• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump, GOP senators introduce bill to slash legal immigration levels

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Link. Didn't see a thread other than the thread on Steven and Acosta's debate over the issue.

President Trump on Wednesday endorsed a new bill in the Senate aimed at slashing legal immigration levels over a decade, a goal Trump endorsed on the campaign trail that would represent a profound change to U.S. immigration policies that have been in place for half a century.

Trump appeared with Sens. Tom Cotton (Ark.) and David Perdue (Ga.) at the White House to unveil a modified version of a bill the senators first introduced in April to cut immigration by half from the current level of more than 1 million foreigners each year who receive green cards granting them permanent legal residence in the United States.

“This would be the most significant reform to the immigration system in half a century,” said Trump, flanked by the senators in the Roosevelt Room. “It is a historic and very vital proposal.”

The legislation would mark a major shift in U.S. immigration laws, which over the past half century have permitted a growing number of immigrants to come to the country to work or join relatives already living here legally. Though the bill faces dim prospects in the Senate, where Republicans hold a narrow majority, the president's event came as the White House sought to move past a major political defeat on repealing the Affordable Care Act by pivoting to issues that resonate with Trump's core supporters.

Trump had met twice previously at the White House with Cotton and Perdue to discuss the details of their legislation, which is titled the Reforming American Immigration for Strong Employment (RAISE) Act.

The new proposal calls for drastic cuts to family-based immigration programs that allow siblings and grown children of U.S. citizens and legal residents to apply for green cards. (Minor children and spouses would still be able to apply.) A point system based on factors such as English ability, education levels and job skills would be created to rank applicants for the 140,000 employment-based green cards distributed annually.

In addition, the senators also propose to cap refugee levels at 50,000 per year and to end a visa diversity lottery that has awarded 50,000 green cards a year, mostly to areas in the world that traditionally do not have as many immigrants to the United States, including Africa.

Opponents of slashing immigration levels said immigrants help boost the economy and that studies have shown they commit crimes at lower levels than do native-born Americans.

“This is just a fundamental restructuring of our immigration system which has huge implications for the future,” said Kevin Appleby, the senior director of international migration policy for the Center for Migration Studies. “This is part of a broader strategy by this administration to rid the country of low-skilled immigrants they don't favor in favor of immigrants in their image.”

So, we're going to start by denying all immigration paperwork for those seeking employment at Trump properties, right?

No?

Kensation

In regards to Ls:
a8c.jpg

So remove a ton of potential people whom can create jobs and stimulate the economy and do nothing about our education system. Never mind just how fucked up it is to close doors on eligible peoples.

FyreWulff

But even at current legal and illegal immigration levels, there's jobs out there that people aren't working that exist..

kcp12304

Banned
My parents would never had made it into this country with that kind of policy. Dad barely spoke English, poor, not a great education. Yet my dad is one of those "job creators" politicians like to talk about. Hiring working class people who Steven Miller and his ilk say they want to protect from immigrants. We pay our taxes and give to local causes. Was able to come because his uncle who sponsored many of my relatives to come to this country. They, their children and their grandchildren all live productive lives and contribute back.

This is all based on fear and will hurt America. Not to mention Trump is doing things that hurt people more than any immigrant could.

Cheebo

Banned
Im in favor for this.

Anything to increase the quality of migrants is a plus.
Who the fuck decides what makes a immigrant "quality"?

Using English language as a criteria for immigration is racist. Full stop.

Ever read the transcription on the STATUE OF LIBERTY??

gcubed

at some point you'd think they'd learn that appealing to same 25-30% of the people who still think you are doing an ok job isn't the best long term strategy.

For something that is only appealing to a minority of the minority and has no shot at passing in this universe.... its just dumb, and steven miller could fall off a cliff

Thanks for making this thread.

remember that old "we don't have a problem with immigration, just illegal immigration" talking point? The pretenses are falling away.

Ekai

Im in favor for this.

Given how damn annoyingly hard, long and difficult immigration is in the first place, I sincerely have to question how much you know about the process in the first place.

Dekmental

Banned
What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? What exactly makes for a low-quality immigrant? You the type to believe that we're just opening the floodgates for rapists and murderers? Ugh.

Point based on the criteria of education and skills.

Immigration should be based about you can provide immediately tot he country.

And i really dont like how many family immigration schemes that they are currently.

Couldnt care less about how bad your situation back home is

Brinbe

LOL

This is what they should be encouraging. So transparently racist, it's kinda hilarious.

We'll take you here in Canada.

Daria

Im in favor for this.

Expand on this for the sake of conversation or else stop drive-by shitposting and go back to UFC threads.

What the fuck is that even supposed to mean? What exactly makes for a low-quality immigrant? You the type to believe that we're just opening the floodgates for rapists and murderers? Ugh.

Checked his post history and he tried to defend rape in that thread about dudes wife a week or so ago. So probably, yeah.

all of this is based on lies and ideology, not facts, not numbers and not dollars.

blaming low wages on immigrants? LOLOLOL that's rich coming from the party who continuously votes against raising the minimum wage

dhlt25

I actually would love to see a point based system. Would make it a lot easier for people like me who are on H1B to immigrate. However, the family greencard is huge in Hispanic and Asian communities. Pretty much 80% of vietnamese people I know either came here on a family based sponsorship or their parents did. This bill has no chance of passing.

And i really dont like how many family immigration schemes that they are currently.

Before people pile on you, isn't this essentially what Canada does?

Yeah, you are a Nazi. Good thing you were born in this country.

Daria

education != skill level. Who do you think helped build this country during the industrial area and so on?

But the entitlement steaming off of the bolded section. *kisses fingers*

Top Bottom