• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Campaign Selling Plastic Straws

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
The great war of our time has begun...

The Team Trump account then asks supporters to “stand with President Trump” by using his special “laser-engraved” plastic straws at just $15 for a pack of 10 (plus shipping). Typically, 1,000 plastic straws retail for about $10, making the Trump straws 150 times more expensive.
A growing number of communities are banning or restricting single-use plastic straws due to their environmental harm, and some companies have voluntarily phased them out.

Last edited:

NickFire

Mar 12, 2014
On the one hand, getting the source to write an article about this is kinda funny. On the other hand, selling straws for $1.50 a piece is trolling the purchaser more than the 'libs."

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Make them out of bamboo, glass or stainless.

Hell, I bought a package of stainless ones the other day that contained 6 and a cleaning brush for $5. And with a branding on them, they would be more of a collectors item with very low waste.

This below is one of the many reasons I feel compelled to do my part. Precious creatures.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018

Hell, I bought a package of stainless ones the other day that contained 6 and a cleaning brush for $5. And with a branding on them, they would be more of a collectors item with very low waste.

This below is one of the many reasons I feel compelled to do my part. Precious creatures.

Hope the turtle was ok.

Looks like the guy ripped it's insides.

Surprised the turtle didn't try to snap and bite him.

Oct 26, 2018
I realize the impact is minimal, but I find it sad that some people are willing to go out of their way to negatively impact the environment just to spite the liberals. Politics is toxic, sigh
Yup. So sad.

But the reason why they argue like manchildren is because the public likes it and it works.

You'd think politicians who are leading cities, states, provinces and countries would act like adults, and people voting would shun stupid bickering, but they don't.

I've worked in an office my entire life, I've never seen anyone act like kids. Even when people have opposing views, you state your case and people make a consensus in hopes of a collective decision. Or sometimes the person with highest rank makes the call. Doesn't matter which way it goes, it's still maturely handled.

It would be nuts if people in meetings were yelling and accusing each other, or doing internal memos (instead of politician TV ads) spreading the word they are better and the other person's view is trash. So pick my decision everyone!

You'd think something like politics which involves economy, people's money, education, healthcare etc..... would be handled by level headed people. Not retards smack talking.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
^I think most straws are technically recyclable but the problem is their shape and how easily they bend that they are rejected or simply don't make it through the recycling process and end up in the ocean. I could be wrong on this
Correct.

Plastic straws are made out of type 5 plastic, also known as polypropylene. Although polypropylene can be recycled, most recycling facilities do not accept plastic straws. Straws are small and flexible, and can fall between the cracks of machinery, or get stuck in machinery.

Reactions: DeepEnigma

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Hope the turtle was ok.

Looks like the guy ripped it's insides.

Surprised the turtle didn't try to snap and bite him.
They are very gentle giants. Somehow animals know as well (sometimes).

I believe the turtle was fine after and said would heal right up.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I use glass straws. Makes everything taste better, great for smoothies and the like.
Yep. I have glass ones for personal use and as you said fantastic for smoothies.

Got the stainless ones on the cheap for when I have gatherings and people ask.

Reactions: EviLore

AaronB

May 5, 2013
On the one hand, it's an absurd price for straws. On the other hand, they could be collectibles in the future. :unsure:

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
On the one hand, getting the source to write an article about this is kinda funny. On the other hand, selling straws for $1.50 a piece is trolling the purchaser more than the 'libs."
It's not much different from buying any other campaign promo item, or a piece of band merch. It's something to show your friends (or frenemies). They don't intend to sell many of them, as evidenced by the way they're being manufactured (based on the number of orders).

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
He’s right, let’s focus on them all. Cups, plates, lids, utensils, packaging, bags, etc..

It seems groups like to narrow focus and make a single low effort campaign to give a scrap to virtue “see see look what we did”, meanwhile the sippy lids alternative at Starschmucks uses more plastic than a single straw.

It’s all a give a little BS game.

I still personally do my part, regardless.

Last edited:

Super Mario

Nov 12, 2016
Using straws makes you the enemy, even if you dispose of them properly. All of the other water bottles, cigarette butts, etc aren't the problem because I haven't seen them up a turtle's nose yet

Last edited:
Reactions: dano1 and Helios

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I love animals but for our family the easy solution is just not to use straws.

The main issue is that the heavy users of straws are business providing cheap soft drinks. Personal metal straws will never be a good solution for that, since the entire point of fast food, etc, is pretty much convenience. Most customers simply won't carry around personal straws. Heck, given that most customers could simply drink their drink without straws, yet still get straws, is a serious indication people aren't going to carry around their own.

A super cheap, biodegradable option would be best, but those ones still are gross last time i tried one.

Besides

Straws are gross, though. I probably use 5 a year unavoidably.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

The main issue is that the heavy users of straws are business providing cheap soft drinks. Personal metal straws will never be a good solution for that, since the entire point of fast food, etc, is pretty much convenience. Most customers simply won't carry around personal straws. Heck, given that most customers could simply drink their drink without straws, yet still get straws, is a serious indication people aren't going to carry around their own.

A super cheap, biodegradable option would be best, but those ones still are gross last time i tried one.

Besides

I get that, but we’re talking about straws in this thread being sold to people buying them. Not going to a fast food shop.

I rarely use them myself unless I’m running out of the house with a smoothie on the go.

My point was, if you’re going to sell a straw for campaign shit, you could’ve done better.

Using straws makes you the enemy, even if you dispose of them properly. All of the other water bottles, cigarette butts, etc aren't the problem because I haven't seen them up a turtle's nose yet
They are just as bad, but context to the thread matters.

Reactions: 12Goblins

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I get that, but we’re talking about straws in this thread being sold to people buying them. Not going to a fast food shop.

I rarely use them myself unless I’m running out of the house with a smoothie on the go.

My point was, if you’re going to sell a straw for campaign shit, you could’ve done better.

They are just as bad, but context to the thread matters.
Oh, i figure these are just for a laugh. I don't think anyone is actually going to buy these in volume.

I mean, six packs of soda are still sold in those plastic rings. On the rare occassion they end up in our house, i just cut them up. I wish the industry would come up with a better solution, but i do think that solution should come from consumer demand, not govt intervention. Activists still play a role by informing the public, and government stays small.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2013

Besides

Whenever I go to fast food restaurants, I always just drink straight out of the cup. It is really annoying, though when I go to restaurants. When the waiter/waitress bring me water, it almost always comes with a straw even though I didn't ask for one.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Whenever I go to fast food restaurants, I always just drink straight out of the cup. It is really annoying, though when I go to restaurants. When the waiter/waitress bring me water, it almost always comes with a straw even though I didn't ask for one.
Well, i mean the obvious solution is to replace the lids with a sort of sippy cup solution, kind of like a coffee cup lid with a slightly raised opening. It reduces spills in cars, etc, while making it easy to drink. It completely removes a separate item for the restaurants to purchase. Everybody wins.

Enough public pressure will force McDs to come up with this rather obvious idea on their own. Others will follow their lead as prices further drop. Continue to have straws with straw tops on request only for a few years until the requests drop to near zero, then drop that too.

No gov't intervention needed.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

Jan 31, 2018
No amount of alarmist propaganda will make me feel guilty for drinking with plastic straws.

Reactions: OSC

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I don't like straws. Just drink straight from the cup. Seeing that video of the turtle just breaks my heart.
That reminds me of a story, when I was growing up in my uncle’s restaurant, he is from Greece, he told me never to serve straws to men at the tables, that men don’t drink with straws. I just always assumed that was a Mediterranean thing after, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: InterMusketeer

Vow

Dec 19, 2018
Silly campaign idea, though I see they're recyclable so, hmm. I use metal straws at home, not heard of glass straws, sound dangerous. I have an accident prone young son and can just imagine him crunching on one or splintering it in his hand. Single use plastics need to be phased out. Turtle video was hard to watch.

I've never had a bad experience with a paper straw either tbh. Imbibed a McDonald's vanilla milkshake through one the other day. Was fine.

Jan 12, 2018
Look, if people want to use different straws that aren't plastic ...fine by me but I absolutely despise paper straws. They're the goddamn worse. They literally deteriorate while I'm drinking......

So if you're gonna be environmentally friendly at least find a better solution than that at restraurants lol.

Metal straw sounds pretty sweet tho.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Look, if people want to use different straws that aren't plastic ...fine by me but I absolutely despise paper straws. They're the goddamn worse. They literally deteriorate while I'm drinking......

So if you're gonna be environmentally friendly at least find a better solution than that at restraurants lol.

Metal straw sounds pretty sweet tho.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I only ever use straws at restaurants. Do you guys carry your metal/etc. straws with you? Seems like it would be awkward.

I’ve never been to a place that uses paper straws so I can’t comment on them myself.

pennythots

May 14, 2019
I only ever use straws at restaurants. Do you guys carry your metal/etc. straws with you? Seems like it would be awkward.

I’ve never been to a place that uses paper straws so I can’t comment on them myself.
paper straws are not great but I generally opt out of straws when given the choice.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

I never use straws when I am out at places. Only time they are used are when my yoga hottie friend and I go to places, and she keeps it in her bag or already has it in her smoothie. Even carries reusable utensils so we don't have to use plastic one's if we are at theme parks, etc..

Reactions: chaos789

Vader1

Sep 4, 2016
He’s a total idiot. It’s funny though since nobody’s going to be buying his straws anyway. Maybe he doesn’t realize. Looking forward to 2020.

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
I might be necrobumping, and I guess technically virtue signalling, but this topic inspired me to get some reusable silicone straws and a travel case. That turtle story was horrific. Granted, I live inland so it is doubtful that any of my straws even get to the ocean, but I'm all for not polluting with a simple change.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I might be necrobumping, and I guess technically virtue signalling, but this topic inspired me to get some reusable silicone straws and a travel case. That turtle story was horrific. Granted, I live inland so it is doubtful that any of my straws even get to the ocean, but I'm all for not polluting with a simple change.
FWIW, I appreciate you. Even if the chances are slim, it’s something so simple that each and every one of us can do. Easily, and cheaply.

Last edited:

chaos789

Banned
Nov 21, 2012
Never really used straws anyway and I do my best to avoid drive thru’s.

I actually went into a Starbucks for some coffee the other day and brought in my stainless steel refillable cup. The clerk asked me what size. I said “Umm smallest size I guess” then the fucker fills a paper cup up and dumps the coffee in my reuseable stainless steel container and throws the paper cup away. Which pissed me off because I intentionally use a refillable cup to avoid that shit. I held my temper back and told him to avoid doing that because he is contributing to more waste. Obviously, he does not give a shit.

We deserve what’s coming to us, but the animals do not.

Last edited: