• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Trump: Black people built America

Aug 22, 2018
labor is important as design, not seeing what's wrong with what he said
Anyone can labor, slave labor actually had around a 4% profit margin benefit over paid labor after cost for food, housing, medicine, and slaves themselves were considered.
Slaves were also confined largely to southern agriculture which was not the back bone of the Nation's finances at any point in its history. Even Cereals grown in the north was a larger economic product than "King Cotton"

The people who built America were the (largely European)visionaries you read about in American History, their intellectual capital forged the industrial revolution and increased productivity in the nation more than anyone's inefficient physical labor could do. Perhaps it's time we stop skirting around the truth in favor of people's feelings.

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Don't forget the Irish and Chinese.... Oh wait people only care about blacks these days... So trendy.
The Chinese built the railroads in the American west. They helped build the buildings out there along with the Irish and Italians (who mainly stayed on the east coast but some were in the west as well) ... Freed slaves also contributed.

It's almost as if saying white people alone built America is factually incorrect.

Oct 26, 2018
I watched the video, he basically says black people had a bigger part in building the country then given credit for.

I don't really see an issue with what he said.
Clickbaiters biggest enemy:

A. Other clickbaiters posting articles before them

B. Not being able to spin content effectively

C. Users who actually read or watch the material

D. All of the above

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
Anyone can labor, slave labor actually had around a 4% profit margin benefit over paid labor after cost for food, housing, medicine, and slaves themselves were considered.
Slaves were also confined largely to southern agriculture which was not the back bone of the Nation's finances at any point in its history. Even Cereals grown in the north was a larger economic product than "King Cotton"

The people who built America were the (largely European)visionaries you read about in American History, their intellectual capital forged the industrial revolution and increased productivity in the nation more than anyone's inefficient physical labor could do. Perhaps it's time we stop skirting around the truth in favor of people's feelings.
anyone can do anything, not sure what your point is

Last edited:
  • Triggered
Reactions: TheGreatYosh
Aug 22, 2018
anyone can do anything, not sure what you point is
If anyone could accomplish anything, the world would be much different, some people can't think further than what they will have for lunch in ten minutes and they tend to be impulsive, unsuccessful imbecils. The visionaries who shaped our world were no less than anomalous geniuses, presenting new and better solutions to problems people hadn't even realized were problems yet.
The point is that with few exceptions, the people who built this country were Forward thinkers and innovators, not labororers or farmers. What laborers provided was a constant source of basic human needs required to ensure that geniuses could be elevated to a degree enough that problems could be solved. More over, the south during slavery wasn't feeding the entire country, given grains and cereals were primarily an export of the North. The south grew mostly export crops like cotton, the majority of wealth in the south was very concentrated to a degree that would make wealth distribution today blush, you were either a subsistence farmer or a plantation magnate with little in between.

So when Donald suggests that anything related to the South built America, nevermind suggesting that ancestors of slaves were somehow a driving force, despite the Industrial North actually being the architect of the US, should we take him seriously?
Should African Americans take such a fallacious statement seriously to the point of practically insulting their intelligence for politcal benefit?

Reactions: TheGreatYosh

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
If anyone could accomplish anything, the world would be much different, some people can't think further than what they will have for lunch in ten minutes and they tend to be impulsive, unsuccessful imbecils. The visionaries who shaped our world were no less than anomalous geniuses, presenting new and better solutions to problems people hadn't even realized were problems yet.
The point is that with few exceptions, the people who built this country were Forward thinkers and innovators, not labororers or farmers. What laborers provided was a constant source of basic human needs required to ensure that geniuses could be elevated to a degree enough that problems could be solved. More over, the south during slavery wasn't feeding the entire country, given grains and cereals were primarily an export of the North. The south grew mostly export crops like cotton, the majority of wealth in the south was very concentrated to a degree that would make wealth distribution today blush, you were either a subsistence farmer or a plantation magnate with little in between.

So when Donald suggests that anything related to the South built America, nevermind suggesting that ancestors of slaves were somehow a driving force, despite the Industrial North actually being the architect of the US, should we take him seriously?
Should African Americans take such a fallacious statement seriously to the point of practically insulting their intelligence for politcal benefit?
i don't disagree with any of the first paragraph, i'm always touting price's law and drumming on about the meritocracy

don't see how it's fallacious tho to state a fact

Airola

Jun 25, 2015
Finland
Should we give work horses credit for building america as well? I mean they ploughed a lot of fields. I understand this is a controversial subject which borders on racism perhaps but its the truth. Best way to deal with it is to not talk about it at all and just move forward. And making ridiculous claims that black people had ANY hand in building America is laughable and what is worse is that some people actually believe that.
When a man rides a horse to the next city, the man can't say he traveled there all on his own with his feet. If a farmer claims he turned the ground over by himself when he used more powerful animal or a machine than him to do most of the hard labor, that farmer both lies and exaggerates his own physical skills.

America was built by people using animals and machines. Blacks and whites are included in "people", blacks and whites are not included in "animals" and "machines" even if both of them do similar things than humans do. If you try to claim blacks weren't part of those people, then your claim is blacks were part of either animals or machines separate from people, and to that I will say fuck off. It does not only "border on racism" but it also goes over the line of dehumanizing people.

TeamGhobad

Oct 15, 2018
When a man rides a horse to the next city, the man can't say he traveled there all on his own with his feet. If a farmer claims he turned the ground over by himself when he used more powerful animal or a machine than him to do most of the hard labor, that farmer both lies and exaggerates his own physical skills.

America was built by people using animals and machines. Blacks and whites are included in "people", blacks and whites are not included in "animals" and "machines" even if both of them do similar things than humans do. If you try to claim blacks weren't part of those people, then your claim is blacks were part of either animals or machines separate from people, and to that I will say fuck off. It does not only "border on racism" but it also goes over the line of dehumanizing people.
America was built by White Europeans that travelled to America and colonized it. They used animals and slaves to build the nation. It is a product of their endeavour nobody else's, this is an OBJECTIVE truth. This will be my last post in this thread.

• Triggered
Reactions: Nobody_Important

Trey

Mar 3, 2010
True indeed, Mr. Trump. And it was on the backs of free labor, which was enforced by a violent and systemic code of laws which dehumanized, killed, and exploited said laborers against their will.

So we all agree people should be compensated for their work, so pay all those people you've stiffed.

finowns

May 10, 2009
That statement is hyperbole that you hear often, I think it's a little cringey but whatever. The real reasons are European germs that wiped out the native population and the fact that the Europeans were the Michael Jordans of civilizations from about the 16th century to the 20th century (with a special nod to England). No one could compete with them.

Sycomunkee

Jan 21, 2019
White people didn’t really give them a say into the matter. Trump is a fucking moron.

finowns

May 10, 2009
TeamGhobad TeamGhobad your getting a bit too much into the metaphor. Did black people make contributions to our country? Yes. Can it be comparable to the freakish Europeans of the Age of Exploration? Of course not. But I get trying to get everyone to come together, or whatever people do when they patronize, I agree it's cringe.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
anyone can do anything, not sure what your point is
That ain’t true at all

we’re all different, and remember, we are not equal at all things

we are created equally, But we are not all equal.

some people are faster than you. Some people are smarter than you. Some people are dumber than you. Some people play soccer better than you. Some people paint better than you. Some people play drums better than you. Some people run slower than you....etc

you could practice doing all the things above AS MUCH AS YOU WANT, and you will still not be as good as John Doe at some of them. And vice versa.

Talent and Skill are two different things

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Cybrwzrd

ArchaeEnkidu

Vincit qui se vincit
Jan 30, 2018
That ain’t true at all

we’re all different, and remember, we are not equal at all things

we are created equally, But we are not all equal.

some people are faster than you. Some people are smarter than you. Some people are dumber than you. Some people play soccer better than you. Some people paint better than you. Some people play drums better than you. Some people run slower than you....etc

you could practice doing all the things above AS MUCH AS YOU WANT, and you will still not be as good as John Doe at some of them. And vice versa.

Talent and Skill are two different things
Anyone can learn to be skilled in something. Talent just gives that person a boost at the gate. Just because someone may be talented in painting doesn't mean you can't surpass them with enough practice, studying, and patience.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Anyone can learn to be skilled in something. Talent just gives that person a boost at the gate. Just because someone may be talented in painting doesn't mean you can't surpass them with enough practice, studying, and patience.
Incorrect

no matter how much I try I’m not gonna be able to carry a 250 pound man down a ladder from a burning building. We’re not all equal. Many men are naturally way stronger than I am.
No matter how much you practice you will never be able to play the drums as well as Buddy Rich or Chris Adler. It’s a natural born gift.

Last edited:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
A one legged man is not going to be winning gold medals in ass kicking contests.

A person with an IQ of 80 is not going to be a theoretical physicist, or a brilliant brain surgeon, no matter how hard they study.

A blind person will never draw photorealistic paintings.

So, I'd disagree.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Reactions: Tumle

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
feel like the argument is less

"Can a blind man paint?"

and more

"We have a baseball game where one team has been playing by wearing 50lb backpacks for 8 innings, letting the other team ring up a score of 100, and just before the last inning, we are allowing the handicapped team to remove the backpacks, making it a fair game. So it's a fair game! Sure the score is 100 to 3, but it's a totally fair game now, you should have a good chance of winning and if you don't it's cos x y and z that have nothing to do with the 50lb backpacks you were saddled with for most of the game!"

Last edited:
  • Fire
Reactions: DeafTourette

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
We
Are
Not
Equal

Stop the bullshit semantics!

This blind man is already a natural artist!!! Some of you can practice and take lessons allllll your life and you’ll never be able to do that! Why? Because we’re not equal

equal means THE SAME AT EVERYTHING assholes!!

we are not!!!

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
We
Are
Not
Equal

Stop the bullshit semantics!

This blind man is already a natural artist!!! Some of you can practice and take lessons allllll your life and you’ll never be able to do that! Why? Because we’re not equal

equal means THE SAME AT EVERYTHING assholes!!

we are not!!!
You actually don't know that. It's not so black and white like that with art. Countless millions can get that good. You just don't know.

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
You actually don't know that. It's not so black and white like that with art. Countless millions can get that good. You just don't know.
What?! Are you serious?

There are people who take drawing classes for years and still draw like shit. No concept of shading. No concept of creating edges...

There are children who are 6 years old who can put pencil to paper in a much better way than that with no education at all.

why are you fighting this? We are not the same. why the hell would you want to be the same as everybody else?

some people are smarter than me. Some people are dumber than me. Most people can’t play drums like me even with tons of years of experience. Most people are taller than me. Most people have less hair than me. Most people make more money than me. Most people have an uglier wife than I have. youre probably better at ice hockey than I am....

i’m not talking about learning how to work a cash register or a program at work. Those are skills that we can all get good at equally. I’m talking about talent

we are not equally talented - practice all you want you’re not gonna be able to beat Serena Williams at tennis

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
you're not gonna see me argue against the meritocracy or say something goofy like we're all equally talented (or capable), lawls

10% of the population are basically useless (even the military won't take them) as their iq scores are so poor that nobody will trust them to do anything

i'm the hardliner who thinks inequality in the system is a good thing

that's not really the point i was making, it was more that 'all men are created equal' insofar as people should be treated (and recognized)

Last edited:
Reactions: Eiknarf

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
THIS IS RACIST! Building America on the back of blacks!

THIS IS SOCIAL INEQUALITY! You elitists looking down from your ivory towers laughing at the laborers.

THIS IS SEXIST! Because of men.

Vicetrailia

Mar 12, 2019
What?! Are you serious?

There are people who take drawing classes for years and still draw like shit. No concept of shading. No concept of creating edges...

There are children who are 6 years old who can put pencil to paper in a much better way than that with no education at all.

why are you fighting this? We are not the same. why the hell would you want to be the same as everybody else?

some people are smarter than me. Some people are dumber than me. Most people can’t play drums like me even with tons of years of experience. Most people are taller than me. Most people have less hair than me. Most people make more money than me. Most people have an uglier wife than I have. youre probably better at ice hockey than I am....

i’m not talking about learning how to work a cash register or a program at work. Those are skills that we can all get good at equally. I’m talking about talent

we are not equally talented - practice all you want you’re not gonna be able to beat Serena Williams at tennis
Obviously we're not all created equal, but your talent vs no talent points just aren't that good.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Obviously we're not all created equal, but your talent vs no talent points just aren't that good.
So I should keep adding everything until the less smart people get it? Hahaha get it?
Some people are instantly understanding what I’m writing. Others aren’t

Ok, your wish is my demand

some people ski better than others. Some people play basketball way better than others. No matter how great you are at basketball, if you’re 5 foot 3 inches and amazing, you will never be as good as an average NBA player. Why? Because we are not equal.

some people can become brain surgeons. I cannot become a brain surgeon. Doesn’t matter how long I go to school. I’m not gonna become one. It’s not in me.

Last edited:

Zefah

Jan 7, 2007
I don't think my statement is controversial at all.

Should we give work horses credit for building america as well? I mean they ploughed a lot of fields. I understand this is a controversial subject which borders on racism perhaps but its the truth. Best way to deal with it is to not talk about it at all and just move forward. And making ridiculous claims that black people had ANY hand in building America is laughable and what is worse is that some people actually believe that. This is part of the whole attack on reason and logic that has been going on for the past decade, It's no different than saying there are 86 genders, the world is flat, being a disgusting fatbody is beautiful ect ect. Just stop it.
Man... it's really unfortunate that you believe this.

Of course black people had a huge hand in building this country. So have many groups of immigrants and migrant laborers (indentured servants and otherwise). Just because they didn't get a seat at the table when developing the constitution or just because they weren't in a position of wealth and power to make major decisions about when and where things would get built doesn't mean they did not contribute greatly to making America. You're also completely ignoring any contributions after slavery was abolished and black people continued to build communities as citizens and do great things in this country.

Ugly stuff in that post.

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Man... it's really unfortunate that you believe this.

Of course black people had a huge hand in building this country. So have many groups of immigrants and migrant laborers (indentured servants and otherwise). Just because they didn't get a seat at the table when developing the constitution or just because they weren't in a position of wealth and power to make major decisions about when and where things would get built doesn't mean they did not contribute greatly to making America. You're also completely ignoring any contributions after slavery was abolished and black people continued to build communities as citizens and do great things in this country.

Ugly stuff in that post.
Also doesn't take into account that Slavery was in a major decline by the time of the founding, and many believed that it would be gone completely by the 1820s. That was until the Cotton Gin was invented, by a black man. Yep a black man can be credited for the elongation of slavery in the US.

Jenenser

Jul 30, 2013
So I should keep adding everything until the less smart people get it? Hahaha get it?
Some people are instantly understanding what I’m writing. Others aren’t
ohhh, the irony.
with all this massive intellect of yours, you are still talkin past each other.