• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Trump: Black people built America

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Black Americans were about 15% of the total population, mostly concentrated in the agrar south.

One has many ways to interpret what entails building "this nation".

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
So the engineers that designed the iphone are equal to the assemblers in the factory?

mcz117chief

Sep 29, 2013
Bohemia
Contributed? Absolutely. Built? No. The original settlers were pretty much just white Europeans and even after if we are talking about slavery then it wasn't an exclusively black thing, there were plenty of white slaves. The statement sounds very reductionist.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2011
Can someone run this through a New York Times translator so I know how to feel about this statement. Thanks.

EDIT: Holy shit at the comment thread in that link. For as much as I might take others to task on here, I'm grateful that articulation is high and aggression is low over here. Geez.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
I don't think my statement is controversial at all.

Should we give work horses credit for building america as well? I mean they ploughed a lot of fields. I understand this is a controversial subject which borders on racism perhaps but its the truth. Best way to deal with it is to not talk about it at all and just move forward. And making ridiculous claims that black people had ANY hand in building America is laughable and what is worse is that some people actually believe that. This is part of the whole attack on reason and logic that has been going on for the past decade, It's no different than saying there are 86 genders, the world is flat, being a disgusting fatbody is beautiful ect ect. Just stop it.

Nobody_Important

Gold Member
May 22, 2018
I watched the video, he basically says black people had a bigger part in building the country then given credit for.

I don't really see an issue with what he said.
This.

I hate Trump with a passion but there is nothing wrong with what he said here. When it comes to the early days of our nation people tend to focus on slavery when it comes to black people in America, but their story goes far beyond that. Their contributions to the foundations of America cannot be overstated.

It wasn't just white Europeans that made America what it is. Alot of people from alot of places made America into what it is today.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
This is a great example of an actual dogwhistle. Trump isn't technically wrong because his statement can be interpreted several ways (hint: Trump operates in this fuzzy ambiguity all the time, which causes NPCs looking for binary meanings to short-circuit). Did he say black Americans exclusively built America? He didn't say that. But "black people built America" has been a rallying cry among some segments of the black community since the civil rights era. Trump's choice of words is intentional.

He is going after those Democrat plantation votes and I think he's gonna get them, not because of this single statement but because he has proven himself to be the friend of black Americans since he stepped into office.

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
It could be an extremely literal interpretation of one specific part. More likely it was just pandering. Coincidentally, San Francisco was not literally built on rock and roll.

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
It could be an extremely literal interpretation of one specific part. More likely it was just pandering. Coincidentally, San Francisco was not literally built on rock and roll.
Of course not, everyone knows San Francisco is built on shit and needles lol.

Don’t you remembah
We built this city on shit and neeeeeedles

Last edited:

azz0r

May 24, 2005
forums.wuggawoo.co.uk
Without white europeans there would never have been an America. Without black people there would still have been an America. I rest my case.
There would be, but it wouldn't be as advanced and built up as it was. Slaves built America under the oppression of whites.

Not that white people didn't graft, especially the last hundred years, but give the oppressed their due.

• LOL
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

Gashtronomy

Apr 19, 2019
Native Americans built America, which was taken over by the Spanish (iirc). The Spanish were kicked out by the Brits, the Brits kicked out by the turncoats.

The slaves played a big part in the prosperity of America, the west and of the British Empire. When people state that their ancestors were slaves, they see it as a horrible act. Look on the bright side of life; Slaves built a country where their children now live in peace, harmony and prosperity.

"A nation becomes great when men plant trees whose shade they know they will never sit in"

Reactions: DeafTourette

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Maybe Obama the asshole should step in and say, “Wait black people!! You didn’t build that!!”

because fuck him and anyone who thought he was a good president

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
He's not wrong.

Originally black folks came here as indentured servants. Some even were part of the fledgling government in the 1600s before the laws were changed and they became chattel slaves. Some even married white people.

Slaves built the White House, many of the monuments and buildings back then as well. Cotton and tobacco were tilled and picked by slaves which made the South rich.

Slaves were also in the North until the North outlawed slavery.

There's more that I'm not quite as knowledgeable on but yes... Black people contributed greatly to this country (not just the South) and were the fuel of the southern economy.

Airola

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
He's correct.

"You built the nation. We all built it, but you were such a massive part of it."

The clip lasts 23 seconds, and in that time he makes it clear what he means, but of course people are much more interested in what he says if only the most exciting (and maybe controversial) line gets quoted.

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
Maybe Obama the asshole should step in and say, “Wait black people!! You didn’t build that!!”

because fuck him and anyone who thought he was a good president
See that Lego set you just built? You didn't build that.
That hamburger! Yes, that one you just flipped and put on a bun. You didn't build that burger.
My son could be that burger. My son built that burger. If you like your burger, you can keep it. You can keep my son. That is my sacrifice for peace. I will run burgers across the border and drop them from the air with drones of love. It shall be a sign unto you. As the reverend said, "America's chickens are coming home to roost" at the table of Popeyes on Sundays. Amen!

• LOL
Reactions: HeresJohnny

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
People get offended by everything this guy says, no matter how benign.

PlI don't think my statement is controversial at all.

Should we give work horses credit for building america as well? I mean they ploughed a lot of fields. I understand this is a controversial subject which borders on racism perhaps but its the truth. Best way to deal with it is to not talk about it at all and just move forward. And making ridiculous claims that black people had ANY hand in building America is laughable and what is worse is that some people actually believe that. This is part of the whole attack on reason and logic that has been going on for the past decade, It's no different than saying there are 86 genders, the world is flat, being a disgusting fatbody is beautiful ect ect. Just stop it.
"I'm not racist, but black people are like horses" 🙄

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
Again not understanding the difference between being the brains of an operation and manual labour.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
Republicans don't let your inner prejudice get in the way of Trump getting more votes please. We're goin to need them, as many as can be. Don't turn away voters because you have a personal problem.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
Yeah man he’s right in a way. To say otherwise would be a fabrication. America was built by all races who came over and had a hand in the history of the country.

This laughable bullshit about “the brains” is silly lol as if paying someone else to do the work or straight up forcing them means u did the work. Give me a break

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
do you want the brains to get a special cookie or something
just a confirmation that im right is enough. i mean the brain surgeon is doing the operation not the nurse or the janitor that comes afterwards and mops the floor.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
just a confirmation that im right is enough. i mean the brain surgeon is doing the operation not the nurse or the janitor that comes afterwards and mops the floor.
Bad analogy.

The brain surgeon is doing the actual work. The physical labor.

Architects (the brains) may have designed the buildings and monuments of America but they didn't actually BUILD it. Design≠build

Reactions: Chunk Loves Sloth

Guynamedbilly

Feb 28, 2018
This is crazy talk. Of course the brain surgeon performs the brain surgery. What you are saying is more like asking who makes the hospital run. Of course the surgeon draws patients in, but would they stay if the hospital looked like a cesspool hellhole?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
TIL I didn’t actually do any work for the past 2 decades and neither did any of my supervisors it was all the people that own the company at the very top. Even my boss they didn’t do any work bc they have bosses.

:messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat::messenger_grinning_sweat:

Kind of amazing how all a company needs is an owner and everything magically happens lol.

Hey u don’t need janitors in a hospital just have the brain surgeon come in an hour early and clean everything! Also no need for secretaries why not let the brain surgeon schedule all their appointments too? /s

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
But he has a point, everything is important, and labor pays the bills. Brain surgeons do the labor fyi.
Actually no
Brain surgeons do the high skill level work and nurses do the labor

ask any doctor and they will tell you that nurses are there to do the grunt work.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Actually no
Brain surgeons do the high skill level work and nurses do the labor

ask any doctor and they will tell you that nurses are there to do the grunt work.
In this analogy the surgeon is still labor. The hospital board would actually be the "the brains".

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Makariel

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Good on Trump. Black people are just as much a part of America. Regardless of what the media says Trump doesn't have problems with black people, and as long as they love America and put on a MAGA hat he loves em back and will embrace them.

There is nothing wrong with recognizing the contributions blacks have made to the country. Now maybe if Dems stopped the genocide of the womb and pandering to illegals Blacks could accomplish even more.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Black people did indeed add to the fabric of our country, but so did the Chinese, Irish, Italian, German, French, Dutch, English, Native tribes..so on and so on.

Or if you want to get to brass tacks, Frank Lloyd Wright buildings are called F.L. Wright buildings because he architected them as well as engineered building materials, many brand new and custom for said buildings as well as laying materials down as well. He did it with help from his students and hired laborers. However, the structures are always named for him not the laborers.

No one person can lay claim to building America, no one ethnic group either, but to say Black people built this nation is not only incorrect, but a disservice to everyone else involved, particularly the laws, culture and language that allowed such a nation to be built.

Reactions: Panda1

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
And what about the scientists and doctors who figured out human brain anatomy so the brain surgeon could do his job? By your logic they should get all the credit. Honestly laborers not getting enough credit and reward for their contributions is my main gripe with American corporatism.

Great minds helped shape America, but they didn't do it in a vacuum.

Reactions: DeafTourette