• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Trump makes way for Turkey operation against Kurds in Syria

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009

The US says it is stepping aside for an imminent Turkish operation against Kurdish-led forces within Syria that have until now been a key US ally.

Kurdish militias played a major role in defeating the Islamic State (IS) group, but Turkey regards them as terrorists.

The US - which has hundreds of troops in north-eastern Syria - has begun to withdraw them from a border area where Turkey seeks to set up a "safe zone".

Syria's main Kurdish-led group called the US move a "stab in the back".
"Turkey will soon be moving forward with its long-planned operation into northern Syria," the statement said.

"The United States Armed Forces will not support or be involved in the operation, and United States forces, having defeated the Isis territorial 'Caliphate', will no longer be in the immediate area."

The White House also said that Turkey would take over all responsibility for IS fighters captured by Kurdish forces over the past two years.
This represents a significant shift in US policy - President Trump acting against the advice of many in the Pentagon and state department.

It risks a recasting of alliances in Syria. The Kurds may be forced to seek an accommodation with the Syrian government. The potential chaos could facilitate a resurgence of IS. Indeed, the US pullback of its forces from the border area may herald the full withdrawal of troops from Syria that Mr Trump has long wanted.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
This is ABSOLUTELY despicable. The kurds are NOT terrorists, in fact they were a valuable asset against ISIS. Americans volunteered to help the Kurds. Turks are persecuting them into non existence. What a fucking terrible policy. Fuck this administration.
I think it goes "if you can't fight it, legalize it".
Trump doesn't have enough leverage over Turkey (he wasn't even able to stop them from buying Russian S400) to prevent it and got enough enemies to fight as is.

MisterFalcon

Mar 12, 2013
Sucks for the Kurds. I would not blame them if they released the tens of thousands of ISIS fighters they are holding, otherwise they would become the newest Turkish paramilitary troops.

Corderlain

Jun 12, 2018
I've wanted us out of the middle east forever but this does leave a bad taste in my mouth. Shouldn't be abandoning allies.

Reactions: Alcibiades

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I don't think we should be in Syria at this point, but it feels like this could have been planned out better. This seems very abrupt.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I've wanted us out of the middle east forever but this does leave a bad taste in my mouth. Shouldn't be abandoning allies.
Any troop removal, anywhere in the world, can be spun by warhawks as 'abandoning allies', or 'making way for a X incursion'.

And to some degree, they aren't wrong. If one power leaves, something will fill that vacuum. Absolutely.

So you need to dig deep and decide, reread your first sentence and choose 1. Because there is always a reason not to leave, always a reason for endless war.

azz0r

May 24, 2005
forums.wuggawoo.co.uk
Any troop removal, anywhere in the world, can be spun by warhawks as 'abandoning allies', or 'making way for a X incursion'.

And to some degree, they aren't wrong. If one power leaves, something will fill that vacuum. Absolutely.

So you need to dig deep and decide, reread your first sentence and choose 1. Because there is always a reason not to leave, always a reason for endless war.
You'd eat shit for that orange monster.

Reactions: VanEs

Lamel

Nov 2, 2009
Our foreign policy in the middle east continues to be a big "yikes."

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
We aren’t going to stay in the Middle East forever
It's not about staying there forever. It's about the US losing its "American Exceptionalism" status in the world. It's losing its clout globally with the emergence of the trash that is Trump.

Trump's blunders and continued failures on the global stage will deteriorate the US' stance in the world.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
It's not about staying there forever. It's about the US losing its "American Exceptionalism" status in the world. It's losing its clout globally with the emergence of the trash that is Trump.

Trump's blunders and continued failures on the global stage will deteriorate the US' stance in the world.
how are we losing our american exceptionalism, and how many apology tours from the next president until you'll call america based again

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

Could you shelve your privileged little TDS condition for a moment and reexamine what you are saying? We're pulling out of a conflict zone. That is good news.

womfalcs3

May 11, 2007
how are we losing our american exceptionalism, and how many apology tours from the next president until you'll call america based again
See Turkey's decision here? Turkey would've had a hard time making this same decision in the past due to iAmerican exceptionalism. Now, that is deteriorated.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: VanEs and Tesseract
Jan 9, 2018
If he would double down on this and go ahead and finally withdraw masses of troops from all our involvements in the Middle East and follow it up with diverting that funding to domestic defense and infrastructure, I'd be all for it.

Reactions: Zangiefy360

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apr 9, 2009
I'm ok with this. That whole region is a shithole and there is no reason for us to be there.

Muslims getting systematically erased in China but Muslim tribes too busy slaughtering each other across Syria and Yemen. Both Turks and Kurds are sunnis so it makes even less sense. A hundred years from now fighters in the middle east will still be bombing mosques and exploding cars in public squares while the rest of the world, including even a lagging Africa, will have moved on.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
You'd eat shit for that orange monster.
I'm the anti-war, anti-corporate, anti-establishment, pro-liberty far left of only 10 or 20 years ago.

I've never voted Republican in my life. I despised Trump long before it was cool to despise him [mostly NYC related]. I didn't even pay attention to his candidacy or presidency until Pelosi made such a big deal trying to stop the State of the Union, so I finally sat down and listened to him.

And yeah, for the first time ever, I'm voting Republican in 2020. He won me over, to some degree, but really it's because the left has jumped the shark and turned into a festering, corrupt, disgusting mess.

The left has proven to me they can not be trusted with power. That they have absolutely no understanding of economics, no respect for liberty, that they have become fully compromised by the disgusting and broken ideology of intersectionalism. They have become far more dangerously authoritarian than the right has ever been.

Obama claimed to be a missionary for peace. Instead, he gave us drone kills, bombing several more countries than even Bush did. He created the kill list. He authorized the extra-judicial executions of American citizens. And the left cheered that asshole on, even gave him the Nobel Peace Prize.

I've been railing against the American war machine for decades, and the left has become so unhinged they now even defend endless war when Trump works for peace.

So yeah. Fuck off. I stand with Trump. I am anti-war. Pro-liberty. The left has lost me forever, and far from ashamed of that, I'm ashamed many of the people I once stood with have shown they were never for the liberty they claimed they supported, and turned to cheering on censorship and worse the second they could. So where once I criticized America for its oversteps, I now understand how important America is, and how well our founders understood the real dangers of authoritarian thought..

This is one reason why the media villifies Trump:

If you still support Democrats, you are on the wrong team. Ask yourself why the media, the establishment, the war machine, all hate him so much.

Last edited:

pennythots

May 14, 2019

American foreign policy has been a joke for decades and exceptionally awful with Bush and Obama. Trump is at worst no different from those two.

ChuckeRearmed

Jan 31, 2018
Good. SDF and kurds can't do anything without USA support so instead of dragging the conflict for eternity, lets leave to turks.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
See Turkey's decision here? Turkey would've had a hard time making this same decision in the past due to iAmerican exceptionalism. Now, that is deteriorated.
Partisanship aside, any current US President would be dealing with nearly identical issues at this time. The world is different now than the end of the 20th century. In reality it has been different since 1991. However, the world is just now readjusting and settling into changes that are almost 30 years old at this point.

Also, from an economic/defense standpoint, the US has very little reason to want to police the Middle East anymore, as an energy exporter. We don't have nearly as much of a vested interest in the region as we did in recent history.

Reactions: SpartanN92

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast

American exceptionalism doesn't mean fucking up foreign countries to generate profit for the military industrial complex.

"the world" already knows the USA can reduce any other country in the world to dust if it really wanted to. Wasting money on forever wars is a fool's errand.

The USA should be exceptional by innovating awesome tech, making boatloads of money, and exploring the galaxy.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Apr 11, 2007
Yupe...the tried and tested American strategy in the middle east- hurt the few good people!

Man you Americans suck at foreign policy since second world war- always at the wrong side of history. What kind of clowns do you have running your foreign policy?
The kurds are one of few somewhat secular liberal people there!

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
Yupe...the tried and tested American strategy in the middle east- hurt the few good people!

Man you Americans suck at foreign policy since second world war- always at the wrong side of history. What kind of clowns do you have running your foreign policy?
Since you aren't American, you're welcome to your opinion, but it means less than nothing.

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017

I don't know about you, but I consider the fall of the Soviet Union to be very significant. What has your country done?

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018

I realize your bed is completely soaked at this point, but this should make you feel better.

We're still exceptional, instead of sacrificing lives and $$$ indefinitely we're trying a new approach. In my opinion, we're upping our game.

Last edited:
Reactions: A Regular Guy