• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump declines invitation from NAACP to speak at its annual convention.

KSweeley

Link: https://apnews.com/23c821b062ac42eb...lines-invitation-to-speak-at-NAACP-convention

In what the NAACP's Board Chairman is calling a "historical departure" Trump has declined the NAACP's invitation to speak at its annual convention and the NAACP is now questioning Trump's commitment to his African American constituents:

July 20, 2017

The White House said Wednesday that President Donald Trump has declined an invitation to speak at the NAACP’s annual convention next week in Baltimore, leading the nation’s oldest civil rights organization to question the president’s commitment to his African American constituents.

“During his campaign, President Trump asked us ’what do you have to lose?’” NAACP Board Chairman Leon Russell said. “We get the message loud and clear. The president’s decision today underscores the harsh fact: we have lost - we’ve lost the will of the current administration to listen to issues facing the black community.”

White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders made the announcement to reporters that the president declined the NAACP’s invitation to speak at its 108th annual convention. Trump also did not speak to the NAACP convention last year, citing scheduling conflicts with the Republican National Convention.

The NAACP found out from reporters that Sanders had announced that Trump would not attend.

Sanders said while the president had declined the invitation, “certainly the invitation for dialogue with that group would happily take place and we’d certainly like to continue to do that.”

Russell called Trump’s decision a “historic departure from past presidents’ engagements with the association,” saying former Presidents Barack Obama, George W. Bush, Bill Clinton and Ronald Reagan all addressed the NAACP.

“When President Trump is ready to listen to us and the people we serve, we will be here,” Russell said. “Until then, the NAACP will continue to strive for an America free from racism and continue to speak truth to power.”

As much as his intelligence is called into question, he knows a trap when he sees one.

If only all those HBCU presidents knew better.....

BriGuy

They didn't vote for him and Trump has repeatedly made it clear that he's there for his base and no one else. And honestly, the NAACP is better off without him.

XenodudeX

Fuck em. Wouldn't want him speaking there anyway since we already know what he and his pig fucker supporters think about black people.

The NAACP is just now realizing this? It took a declined invitation to realize he's a white nationalist?

Sorry, but are some of the leaders dumb?

Rymuth

"It's time for us to come together as one united people. It's time, it's time." - Drumpf

Great uniting there, Donnie.

Yado

the NAACP is now questioning Trump's commitment to his African American constituents

Only now?
BcD5dQR.gif

entremet

If even he was going his policies are some of the most anti Black in decades, especially with his cabinet picks of Sessions and Devos.

Dynasty

I dont blame him, black people are savage, he must have gotten flashbacks to that time Obama roasted him live and was like this would be like that but worse since Obama was going soft.

Also weird how they are now questioning Trump's commitment to the African American community, didnt they question it when he appointed Sessions and Devos.

Also if Trump was to make a speech it would go something like this.
And, you know, I have a great relationship with African Americans, as you possibly have heard. I just have great respect for them and you know they like me.

Dynasty

They didn't vote for him and Trump has repeatedly made it clear that he's there for his base and no one else. And honestly, the NAACP is better off without him.

He aint even there for his fanbase, repealing Obamacare would screw over a lot of Trump supporters as well. He is just looking out for the rich.

You realize they're playing the game of politics eh?

No I don't think they are just now realizing
I guess. They could have phrased it better, then. Something along the lines that this was a "last ditch" effort to invite him to engage black leaders. Or just something to better convey a balance of trying to be inclusive while recognizing his very clear and sustained white supremacist stance.

Dali

He's afraid to visit one of our closest allies because they hate him. No surprise he'd decline to speak at an naacp conference.

theWB27

No way the NAACP didn't know he wouldn't come. One would could not see nuance if they didn't see this is to get more bad pub out there for the Trumpster.

I guess. They could have phrased it better, then. Something along the lines that this was a "last ditch" effort to invite him to engage black leaders. Or just something to better convey a balance of trying to be inclusive while recognizing his very clear and sustained white supremacist stance.

Dude they're playing the game. What do you mean "I guess"

This is the bloody NAACP you're talking about here... The phrasing issues are yours, not theirs.

deadlast

awww, I was really looking forward to a very uncomfortable speech. And now we aren't going to get Trump say "You People" in front of the NAACP.

E-Cat

Well, we know how much Trump *hates* to be seen as a hypocrite *snortle*, so I guess he made the right choice to decline.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Remember how much of an impact "George Bush doesn't care about black people" had at the time? People wouldn't bat an eye if you said the same thing about Trump today.

Top Bottom