• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Administration and FDA plan on banning flavored vaping products from market

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
The Verge: Trump calls on FDA to ban all flavored vapes after mystery lung illness
The Guardian: Trump says FDA moving to ban flavored e-cigarettes
HuffPost: Trump Wants FDA To Ban Flavored E-Cigarettes
Washington Times: FDA targets Juul as vaping-related deaths increase

What I'm wondering is if this also means fully banning the ability to buy flavored e-juices online or not. I have family, friends, and coworker that rely on the ability to be able to legally purchase these products.

I find it frustrating that all of these news reports are mentioning the people getting sick or dying recently from vaping, but either neglect to mention that these were shady blackmarket products or put that information at the bottom of an article. The likely culprit is vitamin e filler being added to these blackmarket products. People that smoke these are getting vitamine e acetate oil coating their lungs.

Last edited:

Lamel

Nov 2, 2009
It's important to note this is only referring to flavored products, which are rampant among middle and high schoolers. For that reason I'm not necessarily opposed to this.

I've seen use of flavored vapes first hand in schools; it's unreal.

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
It's important to note this is only referring to flavored products, which are rampant among middle and high schoolers. For that reason I'm not necessarily opposed to this.

I've seen use of flavored vapes first hand in schools; it's unreal.
I don't know any adult that isn't using flavored vapes.

Cravis

Aug 18, 2006
Need to make the age requirements the same as cigarettes. Outright banning them is not the way to go unless they plan to ban cigarettes and alcohol too.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
I don't know any adult that isn't using flavored vapes.
FWIW, I see an equal amount of vapers as smokers outside these days. All adults. All vaping fruity smelling juice. I'd say probably over 90% vape a flavored juice.

Outright banning them is not the way to go unless they plan to ban cigarettes and alcohol too.
Well, flavored cigarettes are banned. Obama did this. Remember Cloves? Gone now.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
So, two cases of lung disease after e-cigarettes have been around for a decade? Overblown much?
There have been six vaping related deaths so far. All have used THC cartridges but not all of those had vitamin E acetate in them. The three most popular diluents or cutting agents have gone dark and been subpoenaed by the NY State AG. But this seems to be driven by the kids who are vaping.

Last edited:

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Someone is going to take this to court. You cannot just outright ban something like this as this is not tobacco, it is a VG or PG based product with nicotine added. Some don't even have nicotine.

There is not even an addictive substance in them.

These things helped me quit smoking as has it done so for countless others. I only use tobacco flavored so the fruity stuff doesn't effect me, but you never give the government an inch, or they will take a mile.

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
There have been six vaping related deaths so far. All have used THC cartridges but not all of those had vitamin E acetate in them. The three most popular diluents or cutting agents have gone dark and been subpoenaed by the NY State AG. But this seems to be driven by the kids who are vaping.
My mistake. I saw a news report talking about two deaths. Still, that's not very many.

Reactions: ConnorDuffy1977

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I don't know if I see this as a bad move. Cutting out the various flavors will make most people think twice about vaping, most notably teenagers that might be taking it up without having any history of smoking. The downside, of course, is that this will drive up demand from the black market.

May 22, 2018
Yet regular cigarettes are okay, cause, labels?

I don't vape, nor ever smoked, but come on now.
Came here to say exactly this. They are banning the vaping products because people get sick by using them? Okay well what about the thousands of people every year who suffer from severe health issues due to regular cigarettes?

Banning one for health reasons and not the other when the other has been causing much more damage for far longer makes literally no sense at all.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Banning one for health reasons and not the other when the other has been causing much more damage for far longer makes literally no sense at all.
Well, Trump is banning flavored e-cigarettes with the same logic that the Obama administration banned flavored cigarettes. But I am willing to bet you didn't criticize Obama for banning flavored cigarettes and not regular cigarettes back then. Because that's how you operate.

https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20090922/fda-bans-flavored-cigarettes#1

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Well, Trump is banning flavored e-cigarettes with the same logic that the Obama administration banned flavored cigarettes. But I am willing to bet you didn't criticize Obama for banning flavored cigarettes and not regular cigarettes back then. Because that's how you operate.

https://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20090922/fda-bans-flavored-cigarettes#1
It’s both stupid considering regular cigarettes are still a go.

But I guess the cigarette and pharmaceutical (cancer) industries are bigger business.

Reactions: Mechanized Attacker

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009

Since legal vaping products don't have anything in them that has conclusively been shown to cause long term health problems, I'd disagree that this is the exact same as banning flavored cigarettes to prevent kids getting hooked on a product that will kill them overtime.

Nymphae

Gold Member
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
It would not surprise me at all to learn that all this recent vaping hysteria was all a coordinated effort, a push towards regulation and industry consolidation. I recently read that some months back, Altria (aka Philip Morris - one of the world's largest producers and marketers of tobacco, cigarettes and related products) dropped $13b into this Juul company. As one commenter put it - "You don't drop $13b for a 35% minority stake in anything unless the fix is in."

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
It's weird to me that this onset of the "mystery illness" brings about a ban, but it's only on fruity flavors. I don't have a problem with government requiring only tobacco flavor, I just wish they would do more research into the long term effects. Even if this stuff isn't as harmful for your lungs, it's arguably even worse for your heart, since people can just vape for hours straight without the burnt flavor delaying the desire for the next one.

Banning cloves is dumb though. Who were all these kids discerning the full palette of flavors of cognac??? :pie_thinking:

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
I was listening to the radio today and there was a really fucked up ad about how the times are changing and it's time to get with the times and update to new e-ciggerettes.

Then I thought, didn't they ban the ability for tobacco companies to market tobacco on TV and radio? I remember seeing joe camel commercials and marlboro man when I was a kid but then it all stopped and haven't seen a commercial for smoking in a long time.

I thought there was some legislation preventing it? But vapes don't apply to it?

Shitload of highschool/jr high kids are vaping though, just a few years after smoking was going out the door.

Last edited:
Reactions: Joe T.

IKSTUGA

Jan 9, 2019
Vaping is retarded, still wouldn't ban it. Also, increasing taxes on harmful things makes way more sense than outright banning them.

ClanOfNone

Nov 24, 2018
These bootleg thc carts have absolutely flooded the market down here. The kids up at work that were slinging them for 30/40 bucks a pop, and now they can't move them at all after all the bad press lmao.
Those Dank carts don't even have batch or lot numbers on them, it's like the bootleggers aren't even trying.

nani17

May 3, 2018
How dare you vape but here's a cigarette instead . :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Aren't those vapes/e-cigarettee meant to wean you off cigarettes? People are on them for 4 years and I honestly thought it was meant to be a few months and you go cold turkey after that

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
Came here to say exactly this. They are banning the vaping products because people get sick by using them? Okay well what about the thousands of people every year who suffer from severe health issues due to regular cigarettes?

I agree. I also don't think that banning these products will do much to stop consumption. We should learn from our own history. In this case prohibition and the effects it had on the population.

Reactions: lock2k

dionysus

Yaldog
May 12, 2007
Texaa
This is why you shouldn't give the Federal government these powers in the first place, even if you agree with the first implementation of the power.

Fox Mulder

Jul 1, 2009
Greensboro, NC
shouldnt be banning them. Cigarettes have killed people for generations but those are fine. Just put warning on them if a handful of incidents are just as bad as the graveyards of cigarette users.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Cigarettes have killed people for generations but those are fine.
Again, flavored cigarettes have already been banned and the logic is that kids right now are vaping en masse. It's at epidemic proportions. Kids are not smoking or drinking alcohol at the level they are vaping. Nobody is saying cigarettes are fine. WTF?

Mihos

Gold Member
May 10, 2009
steamcommunity.com
I am not for banning anything..... but don't come out of it like a victim if you decide to vape and get sick like this idiot.

triplestation

Dec 23, 2008
NYC
that's a nanny type problem, these same kids will find other ways to find the high they want

push forward again what you reversed on using brain damaging chems on farm crops if you care about children

Airola

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
It's always a relief when I see someone smoking but realize he/she is vaping. Then I know that if that smokes comes close to me I'm not going to cough my lungs out.
I would wholeheartedly support it if every single person who smoked cigarettes would change their habit to vaping.

Obviously it would be best if both smoking cigarettes and vaping would stop existing but if I had to choose one to survive I would definitely choose vaping.

With cigarettes I don't even really care about whatever second hand health problems the smoke causes to people, I just really really hate the smell even from far away. Just small amount of that smoke entering the house through windows smells way too much and just a small amount of smoke accidentally inhaled makes me cough a lot. It's always quite a wonder to me when I pass someone who is smoking but it doesn't smell or make me cough at all because it came from a vape.

Trojita

Feb 9, 2009
I am not for banning anything..... but don't come out of it like a victim if you decide to vape and get sick like this idiot.
If you read the article the idiot went from vaping legal juul products to then vaping blackmarket fucked up thc vapes gotten from a friend or a dealer. Once again this is another case of someone getting sick because they used blackmarket shit. It's the spice thing all over again.

Edit: The illegal vaping also apparently made this 18 year old look like he is in his 30's.

Last edited:

DeuceGamer

Mar 12, 2012
If you read the article the idiot went from vaping legal juul products to then vaping blackmarket fucked up thc vapes gotten from a friend or a dealer. Once again this is another case of someone getting sick because they used blackmarket shit. It's the spice thing all over again.

Edit: The illegal vaping also apparently made this 18 year old look like he is in his 30's.
The ironic thing is banning the flavored Juice is only going to push more people to either get their supplies from the same black market that is responsible for the deaths and illness, or to return to traditional cigarettes, which are even more deadly.

As someone who has successfully stopped smoking traditional cigarettes and transitioned to ecigs, it’s super frustrating at all the inaccurate information flying around. I’ve had multiple doctors tell me that they prefer I stop smoking all together, but if that’s not a realistic option then it’s much safer to vape than smoke. Of course I’m not getting my supplies from a black market though.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I was reading into these stories a few days back, so apologies for no links. It seemed that at least NY state is under the belief that excessive Vitamin E might be the major factor in the sicknesses. I don't remember exactly how the article(s) was describing it, but it gave me the impression that people making cheap flavored nicotine and THC vapes might be using it almost like a cutting agent.