak. Its own flavor is what makes it so great and sauces mean you may as well got a hamburger with some A1. I know gaf is full of red meat experts so I decided to pose this question.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
I agree with that statement. Doesn't mean he cannot like what he likes. I have seen dingbats put ketchup on their steaks before, which is truly terrifying.

Makai

Sauces ruin it for me. I like dry rubs, though.

I get A1 on Five Guys burgers and hotdogs.

TheMan

Agreed. I only use steak sauce when my wife buys shit cuts of steak, which is pretty much every time she buys steak

I don't hate that much because a completely unseasoned steak can be pretty bland. However, it doesn't take much to make a delicious piece of beef. Proper application of salt and pepper is pretty much all that's necessary.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Truth.

cFNPx4a.gif

Hinchy

Yeah I agree with OP on this one. I feel like pretty much any sauce just overpowers the taste of a good steak.

Not that I dislike A1 or anything, but I don't use it for steak.

Man, I just realized I haven't had a bottle of A1 since I moved into my current home. I should fix that.

zeopower6

Individual preference. Some people like the flavor of the meat only, others like something to dip it in or served on top/beside the steak.

For me personally. I think steak sauces like A1 are usually used when the steak isn't particularly flavorful or juicy on its own. But any sort of steak with bearnaise or a mushroom gravy of some sort is fine by me~

Dishwalla

Banned
I suppose. But then, is a burger that needs ketchup a shitty burger?

I think I'm of the mind that in many cases things like steak sauce and ketchup and hot sauce are indeed there to help mask the flavor, but there are times when any of these things can and do enhance it as well. So yeah, steak sauce is usually a sign of a poor steak, but it's not always indicative of one.

Exr

You want the meat taste....if you put any sauce on a steak youre putting bum meat in your mouf or youre a filthy fucking subhuman plebian

I find most meats boring without sauce. BBQ is my preference.

...and we don't buy shit quality meats.

Bacon is the exception. That never needs sauce.

Also, to counter some posts in this thread, some of us can taste multiple things at once. God knows what you're doing wrong if you cannot taste the meat over the sauce.

If it needs it, then obviously.

But that doesn't mean it's bad to have steak with sauce. My girlfriend makes a killer mushroom sauce.

Koyuga

A good steak shouldn't need any kind of seasoning after it's been cooked, because sauces completely cover up the flavor of the steak itself. That said, I do like a steak with steak sauce every now and then, but it feels like a waste to put it on one that's properly cooked. Sauce is best used on lower quality cuts or steaks that have been dried out by cooking.

Needs is a strong word. A good steak doesn't need sauce. However, a steak can be enhanced by certain sauces like steak au poivre or some sort of balsamic reduction.

Griss

You like steak sauce? Fine, whatever.

But if a steak NEEDS it? Then that's one shit cut of meat. And yeah, they do exist.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
If it needs sauce, no it's not a good steak. That said I don't find any issue with people who even when served a good steak still like to have some steak sauce on it.

zychi

Banned
Its disrespectful to the cook/chef. Like dipping sushi in ketchup.

It does make bad meat taste better, but if youre buying a nice steak, you should enjoy it how you want.

NomarTyme

I think I'm of the mind that in many cases things like steak sauce and ketchup and hot sauce are indeed there to help mask the flavor, but there are times when any of these things can and do enhance it as well. So yeah, steak sauce is usually a sign of a poor steak, but it's not always indicative of one.
Did you just compare a steak to a burger?... Wow.

I almost always just do good olive oil, salt and pepper, and butter in the pan. 5 minutes rest. perfection.

The idea of using no seasoning whatsoever is stupid. I've had friends that demand that or have cooked me steaks that way and it's comparitively bland. Some fat and salt opens up your taste buds and makes the meat taste better.

I grew up in a household where everything was well done or in the case of vegetables, boiled to hell and back. So yeah, I know a thing or two about sauce's, but I also know that since I started cooking my own meals, that shit doesn't even cross my mind anymore.

Ashhong

Your statement is true, a good steak does not NEED sauce. However if he likes the taste of sauce then what can you do? Doesn't mean the steak isnt good.

Fury451

Banned

Burgers and steaks are both beef, but that's about as far as the similarities go.

Ri'Orius

I'd rather eat a crappy steak with good sauce than a great steak without. Which is why I generally don't even bother buying steak: it doesn't seem worth the price.

akira28

well what is need? if it needs it or else its inedible, ok fine.

if its good but you like the addition of steak sauce, that's not what most people think of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom