• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

Trump makes way for Turkey operation against Kurds in Syria

SpartanN92

Sep 7, 2012
let's say you're in school and this bully keeps jumping you and your friends when you're outside of school grounds
then some other guys who also get bullied by them offer to team up with you
both of you continue to get beat up but you at least put up a fight
eventually, you win over the bullies

now imagine a new bully comes in and starts to beat up the guys who helped you defeat the other bullies
instead of helping them, you say "fuck you, you're on your own"
that's what the US did to the Kurds. If you really think Trump is doing the right thing here, I don't think you'll ever be convinced he can do anything wrong and it's pointless to even try to convince you otherwise
Leave it to you to have an elementary school understanding of geopolitics

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
Leave it to you to have an elementary school understanding of geopolitics
I’m aware that I boiled it down to an elementary level analogy though in basic terms this is what is happening. Maybe instead of just shitting on my post, you could provide something constructive instead

Reactions: Tritroid

CeroFrio996

privileged little shit
Jun 20, 2019
that sounds like a 'them problem'
It was a "them" problem right up until we got involved...

Japan isn't an active warzone. Let's compare like situations with one another, shall we?
I realize the wording of my statement made it sound like a comparison, but legitimately think pulling military from Japan is a more reasonable move. If we're trying to decrease military presence throughout the world I'm in favor of that, but this move in particular seems like a bad idea.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Shaqazooloo

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016

For once in their sordid history, the CIA found themselves aligned with a moral and strategic superior: the peshmerga linked up with U.S. special forces ahead of the ground invasion and, by sabotage and guerrilla tactics, prevented Saddam from massing all of his forces in the south where the brunt of the coalition was staged to enter the country. Their actions likely saved the lives of hundreds if not thousands of military and civilian lives.
Not a single U.S. soldier would be killed in Kurdish-controlled territory for the duration of the war.

Fuck em, right guys ???

Last edited:

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
Did you even know who the Kurds were before today?
Yes. I’m not getting outraged because it’s another thing to attack trump over. I’m well aware of all the Kurds have done for us and how many Americans volunteered to fight along side them either in the combat role or as medics because of their support for us and their persecution at the hands of turkey

how ironic is it that trump pulls support from the Kurds yet deploys boots on the ground in Saudi Arabia? Trump doesn’t care about pulling out of the Middle East. He has no benefit to helping the Kurds. In fact, he has a very profitable business in turkey. He has interests with Saudi oil. He has zero benefit from helping Kurds, if anything it hurts his business.

too many people here blindly support trump despite him making decisions that personally enhance himself and not the country. Anyone who says it’s good we are pulling out needs to ask themselves why trump deployed troops in Saudi Arabia while simultaneously saying we need to get out of the Middle East

Last edited:

Kittehkraken

Jan 14, 2017

Fuck em, right guys ???
You know how the Vietnam War ended? The Americans left the South Vietnamese soldiers they trained and fought alongside to get steamrolled by the North. But sooner or later somebody in America had to have the balls to say enough is enough and leave.

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
It's not about staying there forever. It's about the US losing its "American Exceptionalism" status in the world
That's really good news for the rest of the world though. The US has goten away with so much shit because of this exceptionalism crap. It's time they lose some trust.

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
You know how the Vietnam War ended? The Americans left the South Vietnamese soldiers they trained and fought alongside to get steamrolled by the North. But sooner or later somebody in America had to have the balls to say enough is enough and leave.

trump doesn’t really care about getting troops out of the Middle East unless it’s to appease his base. In fact he sent soldiers to the Middle East after Saudi Arabia’s oil fields were attacked. Trump is certainly not the one with the balls.

im certainly not arguing we need to stay in the quagmire that is the Middle East, but protecting the Kurds is hardly that.

Zangiefy360

Aug 30, 2018
The left:

Then:
LEAVE VIETNAM AT ALL COSTS!!!

Now:
STAY IN THE MIDDLE EAST AT ALL COSTS!!!

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
Did you even know who the Kurds were before today?
I’m willing to bet he knew jack shit about the Kurds before today. I mentioned the Kurds of Iraq and like magic next post.......well. While I’m at it, Kurd women are very pretty. That can be the next Google search. Gotta teach these kids, brah. 😂

Kittehkraken

Jan 14, 2017

trump doesn’t really care about getting troops out of the Middle East unless it’s to appease his base. In fact he sent soldiers to the Middle East after Saudi Arabia’s oil fields were attacked. Trump is certainly not the one with the balls.

im certainly not arguing we need to stay in the quagmire that is the Middle East, but protecting the Kurds is hardly that.
Today its protecting the Kurds and tomorrow it will be somebody else. 12 Months from now America could be fighting the Kurds because they no longer align with whatever interests America has in the Middle East.

Just like Vietnam, the Middle East has no end game. You either leave or continue fighting indefinitely. Pick one.

Papu

May 11, 2005
Fuck em, right guys ???
Fuck em, right guys ???
It‘s NOT about the Kurds, PKK/YPG/Antifa is the target.
Would you rather fight them on your soil? Don‘t worry, there will be enough Soros backed Antifa Extremists for us all to fear. Do you get it now?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Maybe we should be placing the blame on I don't know TURKEY.

Its as if the US was bombing the Kurds themselves. How about some UN and coalition soldiers against Turkey. What about EU sanctions against Turkey? What about Syria/Iran/Russia fight the Turks since they are technically invading Syria.

Reactions: desertdroog

Tajaz2426

Jan 20, 2017
Beaufort, SC
It is funny watching that same people that would tell us we are monsters for being in the Middle East. Now all the sudden anti-war folks are extremely kill happy.

All 15 years in my Marine Corps career was spent in time of war. Our men and women are tired, but we are still there, I had 4 pumps in combat zones and there are many with even more. I’ve been there, the same people we helped with terrorists were attacking us the next week. It is so nice that some people are willing to sacrifice the lives of our service members for people they’ve never even met. Must be nice to sacrifice others for something they wouldn’t do.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
It's not about staying there forever. It's about the US losing its "American Exceptionalism" status in the world. It's losing its clout globally with the emergence of the trash that is Trump.

Trump's blunders and continued failures on the global stage will deteriorate the US' stance in the world.
That's really good news for the rest of the world though. The US has goten away with so much shit because of this exceptionalism crap. It's time they lose some trust.
Remember that the next time a country is faced with a natural disaster like a flood, tsunami, famine etc... and the first to put aid on the ground is the U.S.A. courtesy of our Nuclear powered Aircraft Carriers. In fact, how about we go Galt for real and start charging by the hour for the selfless actions of our troops whenever you poor sods look for a hand out.

I think the world needs a wake up call and can do with less aid and interference from the USA. President Donald Trump is keeping a campaign promise, and it is interesting to see Democrat and Republicans cry out and ree, yet Rand Paul is supporting this decision. It really illuminates the bloodthirsty factions in our politics, don't you think?

Oct 26, 2018
Whether it's the US or any other western country, just leave it be and others solve their squabbles. Not worth the costs (money and manpower) and hassles.

There's a civil war! US is going to participate and support Side A. Fucking assholes!
There's a civil war! US is going to participate and support Side B. Fucking assholes!
There's a civil war! US is going to stay on the sidelines. Fucking assholes!

Aliens from Neptune are invading Earth with death rays! US is going to lead the charge fighting back. Fucking assholes!
Aliens from Neptune are invading Earth with death rays! US is going to equally coordinate a counterattack with other countries. Fucking assholes!
Aliens from Neptune are invading Earth with death rays! US is going to stay on the sidelines. Fucking Assholes!

Last edited:

Ke0

Aug 10, 2012
Reading, Berkshire
Yupe...the tried and tested American strategy in the middle east- hurt the few good people!

Man you Americans suck at foreign policy since second world war- always at the wrong side of history. What kind of clowns do you have running your foreign policy?
The kurds are one of few somewhat secular liberal people there!
which is crazy but not shocking, given how the US fucked up Iran in the 70s

Oct 26, 2018
What's more amazing is how little Iran has progressed since the 70's. At some point a country has to take responsibility for being jack-off medieval cultists and stop blaming everything on America.
Yup.

Any company rich in oil just got handed a mother nature gimme for revenue, profits and an incredible mainstay for jobs and industry.

And somehow Iran (which is ranked I think 5th in the world) in oil is fucking it up. Venezuela is another one.

As for economy and progression the past 40-50 years, is there a country that has done more than Singapore. Incredible transformation.

Tesseract

Crushed by Thanos
Dec 7, 2008
The Pentagon
It is funny watching that same people that would tell us we are monsters for being in the Middle East. Now all the sudden anti-war folks are extremely kill happy.

All 15 years in my Marine Corps career was spent in time of war. Our men and women are tired, but we are still there, I had 4 pumps in combat zones and there are many with even more. I’ve been there, the same people we helped with terrorists were attacking us the next week. It is so nice that some people are willing to sacrifice the lives of our service members for people they’ve never even met. Must be nice to sacrifice others for something they wouldn’t do.
by the way these are the same shit birds (some in this very thread) who say they're leaving america soon because reasons

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
I’m willing to bet he knew jack shit about the Kurds before today. I mentioned the Kurds of Iraq and like magic next post.......well. While I’m at it, Kurd women are very pretty. That can be the next Google search. Gotta teach these kids, brah. 😂
I don’t even know how to respond to this. I wouldn’t say I’m an expert at foreign affairs or foreign policy in general but if there’s one group I’m most familiar with in the Middle East it’s the Kurds. all I’m going to say about you is that I feel bad for the people that are around you in real life

TheContact

Jan 22, 2016
It‘s NOT about the Kurds, PKK/YPG/Antifa is the target.
Would you rather fight them on your soil? Don‘t worry, there will be enough Soros backed Antifa Extremists for us all to fear. Do you get it now?

the PKK and YPG are only terrorists in the eyes of Turkish sympathizers so I guess we know what your beliefs are. It’s not genuine to compare antifa to ypg or pkk. Antifa are coward thugs, not a legitimate militant organization. I work with Boston PD and even they are more fearful of the proud boys and white supremsists because those guys have actually killed people while Antifa just throws piss in bottles and milkshakes.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
the PKK and YPG are only terrorists in the eyes of Turkish sympathizers so I guess we know what your beliefs are. It’s not genuine to compare antifa to ypg or pkk. Antifa are coward thugs, not a legitimate militant organization. I work with Boston PD and even they are more fearful of the proud boys and white supremsists because those guys have actually killed people while Antifa just throws piss in bottles and milkshakes.
No. You are gaslighting with grade-A bullshit.
Antifa has killed. I won't let this slide because this lie is used every time it is tried to paint AntiFa as something other than a violent anti-free speech anarchist group.

Last edited:
Reactions: DunDunDunpachi

crowbrow

Feb 28, 2019
Rand Paul is supporting this decision
Yeah and i really also support it, it's a good thing the US loses worldwide influence and chooses to focus more internally. Most of the support they give comes from ulterior motives. I think with supporting dictatorships and helping overthrow democratic governments by various means for decades has already done too much damage. It's time the international scene changes.

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017
I don’t even know how to respond to this. I wouldn’t say I’m an expert at foreign affairs or foreign policy in general but if there’s one group I’m most familiar with in the Middle East it’s the Kurds. all I’m going to say about you is that I feel bad for the people that are around you in real life
You got real familiar with the Kurds -today-. Is that what you meant to say? Because I think you are lying when you claim otherwise. Using personal insults doesn’t actually work in your favor here, either.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
But thanks for the Iranian Revolution, the Ayatolla's sent them back in time. It all turned to shit.
Thanks to the Iranian Revolution? What about what came before that set the stage for revolution?

The 1953 Iranian coup d'état, known in Iran as the 28 Mordad coup d'état (Persian: کودتای ۲۸ مرداد‎), was the overthrow of the democratically elected Prime Minister Mohammad Mosaddegh in favour of strengthening the monarchical rule of Mohammad Reza Pahlavi on 19 August 1953, orchestrated by the United States (under the name TPAJAX Project[5] or "Operation Ajax") and the United Kingdom (under the name "Operation Boot").[6][7][8][9] It was the first covert action of the United States to overthrow a foreign government during peacetime.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d%27%C3%A9tat#cite_note-Gasiorowski-11

USA needs to stop fucking up other countries because the longterm, unforseen consequenses have historically been terrible

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Thanks to the Iranian Revolution? What about what came before that set the stage for revolution?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'état#cite_note-Gasiorowski-11

USA needs to stop fucking up other countries because the longterm, unforseen consequenses have historically been terrible
Yes, the USA should not have propped up the Shah. And Iran's Ayatollah's are responsible for every misery their population experiences.

Compare and contrast the USA being able to turn a backwards, medieval culture where their emperor was viewed as a god. Japan is now a modern society that is contributing to the world in a positive manner, thanks to the influence of the USA.

Iran is a country that exports misery and threats and has no positive contributions to modern society.

1 for 2 isn't bad when you consider that Japan had less in common with a culture based on the Judeo-Christian Abrahamic religion than Iran, which has directly interfaced with the West for centuries.

Last edited:
Reactions: cryptoadam

Dev1lXYZ

Sep 1, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1953_Iranian_coup_d'état#cite_note-Gasiorowski-11

We went in to secure the oil fields and to clean up the mess that the British began in World War 2. They were either going to be under the influence of the US or Soviet Union after that. That’s why the US had to go in. We couldn’t have the Soviets have control over a vast energy supply in that area of the world. The Cold War was ugly all the way until the end.

Reactions: cryptoadam

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I thought it was common sense that both mainstream parties are pro war?

The difference being that the right never hid from it, while the left publicly pays "give peace a chance" lip service when convenient to secure votes, but when push comes to shove they're more than happy to send our troops into harms way and condemn anyone that actually DOES want to give peace a chance.

A Regular Guy

Feb 23, 2018
Good! If Europe doesn't like our decision, then they should take a whack at protecting the Kurds. I mean, my post sounds cold, but why do we need to stay there? Nothing has changed, and it will never change. I'm with autoduelist autoduelist I was a Bernie Bro in 2016 and voted Obama twice. Then I realize that Bernie had no spine and saw the corruption within Chicago IL. The Democratic Politicians don't give a shit about helping the lower-class or even want to stop joining in the conflicts of the middle east.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ornlu
Oct 26, 2018
Good! If Europe doesn't like our decision, then they should take a whack at protecting the Kurds. I mean, my post sounds cold, but why do we need to stay there?
Because like every crisis, everyone expects the US to be global bodyguards. Europe has something like 30 countries, yet somehow can't cooperate enough and build up forces. Most of the countries contribute probably nothing. They keep humming along to their own beat of high end living and expect the US, UK, France and Germany to do the legwork.

Reactions: A Regular Guy

A Regular Guy

Feb 23, 2018
Because like every crisis, everyone expects the US to be global bodyguards. Europe has something like 30 countries, yet somehow can't cooperate enough and build up forces. Most of the countries contribute probably nothing. They keep humming along to their own beat of high end living and expect the US, UK, France and Germany to do the legwork.
I'll tell you why, because spending on Military means that they'll have to cut back on affordable healthcare and free colleges for their people!

Coffe Time

Feb 19, 2018
Antifa has killed. I won't let this slide because this lie is used every time it is tried to paint AntiFa as something other than a violent anti-free speech anarchist group.
Don’t peddle fake news and conspiracy lies please. If you have proof, use better sources.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
Don’t peddle fake news and conspiracy lies please. If you have proof, use better sources.
Imagine, having the sum total of the world's knowledge at your fingertips and you want to be stuck on stupid. Here is a source for the slow of mind and easily fooled, perhaps it is more your speed?

About the shooter: A Twitter account that appears to belong to Dayton mass shooter Connor Betts retweeted extreme left-wing and anti-police posts, as well as tweets supporting Antifa, or anti-fascist, protesters.

Last edited:

Coffe Time

Feb 19, 2018
Imagine, having the sum total of the world's knowledge at your fingertips and you want to be stuck on stupid. Here is a source for the slow of mind and easily fooled, perhaps it is more your speed?

About the shooter: A Twitter account that appears to belong to Dayton mass shooter Connor Betts retweeted extreme left-wing and anti-police posts, as well as tweets supporting Antifa, or anti-fascist, protesters.

Take your shitty attitude elsewhere dude. Maybe you shouldn’t be looking at white supremacist propaganda sites, you brainwashed buffoon- you might learn a thing or two about the world.

MisterFalcon

Mar 12, 2013
Whenever an article starts with CONFIRMED I get suspicious and it always turns out to be bullshit.

Headline:
Democrat Dayton Shooter Was Part Of ANTIFA

Article text:

attended an armed protest, alongside Antifa,

From the source linked to:

He did not appear to be part of any group that was in the protest crowd.

Alx

Jan 22, 2007

This tweet is disturbing o_ O
Yeah, one can discuss the pros and cons of leaving Syria overnight, but that tweet sounds like insanity and megalomania. Self praise, direct threat to allies,... I mean, one can be a Trump supporter, but aren't you at least a tiny bit concerned that he could be turning senile ?
In any case being that impulsive can be dangerous. It actually sounds like he realized he took a rash decision with the withdrawal, and tries to correct it by oversteering in the opposite direction.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

Sep 29, 2013
Bohemia
If all the "Leaders of the Free World" like Macron, Merkel and Trudeau are so worried about Kurds they can go to the middle east and sacrifice their own troops to protect the Kurds. If the UN wasn't so useless they could actually deploy their peace keeping forces to make sure no genocide takes place, right? But who am I kidding, these people only care about Kurds if they can get free internet points for them. Donald at least gave them a chance by supporting them, which is way more than anyone else did.