• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Trump gears up for war with his own party

3liteDragon

Mar 3, 2020
There’s no longer a chief of staff to screen his calls and he keeps no predictable working hours. So an unspoken rule has governed Donald Trump’s calendar since he left Washington last month: To sit down with the former president, you must belong to his posh Palm Beach club or know how to contact him directly. But even that won’t always do it. For weeks now, Trump has rejected meetings with everyone from former South Carolina governor and 2024 hopeful Nikki Haley to House and Senate GOP candidates vying for his ear — preferring to spend his days leisurely calling friends, binging cable news, golfing with a rotating cast of partners and basking in standing ovations whenever he arrives for dinner on Mar-a-Lago’s outdoor patio. One person close to the ex-president said he’s become “unreachable” to anyone outside his limited circle of loyal aides, longtime friends and die-hard political allies.

That’s about to change.

According to three people familiar with the planning, Trump will soon begin vetting candidates at Mar-a-Lago who are eager to fulfill his promise to exact vengeance upon incumbent Republicans who’ve scorned him, and to ensure every open GOP seat in the 2022 midterms has a MAGA-approved contender vying for it. Trump already has received dozens of requests from prospective candidates seeking to introduce themselves and nab his endorsement, and formal meetings with them could begin as early as March. Now that Trump has survived his second Senate impeachment trial, he has shifted his focus to post-presidential activism — a venture mostly bankrolled by his new leadership PAC, Save America, which had $31 million in its coffers at the start of this month.

Earlier this week, Trump met with his former campaign manager Brad Parscale to discuss online fundraising components to support his efforts and how he can utilize social media despite his ban from popular websites like Twitter. Trump also met with House Minority Whip Steve Scalise (R-La.), and his eldest son Don Jr. earlier this week.

And on Saturday, Trump is expected to make an appearance at a fundraising dinner for Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) at Mar-a-Lago with guests including MAGA firebrands Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) and Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) according to an invitation.

“We are in the process of putting together a more formal schedule for candidates who want to come get his endorsement,” said senior Trump adviser Jason Miller, noting that Trump’s meetings so far have been limited to golf friends, Mar-a-Lago members and “folks with the ability to contact him themselves.” The planning for Trump’s coming revenge tour comes as other top Republicans try to cajole him into working with the party’s apparatus ahead of next year’s midterm elections, rather than recruiting rival candidates whose bids could complicate primaries and cost the GOP critical seats. Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) is expected to meet with Trump over the weekend to discuss his upcoming plans, including the former president’s desire to push for voter reforms at a time when the topic of election integrity has created a major split among elected Republicans.

Others in Trump’s orbit have encouraged him to wait and see if Republicans who’ve crossed him and are up for reelection next fall, such as Govs. Mike DeWine of Ohio and Brian Kemp of Georgia, attempt a peace offering before he launches a serious search for possible primary challengers.

“I’m more worried about 2022 than I’ve ever been. I don’t want to eat our own,” Graham told Fox News on the heels of a blistering statement Trump released this week accusing Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) of jeopardizing GOP candidates with his “lack of political insight, wisdom, skill, and personality.”

In the statement, Trump vowed to recruit insurgent candidates “who espouse Making America Great Again and our policy of America first” wherever he feels such challenges are necessary. The former president has already set his sights on ousting Reps. Liz Cheney of Wyoming, the No. 3 House Republican, and Fred Upton of Michigan, if he forgoes retirement. Both Cheney and Upton voted to impeach Trump following the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol. Rep. Peter Meijer, a second Michigan congressman who voted for impeachment, already faces a primary challenger from an Afghanistan veteran and self-declared Trump supporter.

Whether Graham can make a team player of the bitter ex-president largely depends on who else Trump is in contact with, and how often. He still speaks weekly with his former chief of staff Mark Meadows and continues to seek counsel from a host of former aides and political confidants whose appetites for revenge and disdain for the political establishment mirror his own. Recently, Trump hosted former Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi, and ex-campaign advisers Corey Lewandowski and Dave Bossie for dinner, all of whom remain influential fixtures within the MAGA movement.

“If you’re Trump, you don’t gotta play nice with these people anymore. You don’t have to do the whole fake political thing where you pretend to like people you don’t actually like,” said a person close to the president, suggesting that Trump is unlikely to seek feedback from Republicans who disagree with his approach. Some rank-and-file Republicans have encouraged the party’s leaders to tread carefully as they attempt to distance the party from Trump while he remains exceedingly popular among GOP voters. A POLITICO/Morning Consult poll conducted after Trump’s acquittal in the Senate found that nearly six in 10 Republican voters want him to maintain a powerful role in the party moving forward.

“A Republican Party that seeks to erase President Trump and fails to understand his appeal to working class voters is destined to lose elections in 2022, 2024 and beyond,” Rep. Jim Banks (R-Ind.), chair of the conservative Republican Study Committee, tweeted on Wednesday.

So far, Trump’s backing has gone to two of his most loyal allies, Arizona Republican Party Chair Kelli Ward, who received a recorded endorsement for her re-election bid, and former White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders, a candidate for Arkansas governor who was given a glowing stamp of approval via his Save America PAC. Since then, he has used the political arm to bash McConnell, share a polling memo touting his popularity, and provide a readout of his recent meeting with House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy.

He has refrained from endorsing other Trumpian candidates who have already entered races, waiting instead to roll out a series of endorsements later this spring and summer, according to a person familiar with the timeline.

In the meantime, Trump has appeared to enjoy transitioning into his post-presidency life. He has revelled in the news splash his rare statements have made, according to aides, but is otherwise spending his days like many of his wealthy Palm Beach peers: catching up on the news, making calls, taking leisurely meals and hitting the golf course with friends.

“He's really doing what all the other guys his age with that kind of net worth do,” said one Florida Republican operative close to the Trump family. But then, the person noted, Trump was spotted on his golf course Wednesday with Kid Rock.

Last edited:

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
shooting war GIF

Oct 26, 2018
If he does make his own party and stand firm never to bail and tell followers to go republican, the race will be split 3 ways.

Democrats will win forever as current repubs will split between repub and trump.

Reactions: OnionSnake

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
If he does make his own party and stand firm never to bail and tell followers to go republican, the race will be split 3 ways.

Democrats will win forever as current repubs will split between repub and trump.
Yep, Democrats are salivating at this

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Man the Republicans and Conservatives must be sweating. This is how a party gets burnt down.
Should we keep a track of OnionSnake OnionSnake post about 2022? You are more concerned about an election 2 years away than anything happening today. 😂

Look up the 2010 midterm elections

Last edited:

Kreen101

Sep 4, 2019
Yep, Democrats are salivating at this
The two-party system won't exist forever. It's not written in the Constitution that power will forever only be exchanged between the same two American parties. Throughout the Western world, old parties are disappearing and new formations that more closely reflect the new opposition (which used to be between Left and Right but now is more between Populism and Globalism) are created. Parties change to reflect the political evolution of the population. Ten years from now, you might have three parties in the US, a right-wing populist one (the Trump party), a centrist, Establishment party (from the merger of the GOP and the Dems) and a left-wing party (the AOC party).

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
The two-party system won't exist forever. It's not written in the Constitution that power will forever only be exchanged between the same two American parties. Throughout the Western world, old parties are disappearing and new formations that more closely reflect the new opposition (which used to be between Left and Right but now is more between Populism and Globalism) are created. Parties change to reflect the political evolution of the population. Ten years from now, you might have three parties in the US, a right-wing populist one (the Trump party), a centrist, Establishment party (from the merger of the GOP and the Dems) and a left-wing party (the AOC party).
It’s a natural order for FPTP voting systems to end up with 2 parties. You want to change that change the system man.

Would it surprise you to learn that a large percentage of Trump people, myself included, hate the GOP only slightly less than they do the Democrats?
Sure, but if you split the party you’re going to be handing a win to democrats every 2 years. People will wisen the fuck up to that eventually and coalesce back into one form of the GOP or another.

Kev Kev

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2012
Personally, I think more people hate him now more than ever, after Jan 6th. So I don’t think this will go anywhere

but he has surprised me in the past so who the fuck knows 🤷‍♂️😂

Reactions: BarringGaffner

Torrent of Pork

Gold Member
Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Sure, but if you split the party you’re going to be handing a win to democrats every 2 years. People will wisen the fuck up to that eventually and coalesce back into one form of the GOP or another.
I will give the Dems power for a generation if that's what it takes, it's not like the corporate GOP are any different.

SpartanN92

Sep 7, 2012
Kentucky, it’s not as bad as Australia
Man the Republicans and Conservatives must be sweating. This is how a party gets burnt down.
You liberals are the ones who should be sweating.
You know you are losing the House in the mid terms and likely the Senate (if not during the midterms for sure by 2024) 45%+ of the country believes this election was either fraudulent or at the very least incredibly suspect (and that number will keep growing, especially the more and more they actually see off Biden in action.) and your current top contenders for 2024 are Biden (who won’t make it til then) and the remarkably unpopular Kamala.

Y’all are fucked over the next 4 years.
Enjoy the victory now because I promise you it’s not going to last. This will be an election you’ll end up wishing you’d lost.

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
You know you are losing the House in the mid terms and likely the Senate (if not during the midterms for sure by 2024) 45%+ of the country believes this election was either fraudulent or at the very least incredibly suspect (and that number will keep growing, especially the more and more they actually see off Biden in action.) and your current top contenders for 2024 are Biden (who won’t make it til then) and the remarkably unpopular Kamala.

Enjoy the victory now because I promise you it’s not going to last. This will be an election you’ll end up wishing you’d lost.
The funniest thing about this post is calling me a liberal. Get your head out of the hornets nest for a second man and you’ll realize how wild you’re sounding.

BouncyFrag

Feb 10, 2014
Trump has revealed that the establishment Republicans are no better than Democrats and they may as well just change parties and get it over with.

People like Mitt Romney, Liz Cheney, Meghan McCain, Mitch McConnell, Kevin McCarthy etc...
Don’t forget the Lincoln project. They are rino darlings no more.

Reactions: SpartanN92

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
Yeah I'm really interested to see what comes from the ashes of the GOP civil war.
Same, they can’t ignore the trump populist wing but they also can’t win with only that as they have members not interested in trump at all and independents were put off by his divisive rhetoric. Going to be interesting to say the least

Reactions: belmarduk

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019

I don't know. It seems like the majority of the constituents agree with him and will go with whatever he dictates (75m votes after all). It's why even long time establishment Republicans bent over backwards for him, and continue to do so even after he's gone.

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
I don't know. It seems like the majority of the constituents agree with him and will go with whatever he dictates (75m votes after all). It's why even long time establishment Republicans bent over backwards for him, and continue to do so even after he's gone.
Hard to say, a nonzero amount of trump voters thought he was responsible for the Capitol Hill Insurrection after all.

Udham

Mar 3, 2011
Trump 2024 run is looking certain. Though I believe he shouldn’t.

Biden will be one-term president, may not even complete it. Comma-la is way over weight, can’t win her on own.

Pumpkin Seeds

Jul 13, 2018
The kids are still in cages. Still no second stimulus check. And when it comes, it won't be $2000. Troop movement expanding. The US is more friendly towards Russia rather than combative. Genocide by China is cultural differences. No COVID plan other than relying on what the previous admin did. "Fortifying" democracy. Pressure on social media to further censor. Capitol gated, barbed wire and all.

The public got bamboozled.

The Hamburglar

but get my takes from clown world with Ronald
Mar 6, 2016

So you’re saying when a baby loses and says it’s all fraud that the entire republic voting base is that dumb they all believe trump no matter what?

Last edited:
Reactions: Winter's End

Hotty Botty

Dec 12, 2019

Jesus, this guy is a lunatic. I always wondered how people get to this point.

Udham

Mar 3, 2011

Not thinking of the past or the elections, there was no fraud, but they DID fortify the election with the help of Big-tech.

2022 and 2024, will be Democrats' own doing.
"Promises(not) kept" will be the biggest issue. Stimulus cheques, College-loan waivers will not be forgotten.

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
It's funny how the people who hate him most seem to give him the most credit. This isn't Trump preparing for war, this is Trump setting down the burden of his time in office. All these super-scary things they imagine him doing? What's he going to do them with? The money he doesn't really have? The loyal followers he spurned? Trump's political power is past its due date, what little he has left is slowly dribbling down his leg.

You kids need to find the next boogeyman. Try to come up with one that is worthy of fear instead of ridicule this time.

Last edited:

Stefan.North

Mar 6, 2019
Two party system where one is constantly moving political field left and other is just making that movement slightly slower, is just slightly better than one party system.

Either have true two party system with both parties having consistent political additudes and difference between them, or have a multiparty system (with at least 3 parties having 20+% votes or 5 parties having 10+%). Voters NEED REAL ALTERNATIVES, and not only choosing between bad and worse.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Mar 15, 2007
Not really. I am actually looking forward to voting for a party with which I have more in common.

Change is good. It will probably remove tons of people who have parasitic roles.

Last edited:

Paulxo87

Oct 24, 2017

Yeah, but you know what? He's not really wrong. Dems are toast over the next four years. They managed to get rid of trump but at great cost to themselves. Nobody wants the extreme left BS they are pushing. Not even most democrats. I know right now Biden is just throwing crumbs at the progressives in order to shut them the fuck up but if he just continues to placate them over his term they are even more fucked than they are now.

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
Yeah, but you know what? He's not really wrong. Dems are toast over the next four years. They managed to get rid of trump but at great cost to themselves. Nobody wants the extreme left BS they are pushing. Not even most democrats. I know right now Biden is just throwing crumbs at the progressives in order to shut them the fuck up but if he just continues to placate them over his term they are even more fucked than they are now.
What extreme left BS is Biden/the Democrats pushing?

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
Crazy gender ideology, racist group identity ideology, equality of outcome instead of equality of opportunity, dangerous border policy for example.

All very radical and immoral extreme left BS.
Maybe I am missing it but where is this being pushed?

OnionSnake

Banned
Dec 29, 2020
If that's a serious question, you should really change or at least widen your sources for information.

And read his executive orders/actions so far.
I just want your perspective on what you think is extreme and why. If you don't want to share that's fine but that's why I'm asking

regawdless

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
I just want your perspective on what you think is extreme and why. If you don't want to share that's fine but that's why I'm asking

I've said above what is extreme. It's being pushed by him and his administration. You see it in his executive orders and actions, in the bills they try to get through, the things they say and decide.

ZippyTheOtter

Banned
Aug 29, 2020
If that's a serious question, you should really change or at least widen your sources for information.

And read his executive orders/actions so far.
So rather than respond to an honest question, you respond in more cryptics?
I've said above what is extreme. It's being pushed by him and his administration. You see it in his executive orders and actions, in the bills they try to get through, the things they say and decide.
You still haven't said what

regawdless

Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
You still haven't said what

I did say what he and his administration are pushing and where to find it. Read his executive orders, watch interviews/read statements by people in his administration, read the bills they try to push.

They are pushing the Critical Race Theory for gods sake, which is racist extreme left toxic garbage.

Petey-o

Nov 17, 2019

Nothing like believing an election was rigged to motivate people to vote in an election