• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump admin looking into Tencent’s US gaming investments

Compsiox

Banned
The US government is reportedly scrutinizing Chinese tech giant Tencent and the US gaming companies in which it has an investment interest. Bloomberg reports that the Treasury Department's Committee on Foreign Investment in the US (CFIUS) has asked companies including Epic Games and Riot Games to answer questions about their data-security standards, according to "people familiar with the matter."
Representatives for Epic and Riot were not immediately available to respond to a request for comment from Ars Technica.
The company has owned 93 percent of League of Legends developer Riot Games since 2011 (and 100 percent since 2015) and 40 percent of Epic Games since 2012. The conglomerate also owns majority shares in Clash of Clans developer Supercell and Path of Exile developer Grinding Gear Games, as well as smaller shares in companies including Ubisoft, Activision Blizzard, Funcom, Discord, and PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds maker Bluehole.
"Epic does not share user data with Tencent or any other company," Epic CEO and co-founder Tim Sweeney said in response to such concerns in a December 2018 Reddit thread. "We don’t share it, sell it, or broker access to it for advertising like so many other companies do. I’m the founder and controlling shareholder of Epic and would never allow this to happen."

The time has finally come.

Last edited:

NickFire

Good.

And yeah, I know our console / pc parts are made in China. There's definitely a little hypocrisy to be argued. But I do trust Sony and MS to make sure there aren't any hardware exploits embedded at the manufacturing level to give our data to the Chinese government.

I dont know why I enjoy this mess. Trump took this personally cause tiktokers embarrassed him.

This is going to be interesting since Trump makes all this products in china. And China gave a bunch of patents to his daughter.

Im enjoying the whole situation. I probably wont be the moment this fucks with my PS5 shipment.

JCK75

I don't want Epic to go away, I just want them to be knocked down so many pegs that the unreal engine becomes their only priority...

Kadayi

Banned
Z1hYmnM.jpg

FStubbs

I dont know why I enjoy this mess. Trump took this personally cause tiktokers embarrassed him.

This is going to be interesting since Trump makes all this products in china. And China gave a bunch of patents to his daughter.

Im enjoying the whole situation. I probably wont be the moment this fucks with my PS5 shipment.

Well, Trump and his family using China to make their products are different and okay because reasons.

LOLCats

Banned
lol epic. why did they take that money... did they really need it.

maybe they did at the time.

Last edited:

spons

Gold Member
China is a dictatorship with a censored press, concentration camps, organ harvesting and God knows what those fucks do over there. Don't let the free flow of money fool you, China decides what's good for China. For any reason or none at all, Chinese leaders kill millions of their own people without batting an eye, as Mao did. They only want freedom of trade, not freedom of information. As long as the Communist Party is alive and well, whatever happens to the people is completely irrelevant.

Africa is being recolonized by those fucks as we speak, and the Belt and Road Initiative aims to invest in the poorer parts of Europe to make them side with the Communist cunts. Ban Chinese companies from doing business with the West. And get them the fuck out of Tibet before 80% of the population has turned Han.

As for Epic or whatever the fuck this thread is actually about, Tencent means no good. Like Huawei, it's subsidized up the ass by the Chinese government. They have unlimited money, we don't. There is absolutely nothing fair about their trade practices.

Kerotan

Is this Apple using their clout as one of the most American companies to fuck Epic up? They should have stayed in their lane and been happy with the billions they were making.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Epic is still independently operated majority owned by Sweeney personally, I don't see how there could possibly be an issue there. Riot is a different thing.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
lol epic. why did they take that money... did they really need it.

maybe they did at the time.
Yeah that was before Fortnite, after Gears, when they were positioning themselves to just focus on Unreal Engine. My how times change.

BabyYoda

Banned
Tencent are the CCP, the CCP are...well I font need to tell anyone how evil they are, I think it's clear for all but the most brainwashed to see. They shouldn't be allowed to own anything in the US or in fact any free countries that have any self respect.

Trump certainly has my support all the way from UK. The man loves his country and I respect that.

Top Bottom