• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump just ended a long tradition of celebrating Ramadan at the White House

entremet

The Fedora is strong when it comes to one line shitposters.

It's not even about that, but the criticism lacks historical perspective and awareness of current geopolitical issues. Governments, even secular ones, acknowledge religious traditions. It's just a poorly made argument. I'm sure Clinton and Bush weren't Muslim lol.

We do know Barack is though ;).

effzee

Good.

I'm Muslim and the last thing I want is some insincere gesture from a piece of shit anti-Muslim asshole like Trump.

Aselith

He just cant stop eating, you know? It's like a shark but he needs to keep taking in delicious McDonalds food rather than water.

Lamel

Banned
Cool story about Pres. Jefferson.

Edgy posters out in full force. It was a harmless gesture of respect. You guys get so bent out of shape with religious topics.

Pretty much this.

I'm all for separation of church and state, but acknowledging this tradition isn't going to destroy secularism. Same with Christmas or Easter. It's just fun.

Sami+

Whatever. I'm Arab, formerly Muslim, I'd rather he not play pretend either. Hopefully he chokes in his rubber steak one of these days.

Diablos

On one hand it's an erosion of tradition

On the other hand... I would think most Muslims are glad this orange turd won't stain their holy month

EGOMON

On one hand it's an erosion of tradition

On the other hand... I would think most Muslims are glad this orange turd won't stain their holy month
Yup most of the replies here are because of the insensitive and ignorant post from some gaffers toward this Muslim tradition, calling it stupid or dumb is an insult to those who practice it.

BajiBoxer

Banned
It's recognition of numerous cultures' holiday, one that has made major contributions to society. Also recognition of an important foreign policy action in the early days of our Republic.

Not sure any self respecting Muslim would show up for a Trump White House Ramadan event, or have any warm feelings as a result. Maybe he could've invited Erdogan over for a party though. Had a sleep over.

Beartruck

It's recognition of numerous cultures' holiday, one that has made major contributions to society. Also recognition of an important foreign policy action in the early days of our Republic.

Not sure any self respecting Muslim would show up for a Trump White House Ramadan event, or have any warm feelings as a result. Maybe he could've invited Erdogan over for a party though. Had a sleep over.
Erdogan's bodyguards start a pillowfight, but the cases have bricks in them.

Xe4

Banned
I get the argument (and even agree with to a point) that religion should be kept separate from the White House. However, seeing Christmas and Easter (and not to mention something like prayer breakfast) are so clearly there, I can't feel as if ignoring Ramadan is gross and exclusionary. Like, it's one dinner I don't see what the big deal is in celebrating it. I'd rather have our presidents celebrating all major religions and beliefs or none of them.

Ideally though, I wish the White House wasn't so interested in celebrating Christian holidays. There are other ways to celebrate Arabic culture other than an Islamic religious holiday.

entremet

I get the argument (and even agree with to a point) that religion should be kept separate from the White House. However, seeing Christmas and Easter (and not to mention something like prayer breakfast) are so clearly there, I can't feel as if ignoring Ramadan is gross and exclusionary. Like, it's one dinner I don't see what the big deal is in celebrating it. I'd rather have our presidents celebrating all major religions and beliefs or none of them.

Ideally though, I wish the White House wasn't so interested in celebrating Christian holidays. There are other ways to celebrate Arabic culture other than an Islamic religious holiday.
Christmas and Easter have secular observances at this point.

Xe4

Banned
Christmas and Easter have secular observances at this point.

Sure. It doesn't mean they're not fundamentally Christian holidays. It's why you see church attendance peaking around those times of year.

It's also why the observance of Christmas by the state varies depending on how Christian (or how much Christian population) a nation is.

offcieholidayscom_world_map_xmas_onpage.jpg

I can't take the argument seriously that Christmas is to be celebrated, as it can be seen as secular, but Ramadan is not. Especially if the commemorative dinner is seen as totally secular (I'm not sure if it is or not).

Stupid tradition, no big loss.

So I'm sure you think Christmas, Easter, Hanukkah and all the other holidays celebrated in the White House can be easily reduced to "stupid traditions", and as such following your logic, would also be "no big loss(es)." If you argue otherwise, you just exposed how flawed your statement really is.

As far as I'm concerned, the only stupid thing here is the time you took to write such an asinine and clueless post. Asinine because even if you disagree with the way in which people celebrate religion and its traditions, ultimately what is indisputable is that people have the freedom to religion. For such a fundamental freedom, I'm amazed at the hypocrisy in this post, and the thread as a whole, where some of anti-religion users are making a comment about how religion is toxic/stupid/dumb whilst disregarding that they along with people of religion have the right to religious freedom.

No one is asking people to be forced to abide by traditions, but considering the president of America represents the entire country (and the demographics in which said country represents), Trump's move represents the selective (often hypocritical) treatment of certain religions, intolerance of others and bigotry that has become synonymous with the United States of America as of recent years. So people ITT should not be so ridiculously obtuse and naïve that this is a so-called beneficial "secular" move when other religions have no problem being represented in the White House (Easter Egg Roll).

Aerogamer

Neo Member

Arabs are only around 20 or so percent of the world's Muslim population.

Occam

I actually prefer people here dumping on Ramadan because they're very anti-religion in any form since it's more honest about their beliefs than these people concern trolling like pseudointellectuals about fasting being unhealthy lol

I'm anti-religion, too. Especially the organized kind. It's unhealthy for humanity to be bogged down by codified superstition, made-up rules and deities modeled after its own desires and to limit itself inside those sad little voluntary mental prisons. If left unchecked, more often than not those religions turn into clubs that murder those who don't want to join or those who want to leave. Religion is poison of the mind, and not a magical road towards salvation, universal understanding, peace on earth and a way to preserve nature and live together in harmony. Better idea: Free your mind, select a good philosophy that suits you and makes sense, live an ethical life. Even a simple idea like "do no harm" is better than any religion.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."-Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 BC – AD 65)

I'm anti-religion, too. Especially the organized kind. It's unhealthy for humanity to be bogged down by codified superstition, made-up rules and deities modeled after its own desires and to limit itself inside those sad little voluntary mental prisons. If left unchecked, more often than not those religions turn into clubs that murder those who don't want to join or those who want to leave. Religion is poison of the mind, and not a magical road towards salvation, universal understanding, peace on earth and a way to preserve nature and live together in harmony. Better idea: Free your mind, select a good philosophy that suits you and makes sense, live an ethical life. Even a simple idea like "do no harm" is better than any religion.

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful."-Lucius Annaeus Seneca (c. 4 BC – AD 65)

Holy crap, how condescending and arrogant do you want to be?

Please tell me more how I should be freed from the shackles of Islam!

It's like you picked up "Atheists guide to religion 101" and decided to spam some edgy quotes.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Hmm, I think the idea of celebrating the end of Ramadan with a feast without even participating in Ramadan is stupid. So I approve that Trump's admin doesn't continue with t at. Might be the only normal thing Trump has done so far, must be by accident.

Top Bottom