• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Trump makes way for Turkey operation against Kurds in Syria

Mar 14, 2018

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
you know you fucked up when even fox and friends turns on trump:

"The Media" in the USA of both the Left and Right persuasion has always supported more war, more intervention since WW2. They beat that drum all day every day. Any President who decides to reduce troop levels or the number of overseas bases should expect to be hammered for it in the media.

Again, I say this without trying to stir up partisanship. It is what it is. Conversely, the reverse is also true. Even this President was nearly universally praised for appearing to escalate the war in Afghanistan.

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
Thank you, Mr. PRESIDENT!
Trump Forever!
No more endless unwinnable wars that cost American lives.
let's say you're in school and this bully keeps jumping you and your friends when you're outside of school grounds
then some other guys who also get bullied by them offer to team up with you
both of you continue to get beat up but you at least put up a fight
eventually, you win over the bullies

now imagine a new bully comes in and starts to beat up the guys who helped you defeat the other bullies
instead of helping them, you say "fuck you, you're on your own"
that's what the US did to the Kurds. If you really think Trump is doing the right thing here, I don't think you'll ever be convinced he can do anything wrong and it's pointless to even try to convince you otherwise

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
let's say you're in school and this bully keeps jumping you and your friends when you're outside of school grounds

now imagine a new bully comes in and starts to beat up the guys who helped you defeat the other bullies
that's what the US did to the Kurds. If you really think Trump is doing the right thing here, I don't think you'll ever be convinced he can do anything wrong and it's pointless to even try to convince you otherwise
Now imagine that after you beat up the bully, you stayed for years to beat up on other bullies.
Instead of graduating, you're stuck beating up on bullies.

Last edited:

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
I realize your bed is completely soaked at this point, but this should make you feel better.

We're still exceptional, instead of sacrificing lives and $$$ indefinitely we're trying a new approach. In my opinion, we're upping our game.

actually it was the SDF along with Iraqi forces that took down ISIS with the HELP of the coalition including the USA

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Hillary Clinton and President Barack Obama are responsible for the open air slave markets currently being run in Libya. President Barack Obama's foreign policy fucked up our involvement (and cohesive lack thereof) in Syria.

So no apologies when I say fuck Obama's administration and Clinton's opinion on said decision currently being made as a result of what they caused. It sucks that the Kurds will be attacked by NATO member Turkey. Maybe NATO and allies need to setup up some tough love to get a member from being a murdering asshole.

Or is this another time small minded mouth breathers want to blame President Donald Trump for a mess he didn't create, all the while doing nothing on the world stage to help?

dolabla

Oct 9, 2013
Hillary Clinton and President Barack Obama are responsible for the open air slave markets currently being run in Libya. President Barack Obama's foreign policy fucked up our involvement (and cohesive lack thereof) in Syria.

So no apologies when I say fuck Obama's administration and Clinton's opinion on said decision currently being made as a result of what they caused. It sucks that the Kurds will be attacked by NATO member Turkey. Maybe NATO and allies need to setup up some tough love to get a member from being a murdering asshole.

Or is this another time small minded mouth breathers want to blame President Donald Trump for a mess he didn't create, all the while doing nothing on the world stage to help?
Was just about to say this. Hilarious coming from this witch. She caused nothing but destruction.

Kittehkraken

Jan 14, 2017
The middle east as a whole is an unwinnable war of attrition. They hate each other and probably always will.

Stay = People die and suffer, including America soldiers, in endless regional conflicts.
Leave = People die and suffer in endless regional conflicts.

Might as well save some money and keep America soldiers at home with that kind of outlook.

Reactions: Oner and dolabla
Mar 14, 2018

what did that analogy ever do to you, you fucking psychopath

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec

The idea that Fox News represents the views of Trump's base is, well, off-base. Generally speaking, they're against all mainstream news, Fox included.

Trump needs Fox News because they're the only mainstream coverage he has, but Fox News has a diversity of thought I don't think exists on the other networks. They have the Trump loyalists, the Republican moderates and the Republican Never-Trumpers like Shep Smith. Even their Dem contributors have a relatively strong voice, like Juan Williams. When I tune into MSNBC or CNN from morning to night their coverage is all flowing in the same direction, completely anti-Trump, the exceptions maybe being S.E. Cupp and Smerconish on weekends sometimes giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Members of the network have gone against him before and just as it didn't hurt him then, it won't here.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Lose lose situation.

Stay and fight Turkey and get more bogged down in Syria. Oh ya and Turkey is a NATO member and been threatning/blackmailing Europe with refugees for the last 5 years.

Leave and you are leaving an ally high and dry and letting Turkey do what Turkey do.

Intresting I didn't see the outrage over Turkey last week when Erdogen basically outlined this plan, probably because everyone was cheering him on shit talking Israel.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

But I keep hearing Fox & Friends isn't a reliable news outlet. Wouldn't this be a badge of honor?

The one to keep an eye on, if you are genuinely curious, would be Tucker Carlson. He is one of the more outspoken anti-war hosts on Fox and is pretty much the only person I'll watch on purpose from that network. Otherwise who cares what the rest of Fox thinks? You should watch Fox for a week and see how frequently a co-host or a guest is allowed to critique Trump. It's more than one might expect from "Trump's official propaganda outlet".

Reactions: Joe T.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Trump is doing a great service to the country for all voters of all political alignments. We get to hear the pundits and the politicians chime in to let you know exactly where they really stand when it comes to war in the middle east.

Vote accordingly. Even if you hate Trump, he's giving you a gift. Vote accordingly.

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
I do think getting involved to take out ISIS was necessary though. I know the Middle East was out of sight out of mind, but I considered them a major threat. I worried about them continually expanding and eventually getting hold of a nuke. They are the worst thing this planet has seen since Nazi Germany, they just obviously didn't have the scale and power they had, but in terms of ideology they are even more brutal and evil potentially. I just did not want them expanding any further they needed to be snuffed out ASAP.

Sometimes I do believe we need to intervene militarily, and I believe that was one.

Mar 14, 2018
I do think getting involved to take out ISIS was necessary though. I know the Middle East was out of sight out of mind, but I considered them a major threat. I worried about them continually expanding and eventually getting hold of a nuke. They are the worst thing this planet has seen since Nazi Germany, they just obviously didn't have the scale and power they had, but in terms of ideology they are even more brutal and evil potentially. I just did not want them expanding any further they needed to be snuffed out ASAP.

Sometimes I do believe we need to intervene militarily, and I believe that was one.
I mean ya, by the time it got to that point...

if the West didn't stick their dicks in, Assad could have buttblasted ISIS from day one. it was like intervening to try and correct the initial fuck up

MisterFalcon

Mar 12, 2013
I mean ya, by the time it got to that point...

if the West didn't stick their dicks in, Assad could have buttblasted ISIS from day one. it was like intervening to try and correct the initial fuck up
Assad is only good at gassing towns and torturing prisoners to death. His army was getting clowned from day one and only massive Russian and Iranian support kept him in power.

Reactions: Unknown Quantity

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
So just to take score the left that hates wars and US intervention wants US to bomb China and Turkey?

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
The idea that Fox News represents the views of Trump's base is, well, off-base. Generally speaking, they're against all mainstream news, Fox included.

Trump needs Fox News because they're the only mainstream coverage he has, but Fox News has a diversity of thought I don't think exists on the other networks. They have the Trump loyalists, the Republican moderates and the Republican Never-Trumpers like Shep Smith. Even their Dem contributors have a relatively strong voice, like Juan Williams. When I tune into MSNBC or CNN from morning to night their coverage is all flowing in the same direction, completely anti-Trump, the exceptions maybe being S.E. Cupp and Smerconish on weekends sometimes giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Members of the network have gone against him before and just as it didn't hurt him then, it won't here.
trump quotes fox and friends on twitter more than any other "news" source. speaking of that, fox and friends and hannity and such cannot legally be called "news". they're categorized as entertainment. they are not journalists. whenever trump calls outlets "fake news" he refers to every outlet except breitbart and fox news. it's funny to see people shying away from fox now that they're becoming more critical of him lately

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
So just to take score the left that hates wars and US intervention wants US to bomb China and Turkey?
Yep, that's the case alright.

I never thought I'd see the left turn into the pro-war party, but here we are.

Man, it feels good to vote for a President that believes in peace and responsible military usage.

Reactions: cryptoadam

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017

The thing is that I know history. This isn't the first time the U.S. has left the Kurds. I remember that at the end of Gulf War I, the U.S. let Saddam slaughter them. It used to be the cheeky thing to bring up when I was younger.

These days, I don't really give a crap about the Middle East, except I want our soldiers out of there. It's a no win situation for the West to be involved in, period. One of the big reasons I voted for Donald Trump, actually. Let the rest of the world deal with it. We need infrastructure and investment in our own country.

The U.S. has a graduation to attend while 'the bullies' can play in the sand pit.

Trump Forever!

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008

Man, it feels good to vote for a President that believes in peace and responsible military usage.
What does left or right have to do with this, when both parties condemned this action?

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

Trump hired Bolton OMG he is going to bomb Iran what a little Hitler, US is the worst, remember the Shah? USA is the reason for all the problems in mid east.

Trump isn't bombing China and Turkey, OMG he is the worst, little Hitler, USA will be the reason all the problems in the mid east.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

This is stupidest attempt I have ever seen to sum up our middle eastern foreign policy.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
What does left or right have to do with this, when both parties condemned this action?
Well, the leftist posters, in this thread, are defending keeping our troops indefinitely in the ME to fight an endless war.

I mean, if any leftist poster want to take the anti-war position, go ahead.

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
I thought it was common sense that both mainstream parties are pro war?

The difference being that the right never hid from it, while the left publicly pays "give peace a chance" lip service when convenient to secure votes, but when push comes to shove they're more than happy to send our troops into harms way and condemn anyone that actually DOES want to give peace a chance.

Patriots7

Jul 15, 2008
Well, the leftist posters, in this thread, are defending keeping our troops indefinitely in the ME to fight an endless war.

I mean, if any leftist poster want to take the anti-war position, go ahead.

All of the usual sycophants that have done irreparable harm to their spine for this administration are speaking out against the action. There is fundamental issues with this withdrawal that warrant discussion, rather than "lol Dems want war to spite Trump. Dumb dems."

Mar 14, 2018
All of the usual sycophants that have done irreparable harm to their spine for this administration are speaking out against the action. There is fundamental issues with this withdrawal that warrant discussion, rather than "lol Dems want war to spite Trump. Dumb dems."
you posted tweets from former hardcore never trumpers

ok some of them cucked in recent years but they are what they are

sneaky sneks never to be trusted

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
Assad is brutal no doubt, but sometimes in horrific war-like situations there is no perfect solution. Saddam was brutal too, but if we are being objective, taking him out destabilized the region and allowed for terrorist group expansion. The real world sometimes isn’t cut and dry, and not every situation is gonna be like Hitler where only one decision makes sense. I still don’t know either way if taking out Saddam made things better or worse over there, I guess it depends on who you are, who you support, and your perspective.

And sometimes the only two options are siding with evil and you need to choose the lesser of the two. It’s just unfortunate that part of the world is so crazy and there always needs to be constant meddling. For fucking decades now, man the Cold War and post WW2 really fucked that part of the world up. They had a chance to be normal too if they would have just embraced western ideals like they had in the 70s and such.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I mean, they've got to dial down the bigotry to keep the advertising dollars flowing.
Mainstream networks all share the same inherent drawbacks, Fox News more than others because they have a progressive non-profit group aligned with their direct competitor that's had its crosshairs squarely fixated on them for years. It's about money and power, not bigotry, because there's an alarming amount of that coming from the side that calls itself progressive.

trump quotes fox and friends on twitter more than any other "news" source. speaking of that, fox and friends and hannity and such cannot legally be called "news". they're categorized as entertainment. they are not journalists. whenever trump calls outlets "fake news" he refers to every outlet except breitbart and fox news. it's funny to see people shying away from fox now that they're becoming more critical of him lately
There's nothing new about it, not about them being more critical or about them moving away.

Trump isn't your average Republican, I think everyone can agree to that, and the same can be said of his supporters today. There's a diversity in his base that escapes the mainstream media and, as a result, the liberals that exclusively consume liberal media. The idea that the black or LGBT+ community could be warming up to Trump rather than running away shrieking scares the people that believe he's a racist/sexist monster.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
How come no one at the UN said a thing when Erdogen announced this plan about 2 weeks or so ago there?

I mean this was right in front of the UN, they could of called a special session and denounced this plan, passed resoultions, etc...

Reactions: Tesseract

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Apr 6, 2008
I bet Trump reverses course on his decision to pull out.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
How come no one at the UN said a thing when Erdogen announced this plan about 2 weeks or so ago there?

I mean this was right in front of the UN, they could of called a special session and denounced this plan, passed resoultions, etc...
It's as good a question as any, specifically why NATO allows a NATO member act contrary to the membership by allowing previous Warsaw pact weapons/alliances and threatens allies of other NATO members.

Can anyone from other NATO member countries speak to why they let Turkey do this? Is this desirable? Does the EU think Turkey is a good member as a result of Erdogans actions? How many more refugees are they looking to take on as a result?

Come on globalists, now is your time to shine.

Last edited:

pennythots

May 14, 2019
Intresting I didn't see the outrage over Turkey last week when Erdogen basically outlined this plan, probably because everyone was cheering him on shit talking Israel.
I don't think common knowledge on foreign policy extends past "Trump did thing"

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Good news for whom? Certainly not the Kurds. Why dont we just pull up root from Japan while we're at it?
Japan is not in open conflict with anyone other than dealing with beligerient NK during Kim's temper tantrums. Due to how well behaved Japan has been since WWII, and how built up their security forces are, I say we renegotiate our treaty with Japan and let Abe find the Samurai's balls to keep the Japanese influence in the Pacific a check against China and Russia.

But something tells me the world would bitch about that too.

gamerMan

Jun 10, 2014
toybuzz.org

I was waiting for the moment that Trump would unite Democrats and Republicans. He just became President, because he did the impossible. Kudos, Mr President. Your "unmatched wisdom" has united most of us.

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Japan is not in open conflict with anyone other than dealing with beligerient NK during Kim's temper tantrums. Due to how well behaved Japan has been since WWII, and how built up their security forces are, I say we renegotiate our treaty with Japan and let Abe find the Samurai's balls to keep the Japanese influence in the Pacific a check against China and Russia.

But something tells me the world would bitch about that too.
Japan has the 6th most powerful military in the world, and it isn't even a real military- it is just a "Self Defense Force". If they actually geared up an external force they could rival Russia or China, no sweat.

Reactions: desertdroog

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Assad is only good at gassing towns and torturing prisoners to death. His army was getting clowned from day one and only massive Russian and Iranian support kept him in power.
As opposed to the massive US and European support for ISIS and other Islamic jihadist groups?

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018