• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump lost my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.

RowdyReverb

I consider myself to be neutral politically, and my vote has tended to swing from one side to the other in previous elections. I'm not a particular fan of my choices in this election, especially given the hideous mudslinging from both sides, so I've been waiting to decide whom to vote for/against or whether to even vote at all. I've been doing my best to keep an open mind and see if either one will say something that will swing me to one side, and up until recently, I was coming up empty-handed.

For a long time I kept thinking that Trump would at some point pull out of this nose dive and perhaps reveal that he was exaggerating his persona to galvanize the right with the intent to take his foot off that pedal as the general election neared. Now, after his poor show at the last debate and the recent recordings of his misogynistic attitudes and subsequent non-apology, I just can't envision myself voting for the guy.

While both candidates feel slimy to me this year, at least Clinton seems to have an idea of how to be a president. Sorry, but she gives me the impression that she is a bit cynical and possibly "crooked" behind closed doors, and I'm not sure she's personable enough for Americans to actually like her over the next 4 years, but she has enough outward tact and political clout at least for basic diplomacy, something Trump lacks severely. And while her husband may be equally detestable in his attitudes towards women, he is not the actual candidate in this race.
I don't expect to be a proud supporter of Clinton in the election, and I remain skeptical about whether or not she will make a good president, but I feel like I can't in good conscience not vote against Trump. My traditionally conservative friends and family still seem torn about whether or not they'll toe the line and vote Trump. Some have considered abstaining from voting altogether, but I wonder if these final weeks will have the same effect on them as it has on me.

RowdyReverb

So none of his racist, sexist fuckery put you off before this point?

Amazing.

I think it's kinda sad the horrible racist stuff wasn't enough but now he's gone too far
I'm happy he's lost your vote.

I'm sad it took this long.

This...what took you or anyone else so long?

As I said, I was under the impression that he was pandering to a certain audience and would not actually carry these ideals with him to the presidential election.

blackflag

I consider myself to be neutral politically, and my vote has tended to swing from one side to the other in previous elections. I'm not a particular fan of my choices in this election, especially given the hideous mudslinging from both sides, so I've been waiting to decide whom to vote for/against or whether to even vote at all. I've been doing my best to keep an open mind and see if either one will say something that will swing me to one side, and up until recently, I was coming up empty-handed.

For a long time I kept thinking that Trump would at some point pull out of this nose dive and perhaps reveal that he was exaggerating his persona to galvanize the right with the intent to take his foot off that pedal as the general election neared. Now, after his poor show at the last debate and the recent recordings of his misogynistic attitudes and subsequent non-apology, I just can't envision myself voting for the guy.

While both candidates feel slimy to me this year, at least Clinton seems to have an idea of how to be a president. Sorry, but she gives me the impression that she is a bit cynical and possibly "crooked" behind closed doors, and I'm not sure she's personable enough for Americans to actually like her over the next 4 years, but she has enough outward tact and political clout at least for basic diplomacy, something Trump lacks severely. And while her husband may be equally detestable in his attitudes towards women, he is not the actual candidate in this race.
I don't expect to be a proud supporter of Clinton in the election, and I remain skeptical about whether or not she will make a good president, but I feel like I can't in good conscience not vote against Trump. My traditionally conservative friends and family still seem torn about whether or not they'll toe the line and vote Trump. Some have considered abstaining from voting altogether, but I wonder if these final weeks will have the same effect on them as it has on me.

Oh so you were ok with all of the racism but this is where you draw the line? And what? You want a cookie?

Slizeezyc

8fmWB7D.gif

Why did he have it in the first place?

Guy has been a horrible dung from the start

I remain skeptical about whether or not she will make a good president,

I think no one in the whole world right now is as prepared as HRC to be POTUS. I wish I was able to choose her over the shit-shows that run my country

For a long time I kept thinking that Trump would at some point pull out of this nose dive and perhaps reveal that he was exaggerating his persona to galvanize the right

rrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiight.

but everything else before this "poor show" was just fine. got it.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I chuckle when people say there's mudslinging on both sides when all Hillary has been doing is pointing out all the horrible things he's said. That's not mudslinging.

Acerac

Banned
So none of his racist, sexist fuckery put you off before this point?

Amazing.
I'm kind of amazed that it took this to get people to realize what a terrible person Trump is. I'm glad, don't get me wrong, but it's not like he's been subtle in his approach.

As I said, I was under the impression that he was pandering to a certain audience and would not actually carry these ideals with him to the presidential election.

Nah fam that was all real. And the repercussions of starting such dialogue and rhetoric make the pandering a problem even if he did or didn't mean it.

How the hell is Trump not "crooked"?

So. Much. This. It bothers me when people make the dichotomy between Hillary and Trump to be "she's a criminal, and he's an asshole."

Nonono, Trump is both a criminal and an asshole. And there's more proof to him being a criminal than Hillary.

Condom

Why do people who consider themselves neutral always end up actually being (very) rightwing?

Is it ignorance? Is it arrogance ('I'm above left or right durrr')? Don't kid yourself.

I find it hard to believe that anything could get his voter base to change their minds. It seems like a drop in the ocean at this point.

BigDug13

Republicans have done a fantastic job of making Hillary look really bad, like close to Trump level of unfavorables bad. She's also done a pretty good job of being secretive and some questionable decisions in pursuit of her ambitions.

So it's no surprise that some people were still on the fence at this late stage. No need to pile on to someone who has seen the light.

RowdyReverb

This...what took you or anyone else so long?

Why is there a rush to have your mind made up on whom to vote for? I felt that it was proper to give as much time to evaluate my decision as possible.
Why did he have it in the first place?

Guy has been a horrible dung from the start
He didn't have my vote. I was undecided

Crayon

Pandering to that audience is not acceptable for the sake of a win. We can't just do anything to win or we will be monsters.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
I'm glad you're willing to change your opinion, OP.

My traditionally conservative friends and family still seem torn about whether or not they'll toe the line and vote Trump.
Try to convince your family that politics is not a team sport. It's not a console race. Pick the candidate most suited for the job during each election. Country over party.

So even if it wasn't really him it was cool that he was pandering to this audience and givin them a voice?

why would you consider voting for someone who would do that?

Well if you come from the perspective of focusing on something like fiscal conservatism, I can see that it would be hard to completely let go of Trump and vote for Clinton.

I really doubt most educated and reasonable republican/republican-leaning people, are having an easy time with their decision.

Republicans have done a fantastic job of making Hillary look really bad, like close to Trump level of unfavorables bad. She's also done a pretty good job of being secretive and some questionable decisions in pursuit of her ambitions.

So it's no surprise that some people were still on the fence at this late stage. No need to pile on to someone who has seen the light.

Pretty much.

Though I'm not sure what op expected, frankly.

Trouble

Banned

So being racist/sexist/etc is not OK, but pretending to be all those things to get votes is?

This is me right now. Where have you been the past year?? And you thinking he was putting on an act to appeal to a disgusting base is quite frankly naive. Especially with the massive pile of shit on him that supports what people have been saying about Trump: he's disgusting scum and unfit to be president, let alone a decent human being.

Tabris

I wish there was a Trump |OT| because the amount of threads now is insane.

I really liked following the reality tv show known as American Politics but it's becoming too much now. But I do get how important this is for Americans.

Johndoey

Banned
Why? Even if it was all fake shouldn't you have an issue with him attempting to court the type of people that would react well to blatant racism and sexism.

The fact he refused to condemn support from actual white supremacists didn't do it for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom