• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Campaign Selling Plastic Straws

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Never really used straws anyway and I do my best to avoid drive thru’s.

I actually went into a Starbucks for some coffee the other day and brought in my stainless steel refillable cup. The clerk asked me what size. I said “Umm smallest size I guess” then the fucker fills a paper cup up and dumps the coffee in my reuseable stainless steel container and throws the paper cup away. Which pissed me off because I intentionally use a refillable cup to avoid that shit. I held my temper back and told him to avoid doing that because he is contributing to more waste. Obviously, he does not give a shit.

We deserve what’s coming to us, but the animals do not.
That’s what cracks me up in a snide way about Starbucks. They try to act so virtue progressive, yet they are some of the biggest wasteful companies around when it comes to practices with the environment.

They are literally in a position to enact a positive change to lead by example, yet they resort to the cheapest route possible with polymer plastic products versus other (not much more expensive) more bio-friendly alternatives.

It’s all about the bottom line 1st no matter how hard they virtue signal politically.

Lead by example!

Last edited:
Reactions: chaos789

chaos789

Banned
Nov 21, 2012
That’s what cracks me up in a snide way about Starbucks. They try to act so virtue progressive, yet they are some of the biggest wasteful companies around when it comes to practices with the environment.

They are literally in a position to enact a positive change to lead by example, yet they resort to the cheapest route possible with polymer plastic products versus other (not much more expensive) more bio-friendly alternatives.

It’s all about the bottom line 1st no matter how hard they virtue signal politically.

Lead by example!
Agreed. Corporations do not give a shit, unless it’s Earth Day or to receive good press or PR.

I generally just drink coffee I make from home, but I needed a boost due to lack of sleep the day before and the local small business coffee shop, I use to go to closed up.

Reactions: DeepEnigma

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Most of which come from third world sources.
There is truth in that. If you want to feel sick to your stomach, like your soul knows it’s not right what you are seeing, look up ‘River of Plastic in Guatemala’.

Edit: added it.

Last edited:

chaos789

Banned
Nov 21, 2012
Most of which come from third world sources.
Either way, it’s still better to use reusable alternatives, than to contribute to what has become a colossal problem that endangers marine life and also has negative consequences for human life.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Makes sense Asian countries pollute the most.

Lousy standards and safety. Fuck, compare the avg American/European restaurant to a place in Chinatown. One place you're eating at is a fully staffed clean place. The other looks like it hasn't been cleaned in a month, and the last time the toilet was scrubbed was last year.

However, people got to remember these Asian countries are the ones pumping out the majority of cheap shit you buy at the store. So it makes sense they have tons of manufacturing waste.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
Either way it’s still better to use reusable alternatives, than to contribute to what has become a colossal problem that endangers marine life.
I don't think plastic is going to go away anytime soon. Some everyday items are already reusuable and made of plastic (i.e keyboards, TV remotes, electronics).

Just be sensible and limit how much you consume. For example, don't drive your car to the mailbox outside your house. But that doesn't mean you can't use your car again ever.

Last edited:

chaos789

Banned
Nov 21, 2012
I don't think plastic is going to go away anytime soon. Some everyday items are already reusuable and made of plastic (i.e keyboards, TV remotes, electronics).

Just be sensible and limit how much you consume. For example, don't drive your car to the mailbox outside your house. But that doesn't mean you can't use your car again ever.
I am a minimalist. So you are preaching to the choir.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Well, I've always been a supporters of tons of incinerators.

But people don't like the heat and smoke it creates. Though if you read about them, pollution (like the image of tons of black smoke going into the air is false) isn't as bad as people think.

Costs a ton to make, but burning shit helps divert some junk going into landfills and oceans. But governments and people don't seem to like them.

With all the heat they create, I'm sure engineers could figure out how to use the heat for other purposes too. I don't know.... turn some turbines or something. And use all that ash for some other purpose.

Oh well. I guess with so much empty land and ocean, companies and government prefer dumping shit into piles.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

I definitely agree with your argument here. It all comes down to personal responsibility and making the effort to minimalize your impact.

Far too often we fall into the trap that, “I am only one person, I can’t make a difference”, but if we all as a collective did something ,even if it’s starting as a little and progressing towards more sustainability and lower waste, it can make a positive impact.

I try to live my life as a minimalist as possible as far as waste. And I will always refuse to subscribe at this point in my life that I will not make a difference because everyone else is not doing anything, I am still making a difference and hope to inspire and helps others to as well.

Grassroots, right?

Last edited:

JordanN

Apr 21, 2012
Brampton, Ontario
I am a minimalist. So you are preaching to the choir.
I'm a pragmatist. If you're going to save the environment, then I rather focus on the biggest contributors, then going after the small stuff.

For example, even if you don't use plastic straws, there's still millions of them sitting on store shelves or in restaurants. And these same products aren't even made in the same country.
So we're talking millions of straws being shipped across the ocean, every day. Those ships consume many times more oil than every day cars put together.

It's not enough to just tell people to not use or limit plastic. We have to reevaluate our entire economies to be more eco friendly.

Ironically, as someone who believes in stronger borders and nationalism, there's an argument to be made for saving the planet by making each country economically independant, rather than our continued exploitation of globalism which spreads waste (China) all across the developed world.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
I'm a pragmatist. If you're going to save the environment, then I rather focus on the biggest contributors, then going after the small stuff.

For example, even if you don't use plastic straws, there's still millions of them sitting on store shelves or in restaurants. And these same products aren't even made in the same country.
So we're talking millions of straws being shipped across the ocean, every day. Those ships consume many times more oil than every day cars put together.

It's not enough to just tell people to not use or limit plastic. We have to reevaluate our entire economies to be more eco friendly.

Ironically, as someone who believes in stronger borders and nationalism, there's an argument to be made for saving the planet by making each country economically independant, rather than our continued exploitation of globalism which spreads waste (China) all across the developed world.
The thing is, it goes beyond heroic strives for eco-manufacturing and limiting straws and such.

The reason why the world has these kinds of materials is because people love them. Plastic is something that is durable, can be shaped, and cheap.

People complain about the pollution, but I bet if you go into their house, they have tons of non-biodegradable stuff like hard plastics, corrosion-resistant metals, and I don't think someone's ceramic tiles on their kitchen floor are going to biodegrade for 2,000 years.

So people want strong durable cheap shit. But expect biodegradeable products that are cheap and hold up just as well as plastic (durability)? Wishful thinking.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

I totally get your argument, and I agree. As I’ve said earlier legislation for the small things are only a political symbolic gesture nothing more. These lawmakers and legislators are still in the pocket of massive corporations and they pick the most minimal thing to pass that virtue for votes.

I especially agree with the tackling of big issues, as far as me personally I can still take steps in my every day life to minimize the impact myself with very little to no discomfort to convenience.

What I do is a personal level that’s very easy to accomplish. Simple things such as not ever needing straws, bringing your own reusable bags to grocery stores, bringing your own mason jars or reusable bags to bulk stores, etc.. Purchase whole foods with little to no plastic packaging.

These are things that we all can do without the need of political legislation and very easily have an impact with very minimal to no negatives to our personal convenience.

That way we can all Focus on the bigger picture with the most major pressing impacts.

chaos789

Banned
Nov 21, 2012
I definitely agree with your argument here. It all comes down to personal responsibility and making the effort to minimalize your impact.

Far too often we fall into the trap that, “I am only one person, I can’t make a difference”, but if we all as individuals did something collectively and progressed towards more sustainability and lower waste, it can make a positive impact.

I try to live my life as a minimalist as possible as far as waste. And I will always refuse to subscribe at this point in my life that I will not make a difference because everyone else is not doing anything, I am still making a difference and hope to inspire and helps others to as well.

Grassroots, right?
I am an advocate for environmental regulations, but at the same time I acknowledge I cannot simply wait for the government to enact change. Especially considering how slow government responds to things.

So as individuals our actions may seem small, but if enough of us are doing it, It has a net positive effect.

I do grow tired of people talking about climate change and pollution and human waste and then buying a bunch of shit they do not need and making no conscious effort to recycle or buy less material goods, that are made under environmentally hostile conditions and giving their hard earned money to multi-national corporations who create this falsified desire of having to have the newest gadget. The very same corporations who are responsible for much of our environmental woes we face today.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
The thing is, it goes beyond heroic strives for eco-manufacturing and limiting straws and such.

The reason why the world has these kinds of materials is because people love them. Plastic is something that is durable, can be shaped, and cheap.

People complain about the pollution, but I bet if you go into their house, they have tons of non-biodegradable stuff like hard plastics, corrosion-resistant metals, and I don't think someone's ceramic tiles on their kitchen floor are going to biodegrade for 2,000 years.

So people want strong durable cheap shit. But expect biodegradeable products that are cheap and hold up just as well as plastic (durability)? Wishful thinking.
This is a big part of why Native Hamp needs to be pushed again and shake up the textile industry.

It can be used for a myriad of things from building materials to concrete to biodegradable plastics. Some of which the reasoning behind Its ban due to textile and pharmaceutical industries lobbied hard because of its versatility and the lack of ability to be able to patent a natural ‘god given’ resource (why do you think Monsanto wants to GMO food supply and seeds?).

But that is a whole other can of worms topic to discuss.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
Getting rid of straws is arguably the best policy corporations can get. Any city policy to ditch it makes all restaurants do it together.

It's not like people are going to stop buying drinks. The end result is restaurants saving money on straws.

It's like the plastic bag policy in Ontario 10 years ago where people are charged 5 cents. The store KEEPS the money. None of the money went to government funding.

A plastic bag costs about 2 cents wholesale. So stores actually made money charging people for bags! The more bags given out the better.

When the government got rid of the policy, some stores still charge for bags, hile some went back to free bags.

• Thoughtful

Kreios

Oct 5, 2010
U.S.
Wasteful or not, his trolling is definitely working as intended, which is what got him elected in the first place. Shame on huffpost for opening their stupid mouths.

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
HAHA Hilarious! Lets all kill the planet together! Who needs marine life anyway? right? LOL!!
there are about a billion things more damaging to the environment.
Its just a "good" selling point for twitter addicts and morons to feel good by indulging into a fantasy of actually doing something.

Last edited:

GorillaChilla

Jun 26, 2019
As an ecologist I can safely say that straws are very low on envirmental impact. Everyone freaks out about plastic straws because of a turtle video but plastic bags, bottles, ect are magnitudes worse. I know that”every little bit helps” but metal straws are only marginally better. I wish the anti straw push was as strong for sunscreen in beaches or people letting their cats run around outside killing the local animals.

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
there are about a billion things more damaging to the environment.
Its just a "good" selling point for twitter addicts and morons to feel good by indulging into a fantasy of actually doing something.
Exactly. It’s just optics.
With 18,000,000,000,000 pounds of trash found - the amount that were straws was only 4 to 40 pounds

OSC

Jun 16, 2018
Just tasted those cardboard straws, awful awful. Won't buy at any restaurant carrying them, and if they all are forced too, I will bring my own plastic straws.
Make them out of bamboo, glass or stainless.

Hell, I bought a package of stainless ones the other day that contained 6 and a cleaning brush for $5. And with a branding on them, they would be more of a collectors item with very low waste.

This below is one of the many reasons I feel compelled to do my part. Precious creatures.

From what crowder says most of this is the result of other countries particularly asian countries, paper straws here in the USA will do little to help, they're more likely simple virtue signalling supposedly.
I realize the impact is minimal, but I find it sad that some people are willing to go out of their way to negatively impact the environment just to spite the liberals. Politics is toxic, sigh
? As far as I can see if something is tossed in a trash can and taken by a garbage truck it ends in the landfill, presence or absence of straws in a landfill makes little difference to the environment. And the entire landfill is recyclable once we have a suitable energy source from fusion.
^I think most straws are technically recyclable but the problem is their shape and how easily they bend that they are rejected or simply don't make it through the recycling process and end up in the ocean. I could be wrong on this
why would something that is dumped along with the rest of the garbage in a trash can at a restaurant end up in the ocean? I don't know how asian countries do it, do they toss their garbage into their rivers?
A super cheap, biodegradable option would be best, but those ones still are gross last time i tried one.
there is biodegradable plastic, think even solid plastic.
No amount of alarmist propaganda will make me feel guilty for drinking with plastic straws.

this
You do realize 91% of plastic is not recycled.
doesn't matter at least in the U.S. most probably ends up in a landfill, once we have fusion we can easily recycle it from the landfill it will be there for over a century.
Either way, it’s still better to use reusable alternatives, than to contribute to what has become a colossal problem that endangers marine life and also has negative consequences for human life.
The problem is from what it seems most of what ends outside of landfills is due to other countries mostly asian countries.

TheContact

Formerly 'TesUsa'
Jan 22, 2016
Metal straws are awesome especially for ice water since the straw itself gets cold. Mmmm

Eiknarf

Mar 25, 2019
Metal straws are awesome especially for ice water since the straw itself gets cold. Mmmm
I have metal straws - I hate em. Seems like it makes shit taste different

My wife and kids love the metal straws though

The best way to eat ice cream is with a lil wooden spoon- Maybe I’d like a wooden straw ? Hahah

TheContact

Formerly 'TesUsa'
Jan 22, 2016
I have metal straws - I hate em. Seems like it makes shit taste different

My wife and kids love the metal straws though

The best way to eat ice cream is with a lil wooden spoon- Maybe I’d like a wooden straw ? Hahah
That's true. Ideally, a glass straw would be best. It would have to be like gorilla glass or something though. Metal straws have the benefit of collapsing so you can take it with you though.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
I use glass straws. Makes everything taste better, great for smoothies and the like.
I use 100 dollar bills and then use it to buy more coke. I think that’s a better way of not being wasteful.

Also if one of my coke straws enters a turtle in the future... turtle is richer in wallet and spirit.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: EviLore

DeafTourette

Apr 23, 2018
deaftourette.com
Make them out of bamboo, glass or stainless.

Hell, I bought a package of stainless ones the other day that contained 6 and a cleaning brush for $5. And with a branding on them, they would be more of a collectors item with very low waste.

This below is one of the many reasons I feel compelled to do my part. Precious creatures.

That just broke my heart, man.

I'm buying a glass straw myself for home use, and a bamboo one (if I can) for restaurant use.

• Praise the Sun