• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump assoc. Sater attempts quid pro quo arrangement with RU for Trump Tower Moscow

Pbae

What fucking idiots.

Don't they know the best way to pass on secrets is with a dead drop caches with preferably burnable paper documents or at least an encrypted USB drive.

What did the put in for the subject header?

TOP SECRET DON'T OPEN IF DEMOCRAT!: 10 TREASONS WHY WE SHOULD WORK WITH PUTIN!

At this point the main characters of The Americans show more nuance and moral ambivalence than some of these folks. And they are stone cold killers from the KGB.

I don't even know if this whole mess is making me more excited or uninterested for the final season. Real life needs to get better writers. This shit is not believable anymore.

We expect villains in fiction to be multi-dimensional because we know the ones in real life aren't.

Both the WaPo and NYT articles are vague on the timeline, which is an important detail if you're trying to get a handle on the collusion scenario.

This real estate deal seems to be happening at the end of 2015, when Trump had already announced he was running (and he dropped his reality show contract in February 2015 which suggested he was ready to move to something else then.)

So, assuming some collusion happened, did the Russians get onboard with his bid when he came into focus as a frontrunner?

I find the timeline intriguing because there is a ton of Russia-related activity around the RNC convention in July 2016 (Kislyak meets the principals including Jeff Sessions, GOP platform pivots on Russia, Paul Manafort, suspected recipient of laundered Russian money, is brought in, Carter Page goes to Russia, Steele dossier etc.)

We don't really have a lot of details about the stuff leading up to 2016, even the details of Trump's involvement with the Miss Universe pageant aren't all that clear. I want journalists to dig into the earlier stuff more.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Tens of thousands of e-mails from Podesta and nothing ever came close to this "villain monologues his entire evil plan" shit from these people.

It's amazing really.
If, hypothetically, Podesta and Clinton did anything wrong, they did a damn good job hiding it. Hell, they probably wouldn't use e-mail, they'd be smart and go with burner phones and direct communication.

Meanwhile, the actual people that want to ruin the country are laying all their plans out in easily traceable methods, outright screaming what they're doing.

Villains really are stupid.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Does Mueller have enough yet?? I mean come on

Its not even just a matter of having "enough". They have to make sure its all concrete, they need to connect all the dots without a shadow of a doubt and so on. This is only one small piece of what is no doubt a 30,000 piece Jig Saw puzzle.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Maybe we can make it pop a little more.

tower-t3-master675.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/us/politics/trump-tower-putin-felix-sater.html?_r=0

My mouth was hanging open reading that.

RDreamer

Its not even just a matter of having "enough". They have to make sure its all concrete, they need to connect all the dots without a shadow of a doubt and so on. This is only one small piece of what is no doubt a 30,000 piece Jig Saw puzzle.

They also have to make sure they can connect to anyone they want to get almost all at once, because once they start striking people the house of cards starts to fall and they probably can't gather much else.

LifEndz

Once Mueller does report the findings of his investigation to Congress it might do super bowl type ratings. The amount of illegal and unethical shit going on is just flat out mind blowing, and that's not even considering all the stuff did prior to campaigning for office.

"I arranged for Ivanka to sit in Putin's private chair at his desk and office in the Kremlin."

I wonder if anyone else is reading into that the same way I'm reading into that.

very odd, my next question is, was putin in the room?

because I highly doubt they let random people in the FRU high office

Once Mueller does report the findings of his investigation to Congress it might do super bowl type ratings. The amount of illegal and unethical shit going on is just flat out mind blowing, and that's not even considering all the stuff did prior to campaigning for office.

Mueller doesn't do it in a public hearing does he?

Guy.brush

The Trump admin season ending will get the best ratings. The highest. It's gonna be huge. Tremendous!
xiuLUMN.gif

leak here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7Uy0Uznw4E

My guess is it would be a televised hearing just because of how much attention and how much tax payer money was spent on this investigation.

A pittance is being spent on this investigation. Trumps excessive vacations cost us more. If we wants to save money he can dial back his travel budget to Obama levels.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It was really hard to get the title right. We only have 85 characters to work with and I wanted to strike the right balance.

- I can't just say "Sater" because the connection to Trump is important and no one knows who Sater is
- I didn't want to not say "Sater" because it turns out he's a hilarious character and people should know who he is, but also because in the absence of his name people will think it's someone a little closer to Trump and probably overplay this
- It had to say "attempts" because there's no evidence anything happened, but he's clearly trying to make it happen
- It's not illegal to build Trump Tower Moscow, but to me the interest is the idea that they were working on it at the same time as trying to get the Russians onboard supporting the candidacy, so the quid pro quo nature matters
- and I think probably the detail that this isn't just about getting Trump elected, but the general wheeling dealing self advancement and Trump doing his land deals is important.
- And we've got two sources so I can't fit them both, but also their stories are complimentary but disjoint.

chadskin

One more new story...
A top executive from Donald Trump’s real estate company emailed Vladi­mir Putin’s personal spokesman during the U.S. presidential campaign last year to ask for help advancing a stalled Trump Tower development project in Moscow, according to documents submitted to Congress Monday.

Michael Cohen, a Trump attorney and executive vice president for the Trump Organization, sent the email in January 2016 to Dmitry Peskov, the Kremlin’s top press aide.

“Over the past few months I have been working with a company based in Russia regarding the development of a Trump Tower - Moscow project in Moscow City,” Cohen wrote Peskov, according to a person familiar with the email. “Without getting into lengthy specifics. the communication between our two sides has stalled.”

“As this project is too important, I am hereby requesting your assistance. I respectfully request someone, preferably you, contact me so that I might discuss the specifics as well as arranging meetings with the appropriate individuals. I thank you in advance for your assistance and look forward to hearing from you soon,” Cohen wrote.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...5aebac-8c16-11e7-84c0-02cc069f2c37_story.html

snap

Banned
It was really hard to get the title right. We only have 85 characters to work with and I wanted to strike the right balance.

- I can't just say "Sater" because the connection to Trump is important and no one knows who Sater is
- I didn't want to not say "Sater" because it turns out he's a hilarious character and people should know who he is, but also because in the absence of his name people will think it's someone a little closer to Trump and probably overplay this
- It had to say "attempts" because there's no evidence anything happened, but he's clearly trying to make it happen
- It's not illegal to build Trump Tower Moscow, but to me the interest is the idea that they were working on it at the same time as trying to get the Russians onboard supporting the candidacy, so the quid pro quo nature matters
- and I think probably the detail that this isn't just about getting Trump elected, but the general wheeling dealing self advancement and Trump doing his land deals is important.
- And we've got two sources so I can't fit them both, but also their stories are complimentary but disjoint.

or you could go the other direction and make it "More smoke in Trump/Russia case, Trump still not impeached"

chadskin

Trump has a press conference with the Finnish president coming up at 4:20pm ET, perhaps worth tuning into now! (Unless Trump only calls on Breitbart reporters.)

This immediatly undercuts Cohen's response to the Sater story.

NYT said:
Mr. Cohen suggested that Mr. Sater’s comments were puffery. “He has sometimes used colorful language and has been prone to ‘salesmanship,’ ” Mr. Cohen said in a statement. “I ultimately determined that the proposal was not feasible and never agreed to make a trip to Russia.”

On one hand, it was all puffery and nothing moved forward, on the other we have more emails from Cohen moving the ball forward.

Mueller has to make sure his ducks are in an order for every arc he's going after. He also needs to make sure as many of these are state level crimes as he can, so he can run them through the NY AG because Trump sent a clear signal that he givith no fucks about using his pardon power.

Top Bottom