• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump considers buying Greenland

duhu1148

May 18, 2018
Trump Eyes a new real-estate purchase: Greenland

WASHINGTON—President Trump made his name on the world’s most famous island. Now he wants to buy the world’s biggest.

The idea of the U.S. purchasing Greenland has captured the former real-estate developer’s imagination, according to people familiar with the discussions, who said Mr. Trump has, with varying degrees of seriousness, repeatedly expressed interest in buying the ice-covered autonomous Danish territory between the North Atlantic and Arctic oceans.

In meetings, at dinners and in passing conversations, Mr. Trump has asked advisers whether the U.S. can acquire Greenland, listened with interest when they discuss its abundant resources and geopolitical importance and, according to two of the people, has asked his White House counsel to look into the idea.

Some of his advisers have supported the concept, saying it was a good economic play, two of the people said, while others dismissed it as a fleeting fascination that will never come to fruition. It is also unclear how the U.S. would go about acquiring Greenland even if the effort were serious.

With a population of about 56,000, Greenland is a self-ruling part of the Kingdom of Denmark, and while its government decides on most domestic matters, foreign and security policy is handled by Copenhagen. Mr. Trump is scheduled to make his first visit to Denmark early next month, although the visit is unrelated, these people said.

The White House and State Department didn’t respond to a request for comment. Officials with Denmark’s Royal House and the Danish embassy in Washington didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment, nor did officials with Greenland’s representative office in Washington and Greenland’s prime minister’s office.

U.S. officials view Greenland as important to American national-security interests. A decades-old defense treaty between Denmark and the U.S. gives the U.S. military virtually unlimited rights in Greenland at America’s northernmost base, Thule Air Base. Located 750 miles north of the Arctic Circle, it includes a radar station that is part of a U.S. ballistic missile early-warning system. The base is also used by the U.S. Air Force Space Command and the North American Aerospace Defense Command.

The U.S. has sought to derail Chinese efforts to gain an economic foothold in Greenland. The Pentagon worked successfully in 2018 to block China from financing three airports on the island.

People outside the White House have described purchasing Greenland as an Alaska-type acquisition for Mr. Trump’s legacy, advisers said. The few current and former White House officials who had heard of the notion described it with a mix of anticipation and apprehension, since it remains unknown how far the president might push the idea.

It generated a cascade of questions among his advisers, such as whether the U.S. could use Greenland to establish a stronger military presence in the Arctic, and what kind of research opportunities it might present.

Though it has vast natural resources across its 811,000 square miles, Greenland relies on $591 million of subsidies from Denmark annually, which make up about 60% of its annual budget, according to U.S. and Danish government statistics.

Though Greenland is technically part of North America, it is culturally and politically linked to Europe. Following World War II, the U.S. under President Harry Truman developed a geopolitical interest in Greenland and in 1946 offered to buy it from Denmark for $100 million. But Denmark refused to sell. And that was the second failed attempt—the State Department had also launched an inquiry into buying Greenland and Iceland in 1867.

At a dinner with associates last spring, Mr. Trump said someone had told him at a roundtable that Denmark was having financial trouble over its assistance to Greenland, and suggested that he should consider buying the island, according to one of the people.

“What do you guys think about that?” he asked the room, the person said. “Do you think it would work?”
The person described the question less as a serious inquiry than as a joke meant to indicate “I’m so powerful I could buy a country,” noting that since Mr. Trump hadn’t floated the idea at a campaign rally yet, he probably wasn’t seriously considering it. The person believed the president was interested in the idea because of the island’s natural resources and because it would give him a legacy akin to President Dwight Eisenhower ’s admission of Alaska into the U.S. as a state.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo was scheduled to visit Greenland in May with the aim of discussing long-term peace and sustainable economic developments, particularly since “we’re concerned about activities of other nations, including China, that do not share these same commitments,” a senior State Department official said at the time. Mr. Pompeo was also scheduled to visit the New York Air National Guard in Kangerlussuaq, which supports U.S. scientists conducting research on Greenland’s ice cap.
His trip was called off at the last minute because of escalating tensions with Iran.

Kenneth Mortensen, a real-estate agent in Nuuk, Greenland’s capital, said that the running joke in Greenland currently is that Mr. Trump is traveling to Denmark with the sole intention of buying their island. But he said Mr. Trump might run into some trouble.

“You can never own land here,” Mr. Mortensen said, as all land is owned by the government. “In Greenland, you get a right to use the land where you want to build a house, but you can’t buy.”
“Of course, buying Greenland is a different issue altogether,” he added. “I’m not sure about that.”

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Horrible idea. The last thing we need is another island that clamors to be a state so that they inflict their ideology on the broader US.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Feb 9, 2009
Do it

Kenneth Mortensen, a real-estate agent in Nuuk, Greenland’s capital, said that the running joke in Greenland currently is that Mr. Trump is traveling to Denmark with the sole intention of buying their island. But he said Mr. Trump might run into some trouble.

“You can never own land here,” Mr. Mortensen said, as all land is owned by the government. “In Greenland, you get a right to use the land where you want to build a house, but you can’t buy.”
“Of course, buying Greenland is a different issue altogether,” he added. “I’m not sure about that.”
Well no shit.

Jun 25, 2018
The irony of '' climate change is a hoax'' let's buy greenland hasnt been lost on me.

But I doubt it will happen without force. Greenland will not be for sale.

Last edited:
Reactions: Miku Miku

Stilton Disco

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2014
UK
Gotta say, for an idea I'd never entertained until this moment, I actually think it makes a hell of a lot of sense and would benefit both sides massively.

You can't really put a price on the US constitution, so that alone would be a huge benefit for the people of Greenland, its packed with natural resources, has great strategic importance and will only be more so and more habitable in the future.

Seems like a win win to me.

HE1NZ

Apr 9, 2019
Gotta say, for an idea I'd never entertained until this moment, I actually think it makes a hell of a lot of sense and would benefit both sides massively.

You can't really put a price on the US constitution, so that alone would be a huge benefit for the people of Greenland, its packed with natural resources, has great strategic importance and will only be more so and more habitable in the future.

Seems like a win win to me.
How is it a win for Denmark?

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
All this talk of buying, when he doesn't even know if Denmark is selling.
It is a more or less autonomous region that voted 6 out 7 for independence from Denmark.

Denmark pays around 500 million $ to support Greenland. Yearly.
But at the same time, it doesn't dig the resources, neither have a fleet to defend Greenland nor have military interests there. The Arctic area is the next hot thing ROFL among different powers.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: HE1NZ
Jun 25, 2018
In Denmark we usually don't sellout people, just like that... we are quite humane when it comes to treating people around our borders or safety grounds.
that is also why we got some of the highest taxes and don't complain as much.. we are just more humane people with a better understanding of empathy.
Remember Greenland has been Danish since the 986 CE.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ailynn

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I doubt this will materialize, and I doubt Trump is considering it seriously. Remember, he's a realty mogul. He sees land and he wants it to be utilized.

I'd sooner expect an increase in grants and dispensations for existing Federal land (which I think would be smart, too) than a purchase of Greenland. This could be one of those "just starting a conversation" things.

Last edited:

Stilton Disco

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2014
UK
Brainfart I almost immediately corrected. Well done on the fast reply though.

Saying that,

It is a more or less autonomous region that voted 6 out 7 for independence from Denmark.

Denmark pays around 500 million $ to support Greenland. Yearly.
But at the same time, it doesn't dig the resources, neither have a fleet to defend Greenland nor have military interests there. The Arctic area is the next hot thing ROFL among different powers.
This is a good point.

I also think this is something the people of Greenland would need to vote for overwhelmingly in a referendum to even be considered, now I've had a bit more of a think about it.

I still think it would be a good idea though.

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
I also think this is something the people of Greenland would need to vote for overwhelmingly in a referendum to even be considered, now I've had a bit more of a think about it.

I still think it would be a good idea though.
Regarding voting, it is actually an interesting thing in the modern climate. Technologies tested in different regions. Greenland people might not be that happy but there are like 50k of them? I presume some deal can be reached. Also, China might be interested too but it has its issues with Taiwan and HK for now.

Interesting times ahead. Welcome to the Wild World West :messenger_tears_of_joy: World map will be changing. At least videos about country borders won't be boring for our century (just like in the past)

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Jan 31, 2018
Trump's an idiot. What possibly could we gain from buying Greenland. Even if it were possible, what is the logic behind doing this? I'm not saying Greenland is worthless a a country. I don't understand why it matters if we have it or not. Are there resources there we need? I guess it's nice to visit?

It really feels like he's saying this for the likes and follows.

How about worrying about the 800 points the DOW dropped the other day in great part due to a pointless tariff war you started. How about worrying about the ballooning debt you giving tax breaks to the extremely wealthy has caused. You complain about Obama increasing the debt, but did so saving failing companies' asses from the fire. That just wasn't enough though.

Fuck man 2020 can't come soon enough.

lock2k

Gold Member
Jun 13, 2018
Brazil
In Denmark we usually don't sellout people, just like that... we are quite humane when it comes to treating people around our borders or safety grounds.
that is also why we got some of the highest taxes and don't complain as much.. we are just more humane people with a better understanding of empathy.
As South Park says, Denmark is the Canada of Europe. :D

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
Trump's an idiot. What possibly could we gain from buying Greenland. Even if it were possible, what is the logic behind doing this? I'm not saying Greenland is worthless a a country. I don't understand why it matters if we have it or not. Are there resources there we need? I guess it's nice to visit?
Why people can't do a simple investigation before these hot takes? Yes, it has resources, yes it is located in Arctic which the next hot thing (ROFL), yes melting will create vast territories that are probably arable. And just 50k population - less amount than illegals.

Last edited:
Reactions: lock2k

Jigsaah

Jan 31, 2018
Why people can't do a simple investigation before these hot takes? Yes, it has resources, yes it is located in Arctic which the next hot thing (ROFL), yes melting will create vast territories that are probably arable. And just 50k population - less amount than illegals.
This is not a hot take. The money spent on buying an island can be much better spent here at home on so many different things Americans need. This is fuckin showboating, pure and got damn simple. It's wasteful and its meant to be a shallow display of monetary might. If we are so fuckin rich, then why are students Trillions of dollars in debt right now? If we're so fuckin rich, then why are there people not being paid their full pension after serving their entire working lives as police officers serving their communities.

My point is we got bigger problems to worry about than buying fuckin Greenland.

finowns

May 10, 2009
Trump should go after 56k people living in Greenland, offer every man, woman, and child there $150,000 as long as they choose to separate themselves from Denmark and join the USA as some type of entity. US would obviously back their independence from Denmark. Maybe give Denmark something on the backend so they chillout.

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
This is not a hot take. The money spent on buying an island can be much better spent here at home on so many different things Americans need. This is fuckin showboating, pure and got damn simple. It's wasteful and its meant to be a shallow display of monetary might. If we are so fuckin rich, then why are students Trillions of dollars in debt right now? If we're so fuckin rich, then why are there people not being paid their full pension after serving their entire working lives as police officers serving their communities.

It won't cost trillions. A couple of billions at most. And it has nothing to do with "showing off". But whatever. The Arctic is the next hot thing (always have a laugh) and Russia with China on their way there.

Go have some sleep or a drink a cup of coffee, you are clearly too pissed off.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Jan 31, 2018
It won't cost trillions. A couple of billions at most. And it has nothing to do with "showing off". But whatever.
Go have some sleep or a drink a cup of coffee, you are clearly too pissed off.
2 billion dollars for all of Greenland....

Ok with that, I'm just done. Have a good day sir

finowns

May 10, 2009
Greenland says they’re not for sale. lol
Trust me they're for sale it's a matter of how much. American citizenship + $150,000 for everyone in your household is life changing and cost less than 10 billion for the US. Although I don't really understand the importance of Greenland so I don't know if it's of major interest to the United States.

Reactions: lock2k

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018

Well, Denmarks pays 500 million $ years for it. So I think you can buy them like...who cares where the money comes from? Changing supplier means nothing.

It is not that expensive in fact. I am still waiting when the corporations will have their own cities...Google, Apple, Facebook went ahead with it as far as I presume.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Jan 31, 2018
Well, Denmarks pays 500 million $ years for it. So I think you can buy them like...who cares where the money comes from? Changing supplier means nothing.

It is not that expensive in fact. I am still waiting when the corporations will have their own cities...Google and Apple went ahead with it as far as I presume.
Greenland's gov't says It's not for sale. It's a non-starter. For that reson alone 2 billion dollars would be too low. People who were with Trump at the time said it seemed like it was a joke. That makes a lot more sense.

duhu1148

May 18, 2018

Truman offered $100 million for it in 1946. Accounting for inflation, that is roughly $1.32 billion today. Although Denmark would not sell, $2 billion is within a reasonable range.

I don't see this happening though. Denmark hasn't expressed interest in selling and Greenland hasn't expressed interest in being bought by the U.S. Kind of cool to think about. Considering it's position and resources, I do think it's well worth it.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Jan 31, 2018
Truman offered $100 million for it in 1946. Accounting for inflation, that is roughly $1.32 billion today. Although Denmark would not sell, $2 billion is within a reasonable range.

I don't see this happening though. Denmark hasn't expressed interest in selling and Greenland hasn't expressed interest in being bought by the U.S. Kind of cool to think about. Considering it's position and resources, I do think it's well worth it.
You are neglecting other things that add to the intrinsic value of the region. You can't just compare by cost of inflation without considering the difference in population and global economic climate, along with implications it would have militarily and economically today vs 1946 during World War II.

CausticVenom

Apr 27, 2018
The more humanitarian approach is allowing us to purchase the island, to keep them safe. Denmark cant afford it, they'll just keep consuming your income until your wallet is empty every pay period.

Last edited:

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
Denmark has its own internal struggles where there are parties that don't want Greenland to become independent too. One of them even said that something like "That is the reason why Greenland shouldn't become independent" with the reference to Trump's quote. It is not that black and white matter.

You are neglecting other things that add to the intrinsic value of the region. You can't just compare by cost of inflation without considering the difference in population and global economic climate, along with implications it would have militarily and economically today vs 1946 during World War II.
Today we have bigger players than during WW2. Not to mention melting ice. Arctic resources will become important. Kashmir has 12kk population vs 50k in Greenland. It is not that simple matter.

duhu1148

May 18, 2018
True. However I'm not sure how you can compare the value of it from 1946 to 2019. Not so much so about it's resources, but more so about it's strategic positioning in the current political and economic climate- a value which is incredibly difficult to measure. Additionally, the population of Greenland today versus what it had in 1946 is small regardless. That part I would hardly consider relevant.

That said, I don't think they'd sell it for $2 billion. I was just pointing out that such an offer isn't ludicrous. I mean even if an expert on the subject considers Greenland to be worth more now than it was in 1946, offering $2 billion for it is still a 34% increase over what it was previously 'worth' (I'm using the term loosely since again, Denmark did not sell so it wasn't actually worth that amount to them) when accounting solely for inflation. That is a rather sizable increase.

But this is semantics. I do not disagree with most of what you said in this post, though.

Last edited:

Cucked SoyBoy

Dec 18, 2018

I assume you also want a lot more immigration?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
I do wonder.... :pie_thinking:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
No but seriously are we going to let a cuck country like Denmark tell us that we can't seize a valuable land mass with less than 100k people?

I think the angry UN letter and the economic sanctions on LEGO products will be worth it.

• LOL
Reactions: RedVIper