Trump Backs Off Initial Demand for Border Wall Funding, Potentially Averting Government Shutdown

嫩翼

so it's not nice
Apr 2, 2013
香港

Article Link.

At a heated, televised meeting last week, Pelosi firmly and repeatedly told Trump he did not have the votes – even in the departing GOP-controlled House – to approve the $5 billion he wants to build a physical wall on the southern border. Trump pushed back, saying it was Senate Democrats who would filibuster it, and so there was no point even trying in the House.

Democrats have offered $1.3 billion for border security, which Trump calls inadequate. And, in the newly offered $1.6 billion from Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, there is opposition. (information from MSNBC)

From linked article (~50% condensed):

President Trump on Tuesday retreated from his demand for $5 billion to build a border wall, as congressional Republicans maneuvered to avoid a partial government shutdown before funding expires at the end of Friday. But Democrats immediately rejected Republicans’ follow-up offer, leaving the two sides still at impasse as hundreds of thousands of federal workers await word on whether they will be sent home without pay just before Christmas.
White House press secretary Sarah Sanders on Tuesday said Trump did not want a government shutdown and that the administration had identified “other ways” to fund a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. Sanders’ comments Tuesday reflect a significant shift from when Trump last week told Democratic leaders he would be “proud” to shut down the government to get border wall funding.

Sanders said the White House was exploring other funding sources and believed it could be legally done.

“There are certainly a number of different funding sources that we’ve identified that we can use, that we can couple with money that would be given through congressional appropriations that would help us get to that $5 billion that the president needs in order to protect our border,” she said.
The apparent White house capitulation does not guarantee a shutdown will be averted.
The offer, Democrats say, calls on Congress to pass a bipartisan Senate homeland security spending bill that contains $1.6 billion in funding for border security. Congress would also reprogram $1 billion in unspent funds for use by Trump on immigration matters. Sen. Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) called McConnell Tuesday to reject the deal.
“We’ll continue to have these conversations with both Senate and House Republicans and Democrats. Our team has been in constant communication,” Sanders said. “We’re going to continue to do that. I’m not going to negotiate here, but we’ve been talking to them just as recently as this morning.” ...“The advice he’s getting is to not do this, to just sign the bill, get this over with, and get into 2019 and then have this fight,” said Steve Moore, who was an adviser to Trump during the 2016 campaign.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Well better than to shut the government down right? Seems like Trump is being reasonable here.

Heard he also wants to ban stocks on semi-auto guns.

Liberals heads might be exploding right now.

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
Well better than to shut the government down right? Seems like Trump is being reasonable here.

Seriously? Trump was the one threatening to shut down the government

I insist we remove your toenails.
Wait, I've changed my mind, we should not remove your toenails
I am reasonable

This is Trump losing. He made a threat to get his wall and it didn't work. He's rescinding that threat

Last edited:

Gunztrix

Mar 14, 2012
That wall was always a fantasy and the people who believe it played themselves. This is the right decision from the president and I give him props for that.

Heard he also wants to ban stocks on semi-auto guns.

What he's banning bump stcoks? This is fantastic!

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009
It's okay to admit that there will be no wall so he doesn't have to entertain his supporters with this theatre anymore.

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
I really hope the Dems nominate a normal person who is against any hard or soft tax increases on the middle class, and who tells the far left to just shut up. They'd probably get around 85% of the vote if they did.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Seriously? Trump was the one threatening to shut down the government

I insist we remove your toenails.
Wait, I've changed my mind, we should not remove your toenails
I am reasonable

This is Trump losing. He made a threat to get his wall and it didn't work. He's rescinding that threat
Which is why I said he is being reasonable. Would you rather he shut the government down over the wall funding? Or instead back of from his bluster and stop being such a blowhard and try to work on something?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
That wall was always a fantasy and the people who believe it played themselves. This is the right decision from the president and I give him props for that.

What he's banning bump stcoks? This is fantastic!
yup

surprised there isnt a thread yet

Trump Administration Imposes Ban on Bump Stocks

The Trump administration on Tuesday issued a new rule banning bump stocks, the attachments that enable semiautomatic rifles to fire in sustained, rapid bursts and that a gunman used to massacre 58 people and wound hundreds of others at a Las Vegas concert in October 2017.

The new regulation, which had been expected, would ban the sale or possession of the devices under a new interpretation of existing law. Americans who own bump stocks would have 90 days to destroy their devices or to turn them in to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. The Justice Department said A.T.F. would post destruction instructions on its website.

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
Which is why I said he is being reasonable. Would you rather he shut the government down over the wall funding? Or instead back of from his bluster and stop being such a blowhard and try to work on something?
While I agree it's good that he backed down, I don't think it makes sense to give him credit for solving a crisis he created.

The bump stocks thing, yes! Credit to Trump for being reasonable. This is not the same

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
May 17, 2018
I think it's only fair to avoid all this nonsense. He said Mexico was gong to pay for it. If he can't make that happen, it shouldn't come from tax payer dollars.

That is one promise he can't get away from. He said it so arrogantly, so loudly and so clearly. Trump locked himself in a cage with this.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
While I agree it's good that he backed down, I don't think it makes sense to give him credit for solving a crisis he created.

The bump stocks thing, yes! Credit to Trump for being reasonable. This is not the same
I wasn't giving him credit, just saying he was acting like a reasonable person for once. Its nice that he is chosing a more bi-partisan approach for now instead of going nuclear.

PkunkFury

Jun 17, 2004
USA
I wasn't giving him credit, just saying he was acting like a reasonable person for once. Its nice that he is chosing a more bi-partisan approach for now instead of going nuclear.
agreed, but want to be clear that acting unreasonable and shifting to the default when one doesn't get their way means they have simply realized their tactic isn't working, not that they are being reasonable.

If Trump's tactic had worked, he'd have a wall. Thus we shouldn't automatically applaud him for backing down, otherwise we've placed him in a win/win situation, where he can go to extremes and expect to be commended if he has to back down. We should remember he tried to use an extreme tactic and failed. Congrats to those who refused to budge when he went extreme (on both sides of the aisle) as it was their reasonable actions that prevented both government shutdown and wasteful spending

Last edited:

TheShadowLord

Jan 7, 2018
No because:

Sanders said the White House was exploring other funding sources and believed it could be legally done.

“There are certainly a number of different funding sources that we’ve identified that we can use, that we can couple with money that would be given through congressional appropriations that would help us get to that $5 billion that the president needs in order to protect our border,” she said.
:

He has also advocated of using the military to fund the wall if he couldn't get the votes the $5 billion. And Sarah Huckabee Sanders more and less suggested on Fox News:

Gunztrix

Mar 14, 2012
No because:

:

He has also advocated of using the military to fund the wall if he couldn't get the votes the $5 billion. And Sarah Huckabee Sanders more and less suggested on Fox News:
Wait so If they could just do that then why good throught this mayhem, double down on shutting the government down then backtrack?

I'll believe it when it actually seems real and not just smoke to distract from bad PR for the day.

kbear

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2007
The wall is something he’s absolutely gotta deliver on. It’s core. There’s no way to spin this... the entire campaign, Jesus Christ, the wall has to be built (Edit: or at least fully funded). What shot does Trump have in 2020 if his opponent can answer every single question he asks of him with “Where’s the wall, tho?”

It’s absolutely core. Ultimately it’s irrelevant how effective the thing ends up being at curbing illegal immigration. The campaign was built on the wall. He’s gotta get this one, no spinning it. Even the Fox News talking heads agree on this and of course it’s rare to see them criticize Trump so when you see a guy like Tucker Carlson shitting on Trump about a topic you know it’s important.

Last edited:

kbear

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2007
$700 billion annual budget for the military. I know it’s not as easy as saying “just redistribute $5 bil from there for the wall and we’re good” but Jesus seven hundred billion

Ixiah

Feb 16, 2018
Or just help south america with 5 instead of 10 billion, funny that they have so much money for something so useless....

Last edited:

TheGreatYosh

Jul 19, 2018
We went from Mexico is going to pay for the wall, to no wall, but we are going to give Mexico/Central America 10 billion of our taxpayer dollars. Idk about you guys, but I’m pretty sick of winning.