• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump admin ending legal aid, English classes for migrant children in US shelters

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

The Trump administration told migrant shelters this week to wind down services — such as legal aid, English classes and recreational activity — that are not directly related to children's safety.

The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said it began instructing grantees this week to begin scaling back or discontinuing awards for activities "that are not directly necessary for the protection of life and safety, including education services, legal services, and recreation."

Federal officials said the administration's refugee office is running out of the necessary funds to deal with a massive influx of unaccompanied minors at the southern border.

"Additional resources are urgently required to meet the humanitarian needs created by this influx — to both sustain critical child welfare and release operations and increase capacity," HHS said.

HHS said ending those services are necessary under the Antideficiency Act, which requires the department to prioritize safety when faced with a funding shortfall.

The department is seeking an emergency appropriation of $2.88 billion to fund its refugee operations. HHS said the program is on pace to run out of funding in the coming weeks and will need supplemental funding. HHS is legally obligated to direct funding to essential services.

"Basic educational, recreational, and legal services for unaccompanied children are imperative for their physical and mental well-being. ORR’s cancelling of these services will inflict further harm on children, many of whom continue to languish for months without being placed safely and expeditiously into a sponsor’s care," said Rep. Rosa DeLauro (D-Conn.), chair of the House Appropriations HHS subcommittee.

"That is not only unacceptable, it could be in violation of the law."

Under current law, migrant children who illegally cross into the U.S. must be sent to a government shelter, where they stay until they can be united with relatives or other sponsors while awaiting immigration court hearings.

HHS operates a network of approximately 168 facilities and programs in 23 states to house those children. On average this year, the agency has taken about 40,000 children into custody, including 12,587 in April. They stayed an average of 48 days until a case worker could place them with a sponsor, usually a relative.

Federal law requires that children must be held in the “least restrictive” facility possible, meaning they must be held in migrant shelters, rather than jail-like facilities. Migrant children’s time in government custody has grown longer, in part due to the new policies that make sponsors afraid to come forward because of immigration enforcement.
I am sure this will be spun as evil racist Trump, but reality is the border crisis is causing a huge financial strain and as the article states there isn't enough money to keep funding these programs.

Maybe the US can't just be a welfare state for every single person in the world? And that resources are finite and that the border crisis needs to get resolved?

If you can't afford this at the border how do Dems expect to have free everything?

pramod

Oct 24, 2017
Send ur kids illegally to the US.
Get free lodging.
Healthcare.
Schooling.
Even soccer games.

Sounds like a great free summer camp to me.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
the border crisis is causing a huge financial strain and as the article states there isn't enough money to keep funding these programs
it is unfortunate, Obama is the one who began locking kids in cages, and now that the border program is massively unpopular, they want to withhold funds from it, resulting in slashed services. im actually in favor of them ending english classes, which itself has a kind of icky history around imperialism.

And who is gonna pay for it? Oh yeah rich people, because they dont deserve their money.
i cut a $2,000 check towards taxes this year in addition to my weekly contribution, guess Dems just want more of that money to go straight to the war chest.

Last edited:

merlinevo

Apr 28, 2019
You know these illegal immigrants are future welfare parasites when they make the claim that they are entitled to these benefits. No, illegal immigrants are not entitled to anything and it was only by the kindness of previous administrations that allowed these wasteful spending to take place. It is the president's sole discretion whether illegal immigrants are a best interest to this country and right now the president has deemed them unworthy.

We already have too many illegal immigrants in this country and we don't need to take in more. Remove the magnet of social welfare and they will start heading home. This is a very good move by the administration to eliminate the pull attraction that draw these illegal immigrants into the country.

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
He is not removing social welfare. He is diverting funding from legal aid and education while they are in shelters to fund more capacity of shelters.

Mr. Blonde

Jun 16, 2004
Our country needs to do something if Mexico continues to let people walk thru it without claiming asylum in Mexico, since Mexico should be considered "the nearest safe country to claim asylum in" and not the US. The current asylum/immigration laws need to either be changed or else be enforced differently based on the way cartels are making fools of us.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
We are one of the richest countries on earth with hundreds of billions of dollars in funding available to us. I think we can find some funding to be able to treat children with humanity.
they are trying to appropriate more funds ...

homeland has to pull back those services, there's nothing they can do

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I never wanna hear another Republican politician claim to give a shit about children.
None of the aid going towards their safety is being taken away. Not being able to fund english lessons for an endless wave of illegal immigrants somehow means no one cares about children in your head though. How many billions of dollars in taxpayer money should we be willing to spend on this while both sides of our politcal class continue to not work together and use it for their own political advantage?

Once again you are acting on feelings and throwing out blanket statements rather then being rational.

Reactions: prag16

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
I agree 100%. Which is why we need immigration reform and a more streamlined process for it to make it easier for immigrants to get into the country legally so they don't have to resort to trying to do it illegally.
Or they could just stop coming.

No one has a human right to obtain citizenship
I'm not going to derail the thread with abortion debate.
Because it shows how full of shit you are

Reactions: Enygger_Tzu
May 22, 2018
Or they could just stop coming.

No one has a human right to obtain citizenship
I never said they did. i was just saying that would be the easiest way to solve illegal immigration. That is teh point right? To reduce the number of illegal immigrants? If you make it easier to immigrate that means less illegal immigrants.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: matt404au

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
a big beautiful wall with an even bigger more beautifuller door would make it easier to immigrate legally

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
If you're going to put kids in prison I think they deserve a little yard time now and then.

TrainedRage

Feb 3, 2018
USA
I never wanna hear another Republican politician claim to give a shit about children.
Yeah it's almost like they care more about kids born legally in the US rather than having American taxpayers carry the burden of another countries failures. Really makes the old noggin tick.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
So you can show me some democrats who are advocating for the removal of such services along the border?
Again, black & white. There are independents, libertarians, moderates, etc., etc., that support not spending money that isn't there, and would rather have ti spent on those who are born here, suffering. Carry on, dark and light.

Blame the source that keeps on sending them here.

You're boring.

Last edited:
May 22, 2018
Again, black & white. There are independents, libertarians, moderates, etc., etc., that support not spending money that isn't there, and would rather have ti spent on those who are born here, suffering. Carry on, dark and light.

Blame the source that keeps on sending them here.

You're boring.
Then show me that. Show me the libertarians, the moderates, and the independents that are advocating the removal of such services along the border. I wanna know who these politicians are.

If there are so many then it shouldn't be hard. :)

Stilton Disco

Aug 22, 2014
UK
While it seems a waste if they're going to be spending money on children that are going to be deported anyway, surely it's better to make sure anyone who will be allowed in are at least basically educated up to a standard that will better allow them to integrate in society.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Then show me that. Show me the libertarians, the moderates, and the independents that are advocating the removal of such services along the border. I wanna know who these politicians are.

If there are so many then it shouldn't be hard. :)
I am talking the American people, the very thing these politicians are supposed to represent you dunce.

Of course you now this, but you tiptoe around with your petulant little games.

• Fire
May 22, 2018
I am talking the American people, the very thing these politicians are supposed to represent you dunce.

Of course you now this, but you tiptoe around with your petulant little games.
And I am talking about politicians "you dunce". I literally said

If you are gonna be snarky and petulant when you respond to my posts the least you could do is actually read them properly. Otherwise you are just wasting both of our times.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
If you are gonna be snaky and petulant when you respond to my posts the least you could do is actually read them properly.
What's with this nonsensical tantrum? You are not a victim. You are a privileged man-child who spends his day #resisting on the political sub-board of a gaming forum.

You get your face fucking pied in 80% of the threads you participate in because you fail to read properly. You don't have any standing to call out others for it, but I know this interferes with your aim of trolling, stirring dissent, and spreading misinformation.

Jun 26, 2013
I agree 100%. Which is why we need immigration reform and a more streamlined process for it to make it easier for immigrants to get into the country legally so they don't have to resort to trying to do it illegally.
No, immigration needs to be more meritocratic and selective. People who immigrate here should do so with the intention of working hard and contributing to the country.

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
I never said they did. i was just saying that would be the easiest way to solve illegal immigration. That is teh point right? To reduce the number of illegal immigrants? If you make it easier to immigrate that means less illegal immigrants.
It's kind of funny, since outside of waiting in line, it is easier to immigrate to the US than to immigrate into Mexico.

As for the children... to me, they are not immigrants.... they are victims of a crime. I am OK with some leniency towards them. At this point they have been weaponized and that needs to be stopped at the source.

• Thoughtful

Enygger_Tzu

Jul 7, 2018
Waste of money, those money should have gone to fund a big, beautiful wall, alongside trebouchets for those already in.

• Love
Reactions: Tesseract

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
Wow! Who knew! You could reduce illegal immigration to zero overnight if you just decided to consider all illegal immigration to be legal with the stroke of a pen! Brilliant! Trump is clearly super racist Hitler if he doesn't do this!

Last edited:
  • LOL
May 22, 2018
Wow! Who knew! You could reduce illegal immigration to zero overnight if you just decided to consider all illegal immigration to be legal with the stroke of a pen! Brilliant! Trump is clearly super racist Hitler if he doesn't do this!
Yes because that is exactly what I said. Just make all immigration legal. Mhm.

That was sarcasm

Last edited:

somerset

Banned
Apr 15, 2019
Get a clue people. Your masters don't give a damn about your kids- not the left flavoured ones and not the right flavoured ones.

The hierarchy is always class/caste based. The rules may differ- but the minority at the top always look down upon the losers at the bottom.

Trumpy does X, Obama does Y- all the same thing in the final analysis. Dribblers are told to pick a team tho.

At any given time what matters is the agenda of the current set of masters. Trumpy is allowed to pick at the scabs that should ensure him a second term. Cos your masters are now fully happy with Trumpy, after having gotten over their shock at losing with Clinton.

Like most modern successful business men, Trump's instinct is to talk tough, but be a very reasonable compromiser in private. Painting him as an extremist when in reality he is a moderate is done for effect, not truth. However, this is not to say they ain't weaponising Trump's tough exterior- or even trying to make that the new reality.

The shelters are horrific, were under Obama, continue to be so under Trumpy. And why? Cos they must generate a negative pressure to ensure the process that fills the shelters does not continue to magnify. We call this *negative feedback* in engineering and maths, and it is the *only* way to create a stable system.

Sadly negative feedback means some people suffer. The greater the force pushing in the wrong direction, the higher the negative feedaback is tuned to.

But say the dumb dumbs won. The shelters were made a paradise. Now far more people, reassured by this, will move heaven and earth to sneak into the USA. Which causes vastly worse problems, and vastly more misery downwind.

Scum selling refurbished garbage to desperate people, that sinks the moment they are deep at sea. Land migrants empowering the most ruthless gangsters who grow more and more powerful in their border regions until all locals fall under their regime.

You bleeding heart morons play straight into the hands of the far right.

Real humanity means working to ensure their homelands stop being sh-tholes. We have the tech to do this. We have the knowledge of political systems. But your masters don't give a flying f-ck. Did you see what your masters did to Syria, for instance, once an advanced peaceful multi-cultural industrialised society where all were equal.

But the yank christian zionists, many of whom are lefties, didn't like Syria cos their mates in those two disgusting Middle East states didn't like Syria. The wahhabis and the other lot so loved by yanks. So Syria was put to the sword, merely to collapse its industrial potential for decades to come- and f-ck the millions of innocents hurt in the process.

No american who has *any* love for the wahhabi cult or the other one cares about General Humanity to the slighest degree. So we have this *fake* virtue signalling instead. "Won't you think of the children" they cry as they bomb the kids of Syria, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Serbia, Yemen, Lebanon, Gaza etc etc.

Reactions: pramod

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
Yes because that is exactly what I said. Just make all immigration legal. Mhm.

That was sarcasm
You literally said "make it easier for people to immigrate legally" as a way to curb illegal immigration. Hence, my quip wasn't a dishonest framing of your assertions at all. Unless you're speaking in riddles or something.

Last edited: