• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Can’t Block Critics From His Twitter Account, Appeals Court Rules (wider implications are possible)

prag16

Jul 12, 2012
This will obviously be overturned. Even if it were to stand, it would apply to Dems too, e.g. AOC. It's asinine regardless. Anyone blocked can still read his tweets if they log out.

mayl3

Jan 17, 2014
As a lawyer I agree with this ruling. I also agree he can make his own personal account as well and block everyone he wants

spandexmonkey

Gold Member
Dec 17, 2009
Memphis, TN
Out of curiosity, if him blocking the public from engaging him on Twitter is a violation of the 1st amendment, then how does that translate to Twitter banning someone? Once banned they would no longer be able to engage in public discourse with a government official.

If yes they can still ban you:
Are private entities allowed to serve as gate keepers to public officials? Can Sprint say I'm not allowed to make phone calls to the DNC?

If no:
Does an official government entity using social media, turn that space effectively into a public one requiring 1st amendment protections?

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
this is a weird legal finding IMO

tbh it scares me all of the things they talk about wrt the internet in politics & media, feel like they will use Russia or whatever as an excuse to pass some sweeping internet privacy bill that is like the Patriot Act but for the internet and things just suck from then on out. the thought of being held legally responsible for what i say on Twitter is kind of a nightmarish dystopia come to life.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2018
It will be a shitshow of hilarity.

All those users blocked will be working OT to get back at the politician blocking them before.