• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump declines invitation from NAACP to speak at its annual convention.

That's honestly the smartest thing he's done in a while. That whole invite (while tradition) is just one big trap. There was nothing he could do to make that speech or his visit look good.

Garlador

For posterity...

“And it’s probably not his fault because laziness is a trait in blacks. It really is; I believe that. It’s not anything they can control.”
“Black guys counting my money! I hate it. The only kind of people I want counting my money are short guys that wear yarmulkes every day.”
“A well-educated black has a tremendous advantage over a well-educated white in terms of the job market. I think sometimes a black may think they don’t have an advantage or this and that... I’ve said on one occasion, even about myself, if I were starting off today, I would love to be a well-educated black, because I believe they do have an actual advantage.’’
“Our great African American President hasn’t exactly had a positive impact on the thugs who are so happily and openly destroying Baltimore.”
"Look at my African American over there! ...and he was sitting there behaving!"

Xtl8ePh.png

lol I don't even know why they invited him in the first place it's obvious he wouldn't come. On the other hand as someone who lives in Baltimore I can't blame him it's a fucking war zone here.

Dude they're playing the game. What do you mean "I guess"

This is the bloody NAACP you're talking about here... The phrasing issues are yours, not theirs.

I think it is fine to invite him. I simply think they could have been more... clear in emphasizing their lack of surprise that he'd deline. Based on very open and clear factors that define him as a person.

But I admit, that is petty on my part and isn't a huge deal in the scheme of things.

geomon

After "What do you have to lose", why even invite that idiot over? I get that it's tradition but every once in a while, special circumstances have to be taken into consideration.

Kinsei

Banned
After "What do you have to lose", why even invite that idiot over? I get that it's tradition but every once in a while, special circumstances have to be taken into consideration.

Because they knew he'd decline. This was a trap and Trump went barrelling into it head first.

Loxley

Well, yeah. The guy only wants to go places where he knows he'll be greeted by cheering, adoring fans - the NAACP is probably not one of those places.

I think it is fine to invite him. I simply think they could have been more... clear in emphasizing their lack of surprise that he'd deline. Based on very open and clear factors that define him as a person.

But I admit, that is petty on my part and isn't a huge deal in the scheme of things.

They don't want to act like they aren't surprised, we all know they aren't, but this allows them better media coverage... because media are cowards generally. That's the point of the political game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean its probably safer. The secret service might not be able to prevent injury by barrage of the shoes of every person in the room

Coward.

I know some of you hate him no matter what but if he went into the lions den where he knows he isn't welcomed and actually you know acted like s president and gave support to the community I would have had even a minute ounce of respect for him.

No good president trump - embarrassing.

commedieu

Banned
Because they are playing the political game

Sure Jan.

Everyone is playing 4d chess these days. -After- Donald trump won the presidency.

There is no political game anymore. A literal known bigot and fascist is running the country, the Republicans hold all the power. They're putting in supreme Court judges that will have an effect on the country well after this moron is out of office. Dems, and minorities lost this round of 4-8+years.

So to think that the NAACP is doing some Jedi mind trick is absurd. Like most with trump shock, they think it doesn't apply to them. Just like the HBCU fellows. That's the more likely scenario. Not that they are pulling a gotcha for absolutely no gain when a five year old could tell you trump doesn't like brown people, and doesn't value their vote. Likely because of future redistricting efforts he hired someone for.

Edit:

And what's with all this shit about it being a trap, or the Lions den as someone mentioned above.

Like the NAACP is like the damned apolo theater and those blacks are going to just go bakersfield chimp on him.

Sure Jan.

Everyone is playing 4d chess these days. -After- Donald trump won the presidency.

There is no political game anymore. A literal known bigot and fascist is running the country, the Republicans hold all the power. They're putting in supreme Court judges that will have an effect on the country well after this moron is out of office. Dems, and minorities lost this round of 4-8+years.

So to think that the NAACP is doing some Jedi mind trick is absurd. Like most with trump shock, they think it doesn't apply to them. Just like the HBCU fellows. That's the more likely scenario. Not that they are pulling a gotcha for absolutely no gain when a five year old could tell you trump doesn't like brown people, and doesn't value their vote. Likely because of future redistricting efforts he hired someone for.

Yes you're right the much more logical assumption is that the fucking NAACP were just totally are taken by surprise here...

The NAACP is just now realizing this? It took a declined invitation to realize he's a white nationalist?

Sorry, but are some of the leaders dumb?

I think that's just the way the article is written. Of course they knew. He already declined once, not to mention all the other shit he has said and done in his life.

commedieu

Banned
Yes you're right the much more logical assumption is that the fucking NAACP were just totally are taken by surprise here...

Some Affluent and well educated minorities are having a hard time grasping just how horrible Donald trump is. That the realities of yesteryear are sinking in. Total surprise, as in absolutely blindsided? No(edit: twice). But I imagine many didn't think the man would say no. Considering the historic significance of the NAACP. I'd prefer them to not invite him in the first place to make a statement, rather than get burned by him turning them down. I doubt trump would even notice the non-invite.

The man isnt for the presidency. He has no business being honored by a NAACP invitation.

There isn't much gained for the NAACP here. Which is the point of playing the game. And you don't need to keep up appearances with a fascist that tried to get 5 kids executed.

Edit: @ above, they tried once already and were shut down? Unbelievably clear how many shits the man doesn't have to give for them.

MIMIC

Banned
I remember going to the annual conventions as a kid (high schooler) with my local council. Fun times. If Trump were there, I probably wouldn't stay to hear him speak (or I'd go to see if he got booed or something).

Xe4

Banned
That's so shocking.
Said noone ever.
Probably for the best TBH. Better that he not even pretend to like black people. Plus his speech would be a god damn mess.

Top Bottom