• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Trump calls on Americans, Big Tech to help ensure peaceful transition: 'NO violence'

ManaByte

Gold Member
Jun 10, 2004
California
manabyte.com

"In light of reports of more demonstrations, I urge that there must be NO violence, NO lawbreaking and NO vandalism of any kind," the president said in a statement to Fox News. "That is not what I stand for and it is not what America stands for. I call on ALL Americans to help ease tensions and calm tempers. Thank You."

This comes off as him campaigning to get unbanned from Twitter.

Vestal

Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
I would say its just another layer of CYA to prevent impeachment getting any traction.... but who am I kidding. Facts do not matter to those who hate him. Just yesterday Hillary Clinton was pushing the "fine people" lie.... YEARS after it has been widely know to be a lie. But hey maybe it will swing a couple moderate GOP back in his camp.
Just curious.. What exactly is the "Fine People" lie? I mean he said it, clear as day for everyone to hear.

Arkam

Jan 21, 2012
Here, Now and maybe later
Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA
This is from yesterday:
Its not his main topic (as he is there for the Wall and CBP) but he uses clear language disavowing the violence.

I did watch last night and I do appreciate the response. I just wish he would have a direct conference about the events. He could, for example, call on congress to have a bi-partisan commission go over the events, their causes, and come up with recommended actions to resolve the issue.

Vestal

Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
Well here is the entire exchange were that line comes from. He fucked it up and later on tried to clean it up, but the very fine people stuff was his response to a very specific question..
According to a transcript from the White House, the Trump quote in question was in response to a reporter who asked, "Mr. President, are you putting what you’re calling the alt-left and white supremacists on the same moral plane?"

Trump responded: "Excuse me, excuse me. They didn’t put themselves — and you had some very bad people in that group, but you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides."

Again he is his own worst enemy when it comes to saying a single thing in public.

Udham

Mar 3, 2011
Its not his main topic (as he is there for the Wall and CBP) but he uses clear language disavowing the violence.

Politics is all about appearances. This is nothing more than a cheap apology that no one believes.
In his defense, he didn't expect Jan 6 to be that bad, he just couldn't put the genie back in the bottle, neither could disavow it.

But lets cut to the chase, his presidency came down crashing at Four Seasons Total Landscaping.
Rest all is gaudy chutzpah.

Last edited:

O.v.e.rlord

Oct 8, 2014
To late captain retard. You made this mess with this whole, "stop the steal". You rallied your base, and aimed them right at the heart of the country. This is just a damage control at this point.

Vestal

Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
Find me a single instance, over the last 4 years, of Trump calling for violent acts.
You don't need to flat out call for violence if you use rhetoric to trigger a reaction from the listener and be held liable for it.

Example.. If you continue to tell your friend(whom is known to have a temper) that his wife is sleeping around, because reasons. Telling your friend how disgusting the multiple guys she has been sleeping with are. How she just basically sells herself to the highest bidder, all the while knowing that what you are saying is a lie.. If he ends up beating the crap out of his wife, or killing her, you would be responsible for what happened.

Nov 29, 2016
Find me a single instance, over the last 4 years, of Trump calling for violent acts.

He doesnt call for violent acts directly, hes not that dumb but give me a fuckin break when he tells followers for months that the election will be rigged and doesnt agree to a peaceful transition for months. Then after the election continues to tell people that he won in a landslide and that, not only is he being royally screwed, but they are and that the democratic process has been completely subverted and their country is being stolen from them.

Legally, Im not sure you could prosecute him on an incitement charge in a criminal case but he knows he's dancing on that line all the time. This really does read like hes trying to cover his ass and get back on Twitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: RaduN and InDaGulag

e&e

Nov 17, 2020
I didn’t say this.

Read what was posted in the thread again, that doesn’t even sound like something Trump would say. He has been the most divisive president on record in modern times spewing terrible rhetoric and has awful character to boot...

Edit: Damn phone autocorrects.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Bitmap Frogs

Gold Member
Dec 26, 2008
Spain
Politics is all about appearances. This is nothing more than a cheap apology that no one believes.
In his defense, he didn't expect Jan 6 to be that bad, he just couldn't put the genie back in the bottle, neither could disavow it.

He could've conceded.

This is part of the reason losing candidates concede: it signals to their base that the fight is over and it's time to build for the next one.

In 4 years there'll be another presidential and hopefully the losing candidate will do a concession speech and I hope you all remember why they are important and why people do them.

Kreen101

Sep 4, 2019
Well here is the entire exchange were that line comes from. He fucked it up and later on tried to clean it up, but the very fine people stuff was his response to a very specific question..
It's an absolute truth that among the so-called "Unite the Right" rally participants, there were very fine people -- ordinary, non-violent Americans and even Canadians -- who are no more to be condemned than any non-violent person who takes part in a march for BLM or any far-left organization. It was not a "white supremacist" or even "white nationalist" event but a so-called "alt-right" event. Of course, if it's considered beyond the pale to be in favor of restricting immigration, then yes they were all monsters. But it's weird how you can be in favor of more immigration but never of less.

It's also amazing to me how, when there are bad apples in a left-wing group or event, or particularly when it comes, for instance, to Islam, the mantra is: "but they don't represent the whole!" But when it comes to a right-wing, populist, alt-right event, then every single person is stereotyped and caricatured based on its worst elements.

Finally, a weird contradiction is that, if the violence at the Capitol is the result of Trump's svengali-like control of his followers, then banning him from Twitter is counter--intuitive, as this order from Trump NOT to be violent might not reach his supporters because he is not on Twitter.

QSD

Nov 8, 2020
Amsterdam
www.quixoticsounddesign.com
So if I read between the lines and infer what he is saying, he is calling to blow up the capitol, rape Nancy Pelosi, and cut off Pences head?
Dude I think I am using the same method as you but maybe I'm messing up the numerology or how to place the 5d chess pieces, but I keep getting "blow Pence" as the first injunction...

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: cryptoadam

Udham

Mar 3, 2011
He could've conceded.

This is part of the reason losing candidates concede: it signals to their base that the fight is over and it's time to build for the next one.

I think he was hoping a fairy tale ending...alas.

All he needed was a structured approach so if not this one then the next one...
All he got was devils on his shoulders & nutjobs around him telling him... "You're the storm"

• Fire
Reactions: Bitmap Frogs

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
May 8, 2014
Did some edit out the "😉" that was supposed to be after all the "NO"s?

Kreen101

Sep 4, 2019
You don't need to flat out call for violence if you use rhetoric to trigger a reaction from the listener and be held liable for it.

Example.. If you continue to tell your friend(whom is known to have a temper) that his wife is sleeping around, because reasons. Telling your friend how disgusting the multiple guys she has been sleeping with are. How she just basically sells herself to the highest bidder, all the while knowing that what you are saying is a lie.. If he ends up beating the crap out of his wife, or killing her, you would be responsible for what happened.
What? Of course not. People have agency and you can't avoid responsibility for violent acts by claiming someone made you angry.

Vestal

Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
It's an absolute truth that among the so-called "Unite the Right" rally participants, there were very fine people -- ordinary, non-violent Americans and even Canadians -- who are no more to be condemned than any non-violent person who takes part in a march for BLM or any far-left organization. It was not a "white supremacist" or even "white nationalist" event but a so-called "alt-right" event. Of course, if it's considered beyond the pale to be in favor of restricting immigration, then yes they were all monsters. But it's weird how you can be in favor of more immigration but never of less.

It's also amazing to me how, when there are bad apples in a left-wing group or event, or particularly when it comes, for instance, to Islam, the mantra is: "but they don't represent the whole!" But when it comes to a right-wing, populist, alt-right event, then every single person is stereotyped and caricatured based on its worst elements.

Finally, a weird contradiction is that, if the violence at the Capitol is the result of Trump's svengali-like control of his followers, then banning him from Twitter is counter--intuitive, as this order from Trump NOT to be violent might not reach his supporters because he is not on Twitter.
While you may be right about "fine people", the imagery from Charlottesville is summed up to two things, White men with Tiki Torches all wearing the same uniform and chanting "Jews will not Replace us, You will not Replace us", and the car plowing through the crowd of counter protestors. Those two images are cemented in the minds of Americans forever, and it is difficult to dissociate the attendees from those images. So those fine people remained there and stood side by side to the White Nationalist that on the night before were spewing that hateful crap.

Vestal

Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
What? Of course not. People have agency and you can't avoid responsibility for violent acts by claiming someone made you angry.
Both the person who perpetrated the crime and the person who through his lies incited it would both be responsible. Its an extreme example, but it drives home the point. You don't need to ask for violence if your rhetoric is based on miss information and lies in order to incite your audience. You can't keep crying wolf over and over and not expect a reaction from your audience.

highrider

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
While you may be right about "fine people", the imagery from Charlottesville is summed up to two things, White men with Tiki Torches all wearing the same uniform and chanting "Jews will not Replace us, You will not Replace us", and the car plowing through the crowd of counter protestors. Those two images are cemented in the minds of Americans forever, and it is difficult to dissociate the attendees from those images. So those fine people remained there and stood side by side to the White Nationalist that on the night before were spewing that hateful crap.

Did they though? You’re saying unless you’re for the summary elimination of large swaths of American History you’re standing hand in hand with supremacists? Nice 👌😬

Vestal

Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
Did they though? You’re saying unless you’re for the summary elimination of large swaths of American History you’re standing hand in hand with supremacists? Nice 👌😬
Sorry but in this particular subject of Confederate Statues you are not going to find a friend in me. I don't think glorifying losers is a winning strategy :)

Ragnarok

Jan 14, 2005
After the crazies crazy it up I can't wait for the media to tell me this was coded language used to actually incite.

NO, violence!
NO, lawbreaking!
NO, vandalism!

God I hope the crazies just stay at home, crack open a 6-pack and stick to ranting at their wives.

QuantumZebra

Dec 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA
I did watch last night and I do appreciate the response. I just wish he would have a direct conference about the events. He could, for example, call on congress to have a bi-partisan commission go over the events, their causes, and come up with recommended actions to resolve the issue.

That is *way* too much effort for a guy who survives off people stroking his own ego and could not care less about anyone else.

Reactions: InDaGulag

Kreen101

Sep 4, 2019

This is a very important point, as it really is the case that events get reduced to a few images that end up being all that people remember. But since those images are usually communicated by people by media organizations that are known to select what they show and how they frame it, Trump was 100 % right to pushback against the narrative, which was so eager to paint the event as a bunch of KKK wannabes.

highrider

Dec 18, 2010
washington d.c.
Sorry but in this particular subject of Confederate Statues you are not going to find a friend in me. I don't think glorifying losers is a winning strategy :)
I’m not looking for a friends so that’s ok, yes I’m sure you think that way, you’d kind of have to. Its a stupid way to think and I hope you are able to refine your perspectives as you mature.

• Fire
Reactions: Shodan09

Kreen101

Sep 4, 2019
You don't need to ask for violence if your rhetoric is based on miss information and lies in order to incite your audience. You can't keep crying wolf over and over and not expect a reaction from your audience.
But you might as well forbid any political speech then -- aside from politically-correct platitudes. But since those ARE ideological and reinforce the status quo, it's like saying, "the Establishment is here to stay, don't oppose it, just live with it."

I mean, "the election was stolen from us" is a line that I've heard many times in the years following George W. Bush's election. Michael Moore famously called GWB a "fictitious president" at the Academy Awards, and he was not alone in the bienpensant Left to think so. And unless I'm mistaken, a case can be made today that GWB indeed never actually won that election in Florida.

Oct 10, 2018
www.kickstarter.com
I don't know why he's doing this, the people who like him don't care, the people obsessed with him won't say this is a concession and they should still fight, the people that hate him will pretend he didn't say anything.

Reactions: Bobnob

e&e

Nov 17, 2020
This is what a great President would do.

Last edited:

Vestal

Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
But you might as well forbid any political speech then -- aside from politically-correct platitudes. But since those ARE ideological and reinforce the status quo, it's like saying, "the Establishment is here to stay, don't oppose it, just live with it."

I mean, "the election was stolen from us" is a line that I've heard many times in the years following George W. Bush's election. Michael Moore famously called GWB a "fictitious president" at the Academy Awards, and he was not alone in the bienpensant Left to think so. And unless I'm mistaken, a case can be made today that GWB indeed never actually won that election in Florida.
There is a difference though.. In this case you had the sitting President and a sizable apparatus of the GOP saying the election was stolen. The messenger gives more credence to the lie. Even though I think what happened in Florida was screwed up beyond belief, after all the court cases Gore conceded and he himself certified the election in January just as Pence did last week. I don't give a lot of stock to anything Michael Moore says, and any of his docs I take with a grain of salt until I can verify the information. During this cycle you also had these outside "agitators" like Wood and Powell, pouring kerosene into the fire with some really out of this world conspiracies that then reverberated through the Right.

• LOL
Reactions: e&e and Shodan09

Vestal

Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
I’m not looking for a friends so that’s ok, yes I’m sure you think that way, you’d kind of have to. Its a stupid way to think and I hope you are able to refine your perspectives as you mature.
Did I sleep through history class or something? The Confederacy lost, and on top of that they represent a pretty dark fucking chapter of our History. Teach it, showcase them in a museum, but don't idolize traitors of our Republic which is what monuments and statues are.

• LOL
Reactions: Shodan09

InDaGulag

Oct 9, 2020
The Other Place
Trump cares more about his Twitter account than leading his own country. If he had committed to a peaceful transition of power and had accepted the results months ago, none of this would have happened.

Reactions: MastaKiiLA

Kreen101

Sep 4, 2019
There is a difference though.. In this case you had the sitting President and a sizable apparatus of the GOP saying the election was stolen. The messenger gives more credence to the lie.
But Trump and apparently 40 % of Americans do believe there was fraud. So it's not a "lie" in the true meaning of the word; they may be misguided, they may be wrong, they may be unhelpful, but they're not lying as far as they are concerned.

Also, they'll tell you they didn't want the election overturned so much as that there be a complete audit and verification. Basically they're saying that everything that could have been done to confirm there was no fraud wasn't done.

Reactions: dusty_cookies

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Go Away Reaction GIF

• LOL
Reactions: Maiden Voyage

Vestal

Sep 26, 2007
Tampa FL
But Trump and apparently 40 % of Americans do believe there was fraud. So it's not a "lie" in the true meaning of the word; they may be misguided, they may be wrong, they may be unhelpful, but they're not lying as far as they are concerned.

Also, they'll tell you they didn't want the election overturned so much as that there be a complete audit and verification. Basically they're saying that everything that could have been done to confirm there was no fraud wasn't done.
Going by that number, 40% of americans believe that narrative because Trump fed it to them, even prior to the election. Look if this had come down to 1 state like in 2000, then maybe that argument could hold water. But they were contesting the election on not 1 state, but was it 5 or 6 states? Arguing different issues in each and every state. 2 of those states run by Republicans.. Its such an outrageous concept to consider when they couldn't present any verifiable evidence of their claims. 2 months after the election, they still couldn't come up with 1 single smoking gun in any of these states.

This is not an isolated incident either. This is the way he has conducted his Presidency since the start. Its been 4 years and I am still waiting to see the Republican Healthcare plan to replace the ACA. I am still waiting to see the receipts for Mexico paying for the wall. Wasn't he going to Lock Up Hillary? All of these things have been part of his stump speech for well over 4 years now and none of them have come to pass, but hey they play to the crowd right? Just like "stop the steal".

MastaKiiLA

Jun 11, 2020
A big fan of the confederacy, ay? How often does the defeated side get to erect statues of their clown-ass soldiers as some celebration of history decades after they rightfully got their asses kicked, and forced to surrender? That's a load of bullshit.

For one, confederate leaders weren't even good at their jobs. How do we know? The confederacy doesn't exist anymore. Morons don't usually get statues. Secondly, most of the statues went up coinciding with a bunch of racists who wanted to intimidate minorities, specifically black people.

Keep beating that drum. We all assume it's a bunch of morons idolizing their own kind.