• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump meets with tech leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nokterian

And the facial expressions say enough...

RTX2V2AT.jpg

"Why am i here with a 70 year old toddler?"

RTX2V2DE.jpg

Tim Cook "i am hungry, this place is boring, my feet hurt"

RTX2V2C6.jpg

Eric Schmidt "i just want to go home and take some sleep"

http://boingboing.net/2016/12/14/trump-meets-with-tech-elite-fr.html

With all this in mind, we contacted nine different American firms in the business of technology, broadly defined, with the following question: “Would [name of company], if solicited by the Trump administration, sell any goods, services, information, or consulting of any kind to help facilitate the creation of a national Muslim registry, a project which has been floated tentatively by the president-elect’s transition team?”

After two weeks of calls and emails, only three companies provided an answer, and only one said it would not participate in such a project. A complete tally is below.

Facebook: No answer.

Twitter: “No,” and a link to this blog post, which states as company policy a prohibition against the use, by outside developers, of “Twitter data for surveillance purposes. Period.”

Microsoft: “We’re not going to talk about hypotheticals at this point,” and a link to a company blog post that states that “we’re committed to promoting not just diversity among all the men and women who work here, but … inclusive culture” and that “it will remain important for those in government and the tech sector to continue to work together to strike a balance that protects privacy and public safety in what remains a dangerous time.”

Google: No answer.

Apple: No answer.

IBM: No answer.

Booz Allen Hamilton: Declined to comment.

SRA International: No answer.

CGI: No answer.

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/02...fuse-to-help-build-muslim-registry-for-trump/

Yikes... this is some scary shit right here.

Loxley

Elon Musk sitting in a room conversing with a guy who denies climate change and says it was a hoax invented by China.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in that meeting.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I know those expressions. I saw the same ones back when I worked a job with a total moron for a CTO.

Every 1-hour meeting was at least 45 minutes of people trying to explain to the moron why his ideas sucked and wouldn't work on a fundamental level.

The result are those expressions.

Plum

Elon Musk sitting in a room conversing with a guy who denies climate change and says it was a hoax invented by China.

Tim Cook's sitting in the same room as someone who appointed a supporter of gay """conversion therapy""" as his VP. I can feel the awkwardness from here.

Kahoona

Not to mention, didn't Trump criticize Musk at som point during his campaign?

Rayis

Thiel is the only pleased one there, but then again having a huge asshole be pleased is not a good thing

avaya

Also the where the fuck is Zuckerberg?

He should be there to stare directly at his creation. You can see Larry is reflecting. Can imagine Bezos is dying on the inside.

HvySky

I dunno how someone like Elon Musk has the restraint to not just lay into Trump after all the bullshit he's pulled, especially regarding climate change and the environment. He is a stronger man than I.

Osukaa

RTX2V2DE.jpg

LOL the Orange on the TV with his name matches his actual skin color

RTX2V2C6.jpg

Just being in the same room with that Orange Clown is making this guys hair raise lol

btrboyev

Why the fuck are Trumps kids in all of his meetings? Tell me that's not strangest thing ever.

That awkward as fuck handshake.

Nafai1123

Banned
This should be added to the OP to make it more terrifying.

With all this in mind, we contacted nine different American firms in the business of technology, broadly defined, with the following question: “Would [name of company], if solicited by the Trump administration, sell any goods, services, information, or consulting of any kind to help facilitate the creation of a national Muslim registry, a project which has been floated tentatively by the president-elect’s transition team?”

After two weeks of calls and emails, only three companies provided an answer, and only one said it would not participate in such a project. A complete tally is below.

Facebook: No answer.

Twitter: “No,” and a link to this blog post, which states as company policy a prohibition against the use, by outside developers, of “Twitter data for surveillance purposes. Period.”

Microsoft: “We’re not going to talk about hypotheticals at this point,” and a link to a company blog post that states that “we’re committed to promoting not just diversity among all the men and women who work here, but … inclusive culture” and that “it will remain important for those in government and the tech sector to continue to work together to strike a balance that protects privacy and public safety in what remains a dangerous time.”

Google: No answer.

Apple: No answer.

IBM: No answer.

Booz Allen Hamilton: Declined to comment.

SRA International: No answer.

CGI: No answer.

https://theintercept.com/2016/12/02...fuse-to-help-build-muslim-registry-for-trump/

Wag

Every 1-hour meeting was at least 45 minutes of people trying to explain to the moron why his ideas sucked and wouldn't work on a fundamental level.

Except this is the opposite:

Here we have Trump telling people what a great guy he is and how he's going to help them. Of course none of that is true.

Ogodei

Get this: Twitter was banned from the meeting because they refused to make a "Crooked Hillary" emoji.

Skin so thin you wonder why he doesn't bleed to death just putting on a shirt.

avaya

Brian Krzanich looks embarrassed to be there because he knows Bezos and co are judging him for being a Trump supporter.

I can not believe he said he can help them make better trade deals. Cook's realisation is that he has lost an ally in the US government to try and push back on the rampant retro-active tax clawbacks that AAPL and co will now face and further demands for regulation coming from the EU.

That sentiment is probably shared in that room - Silicon Valley can lobby the congress but it's now full of cretins and the idiot in Chief is gonna get clock cleaned in any battle with the EC.

Window

Oddly enough the article doesn't mention Karp's presence. The fact that Palantir was invited over other larger tech companies says a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom