• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Trump Is Right" Posters At British Anti-Islamism March

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cerium

British anti-Islamism campaigners held “Trump Is Right” banners as they marched in Birmingham on Saturday, as part of a protest by the relaunched Pegida UK organisation.

Trump, who is running for the US Republican nomination, has called for all Muslims to be banned from travelling to the US until the country “can figure out what is going on”. Banners were printed with his face and a link to the Pegida UK website.

Trump Hits Out at Angela Merkel, Warns of 'End of Europe'

Trump on Wednesday hit out at Angela Merkel, the German chancellor, for allowing thousands of refugees into her country. "I think Angela Merkel made a tragic mistake with the migrants," he told French conservative weekly Valeurs Actuelles.

Trump added that failing to tackle the crisis could lead to disaster for the union. "If you don't treat the situation competently and firmly, yes, it's the end of Europe. You could face real revolutions," Trump said.

On the latter position, if nowhere else, he is surprisingly close to the views of European Council President Donald Tusk, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte and Germany’s own President Joachim Gauck.

Dougald

"Islam = Nazism" without a shred of irony. Right next to a poster that complains about the left wing, no less

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Pegida douchebags endorsing Trump and bringing Nazism at an anti-muslim demonstration in the UK.

What an embarrassment of riches.

Nyx

Not sure how many people were there, but everytime there is a Pegida/Anti-Muslim/Anti-Refugees protest here in The Netherlands it's usually just 30-100 people showing up...

That makes me happy, cause it means the majority is nothing like them.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ters-stage-anti-islam-silent-march-birmingham

Robinson said on Friday night he met a man with a swastika tattoo on his finger who said he was going to the Pegida UK march. “Six years on and I’m still having to tell you: if you’re a Nazi, if you’re a racist, and you’re watching this – you’re not welcome on the streets in the UK with us,” he said to cheers.

Interesting policy, let's see what happens.

Addressing the lower-than-expected turnout,

Oh.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Not sure how many people were there, but everytime there is a Pegida/Anti-Muslim/Anti-Refugees protest here in The Netherlands it's usually just 30-100 people showing up...

Your next Prime Minister could be Geert Wilders, though...

Browny

Banned
Your next Prime Minister could be Geert Wilders, though...
Still needs to double his seats in the polls, since he is unable to cooperate with anyone. The only parties that could have wanted that, did a few years back and he blew up the agreements between them. Last time Wilders also was higher in the polls then his actual result.

benjipwns

Banned
In January 2015, Pegida sympathisers held their first rally in Oslo, Norway with around 200 protesters,[159] but this support quickly collapsed.[160][161] In neighbouring Denmark, around 200 protesters marched in the capital, Copenhagen.[162] In the same month, a Spanish branch applied for a protest outside the main mosque in Madrid, which was rejected by government officials.[163] Marches were planned in Switzerland and Antwerp, Belgium but not permitted due to anti-terrorism raids in Verviers one week earlier.[164] The Antwerp demonstration was finally held on 2 March 2015 without the mayor's permission. About 350 persons were present and about 227 of them received a fine for participating in an unauthorised demonstration.

On 28 February 2015, Pegida UK held its first protest in Newcastle upon Tyne, with around 400 attending. Around 1,000 people turned up to oppose, led by former MP George Galloway.[165] There was a small Pegida demonstration in London on 4 April 2015, with a counter-demonstration by anti-fascist groups.[166]

The first Pegida demonstration in Sweden gathered eight people in Malmö and 5,000 opponents.[167][168] When Pegida called a demonstration in Linköping they gathered four persons.[169] In Uppsala Pegida managed to gather about ten persons.[170] Following several failed demonstrations and internal strife the Swedish branch dissolved.[171]

A demonstration on 28 March 2015 in Montreal, Canada by sympathisers of Pegida was cancelled when hundreds of people gathered to counter-protest.[172] A demonstration on 19 September 2015 in Toronto was attended by about a dozen members of Pegida Canada. The demonstration ended in a melee with counter-protesters who outnumbered Pegida members about twenty to one.[173]

On 23 January 2016, representatives of fourteen like-minded allies, including the Austrian, Bulgarian and Dutch branches of Pegida, met with Lutz Bachmann and Tatjana Festerling in the Czech Republic to sign the Prague Declaration, which states their belief that the "history of Western civilization could soon come to an end through Islam conquering Europe," thus formalizing their membership in the Fortress Europe coalition against that eventuality.[174][175] Other signatories present were: Blok proti islámu, Eesti Konservatiivne Rahvaerakond, Lega Nord, Odvaha, Ruch Narodowy and Úsvit - Národní Koalice.
neat

Oversoul

Banned
While I don't think their particularly sophisticated, it's great that there is a counter culture growing against unbridled mass importation of a different culture with different values.

Dryk

Everytime the quote “until we can figure out what is going on” shows up in a serious news article I get really mad

Wow I didn't know that UK has PEGIDA now. Have fun with them.

Do German PEGIDA also support Trump? I never heard about that. They love Putin though

norinrad

I wouldn't celebrate yet, these movements always start small, then slowly they increase. Heck even people you always thought were sane could end up joining.

Famassu

While I don't think their particularly sophisticated, it's great that there is a counter culture growing against unbridled mass importation of a different culture with different values.
The far right's values are about as far from modern liberal values as extreme islamist's, so this is about the dumbest argument of support for hypocritical morons like these.

Oversoul

Banned

'Damn Left Wing Voters, they are the same as rapists and murderers'

Wut

That's not what it says.

It's a list of things that get "imported" in their eyes. Those things are separated.

Refugees & economical immigrants generally are expected to cost a lot of money in the short therm and end up dependant on the state. Future left voters right there. So you could say there even is a hint of truth to it.

And once again another immigration thread where people buy into the fallacy that because native populations commit crime people aren't allowed to be against importing foreign criminals.

Ah Tommy Robinson, he's an interesting one. Great interview a week or two ago on The Rubin Report, well worth watching. He worked with Quilliam when he left the EDL yet he says such reformist Muslims are being dishonest and aren't truly Muslim at all, and all the while wants us to believe that his followers are simply worried about Islamism and aren't motivated by any form of bigotry - a claim that's hard to swallow.

'Trump is right' isn't exactly a Nazi salute though. Right about what? Wanting to freeze Muslim immigration? There is clearly more of a hint of fascism there sure, but then two thirds of Republicans agree with that particular position. There have been actual 'Hitler was right' placards at other rallies in the UK.

That's not what it says.

It's a list of things that get "imported" in their eyes. Those things are separated.

Refugees & economical immigrants generally are expected to cost a lot of money in the short therm and end up dependant on the state. Future left voters right there. So you could say there even is a hint of truth to it.

Pish. Listing "left wing voters" alongside "rape" and "murder" is a pretty cheap way of trying to create an equivalence - there's no sophisticated argument here about dependents on the state being more likely to vote for a left-wing party in a future election.

Pish. Listing "left wing voters" alongside "rape" and "murder" is a pretty cheap way of trying to create an equivalence - there's no sophisticated argument here about dependents on the state being more likely to vote for a left-wing party in a future election.
Welcome to politics. It has been a while since I heard a sophisticated argument from either protesters or politicians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom