• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump campaign advisor Roger Stone admits contact with Guccifer 2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
@samsteinhp
well. Roger Stone acknowledges talking to Guccifer 2.0 but says it was innocuous

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/mar/10/roger-stone-trump-confidant-acknowledges-innocuous/

The link is from the Moonie Times but it has a direct quote from Stone in it so I am running with it.

Roger Stone, President Trump's former campaign advisor, engaged privately last year with a persona involved in hacking the Democratic National Committee, he told The Washington Times Friday, but insisted the conversations were ”completely innocuous."
”It was so perfunctory, brief and banal I had forgotten it," the political consultant told The Times on Friday with respect to a private Twitter exchange he had with ”Guccifer 2.0," a pseudonymous entity explicitly tied to the DNC hack.

Guccifer 2.0 appeared last summer shortly after it was revealed that the DNC's computer network had been breached by hackers. The self-described Romanian hacktivist claimed in a June 15 blog post that he had compromised the DNC — not Russian hackers, as experts had indicated — and said he had supplied WikiLeaks with a trove of documents ultimately published by the antisecrecy website the following month.

Mr. Stone wrote an article for Breitbart News on Aug. 5 attributing the DNC breach to Guccifer 2.0, not Russia, and swapped a handful of direct messages with the persona in the weeks that followed, according to copies of the conversations provided to the Times.

US Intelligence has identified Guccifer 2.0 as a GRU agent. Previously, Stone had said that he had a backchannel into Wikileaks after he predicted their release of Podesta's emails. Now we know that that back channel was direct contact with Putin's Intelligence apparatus.

There is more smoke here than it takes to make a Texas brisket.

Wow. Fucking straight up traitor. Stone is a grade A prick to boot. He's a racist, misogynistic, xenophobic asshole that deserves to spend the rest of his life in prison. The kind of fuckhead you want to punch in the face.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Hey guys, stop with the waaaacky conspiracy theories /s

If this is whats public, imagine what the FBI must have

commedieu

Banned
You can be tried for murder right, with circumstantial evidence?

This is insane and very much anti American. The GOP needs to be deported.

riotous

Banned
Well he did write articles about the hacks; so it would possibly make sense for him to reach out to the guy via Twitter for information.

Definitely smoke, but this one might have an explanation.

adj_noun

“It was so perfunctory, brief and banal I had forgotten it,” the political consultant told The Times on Friday with respect to a private Twitter exchange he had with “Guccifer 2.0,” a pseudonymous entity explicitly tied to the DNC hack.

The Trump campaign's amnesia epidemic continues unabated.

Guy.brush

rjsbarrel.jpg

I'm trying to muster up shock and surprise, but I just can't anymore. This administration has burnt me out and they've only been in power for 2 months.

wildfire

Banned
Hey guys, stop with the waaaacky conspiracy tjeories /s

If this is whats public, imagine what the FBI must have

Basically at this point I feel the Big Alphabet agencies don't want to expose their own secrets so the end game is force Congress to investigate and disclose behind closed doors. Everyone wins except for Trump and maybe Russia.

Well he did write articles about the hacks; so it would possibly make sense for him to reach out to the guy via Twitter for information.

If that was the excuse he would have used it rather than saying that they talked about nothing of substance. He predicted the Podesta leak before it happened so he obviously got important information from this contact and he is obviously trying to protect that information

riotous

Banned
If that was the excuse he would have used it rather than saying that they talked about nothing of substance.

That is the excuse he's using; it's right in the article in the OP.

He sent copies of the convos to the Washington Times; which of course is a right wing paper so they write about it as if his excuse is fact.

But I'm wondering why he's admitting this at this point; must be something else about to leak?

That is the excuse he's using; it's right in the article in the OP.

He sent copies of the convos to the Washington Times; which of course is a right wing paper so they write about it as if his excuse is fact.

But I'm wondering why he's admitting this at this point; must be something else about to leak?

There has been chatter amongst the fringe IC crowd on Twitter that transcripts of Stone's DMs with Guccifer 2.0 are out there. So he is probably trying to get ahead of that.

JZA

With all of this news coming out about the Trump campaign-Russia connections, how come the other GOP Presidential candidates aren't jumping on this? Russia was probably helping Trump back then too. They got screwed over just as bad.

KoopaTheCasual

“It was so perfunctory, brief and banal I had forgotten it,” the political consultant told The Times on Friday
Boy, all of Trump's advisers sure are forgetful.

Not a huge revelation, but I wonder what all this "amnesia" is in preparation for.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
With all of this news coming out about the Trump campaign-Russia connections, how come the other GOP Presidential candidates aren't jumping on this? Russia was probably helping Trump back then too. They got screwed over just as bad.

Because the GOP is all about party over country

geestack

wouldn't it be funny if he and snowden ended up living in the same russian safehouse in moscow when he flees the us

Dr.Acula

Banned
There has been chatter amongst the fringe IC crowd on Twitter that transcripts of Stone's DMs with Guccifer 2.0 are out there. So he is probably trying to get ahead of that.

What is twitter's policy like? Are all DMs encrypted or is it a deal like when you sign up the EULA allows them to read everything, sell you data, make movies about it, etc.?

Like, could @jack just dump this stuff freely if he wanted to?

mnannola

So he was just shooting the shit with the hacker? Is that what he is saying?

Isn't it super obvious that he was told by the hacker of the hack, thus the tweet he made with advanced knowledge of the hack? Are supposed to believe he was just chatting about the weather with this guy, and by complete coincidence guessed that something was going to happen to Hillary?

Arkeband

Banned
How do you have a brief and innocuous meeting with a person whose identity is so shrouded in secrecy that no one knows who it is and then forget about it?

UberTag

Except in almost every instance where a plausible explanation might present itself they've gone on record with denials and then... when caught... play the "it was innocuous, I forgot that even happened" card.

Why not go on record with the "sensible explanation" first... unless it's one that is full of holes.

They've all fallen in line like good little soldiers.

riotous

Banned

Isn't it super obvious that he was told by the hacker of the hack, thus the tweet he made with advanced knowledge of the hack? Are supposed to believe he was just chatting about the weather with this guy, and by complete coincidence guessed that something was going to happen to Hillary?

He wrote an article months after the initial report / leak of the hack.

You guys really should read the article, or just the quote in the OP. There's like a half dozen posts here that clearly didn't read.

1) June - Hack happened, Gucifer claimed it, then WikiLeaks began leaking info in July
2) August - Stone wrote an article, claims he sent Gucifer some innocuous DM's, and that was it. That's his excuse for contacting Gucifer
3) September / October - Stone posts ahead of time about un-released hacks, obviously has forknowledge
4) Today - Stone sends chat logs to the right wing Washington Times so that this story breaks with an "innocuous" spin to it

#3 is not proven to have come from Gucifer; the OP says:

Now we know that that back channel was direct contact with Putin's Intelligence apparatus.

This is conjecture.

Obviously conjecture with merit, but it seems just as likely that Stone did in fact have a contact at WikiLeaks. Why wouldn't he?

President Trump...

Guccifer 2.0 the GRU agent

Daily 'Mystery Deaths', pre-election foreign diplomacy, anti-Presidential Deep State

Doomsday Prepper Economic Nationalists and Alt Right versus Illuminati Globalists

damn I wish Kojima was still making Metal Gear games... this would be some prime source material in a decade

riotous

Banned
Except in almost every instance where a plausible explanation might present itself they've gone on record with denials and then... when caught... play the "it was innocuous, I forgot that even happened" card.

Why not go on record with the "sensible explanation" first... unless it's one that is full of holes.

That explanation is the entire point of the article that he had the Times write.

Mr. Stone wrote an article for Breitbart News on Aug. 5 attributing the DNC breach to Guccifer 2.0, not Russia, and swapped a handful of direct messages with the persona in the weeks that followed, according to copies of the conversations provided to the Times.

In one of the messages dated Aug. 14, Mr. Stone said he was “delighted” that Twitter had reinstated Guccifer 2.0’s account following a brief suspension. Two days later, Mr. Stone again privately messaged the Twitter account and asked for it to retweet a column he had written about the prospects of the 2016 presidential election being “rigged.”

He's claiming the "innocuous" messages he exchanged were motivated by the fact he was writing articles about the hacks.

They will turn on him when solid evidence comes out. Then Repubs will gaslight the entire country and act like they never defended him and talk about unity and shit.

Steel

Banned
Why the fuck would he even admit it? And who the hell does he think he's fooling by saying that nothing of import was discussed with him?
Don't answer that, it's Trump voters.

riotous

Banned
Why the fuck would he even admit it? And who the hell does he think he's fooling by saying that nothing of import was discussed with him?
Don't answer that, it's Trump voters.

It sounds like his convos are going to leak soon either way as they are floating around; so to get ahead of the story he sent some transcripts to The Washington Times, which is a right-wing paper that would report on it more kindly.

HOPEFULLY there's more to the convos that will leak; but according the TImes the chats they were sent were fairly innocuous.

Well the part of me that doesn't want to believe that the Trump admin was an arm of the Kremlin hopes that his excuse is valid; but a bigger part of me wants to see these people burn.

edit: And to note, the article is careful to not make absolute claims about whether this represents the entirety of the contact between Stone and Gucifer. But it is heavily implied.

androvsky

The hacker did ask if there was anything he could do for him...

“i’m pleased to say that u r great man,” Guccifer 2.0 wrote in an Aug. 17 message to Mr. Stone. “please tell me if i can help u anyhow. it would be a great pleasure to me.”

Note the "Podesta's time in the barrel" tweet from Stone was only four days after that message.

What is twitter's policy like? Are all DMs encrypted or is it a deal like when you sign up the EULA allows them to read everything, sell you data, make movies about it, etc.?

DMs are not encrypted. It's something that Twitter has evidently experimented with, but it hasn't happened yet. It's basically an honor system thing right now where Twitter promises that @jack won't go rifling through your DMs. The privacy of your DMs is a matter of policy not technology. So if the Government shows up with a warrant, Twitter is compelled to turn those messages over.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
LOL - it hasn't even been 2 months. The Trump Administration is a complete and utter gong show. Embarrassing, and that's putting it mildly.

jvalioli

Everyone company encrypts their data. It has nothing to do with a EULA. The government just needs to subpoena the data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom