• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump addresses Charlottesville [Up: Trump's people force him to croak out "racism"]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I see a couple others have made statements. not sure if already posted:

WgXMsey.png

Gardner is a Trump rubber stamp. His words mean absolutely nothing.

RinsFury

A white supremacist President like Trump will only lead to these nazi movements growing larger and more powerful. They all know they are untouchable right now. These are dark times we are living in.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
None of the Republican's denouncing this disgusting attack on Americans means shit until they get this Nazi out of office.

I'll give them credit when they actually impeach Trump, and put into effect legislation that actually benefits the people of this country. Words are easy. Words are really fucking easy. Actions are what make the world go round.

Cheerilee

Neo-Nazis commit an act of terror against American citizens on American soil.

The POTUS provides his tacit endorsement.

Republicans pretend to give a damn.

Repeat.

Dude Abides

Banned
Man, this would have been the easiest thing in the world for Trump to put out a good statement and get mainstream praise. Like, a mayor in a one stoplight town would be able to make a decent PR release about this. Instead he fucks it up.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Man, this would have been the easiest thing in the world for Trump to put out a good statement and get mainstream praise. Like, a mayor in a one stoplight town would be able to make a decent PR release about this. Instead he fucks it up.

He didn't fuck anything up

Joeku

Even the most minor of crises (ie. insofar as only one person died due to a terror attack) he fucks up. He's incapable of not fucking up. This was maybe the most self-evident thing the moment he declared his candidacy a couple years ago; he has no vocabulary and cannot speak for shit. His advisers certainly don't help.

Imagine a "big league" crisis under Trump. It'll be a fucking travesty.

He didn't fuck anything up

True, that is the grey thing here:
To his horrible supporters, he did wonderfully by not denouncing him as all the alt-right and white supremacist sites have pointed out (I think there are screen grabs from the Daily Stormer and 4Chan in here...as well as the terrible folks who support him who visit this site and try to play the both sides bullshit).

To the rest of the nation:
He fucked this up by not denouncing these white nationalist/neo-nazis as the domestic terrorists that they truly are. And his administration has followed suit on using generic responses not painting that group of vile human beings as the horrible people they truly are.

Sally Yates is a national treasure.

I like her and all, but 2016 was a loud rejection of the idea that America as a whole is better than a whole lot of abhorrent bullshit, including what she lists in her tweet.

Well-meaning people need to stop foolishly betting on this country's better angels to do the right thing the way Hillary and Obama did and start admitting that the U.S. has some truly ugly problems that should have been addressed a long time ago. Acting like this country is above racism clearly isn't doing shit.

Care to explain what you mean or are you just shitposting?

I assume the poster means that it wasn't a "fuck up" in terms of Trump's intent. He's a racist who knows he's in bed with racists. His response wasn't a "oops, I said the wrong thing," it's a "I chose not to condemn Nazis because they're my most enthusiastic supporters and I am a desperate manchild."

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Just when I think Trump can't possible get any lower, he doesn't denounce white supremacists for an obvious domestic terror attack.

If this guy wins again in 2020 after all this I'm going to lose all faith in this country...

lol

December 15, 2012.

THAT was the day I lost faith in this country.

The day before something utterly horrific happened.

But on December 15th, something worse happened. Nothing.

That was when my faith died.

I like her and all, but 2016 was a loud rejection of the idea that America as a whole is better than a whole lot of abhorrent bullshit, including what she lists in her tweet.

Well-meaning people need to stop foolishly betting on this country's better angels to do the right thing the way Hillary and Obama did and start admitting that the U.S. has some truly ugly problems that should have been addressed a long time ago. Acting like this country is above racism clearly isn't doing shit.

Hillary literally called potential voters deplorable. She got shit on for it and was forced to apologize.

lol

December 15, 2012.

THAT was the day I lost faith in this country.

The day before something utterly horrific happened.

But on December 15th, something worse happened. Nothing.

That was when my faith died.

I've already lost faith.

On the night of the election, I lost faith that America was going to progress.

Today, I lost faith in America as a whole.

Fully agreed. I took her comment as "not [in the spirit of] who we are as a country." There is a definite racist element to our society that need to be dealt with, and admitting that there's a problem is the first step toward correcting it.

Cheerilee

Hillary literally called potential voters deplorable. She got shit on for it and was forced to apologize.

Many mistakes were made in the election, but the fact is... this Trump stuff is real.

17 years ago, South Park had this exact same episode, but their episode didn't end with an act of terror, it ended with Matt and Trey optimistically proposing that maybe kids these days have grown up in a world where racism is over.

I wonder how many of those alt-righters taking selfies at this terrorist attack are 26 years old or younger?

There's something rotten in the core of America, and even if Trump is impeached and thrown in jail tomorrow for being Vladimir Putin's cockholster, somebody is going to have to do more to fix America than has ever been done.

Many mistakes were made in the election, but the fact is... this Trump stuff is real.

17 years ago, South Park had this exact same episode, but their episode didn't end with an act of terror, it ended with Matt and Trey optimistically proposing that maybe kids these days have grown up in a world where racism is over.

I wonder how many of those alt-righters taking selfies at this terrorist attack are 26 years old or younger?

There's something rotten in the core of America, and even if Trump is impeached and thrown in jail tomorrow for being Vladimir Putin's cockholster, somebody is going to have to do more to fix America than has ever been done.

Many posters have already said it, white supremacy is woven into the fabric of the United States. Slaves literally built the country. At the heart of that was the idea that Africans and other dark skinned people are not fully human. This idea never went away, because it was not challenged. At the end of the civil war, the southern generals and leaders should have been exiled or at best have had their wealth stripped from them to fund reparations. At the heart of all of this is a belief that non-whites are inferior and this belief was never fully addressed, the conversation was never had and here we are years later.

Cowards?
I know it's hard to swallow, They just don't care.

That's what makes them so cowardly. Before this, they would jump for any excuse they could to avoid calling people like Dylann Roof the t-word without fail. They're only now willing to call a white guy a terrorist in an attempt to save their own skins as the Trump administration loses support and people realize that Republicans can't govern for shit.

Plus I'm pretty sure that poster is not the kind to have any qualms with calling Republicans out on their racism.

I was more alluding to how a good portion of her campaign strategy was based on the idea that people would reject Trump the way the people rejected Goldwater. I get why she did it, and I thought it would work at the time as much as anyone, but the election demonstrated that it's not viable anymore. I think that deplorables comment was meant to be a part of that strategy in that it was supposed to nudge "moderate" Republicans away from Trump (in a "You wouldn't want to support the nazis' favorite, would you?" sort of way) and also galvanize independents and Democrats into voting against the candidate who was being backed by nazis and klansmen.

Anyway, acting like America is somehow above the ugliest aspects of its history when many of those problems were never directly addressed does nothing but gives people an a chance to ignore them. It happened countless times before and it will continue to happen until we as a country (just white America, really) admits that the U.S. was not founded as a perfect union and makes steps to correct its course.

Like I said, I get that Yates meant well in that tweet, but a small edit like changing "is not" to "should not be" would keep the spirit of the original while being less inaccurate.

Its also crazy to see this all from a global perspective. Once people and nations saw the US as a beacon of hope. The country that helped to Europe to beat the Nazis, the country with the American dream for local people as well as overseas people. And now, everytime you watch the news, there is disaster on display. Social, cultural and political.Of course, many Americans still fight for a better world out there, but its not them who make the headlines.

And China, despite lacking BIG TIME in terms of human rights, is looking better than ever. Maybe not in the eyes of Europeans or Americans, but the rest of the world surely appreciates China a little more now. And I guess European countries such as France and Europa come out pretty strong these days, fighting of terror attacks and other stuff.

As a Germany, there was a lot of anti-Bush sentiment, a lot of Anti-USA-politics sentiment as well, but now its like, man, we are like: there are no words for this mess anymore.

I for one, would like to see a strong America back again. With a strong message for democracy, freedom etc. One could say, well, we just need to wait 3,5 y. But considering what happened in the first six months, that could be very very rought 3,5y. With a global order that could change big time, if countries like China or Germany, fill up the vacuum.

I don't think anyone is looking upto China except for those few that always have .

China keep encroaching other countries land and is pissing them off . India is starting to bring a military presence in those areas where China is encroaching .

China also isn't doing anything to help out with the North Korea situation.

They are however getting more and more powerful .

danthefan

I see a couple others have made statements. not sure if already posted:

WgXMsey.png

O4mqDt0.png

Good to see Republicans coming out with these comments.

I don't have anything to say on Trump that hasn't been said already but holy fuck I hate him so much. And I'm not even American. All of you here need to do everything you possibly can to make sure he doesn't get back in in 2020.

He didn't fuck it up; he is a white nationalist Nazi scumbag himself.

This is what he wants.

Kevtones

Can the Senate introduce a bill that criminalizes all Nazi-afflation? Is it feasible?

Seriously, if McCain, Hatch, Cruz, Rubio and others want to stir the pot, they should do something explicit. Back themselves up.

danthefan

This is what I cannot fathom. Why is he coming out and speaking like this. Where the fuck is the benefit to him? I appreciate he basically seems to be a white supremacist but considering he lies about literally everything why pick this topic to show his true colours on?

Alucrid

Banned
This is what I cannot fathom. Why is he coming out and speaking like this. Where the fuck is the benefit to him? I appreciate he basically seems to be a white supremacist but considering he lies about literally everything why pick this topic to show his true colours on?

who are trump's biggest fans? the white supremacists / neo nazis / alt right.

valkyre

Trump clearly has better things to do, like golf for example...

Looking the other way is his best way of handling matters so far, so...

Rupetta

Actions speak louder than words. They see these hollow statements/threats and never take action and thus are implicit in enabling this shitholery. Gotta put your money where your mouth is one of these days, and it's been years of what I see as faux-outrage from the Conservatives that have basically lost any meaning to me as they are still going to support his agenda.

Words are incredible important in normalizing praxis. It was after all words that got Trump elected, not action. It is words that are sedimenting the discourse of "both sides" and that discourse needs to be fought with words. We have a fuckin NYT journo spewing the line that:
"
The hard left seemed as hate-filled as alt-right."

These are incredible dangerous words and they sediment an idea that the nazis would love.

MC_Hify

All this has gotten me to think about my youth in the punk and ska scene in SoCal. What are skinheads up to these days? Meaning trad skins and SHARPS. Looks like the boneheads are dressing up like Trump playing golf with swastikas instead of aligators on their polo shirts. Or maybe they are still out there and are just not getting media attention.

When I was going to punk and ska shows boneheads were nowhere to be seen, but then again I wasn't going to racist bands shows.

My friend Paul became a Trad Skin, he showed me Pulp Fiction before he did so. We rolled with a diverse group, trad skins, ocassionally a SHARP, and whatever you called rudies in the late to mid-90s. So when we'd go see the Specials or the Skatalites or something and people would ask who I belonged to our joke was, "He's MC_Hify no more no less."

Link

The Autumn Wind
All this has gotten me to think about my youth in the punk and ska scene in SoCal. What are skinheads up to these days? Meaning trad skins and SHARPS. Looks like the boneheads are dressing up like Trump playing golf with swastikas instead of aligators on their polo shirts. Or maybe they are still out there and are just not getting media attention.

When I was going to punk and ska shows boneheads were nowhere to be seen, but then again I wasn't going to racist bands shows.

My friend Paul became a Trad Skin, he showed me Pulp Fiction before he did so. We rolled with a diverse group, trad skins, ocassionally a SHARP, and whatever you called rudies in the late to mid-90s. So when we'd go see the Specials or the Skatalites or something and people would ask who I belonged to our joke was, "He's MC_Hify no more no less."
52287616.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom